Board index » MDC Worlds » Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:54 pm

Adventurer

Feel free to direct me to where I can find the information on this.

So Palladium is no longer printing the Robotech books? What happened? Did they forget to renew the rights for the RPG system and then someone else took them up? Does it have to do with ADV taking up handling the Robotech series?

If it does have to deal with ADV taking up handling of the series, then it probably wouldn't be too hard to get them to agree to letting the RPG books be released again. We'd likely just have to make a petition.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:18 pm

Supreme Being

You're several years behind the times :p

When it came time for Palladium to renew the license years ago, they opted not to for whatever reason. Rumor has it that Harmony Gold placed too many demands and conditions on the license, but I can neither confirm nor deny this.

and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:17 pm

Knight

Comment: Eat More Chicken
The hitch is that Harmony Gold has really been coming down hard on "non-canon" Robotech license material....... which is to say that they're trying to clean up the mess they made by having Robotech spread over comics, novels, and the RPG without tight enough story controls. The new canon material they've come up with allows them to drop Robotech II and create a new Robotech sequal, the Robotech video games, and to license out a new Robotech RPG. Palladium would have had to rewrite most of their books, and given that the book line wasn't selling very well, it just didn't make sense to hold onto the licesne anymore anyway.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:22 am

Macross Guru

Comment: TSC: The Year after Today (PBP play on the Stormwatch forums: http://thedeificnmi.com/maelstrom/index.php)
Isn't it a decade now since the license went out?....if not more

verdilak wrote:
I would make an ugly lesbian :lol:

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:57 am

Adventurer

A decade or even several years is exaggerating things a bit, it's only been 2-3 years since Palladium stopped selling the Robotech RPG. (Was it 2001 or 2002 that PB announced it was dropping the Robotech and Macross II lines?) Sure, it feels like a decade, but it hasn't been nearly that long.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:57 pm

Rifts® Trivia Master

its been over a decade since they produced any new books for the setting. only around 3-4 years since they dropped it.

feels longer.

* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:49 pm

Knight

Comment: Eat More Chicken
It was about three years ago, plus a few months. I remember it well because it happened right when my "We Want New Robotech Books!" thread was starting to pick up a lot of steam.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:26 pm

Adventurer

Well, I've only recently been looking at Palladium's site and I was never in posession of any of their books until I picked up the first Robotech book this year. I really had little way of knowing. ^^;;

But now, what's the situation with Harmony Gold currently? Are they owned / bought out by ADV or is ADV simply helping with the North American re-release of Robotech?
Yeah, I should probably check Harmony's and ADV's websites for info about that...
I can hope that maybe ADV has bought them out, as they may be less worried about what is "non-cannon" and then it could a matter of getting enough names on a pettition to convince ADV and Palladium to talk over about the Robotech RPG. *sighs* One can dream...

EDIT: Yeah... one can dream. ADV has a liscensing agreement with Harmony to release Robotech on video and DVD. That's about it. Unless Harmony ever changes how they feel about "non-cannon" we probably aren't going to see Palladium's Robotech books in print again.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:02 pm

Rifts® Trivia Master

current status of HG? bout the same as ever.

they've been promising a new show for the last 3-4 years, have gone through 2-3 version so far, with no results. keep increasing the cost of product licensing, while demanding more control over what can be done and a stop on new developments until the new show is out (part of the reason PB dropped the license. cost more, but was not allowed to produce much of any new books until a vague 'future time'.)

they have been rewriting the "CANON" of robotech, claiming that they will be streamlining the many different timelines created by the show, books, comics, and games, only to totally muddle up the waters with inclusion of OSM material from the 3 parts thats no longer supported by the shows new form, having a rather dumb timeline writer who cant read visual time cues at all (episodes that obviously occur only a few minutes or hours from each other are put as happnning months apart, and episodes that occur months apart have been shoehorned togeather as happening only a few days apart. i have a hard time beleiving that it took rick, minmei and kyle a month to travel from the carrier arm to the resteraunt. and the first meeting wth ambassidor exedor must have been heck, since by the new HG timeline it lasted all of week between his arival on the ship and dolza telling breetai the grand fleet was coming.)

they are still milking the Macross cashcow, with models, figures and comics galore. after promising they would never pull a lord of the rings and create "special edition" versions of the DVDs, they now have done just that with these Re-mastered versions. now all of us fans who picked up the first DVDs they released will have to get an all new set. :x :x :x do they think we're made of money? :x

sorry if i'm really bitter, but every year i find HG to be more and more exasperating.

first they kill my unseen mechs in battletech, then they kill the Robotech RPG, and now their killing the show while trying to save it.

* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:05 pm

Adventurer

The re-releases and the remastered aren't being released directly by HG though. They're bring released by ADV, so you can probably blame them for the "complete collectsions" followed by the "remastereds".

As for the mechs in Battletech? That's a whole different issue. I do not know if it was actually a situation of HG going after BT, I heard (I stress, heard) that it more had to do with stupid fans (you know, the ones that get up in arms because something was spelled differently by one letter). The actualy battlemech and destroid designs in question were made by the same artist and then sold to two different companies on different continents. Really both companies should have ripped said artist a new one and come to a compromise with each other... That isn't how the world works though.
I think recently there have been a growing number legal issues over names and phrases. It's so dumb I want to blow the heads off of these people. "Oh no! Someone made Metallica lipstick, let's sue!" "Oh no! Someone made a movie with the same name as our documentary, let's sue!" And then we have Trump trying to take control of the phrase "You're Fired"... make the hurting stop...

Unread postPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 3:41 am

D-Bee

Shadow_otm wrote:
Well, I've only recently been looking at Palladium's site and I was never in posession of any of their books until I picked up the first Robotech book this year. I really had little way of knowing. ^^;;

Don't panic. I'm sure that you can pick up the old Palladium books second-hand. They covered everything pretty well by the time they stopped writing new books, IMO. They managed to cover every important time-period and nearly every region of the world, along with a bunch of Sentinels-related stuff. Enough to keep a gamer busy for years, anyway.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.