I made a race now how do I do the Background and name???

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

I usually start with the idea first and hammer out the stats later, but as ye will...

1.) Excellent Attributes.: I chose: I.Q. 4d6+1 M.E.:3d6 M.A:3d6 P.S:3d6 P.P.:4d6+1 P.E.:3d6 P.B.:4d6=1 S.P.D:3d6
2.)Damage Capacity: I rolled 64 so there Minor M.D.C beings
3.) Alien appearence: Humaniod.
4.) Physiological modifications: Earth-like world
5.) Unusual Characteristics:Unusual Eyes: Large Eyes (I descibe them as Anime like)
6.) Unusal Powers: Wingless Flight
7.) Tech Level: Mature Space Age.
8.) Magical Level: Magic Using Culture
9.) General Attitude/Culture: Warrior.

Okay, they're fast, they're smart, they're agile, they're beautiful...they're anime like and they're magic-using warriors....go with the anime angle...Call them the Phtun or the Magna Mystisis.....They're an arrogant bunch of pretty-boys and -girls who see themselves as the next 'in' thing(in short, being smart, agile, and beautiful, they're full of themselves), and whose culture is based on riding the buzz of attention(basically, it's as if the paparazzi were a voting block; the more attention somebody gathers, the greater their political clout and standing in society)....Hence, every major action they take is an opportunity for them to look cool and wow onlookers...THis means big heroics, lots of skills in performance and acting(and grooming), and an emphasis on style, including in combat...(describe any combat they're involved in as having lots of anime-style 'freeze frames', battlecries meant to impress, and called out attacks)....The real extremists are absolutely snooty and go about picking fights or assigning themselves to adventurers who they think need their help...
On the other hand, when these guys lose their cool and fall from grace, they go absolutely seedy...the full angst and booze circuit, until theyb find their way back home or regain their confidence....While there are a lot of these guys running around catching the attention of the media and local authorities, there's an equal, if not greater, number of them lapsed into obscurity and disillusionment, after trying their fortunes and getting smacked down by reality.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Ninjabunny wrote:Would it seem right if the world/race was part of the U.W.W or the C.C.W.? I was thinking it was indpendent But the Kreegohor are starting to show intrest im them and they are going to join one of the two. I'm not sure though if they can do that wit there tech and magic level? sorry to bug everyone it's my first time making a race and I went Random to boot.

Depends on who would offer them the most amount of attention...The CCW's the best choice, because of the free press and celebrity culture...but the TGE could suck them in by buttering them up, getting them to lower their guard, then turning their culture into a Kreeghor-dominated police state...but try convincing some of the Phtun that's the case in going over to the TGE...

Tech and Magic Levels? Again...traditional anime-style...flashy gadget-happy culture..fast hovercars, wrist computers, holographic interfaces...think Tokyo Mall scene....Magic? Combination of traditional shamanic or religious magic(demon-sealing wards, prophesy-devices like I-Ching and holy fires) and combat-oriented magic...the flashier the better..(Speed Weapon on swords, fireball-throwing, lightning blasts, tidal waves...like a bad video game).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

It sounds like an interesting race! I hope to hear how it developes! :ok:
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

No problem. Just watching and waiting.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Ninjabunny wrote:Thanks again, I'm really like the ideal now of them being glory hogs in battle. I think Turbo Jockeys would be a common O.C.C , maybe Combat mage from Rifts Merc Adventure, and maybe Gunfighters. any other O.C.C that would be come to them. I think most men at arms would work, but what about magic users should I limit it to combat mage, shamans, Techno-wizards? Any scholars in this race or should they be looked down apon?

THey can have a range of classes, but those you mention would be the most common...
And like any society/culture/race, they'll have some who don't match up to profile...so you can have scholars and scientists, but as you suggest, they're either fiercely competitive(think 'Iron Chef Meets Mister Wizard' with insane competitions between master chemists or robojockies) or spotlight-hogging self-promoters(like Doctor Phil McGRaw)...but the scholar who wants to sit back and be left alone to study and contemplate the works of others will be seen as wasting his talents, or otherwise 'off'.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Ninjabunny wrote:They use Magic to help out there High tech Space Ships. I'd say 4 space Coloies you knowlike the one in Gundam (sorry its the only thing I can think of, off hand) .
:? I have another question what is the most likily way for Aliens and ofther Races to meet in Phase world? Is it like Star Trek do they watch them and see if there people are ready or if there capable of space flight then interfer or whatever? OR is it just "Hey how are you were Aleins stoping in for a drink and bite. Had to drain the old lizard! How you doing whats your race?" Or are all races knowen and been know for sometime, and it's up to me to explain this races history to the rest of the universe. Cause I was thinking makeing it a race thats just been found within the last 20 years. Can I do that and still be close to Canon? (Granted I know the G.M can do as they please But I try to play by the rules.)

The Prime Directive only works in unified cultures with really strong ethos systems....In Phaseworld, I'd say the main source of contact is with mercantile ships and prospectors looking for new products to sell, markets to open up, and places to refuel/restock...The dummies go in blind, unmindful of long term consequences...the evil go in, buy, sell, loot, and leave, the smart ones do extensive scouting and research before landing and announcing their presence, the smart AND evil learn to make the locals utterly dependent on them...
Unless there's a real strategic reason to make contact with a less advanced culture, the CCW won't bother making first contact...the TGE and NE might just rush in to snatch up a new race as allies/slaves before somebody else gets to them, but they've been known to pass up worlds that they just lack the resources to cuddle or enslave for little return.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stormseed
Explorer

Unread post by Stormseed »

taalismn wrote:(the more attention somebody gathers, the greater their political clout and standing in society)

A cynical man might say that this happens a lot on Earth - I'll leave that to some other cynical man.
taalismn
Priest

Stormseed wrote:
taalismn wrote:(the more attention somebody gathers, the greater their political clout and standing in society)

A cynical man might say that this happens a lot on Earth - I'll leave that to some other cynical man.

Sounds like my cue...

It happens a lot on Earth....What else would explain some of the vapid, brain-empty, media idols who hold far more of our media's attention than they should, over far more interesting(and relevant) subjects and people?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Sounds like a good start.... :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Unless they had a fairly powerful military, they might be introuble.

HH....FIE
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Ninjabunny wrote:About the Attributes, What does non-supernatural mean? Is it augmentied robotic what? It says a power punch does 1d4 but everything else is normal what does that mean? :?

In the context of the chart, it means that strength and endurance are not supernatural. Weight capacity would be as an ordinary human, and these beings would still fatigue normally, but because of their steel-hard bodies, they can perform mega-damage power punches.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”