Board index » MDC Worlds » Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Unread postPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 4:13 pm

Okay, I have a dilemma with my Co-GM about maximum weight allowences for Veritechs and how much they can carry whether ordinance or extra armor plating and still fly in Robotch Macross setting.

Now I've noticed it says as much as 30% but I have even seen more armor plating then that above the normal MDC on some Mecha in the books!

Now I'm not talking about the the Battloid Veritech for extra armor plating I'm talking about adding on extra armor plating to a Veritech like more along the lines of the SAP Veritech, but either on a standard or the Super Veritech which already has some extra armor plating.

I was curious how other GM's handle such situations on the weight armor plating issue.

Thanks
Pro M

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 5:54 pm

Adventurer

Location: Originally Pittsburgh, Pa, USA, now the SDF-3 lost somewhere in the Eastern Panhandle of W. Virginia
Depends where the Veritech is going to be used. In space it wouldn't matter as much as it would on an Earth like planet. In space I'd say there is no limit to a certain extent, but when in a planetary atmospere I'd say the engineers probably hit the safe limit when they designed the fast packs. For more fast packs other than those listed in the RPG checkout Macross Mecha Designs fast pack page. Not all of them will be usable with the VF-1 but there are a few with optional weapon systems that didn't appear in the RPG.

(\__/)
(='.'=) "Very nice work, Major Fury!"- Novastar
(")_(")

"A soldier's job isn't to die for his country, it's to make the other poor #$%@^!& die for his."- Gen. George S. Patton, editted for content ;)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 10:00 pm

Supreme Being

Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.
Uhm, the SAP is basically the Super Veritech of another generation.

Dead Boy wrote:
All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 1:07 am

Champion

Uh yea....and the VF-1s cannot use the FAST Pack/Super Armor in atmosphere anyway. They also can only mount medium or short range missiles on their hardpoints (weight restrictions plus simple physics).

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 10:22 am

Well thanks all far for all and any input so far!

My Co-GM has found some somewhat useful infromation on the real Tom Cat
and can carry some almost 10 tons of ordinance. So whether weapons or extra armor plating 10 tons would be about the max. without tweaking the current systems.

But if anyone still has input whether good or bad by all means let loose!

Thanks Pro M

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 12:50 am

Explorer

I know Rifts conversion book (ducks) has some stats on adding armor. I THINK it said 1ØØ MDC is the limit, but I cant be totally sure.

Beyond that, you mention the F-14 Tomcat can carry up to 10 tons; You should be easily able to extrapolate if a Veritech CAN carry extra armor using the armor stats section of Mutants In Orbit (ducks again).

I'm just waiting to see how long it takes me to get banned.

"Never get into an argument with an idiot; They only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mack

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 10:45 am

Dungeon Crawler

Location: If there is a bright center to the universe then I am in Uranus
Ok, I do not have my books in front of me, but does it say in the RPG that the fast packs cannot be used in atmosphere?

Flamethrowers, that's what we need. The army has them, why can't we have them too?

I am the King of Thoughtless Wishing.

I nominate you for Fan Defensive Lineman of the year. - Geronimo 2.0

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 3:21 pm

Supreme Being

Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.
Nowhere in the RPG, just apply some common sense and look at the more technically minded RT websites.

The pods are un-aerodynamic as micheal moore in a toga.

Dead Boy wrote:

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 3:39 pm

Dungeon Crawler

They would not apply enough thrust to overcome this? Not that it matters it does seem as if they would not be able to operate in atmosphere. I was just wondering if it was covered in the RPG. Never used them in atmosphere, just felt dirty doing so.

Flamethrowers, that's what we need. The army has them, why can't we have them too?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 3:47 pm

Supreme Being

Drag is one of those fun thigns that increase exponentially with speed. While the thrusters might have producedenough force to lift the Super VT off the planet, I doubt they would produce enough thrust to overcome the drag penalties the Super VT would incurr. It could probably have still flown, but I doubt it would manouvre well or reliably break the sound barrier.

Dead Boy wrote:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 4:26 pm

Lt Col Andy Reddson wrote:
I know Rifts conversion book (ducks) has some stats on adding armor. I THINK it said 1ØØ MDC is the limit, but I cant be totally sure.

Beyond that, you mention the F-14 Tomcat can carry up to 10 tons; You should be easily able to extrapolate if a Veritech CAN carry extra armor using the armor stats section of Mutants In Orbit (ducks again).

Actually it's 200 MDC for large robotic vehicles, list it in the GM Guide and New West Books. But that still leaves the dilema of how much weight 300 MDC is and whether the Veritech could fly with it.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 5:19 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Jefffar wrote:
Drag is one of those fun thigns that increase exponentially with speed. While the thrusters might have producedenough force to lift the Super VT off the planet, I doubt they would produce enough thrust to overcome the drag penalties the Super VT would incurr. It could probably have still flown, but I doubt it would manouvre well or reliably break the sound barrier.

Yeah kind of what I thought. Apart from common sense I was just wondering if I had glossed over that in the RPG.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 5:20 pm

Adventurer

Location: Originally Pittsburgh, Pa, USA, now the SDF-3 lost somewhere in the Eastern Panhandle of W. Virginia
If you want to use the Super VF in an atmosphere I'd use the rules from Macross 2 for using the SAP VF-2SS. Max. speed in jet mode would be reduced to MACH 1.5, in guardian around 400 mph, and in battloid about 168 mph. I'd also say that with the boosters engaged in an atmosphere the rate of acceleration and climb would be too great for the VF to engage in any sort of combat. It would be like trying to do a loop in a space shuttle with external fuel tank and boosters still atached at launch. Just isn't going to happen. Reentering an atmosphere with the fast packs attached brings up a totally different problem as to whether it could survive the intense heat generated and if it is heat shielded what does the heat emited by the fast packs do to the unshielded top surface of the VF. This is assuming of course that the VF has heat shielding covering the bottom and edges of the fighter in the same manner as the space shuttle.

(\__/)
(")_(")

"A soldier's job isn't to die for his country, it's to make the other poor #$%@^!& die for his."- Gen. George S. Patton, editted for content ;)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 5:29 pm

Supreme Being

In the cartoon, Rick jettisons his booster gear before or in the early stages of a re-entry

Dead Boy wrote:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 5:34 pm

well, it also says under the S. Veritech that you must jettison them before reentry because of air drag.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 5:48 pm

Adventurer

I thought so too, but I did a quick skim over the VF-1 section of book 1 and didn't see it so I thought I'd throw the part of reentry in just to see other people's thoughts on the matter.

Ok I found it, only the booster/missile launcher packs need be jettisoned the arm and leg units don't need to be. With that in mind how much more manueverable would the leg units make a VF-1 be in an atmosphere since they contain additional manuevering jets, if at all? The book gives an additional +1 to dodge, pary and attacks. Now I can see a bonus to dodge, but the extra bonus to parry and attacks seems a little overblown to me since a pilot isn't likely to parry with a leg and being slightly more manueverable isn't going to add to a pilots own reaction time enough to gain another attack. Any other thoughts on this?

(\__/)
(")_(")

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 7:01 pm

D-Bee

The additional manoeuvrability would allow the Super VT to get into better attack postions faster... hence the extra attack. Similar reasoning for the parry.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 9:40 am

Dungeon Crawler

Ah, so it does say that the boosters need to be dropped to re-enter atmosphere. That would be a good enough "you cannot use them" argument for me. Sorry, but I do not remeber reading them from way back and since I am in the middle of a huge project they (the books) are still packed up.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.