Board index » MDC Worlds » Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®

 


Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.

Want to see any more of this?
Yes. 43%  43%  [ 16 ]
No. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Andy, you're annoying. Find some freeway to play in. 57%  57%  [ 21 ]
Total votes : 37
Author Message
 Post subject: BIG, EXITING NEWS.
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:17 am
  

Explorer

Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:09 am
Posts: 140
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/1112411.stm

By BBC News Online's Mark Ward

The US military is planning to turn soldiers into supermen by fitting them with powered exoskeletons.

The research arm of the US military is spending $50m to develop new technologies that will improve the speed, strength and endurance of soldiers.

The research programme is aiming to give soldiers better protection against enemy fire, the ability to tote bigger guns, run faster, communicate better and help them avoid friendly fire.

The first trials of the technology are expected within the decade.

Power play

This month, the US Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (Darpa) is expected to sign contracts to kick off the project to develop powered exoskeletons for its ground troops.

The contract signings follow a year of meetings and assessments run by Darpa to find the most promising technologies.

So far, Darpa, the main research and development organisation for the US Department of Defense, has not said which ideas it favours, but it has set out the broad goals of the programme which calls for technologies that can help troops:

    • carry heavier packs;
    • march faster over longer distances;
    • lift heavier objects and use larger weapons;
    • leap extraordinary heights and/or distances.


Dr Ephrahim Garcia, co-ordinator of the exoskeleton project, said its demands were "formidable" and much of the initial research was speculative to prove concepts rather than develop finished products.

"The controls, the power requirements, the human interface to the machine are all things that we do not know if we can do yet," he said. "There is a huge challenge here."

He added that the exoskeletons must be something that troops can wear and use without thinking rather than something they have to operate.

Suited up

The powered suits will help soldiers carry and use larger weapons and to take heavier loads into battle. Currently, soldiers carry a pack that is no more than a third of their body weight and usually take far less into combat.

Field trials have shown that troops typically dump anything too bulky or heavy to carry for long distances.

The exoskeletons will also have to be almost silent to operate and use fuel very efficiently. And soldiers must be able to use them for at least 24 hours before needing to refuel.

Early work sponsored by Darpa has used pneumatic muscles or deformable magnets to power artificial limbs or suits that soldiers could wear. Trials of a Springwalker system helped its developers travel at speeds in excess of 24 km/h (15 mph).

Stuck in the mud

The exoskeletons are expected to include a sensor web that expands a soldier's field of vision, passes on information about battlefield conditions, using GPS or thermal cameras, helps to co-ordinate groups of other soldiers and lessens the chance of being hit by friendly fire.

Conducting fabrics could be used to swap data between sensors, and wireless networks could pass information between squads or soldiers.

The suits could also act as body armour or have physiological monitoring systems that let officers know the health of the troops under their command.

Field trials of mock-ups of future systems on soldiers running a cross-country course revealed the limitations of some approaches.

Visors on helmets that could double as screens got in the way of rifle sights or made the headgear bulky and unstable. Other sensors or power packs distributed around the body of a soldier got in the way when combatants were crawling and made it harder for them to hide.

_________________
"CANT" means "WONT". Andy Reddson.

I'm just waiting to see how long it takes me to get banned.

"Never get into an argument with an idiot; They only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mack

Image


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: BIG, EXITING NEWS.
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 4:10 pm
  

Adventurer

Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2003 2:52 pm
Posts: 569
Location: Originally Pittsburgh, Pa, USA, now the SDF-3 lost somewhere in the Eastern Panhandle of W. Virginia
They've already started testing. There was a story 2 nights ago on Techlive (TechTv's news show) about how so far they've built exoskeleton legs and are testing them. The problem so far is you have to strap 100lbs of batteries to your back and if they run out of juice you get to hump all that stuff back to base under your own power. BTW, that 100lbs would be in addition to the 75lbs or so normally carried by your average infantryman.

_________________
Image
Image

(\__/)
(='.'=) "Very nice work, Major Fury!"- Novastar
(")_(")

"A soldier's job isn't to die for his country, it's to make the other poor #$%@^!& die for his."- Gen. George S. Patton, editted for content ;)


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: BIG, EXITING NEWS.
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:33 pm
  

Wanderer

Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2003 2:01 am
Posts: 51
Starship Tropper the book is on its way. Fussion power that's the way to go. LOL. Heck Hammer Slamers hover tanks and combat cars I can see before the power armor tropper.


