Minion Wars

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

Go take a look at the latest Press Release.

~ Josh
Carl Gleba
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

I'm told the upcoming Rifter has some details. I'm curious myself.

Carl
ImageImage
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

Rifter 35? I am not buying it if it only has swimsuit stuff.
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

shadrak wrote:Rifter 35? I am not buying it if it only has swimsuit stuff.

It doesn't.

It WILL have articles.

~ Josh
Last edited by Josh Sinsapaugh on Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

I'm sure there is more in Rifter #35 than just the swimsuits. I'm going to pick it up no matter what. I have to keep the collection complete!
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

Aramanthus wrote:I'm sure there is more in Rifter #35 than just the swimsuits.

I told myself the same thing when I first saw the Rifts Main Book.

Man was I wrong! :D
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Josh Sinsapaugh

Re: Minion Wars

Sir Ysbadden wrote:
rc wrote:I'll buy it, but only for the articles :)

I must have missed something. What is this minion wars you speak of?

Minion wars is the next big crossover series being put out by palladium it will begin with this dimention book

Rifts® Dimension Book 10: Hades – Pits of Hell™ – new – by Carl Gleba – a stand-alone Dimension Book/sourcebook and Part One in the Minion War Crossover series! 160 pages – $18.95 retail – Cat. No. 872. Ships September 27, 2006.

and continues with

Rifts® Dimension Book 11: Dyval – Hell Unleashed™ – new – The Minion War series Part Two, but also works as a stand-alone Dimension Book. 160 pages – by Carl Gleba – $18.95 retail – Cat. No. 873. Ships Nov. 17, 2006.

and i believe it wraps up in

Rifts® Dimension Book 12: Dimensional Outbreak™ – new – The Minion War series Part Three; a Phase World® adventure sourcebook. 160 pages – by Carl Gleba – $18.95 retail – Cat. No. 877. Ships Dec. 8, 2006 (tentative; could slip into January).

I hope this helped catch you up with this really exciting upcoming release.

Actually, there are two more books in the series.

~ Josh
Josh Sinsapaugh

darkmax wrote:PS: For those who do not know, Mog-guai is a Cantonese word meaning demon.

Heh, you learn something new every day...

:)

~ Josh
Carl Gleba

Ninjabunny wrote:I WANT INFO! *little rabbit yells while on his soap box* I've been going stir crazy over Minion wars! I wanna see cover art more details Demons and other things! *Grabs chest and falls over twiching his little rabbit leg*

You want this?

Now lets get those pre-orders in :D

Carl
ImageImage
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

According to the entry on Minion Wars Book One, the final book will be called Megaverse In Flames, with a possible Minion War Aftermath book to follow.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
clawingwolf
Explorer

Unread post by clawingwolf »

Is anyone else kinda freak out about the accountment of Rifts Earth finale, Megaverse in Flames, like to that just makes me think series ender??!! and i really dont want the rifts series to end, so please, tell me i'm just parionad and rifts isn't gonna end.

Plus i can't really see Palladium do a white wolf , end the world and come out with a new version of there game
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

clawingwolf wrote:Is anyone else kinda freak out about the accountment of Rifts Earth finale, Megaverse in Flames, like to that just makes me think series ender??!! and i really dont want the rifts series to end, so please, tell me i'm just parionad and rifts isn't gonna end.

Plus i can't really see Palladium do a white wolf , end the world and come out with a new version of there game

Just ignore the 'canon' and keep going.
It's not like 'World of Darkness' where every detail MUST conform to the written word, and all the global games MUST adhere to rigid history and meta plot. I don't think they'll stop writing Rifts books. It's too much of a cash cow, and we fans would prolly lynch Siembiada if he was stupid enough to axe the setting, or do a "re-do-over" like WW. :D
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Carl Gleba

clawingwolf wrote:Is anyone else kinda freak out about the accountment of Rifts Earth finale, Megaverse in Flames, like to that just makes me think series ender??!! and i really dont want the rifts series to end, so please, tell me i'm just parionad and rifts isn't gonna end.

Kevin would never let me do that. Besides I don't want it to end. There is still a lot of potential out there.

Carl the franchise killer :demon:
ImageImage
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

Having an "Aftermath" book is a good idea, much as it was for the Seige On Tolkeen series. The book gave the reader (at least this one) a view of Rifts Earth post-Seige, & provided useful info for immediate future campaigns.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Josh Sinsapaugh

I'm pretty sure that "Megaverse in Flames" refers simply to the fact that the war has been taking place across much of the Megaverse for a loooong time.

