Why doesn't the hover tank have a windscreen?

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Why doesn't the hover tank have a windscreen?

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

So, no windscreen, no top, and a lot of the time they don't even have their helmets on while driving at speed. That's weird, right?

Any guesses as to why? I would think eating a bug at speed would be as awful on a VHT as it is on a motorcycle...
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Re: Why doesn't the hover tank have a windscreen?

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

The Artist Formerly wrote:So, no windscreen, no top, and a lot of the time they don't even have their helmets on while driving at speed. That's weird, right?.

"More heroic" would be the anime answer.

As to "real world", I would point out they HAD the half-armored driver's station, so its likely that only 2 of the Hovertank squads we positively identify in the Monument City Garrison (14th, 15th ATAC, all others are named and not really seen per se) that ditched them. Its entirely possible that other ATAC units stationed elsewhere used them.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Wasnt that actually corrected in the show itself...hovertanks eventually getting armored cockpits and all.

Prior to the armored cockpits, thats why you wore armor. Your helmet was your windshield. Its not all that cosmic of a concept, every single cyclone has this problem too...
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

The Artist Formerly wrote:So, no windscreen, no top, and a lot of the time they don't even have their helmets on while driving at speed. That's weird, right?

Any guesses as to why? I would think eating a bug at speed would be as awful on a VHT as it is on a motorcycle...

I don't see why it is weird. I think the VHT is modeled more after Tank Destroyers than Main Battle Tanks, and TDs are known to have that open "crew station" and "turret-less" designs.

I suppose its possible that when in motion at sufficient speeds the air flow over the front of the tank acts as a sort of wind screen.
Chronicler
Adventurer
Comment: "... and that is why you should never put a spork in a toaster."
-Over heard conversation in highschool

Unread post by Chronicler »

ShadowLogan wrote:
The Artist Formerly wrote:So, no windscreen, no top, and a lot of the time they don't even have their helmets on while driving at speed. That's weird, right?

I don't see why it is weird. I think the VHT is modeled more after Tank Destroyers than Main Battle Tanks, and TDs are known to have that open "crew station" and "turret-less" designs.

I suppose its possible that when in motion at sufficient speeds the air flow over the front of the tank acts as a sort of wind screen.

True, I always thought the VHT as more of an IFV than tank. Given the open cockpit allows for the operator to have a much wider view of the battlefield but at the hefty expense of protection.
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

Two answers to this one...

The first is the obvious production-related answer. The creators of the original Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross series had spent an awful lot of time, money, and effort creating all of the the elaborate body armor for the original series concept that the Southern Cross anime developed from. Science Fiction Sengoku Saga was originally going to be a "Space western"-style juxtaposition of historical dramas from Japan's warring states period into a sci-fi setting. (Think Nobunaga the Fool, but a LOT less flamboyant and hot-blooded.) When they changed formats to making a robot show in order to get sponsorship, the body armor came along for the ride as the Arming Doublet, and the Spartas' design ensured that the Arming Doublet was prominently displayed throughout the series so they could still capitalize on the designs for merchandising.

(It also serves a second purpose in that it makes it easier to differentiate between the main characters at a glance, since the show doesn't give characters different Spartas paint jobs and the differences in head between Spartas units are so subtle most folks don't even notice there are different head designs.)

The second answer is the in-universe reason in Southern Cross and Robotech... "We didn't think this one through". The original Southern Cross setting materials aren't clear on why humanity even HAS war robots, let alone transforming ones like the Spartas. The Arming Doublet isn't a sealed or airtight system (except on those versions issued to fighter pilots), but the basic rationale for the Spartas not having a sealed cockpit is "they have arming doublets for that"... though it would still likely be rather unpleasant at speed or in bad weather. The Robotech write-up simply acknowledges that it was a really bad idea and makes absolutely no effort to explain or justify it.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

"The body armor stopped the bugs from getting in our teeth alright. The moose on the other hand....."
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Arnie100
Knight

Unread post by Arnie100 »

You don't get to see the hero's or heroine's face with a windscreen.
They can't see me...Right!?
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Arnie100 wrote:You don't get to see the hero's or heroine's face with a windscreen.