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: BIG, EXITING NEWS.
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 4:19 pm
  

Explorer

Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:09 am
Posts: 140
Hey, check this out:

Lt Col Andy Reddson wrote:
The research arm of the US military is spending $50m to develop new technologies that will improve the speed, strength and endurance of soldiers.


And I could do it for a few hundred thousand. That's a few MILLION pure profit, and I'm not even an engineer. All off-the-shelf tech. Even delivery platforms.

It would be nice...

_________________
"CANT" means "WONT". Andy Reddson.

I'm just waiting to see how long it takes me to get banned.

"Never get into an argument with an idiot; They only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mack

Image


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: BIG, EXITING NEWS.
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:24 am
  

Major Fury wrote:
They've already started testing. There was a story 2 nights ago on Techlive (TechTv's news show) about how so far they've built exoskeleton legs and are testing them. The problem so far is you have to strap 100lbs of batteries to your back and if they run out of juice you get to hump all that stuff back to base under your own power. BTW, that 100lbs would be in addition to the 75lbs or so normally carried by your average infantryman.


They'll find a way to reduce that weight and up the useful charge through refinements in battery technology. Remember the massive battery packs that used to power portable phones back in the eighties? Now look at today's cellphone batteries.


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: BIG, EXITING NEWS.
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:09 pm
  

D-Bee

Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:35 am
Posts: 12
Location: Saint Augustine, FL
MajorFury wrote: "The problem so far is you have to strap 100lbs of batteries to your back..."

Amen to that, brother. Battery size is also why the US Army has never developed a feasible rail gun artillergy piece. This is why Robotech uses protoculture and, ironically, is more feasible than Macross. I also still see a problem with the acceptible danger levels of testing such as system in the current political climate.

MOrab46019 wrote: "Starship Tropper the book is on its way. Fussion power that's the way to go. LOL. Heck Hammer Slamers hover tanks and combat cars I can see before the power armor tropper."

I agree that larger vehicles will likely come first. We've had hovercraft technology for generations now, and I don't know why it hasn't been applied to tanks. I disagree about the fussion power. As I explained in a post about power armor a couple of weeks ago, the problem is not so much in the creation of cold fussion power. The problem is in the application of that nuclear power. How do you intend to transfer nuclear energy to electrical or mechanical energy? No power armor, however strong, can carry a fifty foot tall steam tower on its back.

Lt Col Andy Reddson wrote: "And I could do it for a few hundred thousand. That's a few MILLION pure profit, and I'm not even an engineer. All off-the-shelf tech. Even delivery platforms."

Do you have any evidence to support this boast or are we just supposed to accept it without question?

Mike Taylor wrote: "They'll find a way to reduce that weight and up the useful charge through refinements in battery technology. Remember the massive battery packs that used to power portable phones back in the eighties? Now look at today's cellphone batteries."

Hmm, could be...


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: BIG, EXITING NEWS.
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:20 pm
  

Explorer

Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:09 am
Posts: 140
LordZaboem wrote:
Do you have any evidence to support this boast or are we just supposed to accept it without question?

Hmm, could be...


Are you calling me a liar? :x :x :x

_________________
"CANT" means "WONT". Andy Reddson.

I'm just waiting to see how long it takes me to get banned.

"Never get into an argument with an idiot; They only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mack

Image


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: BIG, EXITING NEWS.
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:38 pm
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2000 1:01 am
Posts: 4867
Location: High Priest of Reg
Comment: Eat More Chicken
Lt Col Andy Reddson wrote:
LordZaboem wrote:
Do you have any evidence to support this boast or are we just supposed to accept it without question?

Hmm, could be...


Are you calling me a liar? :x :x :x


No, we're clearly telling you to go play in a freeway, as per the poll. ;) J/K

However, I am interested to know how a basic exoskeleton could be created so cheaply, given that the process of building an exoskeleton has to do with more than just assemblage: it's also about prototyping the design, standardizing the prototype(s) for mass production, and debugging the prototype(s). Off the shelf tech is great, but the Army is going to want to mass produce this sucker.

