Crusader Dropship What is it.

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

GrimmReaper
D-Bee

Crusader Dropship What is it.

Unread post by GrimmReaper »

Recently purchased The Art of Robotech Shadow Chronicles. On page 105 it says the Pioneer SDF-3 Carries 2 Crusader class dropship carriers. Sounds Something like a A Titan aerospace carrier from Battletech or similar to it. Just curious.
tobefrnk
Adventurer

Re: Crusader Dropship What is it.

Unread post by tobefrnk »

http://palladium-megaverse.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=149700

There's discussion of it in this topic. Scroll down to find the entry. It's got the "Art of..." picture as well as some scans from Prelude.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

It's....a wretched ugly design boondoggle....
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

the docked version looks a lot like a ARMD honestly. the only real problematic part is the whole "folds down to land" bit
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
tobefrnk
Adventurer

Unread post by tobefrnk »

glitterboy2098 wrote:the docked version looks a lot like a ARMD honestly. the only real problematic part is the whole "folds down to land" bit

I've been thinking a lot about this as I try to justify every design decision. The only useful reason for the folding hangers is it does reduce the necessary landing footprint. Now, does that one benefit justify all the other problems that need to be considered for such a design, well, I'm not sure.
taalismn
Priest

tobefrnk wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:the docked version looks a lot like a ARMD honestly. the only real problematic part is the whole "folds down to land" bit

I've been thinking a lot about this as I try to justify every design decision. The only useful reason for the folding hangers is it does reduce the necessary landing footprint. Now, does that one benefit justify all the other problems that need to be considered for such a design, well, I'm not sure.

IMHO, not really. A good dropship should make for Easy On, Easy Off for embarked troops. Even if you got rotating decks on those wings, which is where I presume the troops are, the guys on the inboard decks are going to have to hustle down several stories to get to the ground. And something that tall, unless they've got local aerospace superiority and cleared ground all the way to the horizon, is going to attract fire on the ground.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Chronicler
Adventurer
Comment: "... and that is why you should never put a spork in a toaster."
-Over heard conversation in highschool

Unread post by Chronicler »

taalismn wrote:
tobefrnk wrote:

IMHO, not really. A good dropship should make for Easy On, Easy Off for embarked troops. Even if you got rotating decks on those wings, which is where I presume the troops are, the guys on the inboard decks are going to have to hustle down several stories to get to the ground. And something that tall, unless they've got local aerospace superiority and cleared ground all the way to the horizon, is going to attract fire on the ground.

Also when it lands it has a very large silhouette that can be easy to hit with artillery or any other weapons. Would imagine one good hit toppling it to the ground.
taalismn
Priest

Chronicler wrote:[Also when it lands it has a very large silhouette that can be easy to hit with artillery or any other weapons. Would imagine one good hit toppling it to the ground.

"Crusader Toppling'---the sport of backwater world young Zentraedi malcontents.
"DAMN IT! Those Zennie hayseeds pushed over our dropships again in the night!"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”