Board index » MDC Worlds » Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.

Would you like it if Palldium released an all new mecha/anime inspired RPG?
Yes 86%  86%  [ 38 ]
No 14%  14%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 44
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 2:55 pm

Knight

Comment: Eat More Chicken
Dairugger XV wrote:
Uh-huh. Remind me again, WHO orginally stated that they'd like to see a "Super Robot" game (take a look at the first page and look for the post from a guy with a pic of Char in his signature)? And don't Super Robots tend to be highly individualized machines going up against waves of mass produced models followed by one highly individualized machine? :P Not that what you just described would be bad, for a "real robot" game. However, I was thinking super robots and when I think Super Robots I either think combiners or mecha as unique as their pilots.

What can I say? I oscillate.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 6:48 pm

Supreme Being

The appropriate word in this case is "vacillate."

Personally I'd love somebody, anybody, to publish a Super Robot Wars-based RPG (paper or electronic). Alas, the series is virtually unknown in America, so I am left to convert all my favorite mecha to Mekton Z and Palladium rules. :(

*skulks away to resume translating the Hückebein's stats*

and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 7:32 pm

Explorer

The Artist Formerly wrote:
So, we're all in agreement about a new Mecha game of some sort then?

Personally, I think that given the scope of such a game and levels of fire power invovled, a game that is only set on earth would kind of be limited (alright, who wants to trash Detroit again?). However, a Mecha game that spans lightyears apon lightyears seems to be, well someone else's intelectual property. But one that took place in Sol, with Earth, Mars, Luna, Phobos and Demios, as well as assorted satelites of the gas giants further out would be plausable for these kinds of combats, give a built in reason for this kind of combat, and a varity of nation states to fuel the fires of war with. For this kind of combat, significant resources (to build these giant death machines) and factionalism is the key for a good story.

Except the above describes both big licenses (Gundam) and numbers filed off versions of big licenses (Jovian Chronicles).

But I prefer that kind of low level. Or even more low level, ground based stuff only.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 10:49 pm

Adventurer

Cyclone wrote:

Except the above describes both big licenses (Gundam) and numbers filed off versions of big licenses (Jovian Chronicles).

Well, Palladium could make something very similar to Gundam or any other series. The trick is that you can't copyright the actual ideas behind the material. Now Palladium couldn't use minivosky particles, but they could create something that would be similar to megaparticle weaponry... though they probably wouldn't since in UC gundam beam weapons usually destroy suits in one hit... unless they wanted to depict a civilization moving from SDC arms and armor into MDC.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 12:32 am

Rifts® Trivia Master

Quote:
Uh-huh. Remind me again, WHO orginally stated that they'd like to see a "Super Robot" game (take a look at the first page and look for the post from a guy with a pic of Char in his signature)? And don't Super Robots tend to be highly individualized machines going up against waves of mass produced models followed by one highly individualized machine? Not that what you just described would be bad, for a "real robot" game. However, I was thinking super robots and when I think Super Robots I either think combiners or mecha as unique as their pilots.

personally, the "Super robot" show i think would be a good to use as an insperation would be Gundam 8th MS team. rather than the custom tricked out Deus-Ex-Machina of the other gundam shows, its just a group of pilots running mass-produced gundam models in the asian theater. while the story revolves around the development of a Uber-mecha by their enemy, the main characters themselves merely piloted slightly better than front line machines. bringing the reality of most of the Gundam-esqe settings to light, While the "Heros" run around in nigh-unstopable uber-mecha, the average grunt still exists, and if you look close enough, they too are heros. (a decent portrayal of real war actually. the media hypes up one or two people, but the thousands others fighting are just as much heros.)

in an RPG, you need the ability to run both kinds of campaigns. the Uber-meta-plot ones where the characters every decision effects the balance of power, and those down and gritty war stories where the characters scrape by on the skin of theit teeth and a bit of unauthorized tactics.

* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 4:20 am

Explorer

Case in point, DP9 refuses any submissions for HG or JC that include super prototypes because even they have driven the stereotype into the ground, not to mention not everybody in a ground can have the uber-mecha...