Hmmmmm.... maybe the military should call in the crew of American Chopper? :lol:

_________________
Stand aside, everyone! I take LARGE STEPS!!!
Image
Come join the Swankytown Wars! Chat active between 8PM and 12AM, EST


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: BIG, EXITING NEWS.
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:05 am
  

Explorer

Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:09 am
Posts: 140
Zerebus wrote:
No, we're clearly telling you to go play in a freeway, as per the poll. ;) J/K


Well that's what I voted...

Zerebus wrote:
...Army is going to want to mass produce this sucker.


I let you in on a little national-security secret, totally tipy top secret- They've already been mass produced. And seen in the movie Aliens. (That's TOTALLY top secret, now, don't TELL anyone.) Wrap it in titanium and Kevlar plating, add the gun from Predator (used to be used on Army attack helicoptors), and ferry it in in a jeep, and you got it out the door, prototyped and debugged, under a hundred grand. That leaves, let's see... Roughly 90 times as much PROFIT.

If you're not willing to skimp on production, you COULD reduce the weight by dumping anything not needed for combat (like the load-lifter components), install a better power pack (maybe mini jets, like those used in R/C aircraft?), etc.

Still leaves you at LEAST half in profit. $25 million dollars... Can't be bad...

_________________
"CANT" means "WONT". Andy Reddson.

I'm just waiting to see how long it takes me to get banned.

"Never get into an argument with an idiot; They only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mack

Image


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: BIG, EXITING NEWS.
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:10 am
  

Wanderer

Joined: Fri May 09, 2003 1:43 pm
Posts: 98
Location: Bay Area California
The army infantryman moves based solely on the capacit of his stomach. I hope the batteries include MRE dispensers...

Snippersly

_________________
www.nexusnine.net Cannon the cannon!

If reality is on TV, am I imagining the rest of this S*&%?

Silent Souls Leave Laser Holes- CS TAG Motto

I Waste them with my crossbow. Hoody-Hoo!- KODT


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: BIG, EXITING NEWS.
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:18 am
  

Explorer

Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:09 am
Posts: 140
Hey, MRE's aren't all that bad. I've had them before. (The whole stationed shared a meal of, like, 4 or 5 of them. Senior made us, matter of fact. Said she didn't want us raiding them... Does that sound weird to you? :lol: )

_________________
"CANT" means "WONT". Andy Reddson.

I'm just waiting to see how long it takes me to get banned.

"Never get into an argument with an idiot; They only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mack

Image


          Top  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: BIG, EXITING NEWS.
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:36 pm
  

User avatar
OLD ONE

Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2000 2:01 am
Posts: 7695
Location: Indianapolis
Comment: PROUDLY Not a member of the "Cabal of 24"
Play nice!

A post from this thread has been removed for not playing nice. The entire thread will be removed next. Attack the subject, not the person.


8)

_________________
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
Palladium Books 2015 Robotech RPG Tactics Tournament Rules


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: BIG, EXITING NEWS.
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:39 pm
  

Wanderer

Joined: Fri May 09, 2003 1:43 pm
Posts: 98
Location: Bay Area California
Andy & I go way back...he's just making light of MREs...you know Meals Rejected by Ethiopians...

And theya re not THAT bad, but then you haven't lived on them for weeks at a time have you. My point was that soldiers need food, no food, no movement, equals losing of a war.

Snipper

_________________
www.nexusnine.net Cannon the cannon!

If reality is on TV, am I imagining the rest of this S*&%?

Silent Souls Leave Laser Holes- CS TAG Motto

I Waste them with my crossbow. Hoody-Hoo!- KODT


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: BIG, EXITING NEWS.
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:31 pm
  

Yeah, they will probably be restricted in some way or another by their supply lines. I could see them acting in support of standard mechanized infantry, or as defensive units, however.


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: BIG, EXITING NEWS.
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:17 am
  

Explorer

Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:09 am
Posts: 140
Snippersly wrote:
And theya re not THAT bad, but then you haven't lived on them for weeks at a time have you. My point was that soldiers need food, no food, no movement, equals losing of a war.


