Alpha VS Beta

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Which Veritech

Alpha Fighter
69%
Beta Fighter
31%

Total votes: 29

Ronin Shinobi
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Sportsmeister and Mr.Sports of sound off, endorsed by cornholioprime

Alpha VS Beta

Unread post by Ronin Shinobi »

Which of these two Veritechs would you prefer to pilot? Or, which is the most popular to pilot in your game?

Me I prefer the Alpha. My reason is vain. I like the look of it over the Beta.
Last edited by Ronin Shinobi on Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Showoff often leads to showdown
Svartalf- Shinobi, You're twisted
Mack- I'm constantly amazed at what people will put their energy into. This planet needs more predators.
Saitou Hajime- What kind of Americian are you?
Shadyslug- Good question
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

Beta.

Why? Its a thug! And we're not talking that emmaciated RPG version either. I only want the 'real' thing from the Tv series. :D
Rimmer
Adventurer

Unread post by Rimmer »

Alpha, looks cooler.

Yes i know very well how vain i am thank you.
I let my wife play rifts once....................she shot me in the back of the head with a naruni plasma pistol, gaffa taped a type 4 fusion block to my nether regions, and kicked my ass off the apc travelling at 100 MPH

gimme a break, my pc is a playa, not me.
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

Personally I prefer the Shadow Alpha Vindicator is my first choice.
Novastar
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "A monarch's neck should always have a noose around it. It keeps him upright." ~ Heinlein

Unread post by Novastar »

Beta: Rock you like a cop...
Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
I would hit that so hard that whoever could pull me out would be the true-born king of England. ~ Mark Hall
Novastar only speaks the truth. ~ Brandon Aten, aka The Galactus Kid
The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

Alpha. VAF-6J to be spesific. Much cooler.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
Janus
Dungeon Crawler
Location: If there is a bright center to the universe then I am in Uranus

Unread post by Janus »

Given the above choices, the Alpha. Given any, the AJACs.
There is always a 5%chance of anything happening...even a monkey can crawl out of your butt.

Flamethrowers, that's what we need. The army has them, why can't we have them too?

I am the King of Thoughtless Wishing.

I nominate you for Fan Defensive Lineman of the year. - Geronimo 2.0
Ronin Shinobi
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Sportsmeister and Mr.Sports of sound off, endorsed by cornholioprime

Unread post by Ronin Shinobi »

Sorry about the limit of choice. I felt that the Vindicator, Shadow fighters, etc were basicly the same model. Just with a diffrence in size or with an additional feature.
Showoff often leads to showdown
Svartalf- Shinobi, You're twisted
Mack- I'm constantly amazed at what people will put their energy into. This planet needs more predators.
Saitou Hajime- What kind of Americian are you?
Shadyslug- Good question
Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

Alpha Fighter: style, looks, maneuverbilites, small and therefore easier to hide, not a protoculture consuming monster.
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
Wildfire
Adventurer

Unread post by Wildfire »

Alpha or manoverability and the cooler look.
Plus as mentioned already it is smaller and get places a Beta can not.
Raiden

Grapefruit

Unread post by Raiden »

I choose Grapefruit!! GO GRAPEFRUIT!!

Nah, just kidding. Actually, I chose the Alpha. Looks better, more maneuverable, smaller for the more clandestine missions.....although how clandestine can you get in ANY mecha.

So yeah, bottm line, Alpha all the way.
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

Unread post by Comrade Corsarius »

VT-99 Surgut. (hey, it's a veritech, it transforms! Sure, they only made a few dozen of them....)

