"New" Old Power Armor & Robot Vehicles

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

"New" Old Power Armor & Robot Vehicles

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

While musing over world books that I'd personally like to see, a bit of inspiration hit me, "Why not have 'new' old PA and Bots in one of the world books I was musing over?"

What ever do I mean?

Well, if a world book takes place in an out of the way, but not particularly isolated location, would that not be the perfect place to print some old power armor and robot vehicles?

And when I say old power armor and robot vehicles, I don't mean ones from earlier books, I mean new material detailing a few machines from before 100 P.A., possibly going back to the 50s or 70s P.A.

So basically, although the book itself would be set in 109 P.A., those few war machines would be old jalopies from 54 P.A. or 78 P.A., etc.

Your thoughts?

And keep in mind that said vehicles would be a small facet of the book.

~ Josh
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

It's not such a bad idea, a bit more realistic than every book having new robots and power armour.

Would the fact they are old mean that they aren't very good as far as MDC and damage go? If so there should also be some info on upgraded versions or how much they could be upgraded.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
AzathothXy
Adventurer

Unread post by AzathothXy »

How old? The Pre-Dark Ages stuff is even more powerful than the current tech.
It would have to be a design created shortly after the coming of the rifts. Kinda the first 'power armor of the new world' or something similar.
The Nuclear Chaos
That thing is not dead which has the capacity to continue to exist eternally,
And if the abnormal ones come,then death may cease to be
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

My only question is "Why has it taken so long for this idea to be aired?"

I mean the Death Head SAMAS is supposed to be realitively new and the Enforcer has been in service since the 80's PA (as per RMB, circa 100 PA) with a predessor model before that built shortly after the FoM's attack on Chi-town in 12 PA.

Wheres all the stuff that lead to the current machines?
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
hahaha NXLA for the win.-- Galactus Kid x2
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
Knowledge is power, power corrupts, study hard, be evil.
SycophantNagaraja
Dungeon Crawler

Re: "New" Old Power Armor & Robot Vehicles

Unread post by SycophantNagaraja »

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:While musing over world books that I'd personally like to see, a bit of inspiration hit me, "Why not have 'new' old PA and Bots in one of the world books I was musing over?"

What ever do I mean?

Well, if a world book takes place in an out of the way, but not particularly isolated location, would that not be the perfect place to print some old power armor and robot vehicles?

And when I say old power armor and robot vehicles, I don't mean ones from earlier books, I mean new material detailing a few machines from before 100 P.A., possibly going back to the 50s or 70s P.A.

So basically, although the book itself would be set in 109 P.A., those few war machines would be old jalopies from 54 P.A. or 78 P.A., etc.

Your thoughts?

~ Josh

Sounds good. Would almost capture the whole gritty feel for Rifts. It's a bucket of bolts, but when running right, and with all the modifications, runs like a charm.
http://prophetx.deviantart.com

"You did 264 MD to the guys head, and you think you could capture his helmet intact?" - Killer Cyborg
I just remembered, I forgot the rule of headshots doing x2 damage. That should have been 528MD." -Lord_Coake
SycophantNagaraja
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by SycophantNagaraja »

and it could serve as a cross over book to Chaos Earth
http://prophetx.deviantart.com

"You did 264 MD to the guys head, and you think you could capture his helmet intact?" - Killer Cyborg
I just remembered, I forgot the rule of headshots doing x2 damage. That should have been 528MD." -Lord_Coake
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

To answer some questions/comments:

1. How Old?: They wouldn't be "the first power armor made after the Dark Ages." (though that itself is an inviting prospect for exploration) Rather they would be old Northern Gun or Coalition P.O.S.s (or maybe a company that has long since went out of business) from before 80 P.A., maybe even going as far back as 50 P.A. Note: If I decide for one of the old suits to be Coalition, it would be essentially scaled down version of a pre-existing suit...so it would fit logically, i.e. "this old bucket of bolts would later serve as the inspiratuon for the UAR-1 Abolisher."

2. Modifying the Old to make them more New: I intended to include such notes, such as "a few pilots have switched out the older rail gun for an NG-202" or "a few overhauled versions with X M.D.C. can be found..." etc.

3. Jurry-Rigged Power Armor: You'll be happy to note that I have already created rules for jurry-rigged "antique" power armor that I plan to include in a manuscript/project.