Nope. Just the one meal. Strange, she MADE us raid a food stuff that everyone ELSE is afariad of- And it wasn't THAT bad. Still, ANYTHING gets just plain ugly after a few MONTHS of the same old thing, no matter HOW good it is. (Yes, even fileted minion gets grross if you eat if often enough.) And yes, if your troops starve to death, you probably will lose the war. Ussually happens like that, troops are starving, so they die.

So, back on topic... How man of you think you can build at least a reasonable prototype for under, say, a million dollars? I'll wager every single person who's willing to TRY can.

_________________
"CANT" means "WONT". Andy Reddson.

I'm just waiting to see how long it takes me to get banned.

"Never get into an argument with an idiot; They only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mack

Image


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: BIG, EXITING NEWS.
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:53 pm
  

Andy's powerloader concept is interesting, but there are the gaping holes of reality present in it.

What kind of fuel does it run on?

Kevlar and titanium plating good, but that much weight now completly negates its effectiveness in any kind of wet terrain (see jungles, rainforests, beaches, tundras) and rocky terrain as well. Though I'm sure these walking tanks would be quite the terror on open fields or just standing on top of a hill.

Speed....is this thing just supposed to move at 1/2 mile per hour? While we're on the turtle factor, what happens when this thing falls over?

If a regular flak jacket costs 300 dollars and won't stop anything (Think strapping a bean bag to your chest for those of you who never wore one), a regular mini-gun used on the UH-60 Blackhawk costs about 10-20 grand. (Don't believe me? M16A2 rifles are 1500 each for the US military, MP5's can run you 5k) Add in the motors required that have enough torque to move this armored behemoth as well as gyros that are mil-spec'd to handle frontline combat and I'm doubting your 100k price tag.

Ferry it in a jeep? Cool idea....how does it get into the jeep? Current exo-skeleton designs aren't exactly reknowned for their flexibility. Once it's in the jeep....how does it get out? Fall?

I'm curious as to how this metal monster would work out, but I'd hate to meet it in an FPS.


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: BIG, EXITING NEWS.
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:05 am
  

Explorer

Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:09 am
Posts: 140
Shin Kenshiro wrote:
What kind of fuel does it run on?


Perhaps JP-5. That's what I personally would prefer. JP-5 is, basically, high-grade Deisel fuel. It is, however, more flamable (though how much more flamable I don't know).

Shin Kenshiro wrote:
Kevlar and titanium plating good, but that much weight now completly negates its effectiveness in any kind of wet terrain (see jungles, rainforests, beaches, tundras) and rocky terrain as well. Though I'm sure these walking tanks would be quite the terror on open fields or just standing on top of a hill.


Not nessearily- It all depends on the foot-pounds of the unit's footprint. This could, however, be an issue.

Shin Kenshiro wrote:
Speed... Is this thing just supposed to move at 1/2 mile per hour? While we're on the turtle factor, what happens when this thing falls over?


Well- YES. It's meant to support infantry in critical support, not as a force unto itself.

Remember, this will NOT be the final evolution of the technology, any more than the Father tank was the final evolution of THAT technology. Indeed, all that did was to identify a lacking in WWI era German technology. The WWII German tanks take as little from the Father as- Well, as a jet fighter takes from the Wright Flyer. It's a starting point, not a finish line.

And when it falls over- GET UP. MOVE. FASTER. (Ahzim)

Shin Kenshiro wrote:
If a regular flak jacket costs 300 dollars and won't stop anything (Think strapping a bean bag to your chest for those of you who never wore one), a regular mini-gun used on the UH-60 Blackhawk costs about 10-20 grand. (Don't believe me? M16A2 rifles are 1500 each for the US military, MP5's can run you 5k) Add in the motors required that have enough torque to move this armored behemoth as well as gyros that are mil-spec'd to handle frontline combat and I'm doubting your 100k price tag.


"CANT measn WONT." (I don't get to escape my onw line, sadly enough.) Besides, we're talking all off the self technology, supported by pre-developed techniques. Indeed, originally, I'd envisioned a kevlar-only protective barrier, until recently when I saw a documnetry on Disover Channell about some guy doing work with bears. Seems he wants to climb inot the den of a HIBERNATING bear, draw some blood, AND expects to get out alive.

No, I'm serious. He believes he can distill the blood, and obtain the enzeme which allows the bear to hibernate through winter. NASA would have a GREAT deal of intrest in such a thing.

