Robotech/Rifts Rules questions

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Re: Robotech/Rifts Rules questions

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

tcabril wrote:All-
Please bear in mind that its been awhile since I have had a chance to run any game or play in an RPG for over 10 years (Marriage, children, career do take their toll on gaming...LOL). I am trying to get my old group back together to do some Robotech (and Rifts as well) but I have some rules questions that I hoped y'all could assist me with.

Welcoem back to the Gamerlands:

1. Attacks per round. :oops:
I am a tad confused as to how many attacks on should get per round. My original understanding was that if you had no Hand to Hand (HTH) skill you got only 1 attack per round; and if you had a HTH skill you got two. I have been told (by some people at the local hobby shop) that you actually get 4 attacks per round if you have a HTH skill - thus 2 attacks for being you and 2 attacks for the HTH skill. Then if you are in either Mecha or power armor/robot and have the appropriate skill you would have 6 attacks per round - thus 2 for being you and 2 for the HTH (4 total for pilot) and then 2 more for the armored combat skill.
Can someone be so kind as to clear this up for me?

Starting with Rifts 10th Edition.. i mean Printing and HU2, the "2 attacks for living" became part of palladium system. whast that mean for Robotech? nothing, go with what you like. Robotech is more Balanced toward the 1 for no skills, 2 fo base hand to hand, and 4+ in a Mecha... but if you want to add the +2 for existing.. go ahead... then you come in the problem of NPC's in robotech were all designed around the base 2 system.. Adding 2 attacks to Named NPC's and "Boss" guys, and leaving Peons with 2 less then Heroics gives a more "Flashy & Heoric" feal to the game.. and you can rack up more kills in one game then Max sterling in Macross & Sentinels...

2. The to hit roll and called shots. :shock:
Please note that I am not going to use AR in my example. The question is - is a natural 1-4 that is an automatic miss on a D20 roll or is it if the total after modifiers is 1-4 it is a miss? I can understand the first but the second instance means that there is only a 5% chance to miss ever?
So in a nut shell is it an modified or unmodified 1-4 on a D20 roll that is an automatic miss?

As of BTS2nd Ed. a Natrual one is always a Miss, & a Nat 20 is always a hit (unless countered with another nat 20).
any roll 2+ gets modifiers...
now the to hit Numbers for palladium system have changed in recent years to, Ranged combat varies based on which book you read. Distance is a huge factor, making the base to hits 8 or 12... movement is another modifier, size, and speed... and if your moving... and... Way many modifiers.
For Called shots it states that the roll must be an unmodified 12 or higher to hit the called area otherwise it just hits main body. So why is the automatic miss unclear?

In Recent Editions.. er Printings of Rifts, the Called shots are 12+ with modifiers... (of corse it has changed alot on how you come by making a called shot... varieing form 2 to 3 actions for a Called shot... )

3. Movement in combat. :eek:
How far can an individual move in combat per round or per attack? I can find no rules for this anywhere.

The more attacks you have.. the Less you move between them... you figure how far one can cover in a round, based of the Speed Atribute or Mecha Speed.. and Divide by how many attack you have... you can cover that distance per attack... and attack.. thou it would be a Wild shot...

Thanks in advance - it is good to be back to gaming even if it is an old game Robotech (but I LOVE Robotech!!!!). I plan on exploring Rifts as well as soon as I get my GM experience back up to speed.

Thanks again.

TODD

if you have more Question Look in the FAQ Archive and the Q & A forums... generally you'll get an good answer in 2-3 hours in the Q&A forum, Dr. DoomIII is happy to give you a one word answer to your Questions.
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Robotech/Rifts Rules questions

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

tcabril wrote:All-
Please bear in mind that its been awhile since I have had a chance to run any game or play in an RPG for over 10 years (Marriage, children, career do take their toll on gaming...LOL). I am trying to get my old group back together to do some Robotech (and Rifts as well) but I have some rules questions that I hoped y'all could assist me with.
1. Attacks per round. :oops:
I am a tad confused as to how many attacks on should get per round. My original understanding was that if you had no Hand to Hand (HTH) skill you got only 1 attack per round; and if you had a HTH skill you got two. I have been told (by some people at the local hobby shop) that you actually get 4 attacks per round if you have a HTH skill - thus 2 attacks for being you and 2 attacks for the HTH skill. Then if you are in either Mecha or power armor/robot and have the appropriate skill you would have 6 attacks per round - thus 2 for being you and 2 for the HTH (4 total for pilot) and then 2 more for the armored combat skill.
Can someone be so kind as to clear this up for me?

Originally, a character with HTH: Basic would only get 2 attacks per melee... but then Palladium changed it so that everybody gets a base of 2 attacks per melee in addition to the base from the HTH skills.

So now a character with HTH: Basic now gets 4 attacks per melee to start.
(Palladium insists that it has always been this way... "These are not the attacks you are looking for...")

2. The to hit roll and called shots. :shock:
Please note that I am not going to use AR in my example. The question is - is a natural 1-4 that is an automatic miss on a D20 roll or is it if the total after modifiers is 1-4 it is a miss? I can understand the first but the second instance means that there is only a 5% chance to miss ever?
So in a nut shell is it an modified or unmodified 1-4 on a D20 roll that is an automatic miss?

It's a modified roll of 1-4.
So on an Aimed shot, you really can't miss unless you roll a nat. 1 (which is finally officially always a miss).
On the other hand, the latest incarnations of the rules (as per GMG 4th printing, Splicers, and BtS 2nd Edition) it seems like the "4" has been changed to an "8"...

For Called shots it states that the roll must be an unmodified 12 or higher to hit the called area otherwise it just hits main body. So why is the automatic miss unclear?

Palladium is vague and inconsistant.

3. Movement in combat. :eek:
How far can an individual move in combat per round or per attack? I can find no rules for this anywhere.

I think somebody answered this in another thread... it's something like "Spd. = feet per second"...
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”