IMO RT style officer/grunt differences are the most that should be included, possibly with 08th MS Team style kitbashing, low level like GM Head not Ez0.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 12:19 pm

Adventurer

No matter what kind of game (mecha or otherwise) you're going to have similarities to someone else's intelectual property. There is nothing new under the sun. However, what makes it unique and original is the various kinds of combinations and spins you put on the basic concept. You can quite literally have a thousand different settings that are based purely on Earth (or any other single planet) that are considered unique or original, even though almost all of them use the same fundamental ideas and concepts. The same goes with a game confined to a single solar system or spans the entire universe. It is a simple task of unapologetically putting your biases and quirks that make you unique into the setting to make it unique.

glitterboy2098- Actually my questions have more of an impact on the setting than you think. Yes, they do have purpose in determining a campaign, but if you actually think about them in terms of a setting they have their implications there as well. For example (and it's just that), let's say I wanted to do a completely unoriginal Earth is being invaded by aliens concept. The next question I ask myself is: What role does the player characters fill? The role they fill is that they protect the Earth but aren't military (or at least most of them aren't). Well, if that's the case then how did they get their mecha? They found them in old ruins or mysterious alien hangars underneath their houses. Well how does the military feel about this? They don't like it and are trying to confiscate these mecha and arrest the vigilantes that pilot them. So on and so on. Now I still have to answer the questions you asked, but I now have a direction in which to take the setting that might make it interesting and playable and not just an exercise in speculative political theory.

I typically define a Super Robot as a unique superheroic robot in the same style as Voltron, Mazinkaiser, Getter Robo, Macron 1/Goshogun, and Big O. In other words, robots usually owned, operated and maintained by private individuals (typically apart from any military, but not always) that are basically huge, metal superheroes who fill in the gap when the military fails. Gundams (including Wing as overpowered as those Gundams are) tend take a somewhat more realistic approach to mecha as they are usually developed by the military to be some kind of futuristic tank or fighter. To use a Super Robot Wars term, Gundams (including the 08th team) are considered to be real robots.

Tinker Dragoon- I hear ya, I'd love to see something like that too but fear it will never come to pass.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 2:49 pm

Knight

Tinker Dragoon wrote:
The appropriate word in this case is "vacillate."

No, I'm pretty sure I oscillate.

*vibrates through the rest of the new posts on this thread*

The Super Robot vs. Real Robot definitions were spawned by the Japanese, not surprisingly, and these definitions were espoused most directly in the Super Robot Wars video game series (if you can get your paws on ANY of the games in this series, I highly recommend them). Generally speaking, anime fell into one of two categories: realistic, where the heroes stand a good chance of getting killed, if indeed you can manage to hit them, and the mecha all use very solid mechanics and engineering; and super, where the robots use meta-science, tend to face off against giant monster robots more often than simply giant robots, and where the heroes can withstand huge amounts of firepower and dish out twice as much in return... usually after screaming out the name of their attack. Generally speaking, the louder the attack name is screamed, the more damage the attack will do.

Of course, there have since been a few anime that blurr the line. Evangelion, for instance, falls under the category of "Real Robot", but behaves like a Super Robot in many ways. Same with the Gunbuster.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 12:31 am

Here's a basic idea for someone to run with...

Don't make the mecha Gundam sized. Max them at 20 feet.

First off, use a standard frame concept. No mega-sized, super lights, or heavies. Have the basis of it be that a group of scientists devised a way create a nimble, mid-sized robotic skeleton that can be modified in a variety of ways, but DON'T make it a world-wide thing. Use the old anime concept of above average mecha vs. conventional weapons. They don't have to transform or anything, just make them insanely customizable.

Also, make them run on fuel...like a hyped up version of a helicopter's gas turbine engine. This keeps the idea of flight down, and by stating that the system cannot run on anything but a chemical reaction, the munchies who want to chuck all their nuke reactors and other stuff get nipped in the bud. Make it so the thing runs on damn near anything, but still needs fuel. Real fun for those "Behind Enemy Lines" missions.