I severely doubt that it hints at a lasting implications.

Also, remember that the Minion War has been going on for many, many, years, so I doubt that it will end with a five book project.

That's all guess work and inference though.

~ Josh
Steve Dubya
Hero
Comment: Disingenuous mountebanks and their subliminal chicanery! A pox on them! - Homer Simpson

Unread post by Steve Dubya »

Well, it wasn't much of a crossover, but the last series was the poorly received Coalition Wars (more commonly referred to as the Seige on Tolkeen).

Owing to rather...odd...choices by the writers, that one faired significantly less than was hoped.
"Things aren't what they used to be" is the rallying cry of small minds. When men say things used to be better, they invariably mean they were better for them, because they were young, and had all their hopes intact. The world is bound to look a darker place as you slide into the grave.
Best Served Cold, Joe Abercrombie
Josh Sinsapaugh

You Know wrote:Well, it wasn't much of a crossover, but the last series was the poorly received Coalition Wars (more commonly referred to as the Seige on Tolkeen).

Owing to rather...odd...choices by the writers, that one faired significantly less than was hoped.

Poorly recieved?

Maybe by a few loud people on these forums, but by no means by the majority of the fanbase.

~ Josh
Josh Sinsapaugh

Re: Minion Wars

Ziem the Munkee wrote:
Sir Ysbadden wrote:Minion wars is the next big crossover series being put out by palladium it will begin with this dimention book

What were the previous crossover series? As I begin to branch out from Rifts, this could be a fabulous way to do it. :)

AFAIK, Palladium has never had another crossover series. I believe there were talk of a few back in the day, but the Minion War will be the first (IIRC).

~ Josh
Steve Dubya
Hero
Comment: Disingenuous mountebanks and their subliminal chicanery! A pox on them! - Homer Simpson

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
You Know wrote:Well, it wasn't much of a crossover, but the last series was the poorly received Coalition Wars (more commonly referred to as the Seige on Tolkeen).

Poorly recieved?

Maybe by a few loud people on these forums, but by no means by the majority of the fanbase.

I base my statements both from this and other statements (like those found here or here or here...) I have heard along the same lines:
Bill Coffin wrote:Our collaboration on the Siege on Tolkeen went very poorly despite Kevin's high hopes. it didn't sell as well as could be expected and it got a lot more flak from the fans than I think Kevin was prepared for.

Mind you, I don't think that it is reviled by most, but not what I would call well loved either.

I have heard nothing that indicated Coalition Wars was either a commercial success or that it was well beloved by pretty much anyone - if I am wrong, please point me in the direction of the right answers.
Last edited by Steve Dubya on Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Things aren't what they used to be" is the rallying cry of small minds. When men say things used to be better, they invariably mean they were better for them, because they were young, and had all their hopes intact. The world is bound to look a darker place as you slide into the grave.
Josh Sinsapaugh

You Know wrote:
Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:

Poorly recieved?

I base my statements both from this and other statements (like those found here or here or here...)I have heard along the same lines:
Bill Coffin wrote:Our collaboration on the Siege on Tolkeen went very poorly despite Kevin's high hopes. it didn't sell as well as could be expected and it got a lot more flak from the fans than I think Kevin was prepared for.

Mind you, I don't think that it is reviled by most, but not what I would call well loved either.

You're quoting Bill "Crass Unprofessional Temper Tantrum" Coffin?

:roll:

Consider the source.

~ Josh
Steve Dubya
Hero

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:You're quoting Bill "Crass Unprofessional Temper Tantrum" Coffin?

Consider the source.

Okay, we'll discount Bill's version of events [edit] (although it would be less antagonistic to provide factual evidence rather than namecalling).

What about the rest?

[edit] As I said before - I don't think that everyone hated it.
But I don't think that most people really liked it, either - thus "it was not well received."
Josh Sinsapaugh

You Know wrote:
Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:You're quoting Bill "Crass Unprofessional Temper Tantrum" Coffin?

Consider the source.

Okay, we'll discount Bill's version of events.

What about the rest?

Well, it would be naive of me to say that is was well loved, but it would be equally so for me to say that it was reviled either.

