Help on Raidar X Destroid Attack rof

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Akuma
Newb

Help on Raidar X Destroid Attack rof

Unread post by Akuma »

Ok, I admit, I am a bit new to Palladium, and we are playing original version of Robotech with the books bought back in the late 80's.

The write-up for the attacks for the Raidar X Destroid rate of fire has me stumped, and honestly, it has the GM grasping at straws as well as he has only run VT campaigns.

"Rate of Fire: 8 short, 4 heavy, or 4 maximum bursts blasts per melee, per pair of laser arms (total bursts per melee: 16 short or 8 heavy or 8 maximum bursts). This is the only mecha that has more energy/weapon attacks than its hand to hand capabilities."

I understand that it has two arms, and each arm has 2 barrels, but exactly how many dice should be I be rolling here? Especially since it has more attacks than it is capable of and is written that way. Is it possible to make a full 8 short bursts, each with a die roll even though I only have 5 attacks as a pilot?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: Help on Raidar X Destroid Attack rof

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Akuma wrote:Ok, I admit, I am a bit new to Palladium, and we are playing original version of Robotech with the books bought back in the late 80's.

Okay, you are using 1E RT RPG that is good to know.

Akuma wrote:I understand that it has two arms, and each arm has 2 barrels, but exactly how many dice should be I be rolling here? Especially since it has more attacks than it is capable of and is written that way. Is it possible to make a full 8 short bursts, each with a die roll even though I only have 5 attacks as a pilot?

Just limit yourself to the number of attacks you have (as you level up you can gain more, at 15th Level pilot would have a total of 10 attacks= 4 MC + 5 HTH +1 Boxing.). Even though the mecha could attack 8 times per arm, your character would still be limited by their Mecha Combat Plus Hand to Hand attacks (5 in this case).

Most weapons in 1E RT RPG that use Short/Long/Full melee bursts can only fire 4 short, 2 long or 1 full.

Also keep in mind that:
-A single operator can fire both arms at the same target as one attack requring just one strike roll, roll damage for each arm with damage based on the burst size (so x2 short bursts would be 4d10 with the lasers)
-Two Operators can fire each arm at a separate target, each requiring a separate strike roll and damage roll (2d10 for a short burst with lasers for ex.).

IF your GM is looking a simple house rule fix: pick a burst size for damage purposes and just allow the destroid to fire it equal to its combined HTH attacks (PB has essentially abandoned variable burst sizes for the most part for CHTH rate with a fixed burst size). You really won't change much going this route, and you'll actually stream line things.
ESalter
Adventurer

Unread post by ESalter »

Akuma wrote:Is it possible to make a full 8 short bursts, each with a die roll even though I only have 5 attacks as a pilot?

Yes.
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

one thing to consider is that the Raider X like all the other destroids has an advanced combat computer, and I am going to suggest that unlike all the other mecha the raider X has the pilot doing more target designation, and shot intensity selection than most units. due to its primary purpose as a mobile AA/point defense battery.

in most units the pilot (or gunner) picks a target and makes the shot.

in the Raider X there is support for the argument that the pilot/gunner mostly selects target priorities and the actually handles the details of targeting and firing.
Akuma
Newb

Unread post by Akuma »

Thanks for the advice!

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”