Robotech and Rifts Technology

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Yendor
Dungeon Crawler

Robotech and Rifts Technology

Unread post by Yendor »

Before you jump on me, this *isn't* about mixing Robotech into Rifts. Looking over the Robotech RPG book's technology, I got to thinking that maybe some of the common gear from Rifts should(?) be available in Robotech. Things such as the flea & tick repelling item, etc. Thoughts? Ideas?
The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

Actually, yeah there are tons of things in Rifts you can either transfer straight over or modify to fit. But that holds true for most game books. For example, the equipment sections of Mystic China/N&SS and Heroes Unlimited are two prime sources of materials. Rifts books like Source one or warlords of Russia is an excelent way to suppliment your existing gaming resources without having to convert or make up stats.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Re: Robotech and Rifts Technology

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

Yendor wrote:Before you jump on me, this *isn't* about mixing Robotech into Rifts. Looking over the Robotech RPG book's technology, I got to thinking that maybe some of the common gear from Rifts should(?) be available in Robotech. Things such as the flea & tick repelling item, etc. Thoughts? Ideas?

Except for Higher Damage/Armor Values.... the Rifts Equipment is generalyl Equal to the, since the Majority of the Rifts hightech combat section is cut and pasted from Robotech, The Robots and Power armors in Rifts have a Symbiotic link just Like Mecha in Rifts...
The Computer Pictured on the Front of the REf Feild guide is the same computer found in Rifts Source book 1...
Ram Jet rounds work good in Robotech as well.
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Wildfire
Adventurer

Unread post by Wildfire »

I like to use the equipment from Macross 2 to supliment the stuff for the Invid era and the ASC era and for rifts. The Camera stuff and the comms gear is cool, but I upgrade the radios to TCCSS (our current tech seems better for some reason, like built in scramblers in the digital radios)
The Artist Formerly
Champion

Double post, never mind. :-P
Last edited by The Artist Formerly on Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
The Artist Formerly
Champion

Wildfire makes a good point you can always toss in modern day stuff to help work out your games as well.
Wildfire
Adventurer

Zerebus wrote:
Isn't there a modern equipment list of some sort in the Compendium of Contemporary Weaponry?

But is it up to date with military hardware that is not guns and bombs?
The Artist Formerly
Champion

Wildfire wrote:
Zerebus wrote:
Isn't there a modern equipment list of some sort in the Compendium of Contemporary Weaponry?

But is it up to date with military hardware that is not guns and bombs?

I thought they were working on a update for the next Recon game, but as Recon is on indefinate hold...
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

Unread post by Comrade Corsarius »

What about bionics/cybernetics? I'd say most of the stuff in N&SS is applicable, if only for the REF (I don't think the RDF would have it, and I'd limit the SC stuff, same for the EBSIS). After all, the Invid have it, and they're not exactly technological geniuses.
I'd get up in the morning and watch the sun rise over the yardarm of my sky-ship as the sails billowed in the breeze and the land slid by 300-odd metres below. I'd grasp the mahogany ship's wheel, turn her nose a few points back onto the line, and feel pity for all those poor bastards below who have to work for a living. - My idea of the good life in Rifts.

Steampunk SAMAS finally built!
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Comrade Corsarius wrote:What about bionics/cybernetics? I'd say most of the stuff in N&SS is applicable, if only for the REF (I don't think the RDF would have it, and I'd limit the SC stuff, same for the EBSIS). After all, the Invid have it, and they're not exactly technological geniuses.

The SC Stuff is almost 10 years more Advanced then the REf Equipment... the REf took the Same Designs in 2022 they are returning to Earth in 2039, that 17 years of Stagnation... with only a Few advancements... the REF destroids were put into full production 3 months after they left.... which means they were mostly Designed before the REF left Earthspace (you dont send a Design to Full production with out some level of testing) Shadow Tech is about the only Real advancement they have.
Louis Nichols is alos Very Familier with the cyber technology of the Robotech masters. The Zentradie most likely had a Decent level of Cyber Technology (as seen in the Battle Cry Videogame). The REF is working with a Very limited Supply of Resources... where the UEF has the Resources of an Entire planet Moon and In-system Colonies to rely on.
The only Thing I've noticed about Palladiums Cybertechnology... it never gets any better between Eras.. the Cyber Avalible in pahse Wolrd is about on par with that avalible on HU's 20th Century Earth... usually down to Bonuses and cosmetic appearence.
Targeting Eye?
+1 to hit no matter when or where you get it... and you can prolly get it "Human" looking no mater when.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Wildfire
Adventurer

Col. I assume (since you dislike the Mikinny novels) you are using the TV show and not the novels or the game
Since both of these have the Ajacs and the logan granted the logan and Ajacs are in test mode during Ghost ship.

But if you use the novels then the REF took some Ajacs and logans with them.
The coolest refrence to this is when Edwards right hand man tries to take out Breetai and his crusier full of Zents and they find that the Zents have made thier mecha better and a battle pod destroys a Logan coming in for the "kill shot"

I would allow the RDF to strat to develop cybernetics after the zent defection as they would have access to it on the satilite (I assume that the regular ships would have minimal med bays since the Masters would just clone more zents when they needed them). I just make the tech look cruder than the Rifts and Phase world stuff.
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Wildfire wrote:Col. I assume (since you dislike the Mikinny novels) you are using the TV show and not the novels or the game
Since both of these have the Ajacs and the logan granted the logan and Ajacs are in test mode during Ghost ship.