How do you keep the opposing side from wanting to use mecha? Easy, their government doesn't see the need for them. Why bother when you can keep increasing the abilities of your own conventional weapons? Think along the lines of PatLabor as well....mecha exist, they're powerful, but they sure ain't the end-all be-all of weaponry.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 1:10 pm

Supreme Being

Shin Kenshiro wrote:

Bah, there are too many robots like that in Palladium already. I want to see more 160', 400 ton models :p

and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 4:11 pm

Knight

Tinker Dragoon wrote:
Shin Kenshiro wrote:

Bah, there are too many robots like that in Palladium already. I want to see more 160', 400 ton models :p

A-Men. Or at least more 80ft. models. Something that can take on a Phase World Battleram in hand to hand combat...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 5:02 pm

Rifts® Trivia Master

so far the common threads seem to be:

1) large setting, to maximise playability options

2) potential for super powered truely unique designs. (i say potential because to make an RPG set entirely around that would not sell well, or require some form of design system, which kinda goes against palladium style. )

3) beleivable (if streaching the edge of it) technology.

we have heard support of settings on earth, settings off earth, alien technology, space travel, high tech mecha, lowtech mecha.

now here is a question, can we combine the majority of these into one setting?

* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 6:54 pm

Explorer

Another vote for 20ft's.

Or even better, smaller than that. Bulky chest not because it has to fit the engine or has armor out the warzoo, but because it needs to be that big to fit the pilot :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 9:15 pm

The reason I said max it at 20ft is that if you make them absolutely huge (80-90 ft) you are now in Jovian Chronicles/Battletech scale....by keeping them small you also keep them in the more semi-realistic setting without having to rely on a nuclear reactor or a technician crew of 50...a technician group of 10 can keep a squad of those things in front-line status. Plus it makes for cooler adventures if you let them work with equipment that you can jury rig from a beat up truck to get that mecha back online or syphon off a wrecked car's gas as the battle rages on to get your mecha up to save an infantry group pinned down.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 5:23 pm

Knight

Cyclone wrote:
Another vote for 20ft's.

Or even better, smaller than that. Bulky chest not because it has to fit the engine or has armor out the warzoo, but because it needs to be that big to fit the pilot :)

...............we are so not going to play a game with HG's morphers piloted by one half inch tall fairies...

......are we? :demon:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 7:30 pm

Explorer

No :)

At the small end of my scale we're talking Heavy Gear/Votoms at the large scale Assault Suit Valken. I'd favor more speed instead of armor, probably because it's technically impossible (in said game universe) to have it any other way.

Also be an amusing hand break to crossovers if the most insanely overpowered mecha of that type wouldn't even plink Rifts Earth stuff ^_^

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:17 pm

Knight

Of course! That's it!

Plink Damage!

Normal weapons in the tiny mecha universe do Plink Damage! Super heavy weapons do Super Plink Damage, where 100 Plink = 1 Super Plink, rounding down for fractions! And then have that damage convert to 10 Super Plink = 1 S.D.C....

That way, one Super Plink high explosive missile doing 1D6X10 Super Plink damage would inflict roughly the same damage to a Rifts Earth human as a regular punch to the face!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 11:49 pm

Adventurer

Location: Originally Pittsburgh, Pa, USA, now the SDF-3 lost somewhere in the Eastern Panhandle of W. Virginia
Zerebus wrote:
Of course! That's it!

Plink Damage!

Normal weapons in the tiny mecha universe do Plink Damage! Super heavy weapons do Super Plink Damage, where 100 Plink = 1 Super Plink, rounding down for fractions! And then have that damage convert to 10 Super Plink = 1 S.D.C....

That way, one Super Plink high explosive missile doing 1D6X10 Super Plink damage would inflict roughly the same damage to a Rifts Earth human as a regular punch to the face!

Whatever you've been smoking, can I have some? :lol:

(\__/)
(='.'=) "Very nice work, Major Fury!"- Novastar
(")_(")

"A soldier's job isn't to die for his country, it's to make the other poor #$%@^!& die for his."- Gen. George S. Patton, editted for content ;)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 9:28 am

Dungeon Crawler

Location: If there is a bright center to the universe then I am in Uranus
Yeah send some of that my way as well. Super plink. nOw I have heard everything. That must be the damage they use in SD Gundam.

