RDF 22nd Light Armoured Division (Destroid, Trial)

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

The RDF 22nd LAD was one of the most influential ground units of the RDF. Composed of 750 destroids and 2500 men, the 22nd LAD was able to provide considerable combat power in any theatre to which it was deployed. Beyond that, the 22nd LAD was one of the largest R&D experiments in RDF history.

The 22nd LAD was drawn together shortly after the Malcontent Uprisings. It’s purpose was to provide a highly mobile, yet heavily armoured force that could be deployed globally on short notice. It was also to serve as the first division sized unit composed mostly of the new lighter, faster and more versatile mecha being produced for the RDF.

The primary workhorse of the 22nd LAD was the Gladius. Light, fast and agile, the capabilities of the Gladius meshed very well with the combat philosophy of the 22nd. Backing up the Gladius were three battalions of Crusaders, serving as the primary armoured “fist” of the 22nd. While Spartans and Raidar-X had been retained for air defence, the heavy and ponderous MAC IIs were replaced with the new Mini-Monsters. The Mini-Monsters proved their worth in this unit both as fire support and frontline assault units.

Reconnaissance was mostly carried out by the Light Insurgence Battloids, or by the 22nd’s Air Battalion. The Air Battalion consisted of several teams of Guardian and Aggressor VTOLs. In addition to the reconnaissance mission, they were tasked with close air support and low level air superiority missions. Typically the Guardians and Aggressors would act in concert, the Guardians would scout out potential targets while the Aggressors flew cover. When a target was found the Aggressors would attack and the Guardians would fly cover.

In operation, the 22nd was often used for missions deep behind hostile lines. The most famous of these was in 2022 when the Division was transported deep into the Zentraedi Control Zone via captured Zentreadi Re-entry Pods. Once there, the 22nd conducted aggressive reconnaissance, raiding and interdiction missions that so disrupted Zentraedi operations in that sector what within 2 months the RDF was able to reclaim 5000 square kilometres of territory from the Zentraedi.

Despite their success record, the 22nd was never included in the Pioneer mission to Tyrol. With the REF adopting an even more advanced generation of Mecha, it was felt that it would be best to leave the 22nd on Earth with the RDF. Instead, the REF carried the lessons learned from the 22nd’s experience on their journey to the stars.

On Earth, the 22nd continued to remain active, particularly in the Indochina Quadrant, for several years after the departure of the SDF-3. Eventually the 22nd was absorbed into the Armies of Southern Cross and continued to soldier on until the ASC disintegrated.

Personnel: 427 Officers, 2178 Enlisted
Ground Mecha:
402 Gladius Light Battle Destroids
138 Crusader Main Battle Destroids
119 Raidar-X Air Defence Destroids
84 Mini-Monster Artillery Destroids
18 Spartan Air Defence Destroids
20 Light Insurgence Battloids
Other Ground Vehicles:
138 Jeeps
138 Heavy Trucks
75 APCs
75 Recovery Vehicles
Air Mecha:
21 Aggressor Heavy VTOLs
21 Guardian Light VTOLs
Other Air Vehicles:
18 Heavy Utility Helicopters
18 Light Utility Helicopters

Thoughts? Flames? Kudos?
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

I've been playing around with unit organizing. I've got a system for TO&E for up to division size for any sort of unit.

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Your guess is as good as mine,

what the heck is Red Sky?

The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

Nice work. I think that you might want to add a few more Guardian VTOLs for close support. And you might decrease the number of Gladius and increase the number of Crusaders, on a one for one basis, or mabye squad for squad. The Crusader has significantly greater staying power then the Gladius and should a fight bog down in the jungles of south America, a little extra omphf can go a long ways.

Also, what's your primary form of transport? A regular Daladues assigned to that unit?
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

The Artist Formerly wrote:Nice work. I think that you might want to add a few more Guardian VTOLs for close support. And you might decrease the number of Gladius and increase the number of Crusaders, on a one for one basis, or mabye squad for squad. The Crusader has significantly greater staying power then the Gladius and should a fight bog down in the jungles of south America, a little extra omphf can go a long ways.

Also, what's your primary form of transport? A regular Daladues assigned to that unit?

Well, this is an Armoured Division. Primary air support will come from dedicated units. The 42 organic aircraft are just dedicated to the division alone.

As for the Gladius and Crusader ratio: Most old style Destroid Platoons were 1 Excaliber, 2 Gladiators. I took the ratio and went 1 Crusader, 2 Gladiators.

Primary Transport: Depends on the mission, but the division is entirely self-mobile when it needs to be. Reclaimed Zentraedi Re-entry Pods and the Deadalus Carrier Ships are the msot common method of deployment though.

Lt Col Andy Reddson wrote:
Jefffar wrote:Your guess is as good as mine, what the heck is Red Sky?

The coming of the Invid?:nh:

Well by that time the unit is wholly absorbed as part of the Armies of Southern Cross. Being a light and mobile armoured division, it'd probably be one of the first units used to meet the Invid landing force in the Quebec Sector.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”