Do they have elections in the Coalition States?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

allmarduk
D-Bee

Do they have elections in the Coalition States?

Unread post by allmarduk »

I assume that the Prosek regime DOES ALLOW some semblance of democratic elections in the Coalition States. For example, the CS as a whole might have an elected Federal Assembly, and each of the individual states-Chi-town, Iron Heart, Missouri, El Dorado, and Lone Star-has it's own elected State Assembly. However, the Federal Assembly can probably only vote on legislation and bills supported by Emperor Prosek. The Emperor, moreover, appoints governors for each of the individual states, and each State Assembly probably could only vote for bills supported by the governor.
The Coalition States might even have a semblance of a multi-party system with a ruling Prosekista Party and opposition parties labeled the Humanity First Party and the the Coalition Citizens Party. In practice, however, all three parties are in fact support the rule of the Prosek family and oppose magic and D-bees. All three parties are led by people close to the Emperor and his family.
allmarduk
D-Bee

Unread post by allmarduk »

Moreover, the leaders of all three parties openly cheered the Coalition's war on the pro-magic city of Tolkeen and Humanity First and Coalition Citizens are just as likely as the Prosekistas to denounce the Rogue Scholar Erin Tain as a traitor to humanity. All three political parties also officially support the deliberate policy of the Coalition States promoting illiteracy among it's citizens.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

el magico -- darklorddc wrote:Considering that Prosek is a declared Emperor, no. By definition, an emperor is not an elected position.
And there's been no mention of a parliament of any kind. It appears that, like many empires, the Coalition is most likely ruled by Imperial governorships, which are appointed positions.

Karl much like his father was elected to the chairman position, 7 years later thru a grassroots movement (which he started) is appointed Emperor,

Individual State Governors, Territorial Representives, and High mayors of major cities are listed under heads of state page 50 CWC and odds are all Civilians, and in Karl Prosek bio page 214 states he has a head for strategy and tactics for both military and political arenas , so there must be a civilian government , free quebec has one, so i bet chi-town has one too just, Prosek holds the military power.
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I think real States like Chi-town,Iron Heart,Free Quebec and El Dorado have ther own Governments.

Each Send Representatives to Chi-town.

Missouri and Lone Star are Colonies of Chi-town.

It makes sense Prosek wants to keep the Illusion of Democracy with a house of Representatives.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

There is probably an illusion of particpatory democracy - however only at the smallest levels (ie mayors, or city sector councils) are the votes even clsoe to free and fair.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

el magico -- darklorddc wrote:If he declared himself emperor a lot of that would have been trashed.

One problem...the CWC specifcally says that's what they had WELL AFTER he was decleared emporer. Karl COULD have done away with democratic processes, he simply did not.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

My opinion is that there are elections and there is political debate within the Coalition States... but it's far different than what we think of.

Their elections are for block captains and city councilmen, and perhaps to an advisory Senate (remember, it's not into well into the period of Empire in Star Wars that the Emperor actually got rid of the Senate).

Their debates, however, are somewhat constrained. You aren't debating "Are D-Bees evil" but "Should they all be killed, or shoved through a rift?"
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

This brings up the question of who can vote, or more specifically who cannot vote?

Dogboys certainly couldn't, Psi-Stalkers probably couldn't and other psychics maybe. I would also assume that for all intents and purposes only CS citizens in the cities would vote as it would be difficult for all the others.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

grandmaster z0b wrote:This brings up the question of who can vote, or more specifically who cannot vote?

CS Citizens. Dog boys and psi-stalkers are not citizens. Many non-psi-stalker psychics are.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Ridley
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Ridley »

Personally, i think that prosek would have some advisers that happen to be goverors of states, but i don't think that they are elected. They would be appointed by the prosek.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

el magico -- darklorddc wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
el magico -- darklorddc wrote:If he declared himself emperor a lot of that would have been trashed.

One problem...the CWC specifcally says that's what they had WELL AFTER he was decleared emporer. Karl COULD have done away with democratic processes, he simply did not.

