A question about permanence wards.

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

verdilak
Adventurer

A question about permanence wards.

Unread post by verdilak »

In PFRPG 2nd edition it says,
"Once activated, the ward is permanently affixed to that item or place and the entire ward phrase is indestructable and makes whatever other magic effect, be it caused by a ward, circle, magic curse, or magic spell, permanent and always active in the immediate area around the ward!"

My question is since you can make magic spells permanent, how do you do so? Cast a globe of daylight for example and then activate the permantent ward, or do you do both at the same time or vice versa? Also, do you cast the spell AT the permanent ward or is close proximity enough?

I ask because a player once thought of getting a 6 inch piece of metal pipe, put a glass end on one end, cast a globe of daylight inside the pipe and placed a permanent ward ont he other end and activated it.... Palladium style flashlights.

Also, if you can make spells permanent can you make them triggered? Such as a permanent Trigger + Undead + Inflict + Globe of Daylight + Permanent???

As a GM, I have allowed this sort of thing, just wondering what you guys say on the matter. (ps. I searched for the answer but couldnt find it)
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Re: A question about permanence wards.

Unread post by Goliath Strongarm »

verdilak wrote:In PFRPG 2nd edition it says,
"Once activated, the ward is permanently affixed to that item or place and the entire ward phrase is indestructable and makes whatever other magic effect, be it caused by a ward, circle, magic curse, or magic spell, permanent and always active in the immediate area around the ward!"

My question is since you can make magic spells permanent, how do you do so? Cast a globe of daylight for example and then activate the permantent ward, or do you do both at the same time or vice versa? Also, do you cast the spell AT the permanent ward or is close proximity enough?

I ask because a player once thought of getting a 6 inch piece of metal pipe, put a glass end on one end, cast a globe of daylight inside the pipe and placed a permanent ward ont he other end and activated it.... Palladium style flashlights.

Also, if you can make spells permanent can you make them triggered? Such as a permanent Trigger + Undead + Inflict + Globe of Daylight + Permanent???

As a GM, I have allowed this sort of thing, just wondering what you guys say on the matter. (ps. I searched for the answer but couldnt find it)

Alrighty.. none of this is "actual canon" but is based on multiple discussions on the boards, and with other gamers, from rulings Ive made, arguments Ive made, arguments Ive seen other players make, and decisions of other GMs Ive known. That said.....

There are 2 things required for the spell portion. #1- a duration other than instant. #2- a physical effect/effected item.

If the spell's duration is instant, no, you ain't gonna have time to get the ward going. In other words, no "I cast fireball then activate the ward, so that I can cast fireballs whenever i want". However, (I don't have the books with me, so bear with estimates and memory) if you have a spell that says "can cast 1 fireball per round, for the duration of the spell" and the spell has a duration of "1 round per level". Cast the spell, the attach a perm ward, you can now eternally cast 1 fireball per round.

I'm going to touch on requirement #2 now.Physical effect. There HAS to be something to attatch the ward to. IE, a wall of force has a wall to use. A spell like "globe of daylight" doesn't have an actual solid portion to attach to. Now, if the spell was like the D&D version "light" which enchants an object to glow, then yes, you could attatch a perm ward, and it would be eternal. But, by PB, no, you're flashlight won't work.

So, no, your undead ward set wouldn't work.

There's 'stories' of GMs who allow PCs who are both accomplished diabolists and wizards to figure out how to create a new ward (I've nicknamed it the storage jar) which will hold a spell, allowing a ward phrase like the undead one you mentioned.

Of course, if you're the GM, it's all your call. Hope this helped.
--
GS
Galadriel in leather! Yayayayayayaya!
>>>----Therumancer--->

Well, hang on to your seats boys and girls, but I agree with GS-Veknironth

[Goliath baiting]Hey, according to my copy of Yin-Sloth Jungles, they came out in 1995. Didn't you get your copies?[/Golaith baiting]-MrNexx, regarding the OK books

People don't like it when searching through a website is a pain in the butt (even if it's a proctology website)-Uncle Servo
verdilak
Adventurer

Goliath Strongarm wrote:Alrighty.. none of this is "actual canon" but is based on multiple discussions on the boards, and with other gamers, from rulings Ive made, arguments Ive made, arguments Ive seen other players make, and decisions of other GMs Ive known. That said.....