And what is his newest generation of suit, the Ursulus Mark 5, made of? Titanium.

And how di he build it? Part time, using money from his real job. (Admittedly, I do not know what that is.)

Shin Kenshiro wrote:
Ferry it in a jeep? Cool idea... How does it get into the jeep? Current exo-skeleton designs aren't exactly reknowned for their flexibility. Once it's in the jeep....how does it get out? Fall?


Loading ramps. Don't ask dumb questions. :x

Shin Kenshiro wrote:
I'm curious as to how this metal monster would work out, but I'd hate to meet it in an FPS.


Actually, singularly they'd probably be no threat. It's COLLECTIVELY they present the danger.

Envision this senario-

Hue City, 1969. Communist gurreillas have taken part of the city, concetrating their hold from an old, pre-colonial fortress once used by the king of Nam Viet (as it was then known). Us Marines trying to force out the gurrilas come up against a sniper, forcing them to halt.

Calling for fire support, what arrives is- 2 power-armored troopers, each packing enough firepower in their forearms to level a building. They identify the building the sniper is hiding in.

And level it.

_________________
"CANT" means "WONT". Andy Reddson.

I'm just waiting to see how long it takes me to get banned.

"Never get into an argument with an idiot; They only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mack

Image


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: BIG, EXITING NEWS.
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:46 am
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2000 1:01 am
Posts: 4867
Location: High Priest of Reg
Comment: Eat More Chicken
I'm sorry, but these things are still much too slow and prone to falling over to be effective. Research IS being done on these things, of course, but currently a powered suit is out classed by a mini-car turned armored support vehicle, which is going to be much more reliable for urban fighting.

_________________
Stand aside, everyone! I take LARGE STEPS!!!
Image
Come join the Swankytown Wars! Chat active between 8PM and 12AM, EST


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: BIG, EXITING NEWS.
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:10 pm
  

User avatar
Adventurer

Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2003 2:01 am
Posts: 524
Location: USA
Mike Taylor wrote:
They'll find a way to reduce that weight and up the useful charge through refinements in battery technology. Remember the massive battery packs that used to power portable phones back in the eighties? Now look at today's cellphone batteries.


Battery technology only improves about 5% per year. Cell phones have reduced battery size by using less power, not technical improvements of the batteries.


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: BIG, EXITING NEWS.
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:20 pm
  

User avatar
Adventurer

Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2003 2:01 am
Posts: 524
Location: USA
What about making this the heavy weapons expert to assist with regular and heavy infantry? 2-4 per platoon (1 per squad or every other squad), armed with a SAW or better weapon with a whole lot of ammo, and a light automatic grenade launcher?

How about anti-riot work? Thrown stones shouldn't hurt it (much) and it could carry much heavier non-lethal devices. Not to mention that CS gas and such shouldn't affect it. Add in the great benefit to politics (much less civilian damage) and a morale breaker to the rioters (invulnerable and probably won't kill them, so nothing to complain or get fired up about) and you have a winner.


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: BIG, EXITING NEWS.
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:02 pm
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2000 1:01 am
Posts: 4867
Location: High Priest of Reg
Comment: Eat More Chicken
thomp901 wrote:
How about anti-riot work? Thrown stones shouldn't hurt it (much) and it could carry much heavier non-lethal devices. Not to mention that CS gas and such shouldn't affect it. Add in the great benefit to politics (much less civilian damage) and a morale breaker to the rioters (invulnerable and probably won't kill them, so nothing to complain or get fired up about) and you have a winner.


Last I checked, there were already riot control vehicles for this sort of thing, both in use and under development. A humanoid shaped vehicle just adds an unnecessary level of complication to what should be a simple riot-control weapons platform.

_________________
Stand aside, everyone! I take LARGE STEPS!!!
Image
Come join the Swankytown Wars! Chat active between 8PM and 12AM, EST


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: BIG, EXITING NEWS.
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:10 pm
  

Explorer

Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:09 am
Posts: 140
Zerebus wrote:
I'm sorry, but these things are still much too slow and prone to falling over to be effective.


Dumb question, I "just a stoopid 'Tradi" and all...

