Electrical Eng OCC piloting a "guardian mode" veri

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hav0k
Wanderer

Electrical Eng OCC piloting a "guardian mode" veri

Unread post by Hav0k »

I dont know if you guys are familiar with Kenneth Olson's work for the RPG on robotechresearch.com

I found his VF-SGP-1 "ARMORED OSTRICH" on http://www.robotechresearch.com/rpg/mec ... f_SGP.html

I tried to reach him with some questions, but I think he has not checked his email, so I am posting one of them here in order to have some feedback and ideas....

My idea is that an Electric Engineer OCC (from RPG book 1), around Level 2 or 3 in game terms, is in charge of
the "Armored Ostrich" project, and eventually he will test pilot it before the final version is built.

- How would you "tune down" the Armored Ostrich (I assume that the one appearing in the website is the final one) to reflect the fact that it is a prototype and not the final model? (reduction in MDC, weapon damage, possible jams, reduction in quantity of weapon systems, etc).

- The Engineer has several "pilot mecha" skills, and 2 corresponding mecha combat HTH skills (for traditional destroids on book 1.). I thought that he would be able to pilot the Ostrich without much trouble, but I realized that this mecha should behave in space more like a jet (or an helicopter, due to its "guardian" configuration") than a traditional destroid like the Gladiator (and by the way this mecha would be able to run or even walk on a planet?).
* Which skill would be needed then? Which one is the "right" one to use? Pilot mecha, pilot helicopter, pilot fighter, pilot veritech (very unlikely since this OCC has no such training) ?
* Will this engineer be able to fly it and use it in combat situations? Any penalties or special considerations? (since he also lacks a formal combat training for this specific mecha. I think he eventually can have the bonuses and training included in the mecha's description, but only after a formal training).

Any comments on this will be very helpful.
Adam of the Old Kingdom
Adventurer

Unread post by Adam of the Old Kingdom »

Why would an Engineer, a low level low skilled engineer, be a test pilot, why not a proper test pilot who is experienced with evaluating aircraft.

if the engineer where going on a test machine he may only go as a pasenger, VF-1D style, if the initial tests required the engineer to actualy make changes in flight.
Munchkin Cat Minion
Hav0k
Wanderer

Unread post by Hav0k »

Adam of the Old Kingdom wrote:Why would an Engineer, a low level low skilled engineer, be a test pilot, why not a proper test pilot who is experienced with evaluating aircraft.

if the engineer where going on a test machine he may only go as a pasenger, VF-1D style, if the initial tests required the engineer to actualy make changes in flight.

Main reasons are:

- The GM and the player want the engineer to be more "combat involved" (and increase his chances of dying... :twisted: )
- The engineer has previous flight and mecha combat experience (before becoming an engineer) and being responsible of the mecha development, he wants, needs and is able to provide adequate feedback.
- Lack of "proper test pilots"
- Extreme situations ("oh no! my fellow comrades are helpless and I am the only one near them with only this big giant mecha available... what to do???? :shock: )

This skill question would also apply to any other character that wants to pilot this or any new mecha he is not used to....

But my question appeared when I was thinking about any character different form a veritech pilot that tries to pilot a veritech in guardian mode.... How is this particular mode handled when piloting? As a fighter? a jet? a helicopter? a mecha (with legs and arms) ?
Adam of the Old Kingdom
Adventurer

Unread post by Adam of the Old Kingdom »

well, it's a bit thin. but ain't my call.

anyway, to carry from the series where Roy talks to Rick, "the guardian handles a lot like a fighter", so I'd go with that.
Munchkin Cat Minion
Hav0k
Wanderer

Unread post by Hav0k »

Adam of the Old Kingdom wrote:anyway, to carry from the series where Roy talks to Rick, "the guardian handles a lot like a fighter", so I'd go with that.

mmm..... very good point. I think you are right.

I guess the same applies for Alphas and Betas and any such mechas....

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”