Can you give me a page for that one?
SOT1 101 71 P.A. Karl Prosek win the chairman
SOT 1 pg 102 78 P.A. Karl Prosek accepts the appointment of Emperor 4 lif and breaks out the black spray can and tags erin tarn butt with NWO tag :lol:
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

el magico -- darklorddc wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

Can you give me a page for that one?

same pages in the CWC for the rest of them. all the text there is present tense, not past tense. it never said Karl did away with it, and there's no textual reason to assume he did.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

grandmaster z0b wrote:This brings up the question of who can vote, or more specifically who cannot vote?

Dogboys certainly couldn't, Psi-Stalkers probably couldn't and other psychics maybe. I would also assume that for all intents and purposes only CS citizens in the cities would vote as it would be difficult for all the others.

It also raises the question of who'd do the vote counting - letting people have the illusion of a democracy, no matter how restricted, is a good form of control.
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

on the other hand, maybe it isn't a dictatorship at all on any level but the military...

Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

Here's a little something I wrote for my Missouri book on the matter that may be of interest to some. Though this is not canon material (yet - cross your fingers for me) I think it lays well within the spirit of things.

State Governmental System
Just as the Emperor has the Executive Council a to help him make decisions, offer suggestions, raise notions, and add constructive input, so does the Governor of the state have a State Senate for the same purpose. The Governors have absolute civil power of their states and answer only to the one who appointed them to power, Emperor Karl Prosek. The State Senate is made up of thirteen people who have been either hand picked by the Governor or appointed by the Emperor. Most are given the position for their knowledge in a particular area, others are made Senators as a reward in the form of political power (in addition to the 15,000 credits a month the position pays), while a few bribe and extort their way into being made a Senator. Traditionally the resident highest ranking military commander attached to the state has a seat on the State Senate (and enjoys the extra money) to put in his two cents on issues, but usually defers to the majority on non-military matters. But regardless of what the State Senate members say or think, all final decisions regarding state matters is ultimately up to the Governor. Once the Governor has come to a firm conclusion, the subject is tabled and his decision is carried out. Only in matters of military is the Governor forbidden from making any specific orders, only vague ones like “kill that Simvan tirbe.”, or “send some troops to that area to stop the raiders.” If history has taught the CS anything, it’s that the Generals should always run the wars and military actions, not the bureaucrats. So though a Governor can enact a specific and detailed plan of action for a civil problem, he can not order the military (CS Army or State Defense Force) to do things in a specific way using a specific plan. And even then if the commanding officer strongly disagrees with the call, generalized as it many be, the Governor is powerless to make the military operation happen at all. Alternately, the military commanding officer does not need the Governor’s permission to engage in small operations of his own designs, (the term “small” can include the use of up to a division of units!). However it is considered polite and customary to either ask or at the very least inform the Governor of such things.

On the lower City and Town level of government there is the Mayor with the same powers as the Governor, only on a smaller scale, and the City Council. Mayors are appointed by the Governor of the state and are accountable only to their state Governor and the Emperor. Though traditionally there is a review and evaluation every three years, and praising and hate mail from local CS citizens is accounted for giving the Coalition’s citizens a quasi-vote of confidence of sorts. The Mayor has the authority to dictate local pollicies and ordinances over the city/town and its surrounding areas. Military actions can also be called for, but like with the Governor, the resident commanding officer has the right to refuse. The City Council is made up of only seven people for towns and thirteen people for cities. Like the State Senate this includes the resident commanding officer of the city or town’s local military base. Councilmen function in the exact capacity as the State Senators, giving words of wisdom and expertise on matters they either know something about or have an interest in. However they are powerless to enforce their will over the Mayor even if they unanimously object to one of his decisions. But they are not entirely toothless. The Councilmen frequently inform the local citizens of the non-classified generalities of what happened during their biweekly meetings so they can either send praising or vehement vid mails to Governor about their Mayor’s competency. They can use this to get what they want sometimes. Even so, this kind of extortion is not used often because it is in the Mayor’s power to censor the TV update (which looks bad for the Mayor) as well as dismiss and replace the councilmen with a stroke of a pen (which looks worse).
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]

Return to “Rifts®”