Board index » MDC Worlds » Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.

Should I or shouldn't I?
Yes 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
No 60%  60%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 10
Unread postPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 3:48 pm

Adventurer

Ok, reading Zerebus' alternate Robotech setting got me to thinking about removing the original animes that spawned it. Now I'm fully expecting people to go, "What would be left of Robotech if you did that?" The answer is simplicity itself: You'd have what seperated Robotech from those three shows to begin with. In other words: You'd have three wars spanning over three generations, with the wars being fought over a special power source (which I'm sorely tempted to rename Energon though I know I shouldn't; yes, I'm in a Transformers phase right now) that is spawned from a semi-mystical weed. I'd include some of the common themes throughout the series: triple-changing mecha, alien romances, so on and so forth. I'd even do some nods towards the original series (like having the first aliens still called the Zentraedi, and genetically engineered slaves, but beyond that different). I'd also like some input from those who are rather sticklers for the show or its three component series to help make sure this thing manages to stay Robotech without becoming a mix of Macross, Southern Cross and Mospaeda. However, I'd first like to know if this is a good idea or not.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 3:52 pm

Knight

Comment: Eat More Chicken
You'd end up with Exosquad. Duh. :p ;)

Robotech is very attached to the Macross characters and New Generation characters... the Southern Cross characters to a lesser extent. If you rewrite it from scratch, you run the risk of ending up with "just another B rate scifi show" as opposed to a Robotech spinoff.

My two cents.

EDIT: Personally, I'd rather see a Fast Food Freedom Fighters edit of Robotech. "Their puny weapons are nothing against our superior Robotech!" "Damnit, Scotty! If you mention that show again, I'll stab you to death with my chin!"

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 4:53 am

Adventurer

Hmm, by the overall lack of interest, I'm going to say this is a bad idea. Now I have five options for summer projects:

1. Maybe a setting where instead of Zor's battlefortress crashing on the Earth you get either the SDF-3 or a Tri-Star (or maybe both colliding into the SDF-1) resulting in changes to the timeline.

2. Some changes to the timeline where the Zentraedi win the First Robotech War then use Earth as their base of operations while they go for a full up rebellion against the Robotech Masters.

3. Some combination of the two above.

4. Try to restart my Robotech Master Conquest (the one where the Masters invaded Earth during the early 2020s leading to a Resistance movement and a Third Robotech War between the EDF and the Sentinels) project.

5. Just stick with my other two long-term RPG projects I have to do.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 12:54 pm

Knight

Comment: Eat More Chicken
Dairugger XV wrote:
Hmm, by the overall lack of interest, I'm going to say this is a bad idea. Now I have five options for summer projects:

1. Maybe a setting where instead of Zor's battlefortress crashing on the Earth you get either the SDF-3 or a Tri-Star (or maybe both colliding into the SDF-1) resulting in changes to the timeline.

Better idea, since the SDF-3 would probably just revert into a regular SDF-1 in the process of the brutal crash:

Rem's plan to go back in time half-works. The SDF-3 ends up defolding just in time to see the SDF-1 crash on South Atalia. Quick tests show that this is, in fact, a NEW timeline without any of the Back to the Future qualms, and the SDF-3 has already been detected by the powers on Earth, so you can forget about hiding and hoping nobody notices you. Heck, there are probably space shuttles already on their way.

We've actually gone through this possibility before, but never in much detail. I think it stands to reason that you could expand upon it greatly.

Quote:
2. Some changes to the timeline where the Zentraedi win the First Robotech War then use Earth as their base of operations while they go for a full up rebellion against the Robotech Masters.

Heh. Good luck there. I have no doubt that the Zentraedi could find the Protoculture Factory if they could just capture the SDF-1, since they effectively knew where in the ship to look. But, even if you give them a larger degree of technical abilities (which is warranted) than they have in the normal RPG, they're going to have a lot of trouble adapting that protoculture to work for their ships and mecha.

Quote:
3. Some combination of the two above.

That would be nasty, but interesting.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 1:03 pm

D-Bee

Zerebus wrote:
Quote:

Heh. Good luck there. I have no doubt that the Zentraedi could find the Protoculture Factory if they could just capture the SDF-1, since they effectively knew where in the ship to look.

The novels covered that... the Protoculture Matrix they were looking for wasn't there. Went away with the Fold Engines I believe.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 4:25 pm

Adventurer

You know what, I will go with number three because it has the most potential and would be challenging to make believable. I'm just going to start putting some thoughts out of ideas/outlining and do a serious write-up shortly thereafter. Mind you I'm probably going to have to ignore the novels as a primary source of continuity to do some of the things I want to do.

Macross Saga:
1999 Crash: The SDF-1 is suddenly engulfed and destroyed by a second fold bubble. The SDF-3 then crashes onto South Atalia.

The Crew and ship: All of the ones that would be duplicates in the Macross Saga die in the crash. Everyone else is banged up, but no real harm done. I'd probably throw in the 15th Squad from the ASC just to cover all generations (which brings up a potentially interesting father/daughter rivalry). The SDF-3 itself is in desperate need of repairs and outright rebuilding in some parts of it, but a lot of systems and mecha are still in one piece.

What no Protoculture Matrix? Who needs one? Especially when you have a Zor clone who can make the things for ya, and has an interest in not seeing this timeline go down the same route the other one did.

So, how are the Zentraedi going to have a chance of surviving the opening months of the war? Simple, an REF-trained Zentraedi vessel appears elsewhere in the universe and makes a secret (from the Robotech Masters at least) deal with Dolza. New tactics, conditioning and technology on the Zentraedi side definately is not going to make this the same First Robotech War one is used to.

Major Warning: Characters are going to change from the original story, new ones will be added, and some characters will face different fates (life and death) than they did in the original.

Sentinels, SC Saga and New Gen: I'll get back to ya on these.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.