Technology Security Against Telemechanics?

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

LostOne
Champion

Technology Security Against Telemechanics?

Unread post by LostOne »

I was curious what kinds of security various places would have against psychics, specifically Telemechanics and the telemechanics powers (mental operation, possession, etc)?

What would the CS do to hinder/stop it?

What would tech on Phase World do to hinder/stop it?

Is this addressed in the books anywhere? Because it seems to me that a Psi-Tech could own Phase World or Lone Star if there is no security stopping it.
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
Kryzbyn
Hero
Comment: How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

It talks about that in Aftermath. Archie has put psicrystals in his robot creations (tech from the mechanoids) that blocks telemechanics from discovering the recorder devices in his creations, so the precedent is set.
It specifically talks about them in his Titan series robots.

BAD MOMMA DOG-FACE BANANA PATCH
"Well said, Kryzbyn! :ok: " -Killer Cyborg
"...I have to agree with the questions and comments made by Kryzbyn." - The man himself, Kevin Siembieda
+100 "acting like a real man" points - DLDC
"Damnit, we agree on something. It's time to rethink my position." - Misfit KotLD
HIPPIES ARE WHAT D-BEES EAT
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Phase Tech also already has built-in defences apparently. NO ONE other than a promethian can figure it out, period.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

Mr. Pook wrote:The CS has more than a few psychics of their own, many of whom will instantly know if you use a psionic power within 1000 feet of them (i.e. dog boys and psi-stalkers). They would simply place guards on sensitive equipment and electronics, just like people do today. There doesn't really need to be a fancy technological solution.

What if the telemechanics using psychic is out of the guard psychic's range? The CS probably doesn't have enough psychics to guard every sensitive system in all their bases. What if the psychic is on the other side of the base (or even outside the base accessing it remotely somehow) accessing the sensitive stuff through the network? Granted the most sensitive stuff probably won't be on the network, it'll be in a closed room unconnected with the outside world, but still.
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
Nikoli
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Nikoli »

CS barely trusts the psychics it has, at least it did prior to Psycape being printed and every psychic and his dog was allowed in. I see them using a Dog-pack to guard the gear, but not psi-stalkers and other psychics (never know when one is actually a psi-ghost).
Then again, there are powers to circumvent the sensing abilities.
Like Alter aura or mask isp & psionics.

I had forgotten about the tiatn circumvention, that I could see in Phase World, given the high levels of psi-integrating tech available there. May have to use that one (have a pesky Psi-Ghost who wants to steal everything)
"oh no, times almost up, enjoy space little rock!" - Prince Artemis
"Hello Mr. Shiney Pants!" - Major Victory
"So what you fetchin' to do with that there bazookie, young man?"
"Kreeghor hunting, officer, sir..." - Talismn
Esckey
Adventurer

Unread post by Esckey »

Isn't there something in the books about Technomechanics and AIs?
God says he loves me, but I suspect he's just in it for the sex

Never underestimate someone as insane as I am

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it

"Come Filthy Assistants!!"- Spider Jerusalem
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

It would probably be a noro technology. They are responible for creating a variety of PSI based technologies. Im sure they could create or integrate their PSI locks into existing technologies. There would have to be the installation of a new type of circut board or something to that effect. Perhpas their military ships have this technology as a form of circuit hardening to prevent ships from being psionically controlled. On the other hand being a noro ship behaps that would be counter productive. Given they probably want to run a ship with as few people as possible. Bottom line while I believe the technology is possible I dont believe it would be widespread or comercially available unless in the form of a security service to harden computer controlled doors and security systems.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

It actually says in the description of the Machine People that there are security devices to prevent them from plugging into certain power armors. I would imagine this would be part of every banks security system in the galaxies.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Phase Tech also already has built-in defences apparently. NO ONE other than a promethian can figure it out, period.

Thats be cause many of the working parts of a phase device exist in and out of phase so the telemecanics can only pick up things in your reality.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Phase Tech also already has built-in defences apparently. NO ONE other than a promethian can figure it out, period.

Except another Phase Mystic...and they are sworn NEVER to tell.. unless they want to :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
So again..say it with me lads & lasses "The final call on any ruling, is the GM's "
Though personaly, I'd still have it as "forbidden tech" just cuz I don't want my players making pahse microwave ovens and dimensional Kaibo's :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

gadrin wrote:
Nikoli wrote: May have to use that one (have a pesky Psi-Ghost who wants to steal everything)

Rifts GMG has a neat sensor called the Ecto-Sensor which will detect invisible people and "Ghosts" like astral beings. I think it'll work on Psi-Ghost's intangibility, you can check it out and make your own ruling. I'd give an option for a hand-held model for Phase World.

also, in Phase World, the Phantom RCC can abandon their solid forms to become their natural form which is an energy pattern. The RCC description also mentions that on Phase World you can buy special "Phantom Catcher Fields" to trap them. They're probably electro-magnetic in nature and I think Psi-Ghosts have the same aversion to electricity -- at any rate I simply say there's an "advanced model" that'll catch both ! :lol: No reason that one can't get smuggled down to Rifts Earth from the 3G.

YMMV :D

Psi Ghosts really really really hate EM & Electric fileds beyond a certain range.. and force fields of any sort screw 'em up.
So that's one way to trap those pesky thieves :D

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”