Flamethrowers, that's what we need. The army has them, why can't we have them too?

I am the King of Thoughtless Wishing.

I nominate you for Fan Defensive Lineman of the year. - Geronimo 2.0

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 3:36 pm

Knight

Janus wrote:
Yeah send some of that my way as well. Super plink. nOw I have heard everything. That must be the damage they use in SD Gundam.

Actually, that's "Bonk" damage. .....but let's not get into that.

As for what I've been smoking...

*offers faerie food candy cigarettes* ;)

EDIT:
DISCLAIMER: Drugs are bad, mm'kay?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 8:09 am

Dungeon Crawler

Location: If there is a bright center to the universe then I am in Uranus
EDIT:
DISCLAIMER: Drugs are bad, mm'kay?[/quote]

That is right kiddies just say no!

All this talk of a new Mecha game made me bring all of my notes on a game I was developing out of my basement. Arrgh! Why will the beast not rest.

Flamethrowers, that's what we need. The army has them, why can't we have them too?

I am the King of Thoughtless Wishing.

I nominate you for Fan Defensive Lineman of the year. - Geronimo 2.0

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 12:32 pm

Wanderer

Janus wrote:
EDIT:
DISCLAIMER: Drugs are bad, mm'kay?

That is right kiddies just say no!

All this talk of a new Mecha game made me bring all of my notes on a game I was developing out of my basement. Arrgh! Why will the beast not rest.[/quote]

Because the beast must feed!

On a serious not I still think we should go for a "Mecha Unlimited" which would allow the game to be customized to any type of setting, from Appleseed style power suits to Getter Robo super robots.

But I'm still liking what I'm hearing from you guys.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 2:04 pm

Adventurer

Location: Originally Pittsburgh, Pa, USA, now the SDF-3 lost somewhere in the Eastern Panhandle of W. Virginia
Zerebus wrote:
Of course! That's it!

Plink Damage!

I got it a Megaman RPG. Everyone could run around as their own little Megaman type robot. :D

(\__/)
(='.'=) "Very nice work, Major Fury!"- Novastar
(")_(")

"A soldier's job isn't to die for his country, it's to make the other poor #$%@^!& die for his."- Gen. George S. Patton, editted for content ;)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 12:59 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Shin Kenshiro wrote:
The reason I said max it at 20ft is that if you make them absolutely huge (80-90 ft) you are now in Jovian Chronicles/Battletech scale.....

in battletech the michs were 33 feet tall some 50.

any instead of waiting for palladium to make it, why dont we get together and free lance the damn thing plus id like to see a mech game were the mechs arent uber advance but actaully first or second gen mechs inother words they look like a tank on legs using tech thats 10-20 years more advance than ours

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 2:35 pm

Adventurer

I was beginning to wonder when that suggestion would come around. It's a good idea, but more likely you're going to get at least 3-4 different mecha settings being designed only because most of the people interested (at the very least the ones who've participated in this thread) have very different things they want to see in a mecha game. More to the point, you have to have someone(or some people) who can keep the steam going on this until it gets done.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 2:44 pm

Knight

More to the point, the legal hassels of being in this thread and taking ideas from other posters here to make your new game would more than likely increase the risk factor of any resulting game beyond what Palladium wants to take on.

I've avoided the Dimensions forum for quite a while now because I'm sitting on some stuff that might be submitted to the Rifter, but my status as an overactive poster makes me wonder about the feasibility of it.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 5:53 pm

Dungeon Crawler

hmmm well to let every one know i wouldnt mind working on the project myself so if any one would like to join in we could set up some sort of thing on AIM to prevent theft of the idea plus i dont care if id make money it just be awesome to see my name on it so what do u think of that

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 7:01 am

Adventurer

I'd offer my help but I'm already working on two RPGs, one of which utilizes mecha already. So I'd rather not get ideas spilling back and forth between the projects. BTW, I'm also working on my own system and neither of the RPGs uses Palladium Material in any way shape or form.

EDIT: The last sentence was a disclaimer to keep people from breathing my neck about doing without the proper liscenses and whatever.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.