Cyclones for everyone!

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Cyclones for everyone!

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

Well, they may have only 130 MDC, carry a mere 8 Mini-missiles in the chest launcher built on a CVR-1/2 body armor with 22 MDC and doesn't have laser resistant armor, but we are turning out our own cyclones!
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Re: Cyclones for everyone!

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

The Artist Formerly wrote:Well, they may have only 130 MDC, carry a mere 8 Mini-missiles in the chest launcher built on a CVR-1/2 body armor with 22 MDC and doesn't have laser resistant armor, but we are turning out our own cyclones!

Thats Frag-tastic.
how do the perform? same Agility as the Mars base versions? auto-dodge? Decent Travel speeds?
is anyone in your forces really good at mecha-mechanics/engineering? they could possibly backwards-develop a Micronian Power armor or some Type of Exo-Armor from the cyclone... I figure the Transformation systems were the worst part of the design to build effectivly.. and cheaply.
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
The Artist Formerly
Champion

Re: Cyclones for everyone!

Colonel Wolfe wrote:
The Artist Formerly wrote:Well, they may have only 130 MDC, carry a mere 8 Mini-missiles in the chest launcher built on a CVR-1/2 body armor with 22 MDC and doesn't have laser resistant armor, but we are turning out our own cyclones!

Thats Frag-tastic.
how do the perform? same Agility as the Mars base versions? auto-dodge? Decent Travel speeds?
is anyone in your forces really good at mecha-mechanics/engineering? they could possibly backwards-develop a Micronian Power armor or some Type of Exo-Armor from the cyclone... I figure the Transformation systems were the worst part of the design to build effectivly.. and cheaply.

Speed is reduced but only by 10 percent (190 MPH). Combat bonuses are the same, part of why it's other stats are reduced. Fuel effiency is down on both counts. We can't manufacture either the H-90 or the sabers, nor can we build plasma warheads for missiles. Since we're using the battler as our standard build, the new ones carry armor pericing minis up front (but one can use any of the standard mini-missiles) and we're making mod kits for REF build cyclones to do the same. It's also a bit heavier.

We had the option of either going with the full armor and weapons load, but reduced combat abilities or keeping the combat stats but giving up some of the weapons and armor. I hope to trade with Overwatch, some of our munitions and cyclone production for the loan of their BMEs to come help us fine tune.

I've often wondered if the REF didn't have a non-transformable suit like the Micronian Power Armor. For marines and other man sized space born forces. Motorcycles on space ships for what would be a marine force doesn't make too much sense.

We kicked the idea around, but we decided to put our resources on the blue prints we had. Cyclones are more universally benifical to the overall cause (I hope). Power armor infantry being moderately less useful to the resistance then powered armor dragoons. We need both, but our manufacturing abilities and resources are so limited.

We did just add seven new, well trained techs to our crew, including a Aussie who used to work at the Robotech Far East research facility. We kind of, borrowed them, from the Invid Sympathizers in Port Victoria. Hehehehehe. The new guy would be the ASC equivellant of a BME.

I hope I hope I hope I hope he will be able to help us get either (or both) the Assault Battloid or the Super Logan into production.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
The Artist Formerly
Champion

OH! And they have SDC tires. Forgot that part.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

The Artist Formerly wrote:OH! And they have SDC tires. Forgot that part.

Man, that sucks!
MDC tires are the best....
Good for you about the rest, though...
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

SDC tires are more common though, means resistance groups can operate with fewer supply issues.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
The Artist Formerly
Champion

Killer Cyborg wrote:
The Artist Formerly wrote:OH! And they have SDC tires. Forgot that part.

Man, that sucks!
MDC tires are the best....
Good for you about the rest, though...

We can synthizie only so much, we just lack the expertiese, logistics and resources for a full on cyclone. Still, beats a kick in the face. And we have very aggressive recycling program. Looking to try and either recover or refine from other sources the stuff we need to get a more standard cyclone system.

glitterboy2098 wrote:SDC tires are more common though, means resistance groups can operate with fewer supply issues.

Tru' dat. And on the up tick, China is covered with all kinds of auto industry sub-assembly manufacturing Everyone from BMW to Honda has a plant in China so it really does cut down some of the supply side needs. :)
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

glitterboy2098 wrote:SDC tires are more common though, means resistance groups can operate with fewer supply issues.