There are 2 things required for the spell portion. #1- a duration other than instant. #2- a physical effect/effected item.

If the spell's duration is instant, no, you ain't gonna have time to get the ward going. In other words, no "I cast fireball then activate the ward, so that I can cast fireballs whenever i want". However, (I don't have the books with me, so bear with estimates and memory) if you have a spell that says "can cast 1 fireball per round, for the duration of the spell" and the spell has a duration of "1 round per level". Cast the spell, the attach a perm ward, you can now eternally cast 1 fireball per round.

I'm going to touch on requirement #2 now.Physical effect. There HAS to be something to attatch the ward to. IE, a wall of force has a wall to use. A spell like "globe of daylight" doesn't have an actual solid portion to attach to. Now, if the spell was like the D&D version "light" which enchants an object to glow, then yes, you could attatch a perm ward, and it would be eternal. But, by PB, no, you're flashlight won't work.

So, no, your undead ward set wouldn't work.

There's 'stories' of GMs who allow PCs who are both accomplished diabolists and wizards to figure out how to create a new ward (I've nicknamed it the storage jar) which will hold a spell, allowing a ward phrase like the undead one you mentioned.

Of course, if you're the GM, it's all your call. Hope this helped.

Hmmm... I think I understand part 1. but a question on it, if you can place a permanence ward on a fireball to be able to eternally cast 1 fireball per round, that to me sounds a bit off... to my way of thinking if you did that, you would just have 1 fireball that you can direct mentally that sticks around with you for ever (since fireballs have no SDC). Only if you had a premade ward (lets say that its built into a staff) and cast the spell into the ward/staff much like the Talisman spell/ritual and then energized the ward, then you would be able to cast fireballs eternally at the rate of 1 per round per level of the mage at the time it was made. Thats my opinion though.

And 2. Why wouldnt you think so? if you see the rules it says any magic that is in the immediate area around the ward. So if you cast a Globe of daylight right by a permant ward and activated it, then the globe of daylight should stay there permanently. Though I guess if you really wanted to be a stickler you could I guess add an Area Effect to the Permanent.
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Unread post by Goliath Strongarm »

verdilak wrote:Hmmm... I think I understand part 1. but a question on it, if you can place a permanence ward on a fireball to be able to eternally cast 1 fireball per round, that to me sounds a bit off... to my way of thinking if you did that, you would just have 1 fireball that you can direct mentally that sticks around with you for ever (since fireballs have no SDC).

What I mean is, if a spell (not the spell fireball, a different spell.. we'll call it 'firetosser' for now) allowed you to cast one fireball per round. The spell is cast on the CASTER. And that's where you'd apply the perm ward. The CASTER. Not the fireball itself. See what I'm saying? If a spell is enchanting a person/item, then you can apply the ward to that person/item, to keep the spell effect.

And 2. Why wouldnt you think so? if you see the rules it says any magic that is in the immediate area around the ward. So if you cast a Globe of daylight right by a permant ward and activated it, then the globe of daylight should stay there permanently. Though I guess if you really wanted to be a stickler you could I guess add an Area Effect to the Permanent.

Ehh.. like I said, I don't have my books with me. But, I do remember us finally deciding it wouldn't work, strictly as written. We actually had to modify some things, create a varient spell. I just don't remember all the particular details.
--
GS
Galadriel in leather! Yayayayayayaya!
>>>----Therumancer--->

Well, hang on to your seats boys and girls, but I agree with GS-Veknironth

[Goliath baiting]Hey, according to my copy of Yin-Sloth Jungles, they came out in 1995. Didn't you get your copies?[/Golaith baiting]-MrNexx, regarding the OK books

People don't like it when searching through a website is a pain in the butt (even if it's a proctology website)-Uncle Servo
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

I would probably allow a permanent Globe of Daylight, but it wouldn't be able to leave the immediate area around the ward.
Attach the ward to a movable object, or the caster, and the globe could follow the object around.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

verdilak wrote:

Thoth used a perm ward to make a Impenetrable wall of Force spell perminent. I think this is found in the text of the Old Ones Book in 'The Places of Magic' adventure.

