Did Leonard intend to die defending the Earth or.....

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Chris0013
Hero

Did Leonard intend to die defending the Earth or.....

Unread post by Chris0013 »

did he have an exit strategy? An SDF stashed for a quick getaway to a class M planet or moon colonized by loyal sycophants and protected by a fleet that was kept off book from the UEG.
I know it is a little extreme to advocate the death penalty for stupidity...but can't we just remove all the warning labels and let nature take it's course???
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: Did Leonard intend to die defending the Earth or.....

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

No I do not think Leonard had an exit strategy.
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

Chris0013 wrote:did he have an exit strategy? An SDF stashed for a quick getaway to a class M planet or moon colonized by loyal sycophants and protected by a fleet that was kept off book from the UEG.

Nah, I doubt he intended to die defending Earth and I doubt he had any kind of exit strategy... his leadership style was blunt, authoritarian, and seemingly untroubled by little concerns like a realistic strategic outlook most of the time. He was so ill-prepared to handle even the possibility that he might lose that he sent several of his subordinates on suicide missions for suggesting there might be a diplomatic solution.

I doubt it ever occurred to him that he might die until his headquarters was exploding around him.

(The Prelude comic suggests some of his more idiotic command decisions were motivated by him being rabidly xenophobic. Ironically, it still isn't enough to make the Robotech version of the character as bad a commander as his Southern Cross equivalent, Claude Leon, who was less Leonard's "Zap Brannigan but serious" and more "The 1st Duke of Wellington as portrayed by Stephen Fry".)
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

Chris0013 wrote:did he have an exit strategy? An SDF stashed for a quick getaway to a class M planet or moon colonized by loyal sycophants and protected by a fleet that was kept off book from the UEG.

Okay, why would Leonard in the Tv series do that? He seems to fit the Recon alignment:

OPPORTUNIST-RIGHTEOUS
In the name of 'the cause', all things are justified. Killing or torturing the enemy is alright if it advances the cause. Righteous characters are willing to die at the drop of a hat. Charging into certain death or holding a position after it becomes hopeless is second nature. These characters also see nothing wrong in the deaths of innocents so long as the cause is advanced. Accidents happen but there is no reason to get upset about them. After all, some must suffer for the betterment of all.
Goals: Advancement of 'The Cause' is more important than anyone's life, including their own.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”