Until we see sales figures and guage the response of an entire fnbase, we just don't know. I know plenty that like it, plenty that hate it, and plenty that only hate certain aspects of it (but love the rest).

So to quote a B-Movie: "I don't know... I just don't know..."

~ Josh
Steve Dubya
Hero

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:Until we see sales figures and guage the response of an entire fnbase, we just don't know.

Because I think the likelihood of the first part of that sentence ever happening is right above the chances of me becoming the first astronaut to set foot on the sun, I will concur to say, "I don't know."
jgants
Wanderer

Unread post by jgants »

Well, I thought it was pretty common knowledge that SoT was no big commercial success. Kevin himself stated before (in a Rifter, IIRC) that distributors did not order as much of it as he was expecting, and I seriously doubt sales picked up as time went on. And while all books have some critique, SoT got way, way more negative reactions than most other Palladium products (though the rather incomplete BtS2 and Chaos Earth both had their fair share of deserved criticism as well).

If I had to guess, I'd bet money on SoT being among the weakest selling books of the Rifts line. I'm pretty sure they are also the "stacks of Bill Coffin books sitting in the warehouse" that Kevin mentioned before.

That said, Minion Wars looks more promising. I'm not sure I'm 100% sold on the Heroes Unlimited crossover idea and am not a huge fan of Phase World (nothing wrong with it, I just prefer Earth-based Rifts stuff). Still, I'll probably check out Hades and Dyval (I still liked it better under the original name given in Palladium Fantasy 1st ed, though) and see how it goes from there.
View my award-winning Rifts actual play thread on RPG.Net (campaign is now complete) here
I created some documents to help introduce new players to Rifts - PM me (with your email address) if you'd like a copy.
Josh Sinsapaugh

jgants wrote:Hades and Dyval (I still liked it better under the original name given in Palladium Fantasy 1st ed, though) and see how it goes from there.

Me too.

I liked that the Deevils were originally "Devils," and that they were from "Hell."

I can understand why Palladium felt that it was necessary to make the switch though.

~ Josh
jgants
Wanderer

Unread post by jgants »

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
jgants wrote:Hades and Dyval (I still liked it better under the original name given in Palladium Fantasy 1st ed, though) and see how it goes from there.

Me too.

I liked that the Deevils were originally "Devils," and that they were from "Hell."

I can understand why Palladium felt that it was necessary to make the switch though.

~ Josh

Yeah, Palladium has been very consistent with trying to keep things from being offensive to anyone, so I understand the change. But as an adult male with no kids and few sensibilities, I still like the more "R" rated approach so they're still going to be "devils" in my campaign. :D
View my award-winning Rifts actual play thread on RPG.Net (campaign is now complete) here
I created some documents to help introduce new players to Rifts - PM me (with your email address) if you'd like a copy.
Josh Sinsapaugh

jgants wrote:
Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:

Me too.

~ Josh

Yeah, Palladium has been very consistent with trying to keep things from being offensive to anyone, so I understand the change. But as an adult male with no kids and few sensibilities, I still like the more "R" rated approach so they're still going to be "devils" in my campaign. :D

Same here, although I use the two terms interchangeably, with Deevil being a cultural drift mispronounciation used out in the boonies. (So a Rogue Scholar would call them Devils, the Vagabond from Virginia would call them Deevils).

~ Josh
Steve Dubya
Hero

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:Same here, although I use the two terms interchangeably, with Deevil being a cultural drift mispronounciation used out in the boonies. (So a Rogue Scholar would call them Devils, the Vagabond from Virginia would call them Deevils).

Huh - never thought of that. That's a pretty good idea. I can definitely see using that approach.

Or perhaps it could be explained as just the difference between the Palladium "common" and American languages, maybe? So many possibilities to trip the tongue...
jgants
Wanderer

Unread post by jgants »

You Know wrote:
Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:Same here, although I use the two terms interchangeably, with Deevil being a cultural drift mispronounciation used out in the boonies. (So a Rogue Scholar would call them Devils, the Vagabond from Virginia would call them Deevils).

Huh - never thought of that. That's a pretty good idea. I can definitely see using that approach.

Or perhaps it could be explained as just the difference between the Palladium "common" and American languages, maybe? So many possibilities to trip the tongue...

I like that idea, too.
Josh Sinsapaugh

jgants wrote:
You Know wrote:

I like that idea, too.

Me, too.

Wait...