...snip...

Going to let others answer this one.
..snip
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Sgt Anjay
Hero

Unread post by Sgt Anjay »

Here's the rub....you have to attach the ward to the target of the spell, not just around where the spell is cast. You cast a spell on an item and then you put the ward on the item. You cast an area spell and the ward goes in the area the spell effects. Cast a spell on someone and you attach the ward to them. So what's the target of Globe of Daylight? Well, it always stays near and is under the control of only one person: the caster. You can't cast it on a buddy and let them scout ahead past the 30' radius. You cant cast it on a doorway to keep vampires out while you go explore, or make good an escape. The spell is always centered on and controlled by you. So while the Globe can move around, the actual target of the magic is you; it's a self spell. Since you can only cast it on yourself....you can only permanent that spell on yourself. That's my take.
"Cuando amanece se van a inflictir, duros castigos y oscuros tormentos, a los que ni quieren ni dejan vivir" -'Posada de los Muertos'
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
verdilak wrote:

Thoth used a perm ward to make a Impenetrable wall of Force spell perminent. I think this is found in the text of the Old Ones Book in 'The Places of Magic' adventure.

No, he used one to make a Barrier of Thoth spell permant ;)
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Sgt Anjay wrote:Here's the rub....you have to attach the ward to the target of the spell, not just around where the spell is cast.

No, you don't.
PFRPG, p. 132
"This ward symbol must be carved from the bone of a dragon, demon, devil, godling, or god and combined with an area affect ward. Once activated, the ward is permanently affixed to that item or place and the entire ward phrase is indestructable and makes whatever other magic effect, be it caused by a ward, circle, magic curse or magic spell, permanent and always active in the immediate area around the ward!"

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Sgt Anjay
Hero

Unread post by Sgt Anjay »

Read closer. The part you put into italics refers to what happens after the ward has been carved, attached, and energized. It's active in the immediate area because you attached an area effect ward, not because any spell targeted at any random thing nearby sticks to permanence wards. You attach the ward to whatever you're casting the spell onto, otherwise what's the connection between the ward and the spell?
"Cuando amanece se van a inflictir, duros castigos y oscuros tormentos, a los que ni quieren ni dejan vivir" -'Posada de los Muertos'
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Sgt Anjay wrote:Read closer. The part you put into italics refers to what happens after the ward has been carved, attached, and energized.

Yes, attached to an item or to a PLACE.
It NEVER ONCE says that it has to be attached to the Target of the Spell.

It's active in the immediate area because you attached an area effect ward, not because any spell targeted at any random thing nearby sticks to permanence wards. You attach the ward to whatever you're casting the spell onto, otherwise what's the connection between the ward and the spell?

The connection is that you intend to make that spell permanent.
The ward can be placed anywhere near the spell.

verdilak
Adventurer

In the Rifter 25, page 93/94, under the heading Questions & Answers
By Rodney Stott, Shawn Merrow & Kevin Siembieda

What are the rules for combining the Permanence
Ward with normal spells? I can see how they
could be added to circles.

The spell itself must be cast when the Permanence Ward is
activated by the Diabolist. This requires both spell casters to
work together.
Only spells which have a duration can be enhanced by the
Permanence Ward, so it cannot be used to make spells like Fire
Ball permanent.
If the ward is used to make a spell like Armour of Ithan permanent,
it will not provide any magical regeneration, so once
the magical armor's S.D.C. has been depleted, it will not regenerate
back to normal.
The ward itself must be fixed to the target of the spell, or be
within its area of effect (attached to the floor or wall, a door,
etc.). For example, a permanent Wall of Fire would need the
ward fixed to the floor under the wall of fire itself. If attached to
a living creature (i.e., human) it must be physically attached
such as placed under the skin or sewn to the skin of the person
to be affected.