If they're THAT prone to falling over, why are they used to lift thousands of pounds, even tons, of fragile merchandise?

thomp901 wrote:
What about making this the heavy weapons expert to assist with regular and heavy infantry? 2-4 per platoon (1 per squad or every other squad), armed with a SAW or better weapon with a whole lot of ammo, and a light automatic grenade launcher?


While this does have some merit, these versions would be better used en masse, but in support of regular infantry. Also, I prefer the gatlin because it puts more lead on target. But that grenade launcher idea, hold onto that. 8)

thomp901 wrote:
How about anti-riot work? Thrown stones shouldn't hurt it (much) and it could carry much heavier non-lethal devices. Not to mention that CS gas and such shouldn't affect it. Add in the great benefit to politics (much less civilian damage) and a morale breaker to the rioters (invulnerable and probably won't kill them, so nothing to complain or get fired up about) and you have a winner.


CS/CN and OC gass will not effect the unit, only the pilot. If it's enviromentally sealed, the pilot will be safe from the effects as well.

But as to the "morale breaking" of rioters- Uh, NO. Whatever it was that got them rioting in the first place, that will still be there. And having "lost" the battle will keep them angry. (Andy, this is political. STOP THAT.)

_________________
"CANT" means "WONT". Andy Reddson.

I'm just waiting to see how long it takes me to get banned.

"Never get into an argument with an idiot; They only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mack

Image


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: BIG, EXITING NEWS.
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:17 pm
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2000 1:01 am
Posts: 4867
Location: High Priest of Reg
Comment: Eat More Chicken
Lt Col Andy Reddson wrote:
Zerebus wrote:
I'm sorry, but these things are still much too slow and prone to falling over to be effective.


Dumb question, I "just a stoopid 'Tradi" and all...

If they're THAT prone to falling over, why are they used to lift thousands of pounds, even tons, of fragile merchandise?



1. I'm not one of the ones who derided you for that spelling.
2. What the frell do you think I'm talking about? I was referring to humanoid robots/powered exoskeletons. If these things were being used in mass market, I think I'd know, and outside of the movie, Aliens, those loaders aren't being used for squat.

_________________
Stand aside, everyone! I take LARGE STEPS!!!
Image
Come join the Swankytown Wars! Chat active between 8PM and 12AM, EST


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: BIG, EXITING NEWS.
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:25 pm
  

Lt Col Andy Reddson wrote:
Shin Kenshiro wrote:
Ferry it in a jeep? Cool idea... How does it get into the jeep? Current exo-skeleton designs aren't exactly reknowned for their flexibility. Once it's in the jeep....how does it get out? Fall?


Loading ramps. Don't ask dumb questions. :x

Shin Kenshiro wrote:
I'm curious as to how this metal monster would work out, but I'd hate to meet it in an FPS.


Actually, singularly they'd probably be no threat. It's COLLECTIVELY they present the danger.
And level it.


I'm not going to go after you for your "dumb questions" remark, because it was a valid question since no "jeep" (HMMV, Land Rover, etc) has been modified to have a loading ramp. Not to mention if the ramp was man deployable, the driver and crew of the jeep would have to endanger themselves getting out and setting the ramp up so they could waddle on down. "No, they'd park the jeep away from the firefight and then the armors would walk there!", great...but snipers will move once the quarry does, because now his hiding spot has been compromised. So when these behemoths hit the scene, the infantry will probably take fire from somewhere else. You have to be quick to do counter-sniper work.

I see these things doing fine a in Hue City environment, just not for counter-anything. They'd be great in an urban environment to just walk down the sidewalk nailing anyone who pokes their head out. As for not being a threat singularly, read up on some Medal of Honor awardees. The lone soldiers/Marines/seamen/airmen who remained behind with only a machine gun and saved the lives of their comrades by holding a single position with a machine gun so they could either escape or reform their lines and counter-attack. A trooper like you envision would be excellent on sentry detail....and much more likely to make it home.


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: BIG, EXITING NEWS.
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:19 am
  

Explorer

Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:09 am
Posts: 140
Zerebus wrote:
1. I'm not one of the ones who derided you for that spelling.


Alright. Fair enough.

Zerebus wrote:
2. What the frell do you think I'm talking about? I was referring to humanoid robots/powered exoskeletons. If these things were being used in mass market, I think I'd know, and outside of the movie, Aliens, those loaders aren't being used for squat.