:P :lol:

~ Josh
jgants
Wanderer

Unread post by jgants »

darkmax wrote:Localized pronunciation... That's a mighty good idea! It makes travelling fun.

Every region could have its own pronunciation of "Sinsapaugh", too. :D
Josh Sinsapaugh

darkmax wrote:Localized pronunciation... That's a mighty good idea! It makes travelling fun.

Some adventurer goes into the region...

A rural farmer tells him to "Watch out for them Deevils."

The adventurer goes back home and writes a book:

Legends amongst wilderness folk speak of Deevils, creatures of unknown origin and of fantastical abilities. What connections they have with the infernals known as Devils, if any, is unknown, although most scholars believe...

:lol:

~ Josh
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

argos wrote:You cant copyright the name devil but Deevil you can. Just a point.

Not very effectively, since Robert Aspirin has had it in the Myth series for decades...
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Library Ogre

You don't patent a word... you trademark it, and only if its different enough to be recognizably yours.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Preacher
Hero
Comment: My Thermonuclear level defense of Palladium is neither condoned nor endorsed by Palladium Books.

Unread post by Preacher »

On the topic of SoT being a success or failure. Anyone know if they have been reprinted a time or two? I am sure it is in the press releases but I don't want to scour through them to find the info. Anyone here have SoT books in say 3rd printing? Palladium usually prints 2500 to 5000 copies IIRC so if you have a second or third print then that is pretty good.

Not an expert or insider really just going by what I have heard from Palladium, Kev and Maryann.
ImageImage Yeah I like guns. Image
I pledge allegiance to this flag, if that bothers you well that's too bad!!!
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

I think it's fairly accurate to state that SoT wasn't well received by the majority of fans, I also don't think "a few loud people on these forums" is very accurate. From what I can tell most people here have some problem with it and more than a few hate it. I've also never meet anyone that actually wanted to play it the way it was written or even want to play in a timeline that includes it.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Blight
Champion

Unread post by Blight »

Ok back to that minion war now that palladium fantasy is a sperate entity from rifts (thus the changes in rue like the dragons and such) is there going to be any cross over or would that be palladium fantasy infringing on the copy right of palladium rifts or vice versa?
Carl Gleba

Blight wrote:Ok back to that minion war now that palladium fantasy is a sperate entity from rifts (thus the changes in rue like the dragons and such) is there going to be any cross over or would that be palladium fantasy infringing on the copy right of palladium rifts or vice versa?

The Minion War actually starts in the PF setting. Check out the Land of the Damned books. Consider them the preview of whats to come.

Carl
ImageImage
Blight
Champion

Unread post by Blight »

Carl Gleba wrote:
Blight wrote:Ok back to that minion war now that palladium fantasy is a sperate entity from rifts (thus the changes in rue like the dragons and such) is there going to be any cross over or would that be palladium fantasy infringing on the copy right of palladium rifts or vice versa?

The Minion War actually starts in the PF setting. Check out the Land of the Damned books. Consider them the preview of whats to come.

Carl

Ok so it's a PF thing. But is it going to cross over to other other books or is that a thing of palladiums past?
Carl Gleba

Blight wrote:
Carl Gleba wrote:

Carl

Ok so it's a PF thing. But is it going to cross over to other other books or is that a thing of palladiums past?

The PF books indicate that Palladium was the test ground for the Demon troops. The Minion War is really the beginning of a real war. For eons Demons and Deevils have been eternal enemies with one side or the other interfering with the others plans, but except for in the LOD there has never been any real conflicts, just a few small isolated skirmishes. Well now Modeus the Lord of Hades is marshaling all his resources as well as those of the other Demon Lords and is launching an attack against Dyval, home of the deevils. This is it, its war.

A war between these too forces IMO would not be isolated to just their home dimensions, its very likely to spill out everywhere. So that's where my idea of the Minion war series came from. It all starts with the dimension book of Hades which details the dimension, the demon forces, and their attack plans.

The next book is the dimension book about dyval, and details that dimensions, the deevil forces, and their response. Lets just say they're pissed!

The third book will be "THE WAR" leaking out everywhere. This book deals with the Phase World setting and how that setting is impacted by the Minion War.

The fourth book will be in the Heroes Unlimited setting and the fifth and final book will be on Rifts Earth. The war is pretty much expanding everywhere and a creative GM should be able to adapt it to any setting.

