HM-6 Heavy Missile Launcher typo

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Sparticus
Wanderer

HM-6 Heavy Missile Launcher typo

Unread post by Sparticus »

I have recently found what I believe is a typo in regards to the firing rate of the HM-6 Heavy Missile Launcher. Under the Garfish it states that the missiles have a firing rate of up to 6 missiles at a time. Now this is no issue as the launcher holds six missiles each and the ship has six tubes so a fire rate of between one and six missiles is expected.

However, under the other entries like the Ikazuchi and Liberator which have 8 and 30 HM-6 Heavy Missile Launchers respectively the firing rate is the same. This seems to be a mistake as the firing rate should be between one and eight for the Ikazuchi and one and thirty for the Liberator as that’s how many launchers they possess and the HM-6 is a single tube launcher system with a magazine of six missiles per launcher, so it can only fire missiles one at a time from each launcher and can do these six times before needed to be reloaded.

I belive that this is they typo and while the Garfish HM-6 have the correct rate of Fire the Ikazuchi and Liberator do not.

Am I seeing this right or is there something I missed and this is not a type?
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: HM-6 Heavy Missile Launcher typo

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Why do you assume that the Ikazuchi and Liberator can't have 8 or 30 sets of HM-6 Missile Launchers and each is individually targeted?
Sparticus
Wanderer

ShadowLogan wrote:Why do you assume that the Ikazuchi and Liberator can't have 8 or 30 sets of HM-6 Missile Launchers and each is individually targeted?

Because under the entry it lists the number of launchers in parenthesis, (8) for the Ikazuchi and (30) for the Liberator It also lists the ammo capacity total for all the launchers and it 6x8 or 6x30 respectively giving the totals which indicate that the numbers are talking about not sets but 8 or 30 individual launchers.

Also under the Rate of Fire it lists that the launchers have a rate of fire of between one to six missiles at a time. Now since the only visual image we get of the HM-6 are from the Garfish and they are clearly single tube launchers much like the torpedo tubes on a submarine. This leads me to belie that while an HM-6 can hold six missiles in a magazine it can only fire them one at a time and can do these six times before expending the ammunition in it magazine at which point it will need to be reloaded.

If the HM-6 launchers were each an individually six tube launcher and the Ikazuchi and the Liberator had 8 to 30 of those respectively then the entry would make more sense. At that point the rat of fire of one to six would be stating that each individual launcher is capable of firing between one and six missiles at a time. However, that is not the case and each HM-6 is a single tube launcher with a magazine of six missiles each. In that regard the volley under the rate of fire in the Ikazuchi and for the Liberator should reflect how many launchers they possess that being a rate of fire between one and eight for the Ikazuchi and between one and thirty for the Liberator.

That’s at least how I read it with the information the entries give me to work with.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

My suggestion would be to assume that the tube numbers are right, and just to assume that 6 missiles are all the the fire control can send after a single target in one volley. So an ikazuchi could fire two volleys at a time, separately of any combination up to 8 missiles. So say, six in one volley or 2 in another. Or two of four missiles each.
The liberator could do five full six missile volleys.

The volleys could be aimed at the same target, they'd just make separate strike rolls and be separate for the purposes of dodging, antimissile fire, etc.

It does look like typical cut and paste error though.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Sparticus
Wanderer

glitterboy2098 wrote:My suggestion would be to assume that the tube numbers are right, and just to assume that 6 missiles are all the the fire control can send after a single target in one volley. So an ikazuchi could fire two volleys at a time, separately of any combination up to 8 missiles. So say, six in one volley or 2 in another. Or two of four missiles each.
The liberator could do five full six missile volleys.

The volleys could be aimed at the same target, they'd just make separate strike rolls and be separate for the purposes of dodging, antimissile fire, etc.

It does look like typical cut and paste error though.

A vary good point my friend and one I had not considered. Don't know why I didn't think of it. Doing it this way certainly makes it simpler and far less confusing without having to change a lot of wording in a house rules note.

Thanks for the impute and the idea.
GrimmReaper
D-Bee

Unread post by GrimmReaper »

What book are the stats for the garfish and Ikazuchi in?
GrimmReaper
D-Bee

Could anyone get me a copy of those stats so I can rename them in some of the books I have.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Sparticus wrote:I have recently found what I believe is a typo in regards to the firing rate of the HM-6 Heavy Missile Launcher. Under the Garfish it states that the missiles have a firing rate of up to 6 missiles at a time. Now this is no issue as the launcher holds six missiles each and the ship has six tubes so a fire rate of between one and six missiles is expected.

…snip...

Am I seeing this right or is there something I missed and this is not a type?

Each launcher has it's own magazine that holds 6 missiles.
The launchers can, in total, launch one missile or in the stated volleys. As in if it is a volley launch of 4, then four of the launchers would launch the missile they have ready.

PB is known for copying and paisting. So it is not out of the realm of the expected that there is an editing error. Gm's would probibly fix this by "writing-in" that the carrier's heavy missiles can be launched in volleys of 8 also.

Agreres with the shinyone's assessment.

The Carrier and the Garfish are in the RT2SC Mainbook Hardcover ed.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
GrimmReaper
D-Bee

How do they compare to 1st Ed. in the sentinels RPG? Im strapped for cash to get the hardcover when i have the softcover edition in the small book. Would love to be able to rename weapons instead of 16 zentraedi style laser turrets actually give them a number. and be able to know if the ships have more mdc than 1st edition.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”