Board index » MDC Worlds » Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 Post subject: Cyclones!
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:45 am

Palladium Books® Staff

Comment: Good work doesn't make a lot of noise.
Oh lord...
So I just sat down and took a re-read of my beloved cyclones, something I haven't done since becoming a motorcyclist and a minor student of things like power to weight ratio, torque curves and motorcycle mechanics. There are some fishy things going on with those cyclone stats brothers and sisters.
1. Weight: In Invid Invasion the book states the standard Cyclone weighs a whopping 200 pounds and the "light" a svelte 110 pounds. Balls! Anyone else here a rider? There's no way those things could be that light. For Example, the Yamaha YZF-R1, a finely tuned sporting motorcycle and marvel of modern engineering, weighs in at 379 pounds dry (add probably 50 pounds for fuel and fluids) That's a street motorcycle kids, one with a 1000cc engine capable of speeds in excess of 180 mph. Bigger bikes, like Harley and Japanese baggers can weigh in over 700 pounds! The cyclone loads out with 14 mini-missiles, has a jet propulsion system, all the nifty fiddly bits that make it a battloid a can of protoculture for fuel and a backup tank of petrol. All that stuff weighs a lot. A fair amount of any cycle's weight is in its engine. How much do you think that protoculture/petrol hybrid mill weighs? A gallon of fuel weighs ten pounds. Mini missiles weigh, what, 5 or 10 pounds each? I'm all for super light weight alloys people, but there's no way that thing could weigh less than 400 pounds dry. And at 200 pounds there's no way that thing would be stable at speed, let alone a platform from which you could launch missiles while moving.

Wow, that was pretty anal. Oh well.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:09 am

Adventurer

Yep, Bike rider.
Yep, spotted that the cyclone weighs about as much as a 250 GP bike.
And the top speed.
and the short wheelbase, but it does have a large front wheel, 17' (?), and a relaxed stearing angle.

It's probably a direct copy from the Anime sheets.

Crazy Japanese.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:28 am

Palladium Books® Staff

a big front wheel and lax rake aren't gonna help a pilot when he hits a hole doing over 100 mph on a 200 pound bike. You'd think that a people who put out machines like the YZF-R1 and the RC-51 could postulate a more rideable future bike. Crazy Japanese indeed.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:33 am

Adventurer

I don't think Yamaha or Hoonda had a say in it.
anyway, max speed of the vehicle ned not be the max speed attainable.
on a further not about speed, the Cyclone is as aerodynamic as a brick, that is one seriously powerfull engine.
300hp?

I find it best not to think about it.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:37 am

Palladium Books® Staff

Quote:
the Cyclone is as aerodynamic as a brick, that is one seriously powerfull engine.
300hp?

Possibly. I'd wager more like low to mid 200s with a massive torque curve. That thing'd need a good, broad powerband to be effective.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:36 pm

Monk

Comment: The Munchkin Fairy
ok, the proble is your comparing real-life weights to the games weights when they operate on differennt techolgy altogether. the frame, while super-though, likely only weighs a mere 50 lbs or so. the rest of the weight comes from munitions, and all the cool gadgets.

remember, for some reason, MDC alloy is unbelivably light for the size.

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:53 pm

Wanderer

REF Field Guide lists the weight of a mini-missile at 2 lbs

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:35 am

Knight

Comment: Eat More Chicken
So you're saying the Cyclone is too light? Advanced composite polymers. We see Scott Bernard hoisting the thing out of his veritech, and he's scrawny. If the Cyclone were 500+lbs, then it'd crush its pilot if it ran out of power.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:59 am

Champion

Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.
Yeah but Z, there are a number of things that the weight of the bike helps with that would be missing in the cyclone.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:28 am

Adventurer

Location: Originally Pittsburgh, Pa, USA, now the SDF-3 lost somewhere in the Eastern Panhandle of W. Virginia
You're all forgetting the golden rule of cartoons: Physics doesn't apply! :lol:

(\__/)
(='.'=) "Very nice work, Major Fury!"- Novastar
(")_(")

"A soldier's job isn't to die for his country, it's to make the other poor #$%@^!& die for his."- Gen. George S. Patton, editted for content ;)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.