Board index » MDC Worlds » Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:28 am

Adventurer

Since there's no hard and fast rules for paired energy/ranged weapons in Robotech, how would you people here handle that?

How would you, as GMs, rule a Cyclone Rider using two EP-37s?

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:05 am

Adventurer

this should be an extention of a standard rule, have you checked or posted on the FAQ forum regarding using paired modern weapons?

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:13 am

Adventurer

Yeah, and the only skill listed is in Rifts: New West, and even then it's limited to a few OCCs, and has nothing stated towards other RPGs.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:35 am

Adventurer

then that skill should also state the standard penalty for shooting with 2 weapons, typicaly it's counted as shooting wild. or is it -4?

as an idea, make the sharp shooter skill available to some OCCs and make it cost 2 selections.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:28 pm

D-Bee

I have seen Paired Modern Weapons Proficiency as an OCC ability in three books, Rifts: New West, System Failure, and Heroes Unlimited 2nd Ed.. Robotech, being a much older game, doesn't have any OCC's with this ability. I've seen gamemasters allow it on a case by case basis. When I was running Robotech pbem's, I allowed paired modern weapons as a specific WP Paired combination, the same as with the basic ancient weapons version of the skill. Thus, a character could who trained herself properly could have WP Gallant and WP Paired Gallants. She could pick up two HP Gallants in pistol form and use them but not a Gallant and another energy pistol. It's crude, but it wasn't unbalancing in a game where others characters are shooting long range missiles.

If I were running another game now, here is how I would handle it. First, I would allow access to the human OCC's in _Systems Failure_. If a player wants to build a ganger who slings paired energy pistols, that player may use the Exterminator OCC. No off-hand penalties apply as this is the emphasis of the class. If a player wanted a pre-existing character to learn paired modern weapons, I would listen and consider it. I would probably allow it with off hand penalties if the character meets at least three of these requirements: (1) all applicable WP skills, (2) spend a skill selection on WP Paired (insert type of gun here), (3) possessed the WP Sharpshooter skill, and (4) spend time in game practicing this new skill.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:45 pm

Supreme Being

Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.
Major negatives. The EP-37 is a rifle configuration weapon. So it's about a -4 for using a 2 handed weapon in one hand, a -6 for firing a weapon in each hand at the same target, so -10 cumulative.

Dead Boy wrote:
All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:17 am

Adventurer

Argh, my bad. I always type out EP-37 when I'm really meaning to talk about the EP-40.

What I'm wanting is two Rand-type weapons.

Lord Z: By my count, that's a total of 5 WP skills, right?

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:00 pm

Supreme Being

Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.
Is the EP-40 even offered in left and right handed configurations?

Dead Boy wrote:

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:26 pm

Adventurer

I can't see why not, as it's the same gun on a different forearm plate. If you look at the EP-40, I don't see any problems with it being swapped over to the left forearm plate.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:31 pm

Supreme Being

Well the ammunition supply is side mounted.

Dead Boy wrote:

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:36 pm

Adventurer

Given the picture in Invid Invasion, it looks to me like the weapon tself is attatched to the reload/ammo supply. It's not inconcieveable that the EP-40 can be detatched from that and flipped around to the other side. And it only makes sense. Why limit your left-handed soldiers to using a right-handed weapon?

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:39 pm

Supreme Being

Many combat rifles require special tools to modify for left handed use . . . if that's even possible. Only a few designs have in built ambidexterity.

Dead Boy wrote:

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:07 pm

Explorer

It is a game so I would say yeah sure. I don't think it would cause any undue game balance issues to allow for a Left handed EP-40.

"Cannot run out of time. There is infinite time. You are finite; Zathras is finite; This....is wrong tool.

Susan Ivonnova and Zathras, Babylon 5 'War Without End'

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.