I have always had a Problem with MDC Tires.. that are inflatable...
if it takes 3 pounds of Dynamite to Puncture the Tire.. how much Air pressure dose it take to inflate the thing?
looks like the average Motorcycle Tire has about 20 SDC... thats pretty tough...
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
The Artist Formerly
Champion

Colonel Wolfe wrote:

if it takes 3 pounds of Dynamite to Puncture the Tire.. how much Air pressure dose it take to inflate the thing?
looks like the average Motorcycle Tire has about 20 SDC... thats pretty tough...

Did you know? The REF's biggest use of protoculture was for their air compressors.
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

The Artist Formerly wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:

Did you know? The REF's biggest use of protoculture was for their air compressors.

PC makes nuclear Reactions 1000x better... it makes ait compressors better to... i guess you really can use it for anything...
they also auto-reinflate after ebing poped open by missisles... i think in the last episode, Rook's -38 gets it read (nearly)hit by some missiles from Corg.. and one of the Tires is completly Fragged... a few sceens later she has it back in perfect shape...
either it self-repairs, or she has a Nascar pit crew to help her out.
i've always used the tires as 200 SDC... and when they take any hit they will begin to deflate... but can be patched...
The Artist Formerly
Champion

Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:

PC makes nuclear Reactions 1000x better... it makes ait compressors better to... i guess you really can use it for anything...
they also auto-reinflate after ebing poped open by missisles... i think in the last episode, Rook's -38 gets it read (nearly)hit by some missiles from Corg.. and one of the Tires is completly Fragged... a few sceens later she has it back in perfect shape...
either it self-repairs, or she has a Nascar pit crew to help her out.
i've always used the tires as 200 SDC... and when they take any hit they will begin to deflate... but can be patched...

I still want to know how they get reaction mass out of protoculture.

All kidding aside.

I don't think there is air in those tires anyway. The properties of the air inside the tire would vary with ambiant air temp. Cyclones are multi-enviromental fight systems. The REF would need a tire that is as dependable on the dark side of Mars as they are in the Gobi desert at high noon.

Maybe some kind of semi-squishy goo? Got some give to it to absorb shock and is self patching?
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

I still want to know how they get reaction mass out of protoculture.

-Magik-

All kidding aside.

I don't think there is air in those tires anyway. The properties of the air inside the tire would vary with ambiant air temp. Cyclones are multi-enviromental fight systems. The REF would need a tire that is as dependable on the dark side of Mars as they are in the Gobi desert at high noon.

until I saw that episode I figured they were Solid Rubber or Simmiler Materials.

Maybe some kind of semi-squishy goo? Got some give to it to absorb shock and is self patching?

the one on Rooks Cyc, was Completyl Blown out... no form left.. then fixed.. just an animation error.

for how tough they are in the RPG, either a Soild tire or like you said, some sort of Chemical that reacts to Open Air, forming a solid patch when ruptured. Maybe the REf invested in huge amounts of Fix-a-Flat before leaving earth... and Reprogramed the RFRS to make tons of the Stuff... the Canisters that Team bernard were really getting were Fix-a-flat Canisters.
The Artist Formerly
Champion

Colonel Wolfe wrote:-Magik-

Apparently.

until I saw that episode I figured they were Solid Rubber or Simmiler Materials.

Got to be something that would provide a consistant reaction dispite a wildly varying number of enviromental conditions.

the one on Rooks Cyc, was Completyl Blown out... no form left.. then fixed.. just an animation error.

for how tough they are in the RPG, either a Soild tire or like you said, some sort of Chemical that reacts to Open Air, forming a solid patch when ruptured. Maybe the REf invested in huge amounts of Fix-a-Flat before leaving earth... and Reprogramed the RFRS to make tons of the Stuff... the Canisters that Team bernard were really getting were Fix-a-flat Canisters.
Fix a flat, That's what I was trying to remember when I was posting. :lol:
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

Unread post by Comrade Corsarius »

For long distance rides (200km or more) I use liquid latex in my pushbike tyres. It's a little heavier, but if you get a leak it oozes out and hardens on contact with air. It's a very nice thing to have. Perhaps the REF uses a similar system?

Otherwise, I'm surprised you didn't try to build a Garland system, Taffy. 3-wheeled instead of two, but the pilot is enclosed in a cockpit in battloid mode (meaning freedom fighters with no armour can still use it) and if I recall correctly the Garland also comes in a hover version (meaning superior all-terrain transport)
I'd get up in the morning and watch the sun rise over the yardarm of my sky-ship as the sails billowed in the breeze and the land slid by 300-odd metres below. I'd grasp the mahogany ship's wheel, turn her nose a few points back onto the line, and feel pity for all those poor bastards below who have to work for a living. - My idea of the good life in Rifts.