So that's a brief summary of what to expect.

Carl
ImageImage
Blight
Champion

Unread post by Blight »

Thank you that make me want to read this more :ok:
Carl Gleba

Ninjabunny wrote:
Carl Gleba wrote:The PF books indicate that Palladium was the test ground for the Demon troops. The Minion War is really the beginning of a real war. For eons Demons and Deevils have been eternal enemies with one side or the other interfering with the others plans, but except for in the LOD there has never been any real conflicts, just a few small isolated skirmishes. Well now Modeus the Lord of Hades is marshaling all his resources as well as those of the other Demon Lords and is launching an attack against Dyval, home of the deevils. This is it, its war.

A war between these too forces IMO would not be isolated to just their home dimensions, its very likely to spill out everywhere. So that's where my idea of the Minion war series came from. It all starts with the dimension book of Hades which details the dimension, the demon forces, and their attack plans.

The next book is the dimension book about dyval, and details that dimensions, the deevil forces, and their response. Lets just say they're pissed!

The third book will be "THE WAR" leaking out everywhere. This book deals with the Phase World setting and how that setting is impacted by the Minion War.

The fourth book will be in the Heroes Unlimited setting and the fifth and final book will be on Rifts Earth. The war is pretty much expanding everywhere and a creative GM should be able to adapt it to any setting.

So that's a brief summary of what to expect.

Carl

CAn't wait to read the minion wars, I'm also going to have to geet the PF land damned as well so I understand the war better.

Just an FYI. LOD is not required if you don't want to buy it. Its all spelled out in Hades. But LOD is still a great buy for the fantasy aspect.

Carl
ImageImage
Carl Gleba

darkmax wrote:Looks like we are going to need plenty of holy water and all that stuff soon.

Now, Carl, why do you have go and spoil our peaceful little settings!! Why?! Why?! Why?! :D

Because I knock over ant hills for fun!! :demon:
ImageImage
Aramanthus
Monk

What about the Herring of cutting down the tallest tree in the forest? I didn't see that on your list. :)
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

Well "It's" a good thing "it" wasn't needed by you. :wink:

HH....FIE
Carl Gleba

darkmax wrote:err..... do we get a map for a pre-order?

Thats a great question...no :D

Sorry guys I can't sell any without Palladium's permission. I did however donate a bunch for the july grab bag, so maybe some will be available for the winter grab bag. Or you can write Kevin and company and demand that color maps be available :badbad: :D

More previews of Hades eh? You guys trying to get me to violate my NDA? All right just a few more tidbits.

Well there's stuff on infernal life, like the demon hierarchy, demon names, death of a demon. 6 new demons, like my favorite, the Soul Catcher. I'll let you guys/gals guess about that one :D and new monsters of course.

Demon Plans for the Minion War, demon weapons and armor. Beast of War.

Probably 2/3 of the book is primarily on the dimension Hades. Several demon cities have been described pretty well. NPC's and business and such. The environment and the land are discussed because they pose their own dangers. There are numerous encounter tables that are (I think) new. GM's will have the option to roll on one of three tables for a given area. One is for terrain, one for weather, and the other for a potential demon or monster encounter.

So for example you could have a river of lava in front of you, fire rain falling from the sky, and a pack of gargoyles bearing down on you! What do you do?

That's a taste of what you get to look forward to, subject to final editing of course.

No order three :D I want that pre-order record :D

Carl
ImageImage
Carl Gleba

Sir Ysbadden wrote:Out of curiosity are there any playable demons and deevils in the books :? I have some players that would like to know.

Well they're created like the demons in the Conversion book, so if you let your players play them then yes. Otherwise is GM's call as usual.

Carl
ImageImage
Carl Gleba

darkmax wrote:Is there going to be inclusion of the good guys as well?

Huh? :shock: Good guys, my word, what good could come from Hades.

Good call darkmax, you migth be in for a small surpirse when the book comes out 8)

Carl
ImageImage
Library Ogre

Carl Gleba wrote:
darkmax wrote:Is there going to be inclusion of the good guys as well?

Huh? :shock: Good guys, my word, what good could come from Hades.

Why, demons. We all know that deevils are the real bad guys.

All Palladium Articles
Aramanthus
Monk

Very intrigued by what Carl just said! Now I'm really wishing I had a TARDIS!!!

HH....FIE

Return to “Rifts®”