4. Why Hasn't This Been Done Yet?: Because up until now there has been no Josh writing freelance for Palladium? :P But seriously, I think it is because the opprotunity hasn't presented itself. Mercenaries or Merc Ops probably would have been a good place to introduce such things...but of course they weren't (for whatever reason). Or maybe it is because no one thought of it? Who knows? Not I said THE Josh.

So it seems, everyone likes the idea. Good, I'll make a note on it if said project ever gets the green light. :D

A NOTE TO THOSE THAT HATE THE IDEA: Seriously, speak up. I don't know if you are out there, but if you are please throw in your two-cents. This is not me flame baiting you, this is me asking for input...and some negative views on the matter can often be more valuable than positive ones.

~ Josh
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

remember thre glitterboy has been around entire time as i bet some of the other NEMA mecha too.

but i think its a great idea
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
A NOTE TO THOSE THAT HATE THE IDEA: Seriously, speak up. I don't know if you are out there, but if you are please throw in your two-cents. This is not me flame baiting you, this is me asking for input...and some negative views on the matter can often be more valuable than positive ones.

~ Josh

I don't hate the idea, far from it, but just thought I'd point out the section on MDC Technology in RUE (sorry I don't have the page number handy) that you might find interesting if you haven't had a chance to read it.

I'd also point out, just MHO, that some designs like the NG Sampson and Hunter are fairly old already, maybe 20-30 years old.
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

Mr. Pook wrote:
grandmaster z0b wrote:It's not such a bad idea, a bit more realistic than every book having new robots and power armour.

I couldn't agree more. Every book seems to have some secret, pre-rifts, souped-up version of another power armor.
I would like it for the same reason I love Chipwell Armaments: it's a refreshing change of pace from the power creep.

I, for one, think it's a brilliant idea. :ok:

Seconded. I like the chipwell gear precisely because it's a step down in power rather then a step up. There has to be low end armor and older PA that's still in use because there's always going to be some mercs or town defenders who can afford a little MDC gear, but not the best. Just like there are still 20-30 year old cars still in use today by people who can't afford better.

I like the idea of a group running across a town equipped with a few 50+ year old PA suits and robots that they either have had the whole time, or bought for cheap after a merc company traded up to better gear.

Such armor may not be anything that a PC group would want or use, (Unless they have no choice... :demon: ) but it adds a good deal to the setting if these things are seen to be out there.
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
283 geek points. 42 McGeekpoints.
:lol: 50 Smartass Points! :lol: Slag.
60 DaDa points.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

AzathothXy wrote:How old? The Pre-Dark Ages stuff is even more powerful than the current tech.
It would have to be a design created shortly after the coming of the rifts. Kinda the first 'power armor of the new world' or something similar.

Agreed. Pre Rifts stuff is better than post-tolkeen stuff. ever see Chaos Earth?

Perhaps there was a time in the Dark Ages when there were not even any Power Armors around at all, except for the aging NEMA stuff due to the fact that all factories were destroyed/buried...

Still, I agree that soon after the induction of the post apoco. calander, civilization rose from the ashes and prolly started making new power armors/bots that have long since been taken off the asymbly line and would still be in use. One of the only ones we see in the current books is the Ulti Max.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

darkmax wrote:AS I mentioned in another thread, have a encyclopedia of montrousity, then work on an encyclopedia of mechanized military machines, and then other compilations.

But first, Palladium must survive its current sinking.

Hows about we have names for the books not of a bent like D&D uses in any form :D

Used Mecha of the Megaverse sourcebook sounds Good.

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:To answer some questions/comments:

1. How Old?: They wouldn't be "the first power armor made after the Dark Ages." (though that itself is an inviting prospect for exploration) Rather they would be old Northern Gun or Coalition P.O.S.s (or maybe a company that has long since went out of business) from before 80 P.A., maybe even going as far back as 50 P.A. Note: If I decide for one of the old suits to be Coalition, it would be essentially scaled down version of a pre-existing suit...so it would fit logically, i.e. "this old bucket of bolts would later serve as the inspiratuon for the UAR-1 Abolisher."

Before 50 PA sounds good to me. Older the better.

2. Modifying the Old to make them more New: I intended to include such notes, such as "a few pilots have switched out the older rail gun for an NG-202" or "a few overhauled versions with X M.D.C. can be found..." etc.