Oh, you mean one of those two above? *ahem*

Alpha.
Why?
a) Because the alpha is nimble and quick (that extra attack goes a long way).
b) It has superior targeting for it's long range systems (+1 to strike thanks to that second head laser targeting scope thingy that's on the shoulder.. you can see by the technical terminology I am just SO up there with piloting REF mecha).
c) While it carries less missiles, it has a higher rate of fire of them. The Beta cannot unleash its entire missile load in a single attack, the alpha can. This would result in a potential maximum damage strike for an alpha of... hmm.. 60 AP missiles at maximum of 60 MDC each... equals 3600MD in potentia for a single attack.
The best the beta can fire in a single attack is 43 missiles. Not quite the same number, and the damage yield is correspondingly less. 16 missiles from the MM-40S, 20 (10 from each leg), 6 MRM from the top mounted racks, and a single LRM. So: 36 AP at 60, is 2160 plus 6 medium plasma at 120, is 720 plus 2160 = 2880, plus one proton torpedo at 240 = 3120 in potentia maximum possible attack
d) most importantly, the alpha has fully articulated hands, which can pick up a gunpod, or pick up two and double it's projectile firepower. The beta (unfortunately for we TV buffs who love the arm guns) has no weapons bar its missiles when in battloid mode, a serious limitation especially if fighting in a resource-limited environment such as Invid Earth. I've played the Invid Earth nearly exclusively for about 12-15 years, and trust me, working missile caches are few and far between (having worked on real missiles IRL gives you an insight to just how temperamental the things really are). I'm much happier to waste a clip of GU-XX knowing that the next freedom fighter's town could even hand-load the spent brass (if it REALLY had to), but once that missile is gone, it's a finite resource, goodbye.

Alpha rules, fair and square. Beta looks cool, has balls of style, has arm shields that are an essential part of the transformation sequence (a bit silly, methinks, unlike the Logan that can still operate in space without its wing-shields), but loses out in the practicality stakes.
I'd get up in the morning and watch the sun rise over the yardarm of my sky-ship as the sails billowed in the breeze and the land slid by 300-odd metres below. I'd grasp the mahogany ship's wheel, turn her nose a few points back onto the line, and feel pity for all those poor bastards below who have to work for a living. - My idea of the good life in Rifts.

Steampunk SAMAS finally built!
The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

Comrade Corsarius wrote:VT-99 Surgut. (hey, it's a veritech, it transforms! Sure, they only made a few dozen of them....)

Oh, you mean one of those two above? *ahem*

Alpha.
Why?
a) Because the alpha is nimble and quick (that extra attack goes a long way).
b) It has superior targeting for it's long range systems (+1 to strike thanks to that second head laser targeting scope thingy that's on the shoulder.. you can see by the technical terminology I am just SO up there with piloting REF mecha).
c) While it carries less missiles, it has a higher rate of fire of them. The Beta cannot unleash its entire missile load in a single attack, the alpha can. This would result in a potential maximum damage strike for an alpha of... hmm.. 60 AP missiles at maximum of 60 MDC each... equals 3600MD in potentia for a single attack.
The best the beta can fire in a single attack is 43 missiles. Not quite the same number, and the damage yield is correspondingly less. 16 missiles from the MM-40S, 20 (10 from each leg), 6 MRM from the top mounted racks, and a single LRM. So: 36 AP at 60, is 2160 plus 6 medium plasma at 120, is 720 plus 2160 = 2880, plus one proton torpedo at 240 = 3120 in potentia maximum possible attack
d) most importantly, the alpha has fully articulated hands, which can pick up a gunpod, or pick up two and double it's projectile firepower. The beta (unfortunately for we TV buffs who love the arm guns) has no weapons bar its missiles when in battloid mode, a serious limitation especially if fighting in a resource-limited environment such as Invid Earth. I've played the Invid Earth nearly exclusively for about 12-15 years, and trust me, working missile caches are few and far between (having worked on real missiles IRL gives you an insight to just how temperamental the things really are). I'm much happier to waste a clip of GU-XX knowing that the next freedom fighter's town could even hand-load the spent brass (if it REALLY had to), but once that missile is gone, it's a finite resource, goodbye.

Alpha rules, fair and square. Beta looks cool, has balls of style, has arm shields that are an essential part of the transformation sequence (a bit silly, methinks, unlike the Logan that can still operate in space without its wing-shields), but loses out in the practicality stakes.

There's that superior Soviet education for you. 460/80=5.75 :) ;)
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

phoboskitty wrote:Shadow Alpha!!!

actually a Shadow Armored Alpha...

Armored Alpha too?
I like theregular Beta... but from the Look, the Shadowed-Armored Beta is impesive.
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

Colonel Wolfe wrote:I like theregular Beta... but from the Look, the Shadowed-Armored Beta is impesive.

Hehe...nothing like mounting a Synchro-Cannon to the top of a Beta. :D

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”