what make's the "boom" of the boom gun?!?!!?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Qev wrote:Why would anyone want a railgun/coilgun to fire underwater? The whole advantage of a railgun is, apparently, being able to accelerate a projectile up to ridiculous velocities. This cannot happen underwater. Unlike air, water can't be compressed. It's not going to get out of the way of a hyper-velocity projectile; you might as well cap the end of your railgun barrel with a solid steel ingot ten inches thick.

I guess you refer to the fact, that the water will not compress
ie. the projectile cannot exit the barrel since the bullets are
the same size as the barrel?

Well, see the underwater guns above for one, and the fact, that
railgun ammo does not have to "fill" the barrel, since there are
rings used as "slugs", for second.

And supercavity, for third.

Finally: who want to fire a kinetic weapons (railgun) underwater?
Those, who are about to be eaten by a monster, which is impervious
to energy.

Adios
KLM

ps.: Yeah, I was referring to railguns, thought I was the one, who
pointed, that railguns are short circuited by water (and coilguns
are not).
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Hmmm... supercavitation is apparently more effective than I'd originally thought. There are apparently researchers doing tests with Mach 3 (air speed) supercavitating projectiles. :shock: I guess I'm wrong about Boom Gun velocities not working underwater. :D

Still... I wonder how much range you're going to see from an unpowered supercavitating projectile. Those 20mm RAMICS anti-mine rounds only penetrate about 25 feet into water...
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

As I said, on a "realistic" (yeah, I know) approach,
divide "land" range by at least 10, maybe as much as 50.

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

As for the muzzle flash... uhhh... maybe some sort of atmospheric action with the round or a thin plastic/nylon layer on the outside of the slug burning off?

No...don't think so...

The ones I've seen footage of in lab experiments had a rather large muzzle flash/flare. But, the things fired a solid steel slug with no casing.
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Borast wrote:The ones I've seen footage of in lab experiments had a rather large muzzle flash/flare. But, the things fired a solid steel slug with no casing.

Probably plasma or combusting metal vapour from the armature, rails, or the slug itself. Er... wait, is this a coilgun or railgun?
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

R Ditto wrote:Interesting.

In the RMB, under weapons, under rail guns, Rail Guns for Rifts are referred to as "electro-magnetic system mass driver".
To me, that means neither rail guns or coil guns.
I consider them... well, EM mass drivers, using a bunch of electro-magnets along the barrel to accelerate the rounds, with the rounds never touching the barrel.

In 2098, it's probably easy for the electronics in a child's toy to pack the computing power needed for a complex series of electro-magnets that are able to accelerate each round, even despite minor variations in mass/density/shape, with near perfect precision, so it seems simple for a military system to be able to easily handle such a complex acceleration system.
Rounds go fast, they don't need to be built to exact specifications, and there is no wear and tear on the barrel.
Heck, such a system could be adjustable and be able to fire more or less any suitable projectile that would fit in the barrel and which the ammo feed system could into the weapon.
Imagine a SAMAS rail gun tweaked to have a second setting that pulses it hundreds or thousands of times a second. Not enough power per pulse for a 12.7mm sized round, but enough for oh, say, a bunch of BB sized pellets, with the secondary ammo feed being a funnel and a bucket of BBs.

It also makes sense that the BG have a 'pre-accelerated" setup. The slugs are 1in long each, but the cartridge is 7in, so there is 3in of unexplained size/space, enough for something like a 50mm "shotgun shell" that fires off a sabo round packed with 200 slugs.
It also explains the big boom, from a high powered explosive propellent charge.

Also explains why the CS never even tried to reverse engineer the BG, maybe a "chemical propellent" is part of the "inferior design" excuse the CS uses for not using any of the "tech" that would make a GB possible. Who cares if they don't like the GB itself, the weapon tech of the BG alone seems like something the CS should have jumped on top of at the first possible chance, but having a chemical propellent would explain why they never bothered with reverse engineering the mighty BG itself.

A coil gun doesn't require contact only railguns do what you describe is a coilgun. It would be the way to go for both rapid fire and underwater capabilities. While a railgun requires rail contact making it quite dangerous to fire underwater also rapid fire capabilities diminish. They diminish because while a coilgun could simply use a tube to feed ball rounds in rapid succession only limited by the circuitry's capabilities to pulse the magnets. While the railgun would require a complex system to drop in the rounds, and the armitures if the rounds aren't conductive. So rather than depending on the speed of electricity it is dependant on the speed of a mechanism. Also while a coilgun can have multiple rounds in the barrel at the same a railgun reduces its power by doing so as that would turn the circuit into a parallel circuit.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Qev wrote:
Borast wrote:The ones I've seen footage of in lab experiments had a rather large muzzle flash/flare. But, the things fired a solid steel slug with no casing.

Probably plasma or combusting metal vapour from the armature, rails, or the slug itself. Er... wait, is this a coilgun or railgun?

Honestly...I don't know.

This was over 20 years ago I saw the film... A weekly pre-cursor to the Discovery Channel's daily Science news show.
Fnord

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Borast wrote:
Qev wrote:

Honestly...I don't know.

This was over 20 years ago I saw the film... A weekly pre-cursor to the Discovery Channel's daily Science news show.

That is likely a railgun as seen on military.com. The coilguns don't have a flash because.
A) there is no metal to metal contact it is a gauss weapon not an EM weapon
B) there is no armiture to become plasma.
The video was of a railgun.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Anything is possible ZK...

As I said, this was over 20 years ago... :D
Fnord

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Borast wrote:Anything is possible ZK...

As I said, this was over 20 years ago... :D
Yeah what's KS say 2 percent :D
SoulofThunder
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by SoulofThunder »

this is interesting as well as informative .

http://www.exn.ca/video/?video=exn20040 ... smaboy.asx
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

FefnaGale wrote:this is interesting as well as informative .

http://www.exn.ca/video/?video=exn20040 ... smaboy.asx

You have an alternate link, I'm not getting anything?

Return to “Rifts®”