3. Jurry-Rigged Power Armor: You'll be happy to note that I have already created rules for jurry-rigged "antique" power armor that I plan to include in a manuscript/project.

Sounds good to me.

4. Why Hasn't This Been Done Yet?: Because up until now there has been no Josh writing freelance for Palladium? :P But seriously, I think it is because the opprotunity hasn't presented itself. Mercenaries or Merc Ops probably would have been a good place to introduce such things...but of course they weren't (for whatever reason). Or maybe it is because no one thought of it? Who knows? Not I said THE Josh.

So it seems, everyone likes the idea. Good, I'll make a note on it if said project ever gets the green light. :D

~ Josh

Hey i like the idea.

Bet cool to Show a few OLD OLD PA/Mechas and then an Updated model too. Kinda like cars today. Show the First in the Line of the *Fubar* Power Armor from 08 PA, stats and a pic. Then an Updated pic and stats of the 20 PA model of the *FUBAR*, and another update from 48 PA. These are when the company who makes them decided to redesign the machine for major changes and not the minor tweaks. Like the Dodge Ram changes over the years....1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1990s. The major changes in looks or standard features.

Take the Glitterboy USA-G10 aka Chromium Guardsman USA-G10.
What did the USA-G09 look like ?, or the USA-G05 for that matter.

In Modern Rifts its Like showing The Silver Eagle Samas, then the CS Samas(s), then the FQ-Violator Samas side by side. The evolution of the PAs and Robot Vehicles over the years is a cool idea.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:While musing over world books that I'd personally like to see, a bit of inspiration hit me, "Why not have 'new' old PA and Bots in one of the world books I was musing over?"

What ever do I mean?

Your thoughts?

~ Josh

I think that it should be a small facet of most books. There's no need for exotic locations; there are plenty of places in North America where people would still be using armor, weapons, and vehicles from a long time ago.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Josh Sinsapaugh

Killer Cyborg wrote:

What ever do I mean?

Your thoughts?

~ Josh

I think that it should be a small facet of most books. There's no need for exotic locations; there are plenty of places in North America where people would still be using armor, weapons, and vehicles from a long time ago.

I agree 110%.

The location I was thinking of is exotic via point of view (I'm pretty sure that if we put it to a poll it would be a 50/50 split), in any case, due to the short descriptions that have been given twice in two different books, it was the perfect place for it.

Not sure if I want to give away the catalyst location or my idea for a book...as it is just an idea at the moment with only one or two written notes. Though I am very close to smiling and saying "Oh what the hell, why not?" and putting it out in the open.

So close, that I'll end this post before I have the chance.

~ Josh
Space Marine

Unread post by Space Marine »

I would love to see something on older PA's even from either pre-rifts or just after. I always love to play PA pilots and I am reguluarly searching for different PA's.
grandmaster z0b
Champion

For some of these there could be something really good about them.

Like some could be big and heavy but have massive MDC like some of the old cars, ie. the SDC of an old Chevvy compared to the SDC of a new asian car.

Or like the Millenium Falcon, it was an old piece of crap ship but had been upgraded and modified so many times it was one of the fastest in the galaxy.

Or some could have a feature that was a good idea but never followed up in the future versions becuase of cost or something. Like a prototype that had a RADAR jamming signal that was unreliable, however a modern operator or psi-tech could fix the bugs or something.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

Out of curiosity are you taking suggestions for suits and such, how about "normal" vehicles?
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
Josh Sinsapaugh

Nxla666 wrote:Out of curiosity are you taking suggestions for suits and such, how about "normal" vehicles?

Seeing as this back burner project of mine will one day be pitched to Palladium, I am iffy on that line,

Thus, if you want to give a suggestion, you'll have to consider the legality of it, such as are you forfitting the rights to your intellectual property (the suggestion)? or do you want money for it (thus requiring a UM form)? In any case credit would be given, but I imagine that Palladium would be all around iffy about it as they wouldn't want someone turning around and saying "that was my idea...restitution!"

I'm not saying you would do that, in fact, I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't. You understand what I am saying though?

I was also thinking about doing something on conventional vehicles: hover cars, trucks, earthmovers, etc.

