Black Sails

Ninja mutant creatures unite. Here's the place to do it.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

gordyzx9r
Hero

Re: Black Sails

Unread post by gordyzx9r »

Tarvok wrote:Are they covered in other AtB suppliments? Is their nature ever revealed? Or are they just there as a teaser for GMs to use, or as a mechanism to isolate various sections from others (by preventing sea travel)?

They're not found in any AtB supplements. IMO they're there at the discretion of the GMs imagination as to how far he wants to take it.

But, outside of AtB, IIRC there was a black sailed fleet that appeard in a Rifts World Book at some time...I got rid of all my Rifts books years ago and can't remeber which book it was.
"Select the facts and you manipulate the truth!" - Calvin & Hobbes
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

If my info is correct, the use of black sails was used in leiu of pirate flags, or just as a scare tactic; it was expensive to get cloth for sails dyed, especially black (which was considered bad luck), and what ship used those kind of sails were generally considered either pirate or just plain trouble.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
CyCo
Hero

Re: Black Sails

Unread post by CyCo »

gordyzx9r wrote:But, outside of AtB, IIRC there was a black sailed fleet that appeard in a Rifts World Book at some time...I got rid of all my Rifts books years ago and can't remeber which book it was.

That was Rifts Australia from memory. I believe the Moloki have some trade agreement with the pirates (?) of the Black Sails. Or it could have been in Underseas....

Also, I think there was reference to Black Sails in a PFRPG book, probably Adventure in the High Seas.
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
AzathothXy
Adventurer

Unread post by AzathothXy »

The demon black ships are from PFRPG's Adventure at Sea. They also made an appearance in Rifts South America 1.
The Nuclear Chaos
That thing is not dead which has the capacity to continue to exist eternally,
And if the abnormal ones come,then death may cease to be

Unread post by Guest »

Tarvok wrote:Sounds like, in the future, there is a group--possibly an entire nation--of pirates dominating the South Pacific. Its really interesting how they just throw these teasers out. I wonder what Erick Wujick thinks when he sees those black sails?

Ironically, it's not so futuristic. There are currently pirates in the South Pacific. Erick's even mentioned an article on the pirates of Indonesia.
gordyzx9r
Hero

Kuseru Satsujin wrote:
Tarvok wrote:Sounds like, in the future, there is a group--possibly an entire nation--of pirates dominating the South Pacific. Its really interesting how they just throw these teasers out. I wonder what Erick Wujick thinks when he sees those black sails?

Ironically, it's not so futuristic. There are currently pirates in the South Pacific. Erick's even mentioned an article on the pirates of Indonesia.

Here is an official weekly piracy report website.
gordyzx9r
Hero

Therumancer wrote:...but got stuck there and eventually adapted to life in Fantasyland, learning magic and such as the supplies of bullets/explosives/etc... began to dwindle. The game went on for a while.

I sorta did the same thing, but it was a Star Frontiers into D&D crossover.
Grey Death
Adventurer

Unread post by Grey Death »

I always envisioned pirates mainly aquatic species. Anti-technology/Environmentalist types. All lead by a sentient coral reef.
gordyzx9r
Hero

I try to shy away from what the players would be expecting...in my campaign the pirates wouldn't be aquatic mutant animals.
Natalya

Unread post by Natalya »

Grey Death wrote:I always envisioned pirates mainly aquatic species. Anti-technology/Environmentalist types. All lead by a sentient coral reef.

I like the sentient coral reef idea. Maybe a hive mind/communal intelligence?
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Natalya wrote:
Grey Death wrote:I always envisioned pirates mainly aquatic species. Anti-technology/Environmentalist types. All lead by a sentient coral reef.

Dear god, if you guys only knew.....!!!
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
Grey Death
Adventurer

Thats what I had in mind.
Grey Death
Adventurer

Oh just had a thought. What if this coral reef had psionics. The Black ships were just illusions to distract from the reef. Using its psionics it turns the crews of the ships against each other. Eventually scutling the ships. Creating an artificial reef. Which is engulfed by the natural reef. Creating a larger reef quicker. Increasing its size and survivablity.
Grey Death
Adventurer

Chi Panda wrote:I recall this from back in the day and had the thought of the "black sails" actually being the dorsel fins of REALLY big somethings. Perhaps mutant sharks or even whales, or something more horrific.

Thats a very interesting idea.
Hale Chidduck: Do you believe in karma?
Joe Sarno: Karma's justice without the satisfaction. I don't believe in justice.

Unread post by Guest »

Chi Panda wrote:As is your psionic reef idea. William C Dietz used a similar concept in his Legion of the Damned series with a race of intelligent/psionic plankton.
I really should get the rest of that series, he has quite a few good ones though.

Return to “After the Bomb® RPG & TMNT®”