Can the Power Ward be used to enhance Spell
Magic?

No, the Power Ward cannot be used to enhance Spell Magic,
it can only be used for boosting other wards and affecting Ward
Magic.
Crazy Lou
Hero

Unread post by Crazy Lou »

Why go with something as weak as lightening arc? How about invulnerability? Or little force? or like he said invincible armor, or supernatural endurance/strength/speed/magical adrenal rush/speed weapon??? That's the way to go...

Anyway, the reason I even entered this thread was to ask: what're the rules about attaching a permenance ward to supernatural creatures/creatures of magic? Are you allowed to attach all those things to a godling? Also how could you make a permenant summoning like say phantom the air warlock spell, or something? Finally, is there a limit to how many wards you can attach to a single being? Like can I make 10+ spells permenant on a being if I have the necessary bones?

Maybe a copy of the entire spell would be helpful, I dunno.

Thanks
"If it's dangerous, do it. If it's suicidal, do it NOW!" -- Graffiti painted outside a Juicer Bar

nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit. -- Seneca The Younger
Scrud
Explorer
Comment: Truth is subjective, which is the very reason I must rely on you to make the right choice.
Location: Alone pondering whether or not I'm a Dopplaganger or not, whether or not I'm doing the right thing

Unread post by Scrud »

Crazy Lou wrote:Why go with something as weak as lightening arc? How about invulnerability? Or little force? or like he said invincible armor, or supernatural endurance/strength/speed/magical adrenal rush/speed weapon??? That's the way to go...

Anyway, the reason I even entered this thread was to ask: what're the rules about attaching a permenance ward to supernatural creatures/creatures of magic? Are you allowed to attach all those things to a godling? Also how could you make a permenant summoning like say phantom the air warlock spell, or something? Finally, is there a limit to how many wards you can attach to a single being? Like can I make 10+ spells permenant on a being if I have the necessary bones?

Maybe a copy of the entire spell would be helpful, I dunno.

Thanks

Only one perm ward per person and only on mortals no supernatural and no creatures of magic

-and as a note wearing constant pinkish glowing platemail (Invincable Armor) would be quite inconveniot

-I'd go with the permenent 4-D transformation and since you never leave the transformation you'll never go insane
-Floops of the Megaverse beware, Scrud the Flooper Slayer is on the Prowl

Crazy Lou
Hero

Good thinking on the 4-D thing. Out of curiosity, what happens if you try to put multiples on a person? Does it just not work, or does something bad happen, or what?
"If it's dangerous, do it. If it's suicidal, do it NOW!" -- Graffiti painted outside a Juicer Bar

Scrud
Explorer
Comment: Truth is subjective, which is the very reason I must rely on you to make the right choice.
Location: Alone pondering whether or not I'm a Dopplaganger or not, whether or not I'm doing the right thing

Unread post by Scrud »

Crazy Lou wrote:Good thinking on the 4-D thing. Out of curiosity, what happens if you try to put multiples on a person? Does it just not work, or does something bad happen, or what?

-Not at home but I think the ward turns the person into an equvalint of a COM and new wards will simply be a watse of time as they would be incapable of being activated

-of couse you could have the old one removed (painfully and with a loss of its magic powers) and have a new one put on
-Floops of the Megaverse beware, Scrud the Flooper Slayer is on the Prowl

Crazy Lou
Hero

Thanks much.

Btw, about your signature, wouldn't the answer to the 4D cube riddle be that it dosn't look like anything because a cube is a 3 dimensional object, so it can't exist in a 4th dimensional plane? The 4th dimensional equivelent would be a hypercube, not just a cube, so it's a trick question b/c things of a lower or higher dimension can't exist in any but their own. For instance, a peice of paper is considered 2D by most standards, but really it's 3D but it has extremely small depth. The same goes for a line drawn by a pencil or pen, right?

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”