In anime not in book?

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

In anime not in book?

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Do they cover in the books what Scott and iirc Rand do early in the series where they stand alphas back to back and "link" Iirc targeting data?
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: In anime not in book?

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Rook and Rand actually.

and you actually can replicate it, you just need to step outside of the RT RPG currently to get the rules.

in the phase world sourcebook there are rules for random missile assaults.. basically firing your whole complement of missiles, and having them randomly home in on their own. its about the only way to shoot multiple targets with a single action volley.

it basically boils down to rolling a dice for each possible target to determine how many missiles go after it, going through until either all the missiles are accounted for or you run out of targets. then resolve all the volleys at each target as normal. (you roll to see how many go to each target before you roll the to-strikes and the like) an alpha could easily end up being able to shoot at 10+ targets this way.

the linking data, sadly, is going to be a fluff effect since scott's alpha (and its command computer) was not involved.* if a player wanted to try that in a game i run, i'd just assume that they used the mecha's datalink ability to target different parts of the sky and thus avoid hitting the same targets.

*at least, it is not mentioned or shown to be involved. i'll have to rewatch the episode, but if his alpha is active during it, we can probably assume that the command computer (and its resulting bonuses) would have been active and benefiting Rook and Rand's mecha.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Pouncer
Explorer

Unread post by Pouncer »

As Glitterboy noted basically the same rules covered for capital ships firing a random missile barrage, which is supposedly allowed only to the capital ships. However we see Scott do it in one episode and Rook and Rand in another so I've allowed Invid era mecha to do so as a house rule all along.

-POUNCER
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Those rules were originally in 1st edition Robotech
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Jefffar wrote:Those rules were originally in 1st edition Robotech

Which can also be found in 2E in the Genesis Pit SB (pg97).
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

I still have all the 1e books. Which one and what page.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Zer0 Kay wrote:

I think it's in a few places, but first one I found was Page 26 of Robotech Book 3: Zentraedi.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Jefffar wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

I think it's in a few places, but first one I found was Page 26 of Robotech Book 3: Zentraedi.

Cool, though that is strange since prior to alphas the ability wasn't evident. But I guess we're talking about a swarm lock-on and not the back to back command link. Wonder why that was only used once and wonder if it uses the same connections as a beta and alpha in legios. If a command system can do it from remote then there is no point of going back to back to fire missiles.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

actually the datalinks showed up a bunch. one of the reason they are no0w in the RPG. you had scott using datalinks to co-ordinate fire on the mountain hive, for example.

the links are via radio so the back to back had nothing to do with the datalinks.

the point of the back to back position was to ensure that you got a 360 degree volley from the two of them, with less chance of them wasting shots at the same target or accidentally shooting each other.

and we do see the random volley when Scott first got the alpha from Lunk. we don't see them often though, probably because the show is supposed to be in a setting where supplies like fuel and munition is tricky to get.. and they already were pushing it by not always bringing it up and having the characters use smaller volleys all the time.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

glitterboy2098 wrote:actually the datalinks showed up a bunch. one of the reason they are no0w in the RPG. you had scott using datalinks to co-ordinate fire on the mountain hive, for example.

the links are via radio so the back to back had nothing to do with the datalinks.

the point of the back to back position was to ensure that you got a 360 degree volley from the two of them, with less chance of them wasting shots at the same target or accidentally shooting each other.

and we do see the random volley when Scott first got the alpha from Lunk. we don't see them often though, probably because the show is supposed to be in a setting where supplies like fuel and munition is tricky to get.. and they already were pushing it by not always bringing it up and having the characters use smaller volleys all the time.

That makes sense thank you.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”