I go by Several Diffrent Continuitys.
RPG only (Which is Almost as Flawed as the Novels)
Show only (Episodes 1-85, no Movie, no sentinels)
I've not read Mckinney... but I know enough about ti to know he(they) Disreguarded the Show as a Canon source for the Novels they wrote.

But if you use the novels then the REF took some Ajacs and logans with them.

yeah... that Puts the Ajacs with a 8 year testing peiord in the UEG... Mckinney completly Ignores Evidence on screen of the Various REF Fighter & Mecha Designs.... Macek is only slightly better...

The coolest refrence to this is when Edwards right hand man tries to take out Breetai and his crusier full of Zents and they find that the Zents have made thier mecha better and a battle pod destroys a Logan coming in for the "kill shot"

The Logan was Dsigned to Slaughter Zentradie... but the Novels completly Ignored the Series as Canon... Whcih has the Zentradie Extinct by the the Time the REF Returns to Earth (Notice the REf had no ships on scale to carry Full sized Zents... and none of the REf personel had off-colored skin tones).... Even Scott shows a Large dislike for Earths Origonal Would-be Butchers.

in the Real Sentinels Scripts... Edwards is actually the only person who remains loyal to Earth to the end... Hunter & Company Leave the REF to go Save aliens who only wanted to Destroy the Earth in the End... Heck, Edwards is the only one Who Actually Defeated the Invid... He Killed the Regent.... Then Hunter Murdred him... After being infected with an Alien Mind powers...
Wildfire
Adventurer

Colonel Wolfe wrote:

in the Real Sentinels Scripts... Edwards is actually the only person who remains loyal to Earth to the end... Hunter & Company Leave the REF to go Save aliens who only wanted to Destroy the Earth in the End... Heck, Edwards is the only one Who Actually Defeated the Invid... He Killed the Regent.... Then Hunter Murdred him... After being infected with an Alien Mind powers...

Wasn't it Breetai who in single PA combat smoke the Regent by blowing up his MPA
Wildfire
Adventurer

Dairugger XV

Thanks for the correction on AJACs it has been like 10 yrs since I read the novels.

I completekly agree with you on the issue of cybernetics, though this can lead to really cool looks like the old Comico issue after Rick got shot down and had his funky dream, you know the precurser on the cyclone the magical flying bike
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Wildfire wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:

Wasn't it Breetai who in single PA combat smoke the Regent by blowing up his MPA

nope, that was made up by Mckinney, Regent Killed Breetia. then Edwards Killed Regent... then Hunter Murdred Edwards Using his new Alien mind powers.... (Then Hunter Ordred the Entire Earth Murdred with his new Alien Weaponry)

Since the Zents Never went back to Full Size, the Combat Suposedly portrayed in Mckinneys lies never took place. The Regent's powers are on PAr with the Regis in the Sentinels... but Edwards Killed him with a nice Gun Blast ot the Face. According tot eh Scripts Breetia Tried some Hand to hand stuff with Regent... thinking he could do the same as a Micron to Regent as he Did to hunters VF as a Giant.
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

Another concideration for the REF is they had two of earth primary weapons designers for robotechnology. Dr. Lang and Dr. Penn. so it is not very likely that the weapons would have been given upgrades as they were needed, combat tested.

As far as who kills who, it is up to those players and gms to decides for thier own games. I have art three myself, but i prefer the novels. And theough they are not 100% true to the cartoon they stayed in line with it fairly well. I perfer to disreguard the 3 episodes they did make of the sentinels. they sucked big time.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

Lt Gargoyle wrote:Another concideration for the REF is they had two of earth primary weapons designers for robotechnology. Dr. Lang and Dr. Penn. so it is not very likely that the weapons would have been given upgrades as they were needed, combat tested.

Umm.....huh?

Thats like saying that US rocket technology did a nosedive after Werner vaun Braun retired. Who cares if the father of the Reflex Furnace went with the Pioneer Mission. It doesnt mean technology at home all of a sudden dries up. All the scientists of the Robotech Research Group have access to the same data as Lang, Penn and Burke had when they left.

You are forgetting that of there are shown to be 5 members of the Robotech Research Group in the Southern Cross: Dr's Sampson Beckett and Miles Cochrane (they disect a Bioroid in Metal Fire), Dr. Byron (who gives the UEF High Command a briefing on the bio-systems of the captured Bioroid pilot in Metal Fire) and finally Major Cromwell and his assistant (they help fully develop and then acquire the Pupil Pistol's software from Louie Nichols and integrate it into the ASC arsenal in The Hunters). Of the 5, only Major Cromwell and his assistant appear to be like Burke in that they ONLY develop weapons systems and fire-control software.

Its like the idea that Zor took ALL of his secrets with him to his grave, which is untrue. He took one or two secrets that his descendants (the Masters and the DoZ) are desperately trying to recover.
Last edited by Rabid Southern Cross Fan on Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cyclone
Explorer

Unread post by Cyclone »

Also in regards to the Sentinels "movie" and comics, the Sentinels era Alpha Fighters had shell-based gunpods and no sensor pods, which does point towards New Gen Alphas not being the same mecha in use before the REF left.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”