Steampunk SAMAS finally built!
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Actually I think the Tornado might have been the best model. A light exoskeleton with a motorcycle/jetpack for transport purposes.

Would have put the least stretch on the resources available.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Unread post by Drakenred®™© »

Comrade Corsarius wrote:For long distance rides (200km or more) I use liquid latex in my pushbike tyres. It's a little heavier, but if you get a leak it oozes out and hardens on contact with air. It's a very nice thing to have. Perhaps the REF uses a similar system?

Otherwise, I'm surprised you didn't try to build a Garland system, Taffy. 3-wheeled instead of two, but the pilot is enclosed in a cockpit in battloid mode (meaning freedom fighters with no armour can still use it) and if I recall correctly the Garland also comes in a hover version (meaning superior all-terrain transport)

Well Thats one use for liquid latex I never thought of!
冠双
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Comrade Corsarius wrote: Otherwise, I'm surprised you didn't try to build a Garland system, Taffy. 3-wheeled instead of two, but the pilot is enclosed in a cockpit in battloid mode (meaning freedom fighters with no armour can still use it) and if I recall correctly the Garland also comes in a hover version (meaning superior all-terrain transport)

Whats weird about the Garland.. and its presence in Robotech. When asked about the "Movie" Macek likes to try to Deny its Existance and make as he always planed it to be a Alternate Universe... Except for the Little Problem of Lang's Prototype Cyclone i found on the Senitnels DVD(2002)... Its a Garland with Minor Modifications (Added "Rollbars").
The Artist Formerly
Champion

Zerebus wrote:*just now catches the CVR-½ joke* :ok:
:D Zerebus, as ever the Lois to my Stewie.
The Artist Formerly
Champion

Comrade Corsarius wrote:For long distance rides (200km or more) I use liquid latex in my pushbike tyres. It's a little heavier, but if you get a leak it oozes out and hardens on contact with air. It's a very nice thing to have. Perhaps the REF uses a similar system?

Don't have blue prints for the Garland and lack the over all technical experietise and manpower for such innovation, even if we had a working modle to try and reverse engineer. We have specs for the cyc and lot of practical experience with it. One of the best known units in the League, for obvious reasons.
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

Unread post by Comrade Corsarius »

Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Comrade Corsarius wrote: Otherwise, I'm surprised you didn't try to build a Garland system, Taffy. 3-wheeled instead of two, but the pilot is enclosed in a cockpit in battloid mode (meaning freedom fighters with no armour can still use it) and if I recall correctly the Garland also comes in a hover version (meaning superior all-terrain transport)

Whats weird about the Garland.. and its presence in Robotech. When asked about the "Movie" Macek likes to try to Deny its Existance and make as he always planed it to be a Alternate Universe... Except for the Little Problem of Lang's Prototype Cyclone i found on the Senitnels DVD(2002)... Its a Garland with Minor Modifications (Added "Rollbars").

About 14 years ago (my god, has it been that long?) I went to my local (at the time) library, and they had a book on Robotech Sentinels, showing art, drawings, concepts, and episodes. It may be the 'robotech art3' book, but I don't remember. I DO remember that there was a picture of a 3-wheeled cyclone (which I later found out to be the Garland) in it with the line 'prototype cyclone' next to it.
I'd get up in the morning and watch the sun rise over the yardarm of my sky-ship as the sails billowed in the breeze and the land slid by 300-odd metres below. I'd grasp the mahogany ship's wheel, turn her nose a few points back onto the line, and feel pity for all those poor bastards below who have to work for a living. - My idea of the good life in Rifts.

Steampunk SAMAS finally built!
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Comrade Corsarius wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:

About 14 years ago (my god, has it been that long?) I went to my local (at the time) library, and they had a book on Robotech Sentinels, showing art, drawings, concepts, and episodes. It may be the 'robotech art3' book, but I don't remember. I DO remember that there was a picture of a 3-wheeled cyclone (which I later found out to be the Garland) in it with the line 'prototype cyclone' next to it.

Its in Art 3 as well. as is most of the art work used in the REF Feild guide.. I refer to the Sentinels DVD, as it will be a lot more common to the Veiwers at home then a out of Print book.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”