Because they cost a LOT more than forklifts.

Shin Kenshiro wrote:
I'm not going to go after you for your "dumb questions"...


Then don't. Just because a thing "hasn't" been done before doesn't mean it "can't"; "CANT MEANS WONT".

It CAN be done; But nody's ever TRIED before because nobody's even NEEDED to before.

Shin Kenshiro wrote:
I see these things doing fine a in Hue City environment, just not for counter-anything. They'd be great in an urban environment to just walk down the sidewalk nailing anyone who pokes their head out. As for not being a threat singularly, read up on some Medal of Honor awardees. The lone soldiers/Marines/seamen/airmen who remained behind with only a machine gun and saved the lives of their comrades by holding a single position with a machine gun so they could either escape or reform their lines and counter-attack. A trooper like you envision would be excellent on sentry detail....and much more likely to make it home.


"And then level it." I remember saying that... Find the building the sniper is hiding inside of, and then leveling it. As in, dead. As in, the bricks turned to dust. As in smashing everything.

But you've an excellent point, they'd also be good for sentry detail.

Personal moment; You missed something. There's a Coastie Medal of Honor receipient; SM1 Douglas Monroe. (That was off topic, and I appologize, but I couldn't help myself.)

OK, WE'RE GETTING OFF TOPIC. I say it can be done with off the shelf technology, you say it cann't, fine done. Over. So, back ON topic- NOBODY has said it cann't be done FOR $50 MILLION DOLLARS. I mean MY GOD!!! $50 million dollars ANY ONE OF US could do it.

So, uh- Like DO IT, ok? And then someday I'll come back and expliot your fame and fortune. 8) :lol:

_________________
"CANT" means "WONT". Andy Reddson.

I'm just waiting to see how long it takes me to get banned.

"Never get into an argument with an idiot; They only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mack

Image


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: BIG, EXITING NEWS.
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:22 am
  

Explorer

Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:09 am
Posts: 140
I'd delete this post if I could. I dunno what happened, but it double posted. Sorry.

Andy

_________________
"CANT" means "WONT". Andy Reddson.

I'm just waiting to see how long it takes me to get banned.

"Never get into an argument with an idiot; They only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mack

Image


Last edited by Lt Col Andy Reddson on Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: BIG, EXITING NEWS.
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:22 am
  

weird....anyone else seeing their posts being doubled or tripled? My comp was showing my recent post on the first page and on the second. Just a quick check


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: BIG, EXITING NEWS.
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:42 am
  

D-Bee

Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:45 am
Posts: 5
Location: 6th plane of Cut-n-Shoot,Tx
who cares...WHERE ARE MY TRANSFORMABLE FIGHTERS?!?!?!?

I want my veritech :x

_________________
majã lé huntas - unknown ancient quote

Orkses is never defeated in battle. If we win, we win, if we die then we'z dead so it don't count. An' if we runs away it still don't count, 'cuz we can come back tomorrer for annuver go, see? - anon


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: BIG, EXITING NEWS.
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:53 am
  

Explorer

Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:09 am
Posts: 140
Shin Kenshiro wrote:
Weird... Anyone else seeing their posts being doubled or tripled? My comp was showing my recent post on the first page and on the second. Just a quick check


Appearantly mine was. Sorry. :oops:

suncrush3r wrote:
Who cares... WHERE ARE MY TRANSFORMABLE FIGHTERS?!?!?!?

I want my veritech :x


Heh... That's understandable.

Ok... Let's see if this works NOW at least...

_________________
"CANT" means "WONT". Andy Reddson.

I'm just waiting to see how long it takes me to get banned.

"Never get into an argument with an idiot; They only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mack

Image


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: BIG, EXITING NEWS.
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:04 am
  

Well, Andy wanted some ideas for off the shelf technology in order to create some actually decent power armor, so without massive searching on the internet, I'll just use what I know for a basic skeleton.