~ Josh
Slag

Unread post by Slag »

You KNOW I'm in on the idea! :-) *nudge nudge, wink wink, saynomore!*

BTW: Old NEMA designs should make an appearance. Imagine a Silver Eagle "patched" like we talked about!
Fickt nicht mit der Raketemensch!

"I respect you. And unlike love, respect can't be bought" - Homer Simpson.
Josh Sinsapaugh

Slag wrote:You KNOW I'm in on the idea! :-) *nudge nudge, wink wink, saynomore!*

BTW: Old NEMA designs should make an appearance. Imagine a Silver Eagle "patched" like we talked about!

Or a jurry-rigged Glitter Boy that uses...

,,,wait, oops. Almost gave that project away.

Though the project with the JRed Power Armor is seperate from the one's with the Jalopies. Both are seperate from the Shemarrian SB.

Wow...I have too many projects. Luckily I am only devoted to two of them at the moment. But which two? Dun dun duuuuuh!!!

~ Josh
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
Nxla666 wrote:Out of curiosity are you taking suggestions for suits and such, how about "normal" vehicles?

Seeing as this back burner project of mine will one day be pitched to Palladium, I am iffy on that line,

Thus, if you want to give a suggestion, you'll have to consider the legality of it, such as are you forfitting the rights to your intellectual property (the suggestion)? or do you want money for it (thus requiring a UM form)? In any case credit would be given, but I imagine that Palladium would be all around iffy about it as they wouldn't want someone turning around and saying "that was my idea...restitution!"

I'm not saying you would do that, in fact, I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't. You understand what I am saying though?

I was also thinking about doing something on conventional vehicles: hover cars, trucks, earthmovers, etc.

~ Josh
Isn't this true of you as well though, by posting your original idea? There would be nothing wrong with myself or someone else submitting a rifter article on the same subject, now that you have posted it (not that I would do that of course). I'd suspect as a freelancer you would also have a much greater chance of getting something published.

It is a good idea though and would probably be a popular book.
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:

~ Josh

I look at it this way, if submitting a couple of ideas gets my name mentioned then its worth it. :)
Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

Like other folks have said, I think the writers got a little too into the power creep and thats one of the reasons I'm not interested in a new Triax book. It will probably be full of overpowered junk that I wont use anyway.

The only thing I can suggest is looking into the Chaos Earth books and having old NEMA equipment pop up in your campaign.

Or the GM on his own can come up with some modified armor and PA from the books. Maybe some heavy Plastic Man or light Crusader.
It seems to me that unless you bought them straight from the factory no two Power Armors would be exactly the same. There would always be a little variation here and there. Maybe the armor is a little heavier or lighter, maybe it has a wrist laser that isnt standard. Or the flight system was removed to make it cheaper.
Thats the kind of variety I like to give my players. They think they know the stats of a Flying Titan, but if they dont inspect it before hand I might make some little adjustments on my own.
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.
Josh Sinsapaugh

grandmaster z0b wrote:
Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:

~ Josh
Isn't this true of you as well though, by posting your original idea? There would be nothing wrong with myself or someone else submitting a rifter article on the same subject, now that you have posted it (not that I would do that of course).

Nothing wrong with it, and I really wouldn't have a problem if someone "scooped" me on it. (Believe it or not.) :)

That's the risk you run when talking about anything online.

If someone did indeed do that, I think my idea would still hold plenty of water as I believe it is perfect for the setting of the book in which these Old PAs would be but a facet of.

~ Josh
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

I like that Idea alot. i have grown a little tired of the one-up-manship of the weapons and armor sections of most sourcebooks. The CS stuff should be the best stuff in north america with everything else coming in a distant second.
Omega6
D-Bee

Unread post by Omega6 »

Australia has an example of old rebuilt power armor.
I would like to see more old designs as well.
Josh Sinsapaugh

Just to clarify.

I am not talking about jurry-rigged power armor or rebuilt pre-Rifts power armor (though tangentially that applies, however such things WILL NOT appear in the project I am thinking of).

When I say "old Power Armor" I mean something along the lines of The Northern Gun <Blah> from 79 P.A. or The Chi-Town <Blah> from 45 P.A.

Basically old power armor that, although no longer produced (and no longer used militarily in the case of a CS suit) are still in use in some places, similar to cars in America. The difference between a 2006 SUV and a 1974 Ford P.O.S..

~ Josh

Return to “Rifts®”