Frame: 8-9 feet tall (this will make the basic height 10-12 feet tall with armor) made out of aluminum alloy in a honeycomb manufacture (like aircraft wings) to ensure it's very strong structurally and still relatively light. Frame should look something along the lines of: a set of shoulders; a 2 piece spinal column with a rotary joint placed in between both pieces to allow the pilot to lean back up to 20 degress; legs placed slightly behind the spine as opposed to directly under it so that they can be placed behind the legs of the soldier crewing said armor; and feet should be designed as a circular plate about 1 - 1 1/2 feet wide to ensure a good weight distribution so the armor won't sink or get stuck in light mud easily

Joints: Hydraulic pistons for shoulders and elbows backed up by A/C powered servo motors (since A/C current provides more raw power than D/C) need to be rated somewhere along the lines of 50-100 lbs for shoulders and arms to allow for more controlled aim of any installed weaponry; 200+ lbs for the knees and hip for increased speed and to ensure it doesn't walk like a zombie as it most likely would with hydraulic legs (sure the bastard could tow an arty piece, but it would get there at the end of any war)

Powerplant: I'm thinking something along the lines of a diesel powered A/C generator rated at around 208 volts, but with an amp rating of at least 10-20 amps. For those not familiar with how electricity works, it's the amps that provide the raw strength (a human can survive 500-1000 volt shocks, but 0.01 amp is lethal). If the generator is mounted so it's exhaust is upward, it'll be easier to spot, but if you mount the exhaust low, you'll give all surrounding troops alot of carbon monoxide.

This is my initial idea of a realistic frame, everyone's welcome to add what they think would work in either the internal or external machinery. Have at it people. 8)


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: BIG, EXITING NEWS.
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:01 am
  

Explorer

Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:09 am
Posts: 140
Shin Kenshiro wrote:
Powerplant: I'm thinking something along the lines of a diesel powered A/C generator rated at around 208 volts, but with an amp rating of at least 10-20 amps. For those not familiar with how electricity works, it's the amps that provide the raw strength (a human can survive 500-1000 volt shocks, but 0.01 amp is lethal). If the generator is mounted so it's exhaust is upward, it'll be easier to spot, but if you mount the exhaust low, you'll give all surrounding troops alot of carbon monoxide.


I want you to consider something here...

In smaller, UAV's (mostly commercial ones) here CAN be installed a jet turbine type engine. The heated air could then be forced out, which, combined with another idea (I'll be hitting on later) could be used to make it MUCH faster...

_________________
"CANT" means "WONT". Andy Reddson.

I'm just waiting to see how long it takes me to get banned.

"Never get into an argument with an idiot; They only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mack

Image


          Top  
 
 Post subject: Re: BIG, EXITING NEWS.
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:17 pm
  

User avatar
Dungeon Crawler

Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:06 am
Posts: 397
Most of the problems seem to be that the military is looking for a smaller vehicle. Closer to the Rift's type Exoskeletons than fully powered armor. A full walking weapons platform could be built with modern tech for about 3 million dollars, and be a heck of a lot easier to deal with.twelve feet is fine, you can put in built in weapons and stuff, but DARPA wants something a bit more like the "Superspy" (Is that the right one? from Rifts Japan?)

I like the fullsized one better, cause the electronics is easier, and you have a little room for the mechanical doohickeys, like mounts for a machinegun.

Regardless of what I like, though, the military wants infantry, and the ones you guys are talking about are more cavalry. (I still say build it though - COOL!!!!)


          Top  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:59 pm
  

I remember A web site I saw a long time ago that the discovery channel had it was all about exoskeletons it seems that back during WWII somebody in the mechanics division got this great Idea that he could biuld a mechanized suit for his men to protect them and so that they could carry an entire load of amunition for there planes it was powered by a deasiel engine and had wings that were acualy hydrolic lifts for carrying heavy loads it also had ceramic plating so small arms (any thing under a 37 caliber bullet some of the details are a bit fuzzy) wouldent hurt the people inside it also had an independent oxogyn supply to deal with the nerv gas the only problem was balance was hard to maintain in side of the thing the project was canceled by the goverment makes you wonder though so this is actualy the second time the military is atempting this what I remember isnt exact and I know that becuase I swear the issue with falling over was becuase when you are carrying an entire load of missle's for a plane and fall over that tends to be dangerius but I do beleave that missles werent invented till after WWII so I might be getting the armerments wrong or time period not sure it was a while back.


          Top  
 
 
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group