The windscreens they added to the Spartas late in the series didn't seem to stop 'em... but that'd be a fair answer as to why they keep riding at high speed with their helmets off.

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

They do have a Low Profile windscreen/windshield.
http://s354.photobucket.com/user/Drewki ... ort=2&o=17

Here is a exaple of a low profile windscreen IRL
http://www.imaginelifestyles.com/luxury ... v8-emerges

With the LP windscreen
http://s354.photobucket.com/user/Drewki ... sort=2&o=3

Without the LP windscreen
http://s354.photobucket.com/user/Drewki ... y&sp=false
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
The Artist Formerly
Champion

Yeah... No seat belts, often driving at speed with their helmets off, no wind screens.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
taalismn
Priest

The Artist Formerly wrote:Yeah... No seat belts, often driving at speed with their helmets off, no wind screens.

Modular backpack clamps might fill the role of seat belts, though, of course, we don't see that as 15th members are pitched out of their hovertanks.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

Pretty much, it looks cool, and after the planet has been bombarded and 90% of all life incinerated... swarms of bugs in the desolation aren't a huge issue? (maybe?)
if were are going into that level or realism in the game to where we need to worry about this, then we should apply that level of realism to all the aspects of the game and make sure we render the PC's sterile and cancer ridden after a few adventures on the radioactive wastes after the Zentradi-holocaust....
Rick (after "saving" Lisa from the ruins of the grand cannon): "Lisa... why is your hair coming out in clumps?"
Lisa: "Rick, your left eye is completely blood shot"
Rick: "I don't know, but i think my liver has shut down and my kidneys are failing"
Lisa: [dies]
Rick: [dies]
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
taalismn
Priest

Colonel Wolfe wrote:Pretty much, it looks cool, and after the planet has been bombarded and 90% of all life incinerated... swarms of bugs in the desolation aren't a huge issue? (maybe?) ]

Big craters....lots of new churned-up wetland(at least until new drainage paths are established by nature). Insect breeding grounds.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

taalismn wrote:
Big craters....lots of new churned-up wetland(at least until new drainage paths are established by nature). Insect breeding grounds.
all highly radio-active areas, most don't even have plants growing in them until the Invid era. There is alot more unrealistic problems in Robotech i'd be worried about "fixing" before I'd jump onto a problem that is non-existent in the show. (i'd start with 40ft tall humans)
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
taalismn
Priest

Colonel Wolfe wrote:[ (i'd start with 40ft tall humans)

Rick Hunter: "According to physical law and biological limitations, you should be barely able to move, and gasping like a beached whale, slowly being crushed by your own weight and starved by your own ineffectual metabolism."
Khyron: "AHHHHAAHAA*GASP*#GAK#....what...THUD*gerk* foul...micron(heave) ian...treachery #burble#...is...#HHHHHEEEEAAAKKkkkk# ...this?!"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Seto Kaiba
Knight

taalismn wrote:Big craters....lots of new churned-up wetland(at least until new drainage paths are established by nature). Insect breeding grounds.

Well... if the damage inflicted by the orbital bombardment is anything like as severe as it is in the Macross OSM, those crater-lakes (and much of the surrounding countryside) are effectively sterile down to the microbial level. Insects probably aren't an issue.

(I won't get into a full summary of the damage here, but in Perfect Memory they say it'll take 10,000 years of environmental repair and recovery before Earth looks anything like it did before the war.)

The Artist Formerly
Champion

taalismn wrote:
The Artist Formerly wrote:Yeah... No seat belts, often driving at speed with their helmets off, no wind screens.

Modular backpack clamps might fill the role of seat belts, though, of course, we don't see that as 15th members are pitched out of their hovertanks.

But the not quite a red shirt guy in the check out the Master's ship episode got tossed clear.

As an aside, I have to say, watching the Southern Cross stuff in spanash, a language I don't speak beyond "Uno mass cervesa porvafor." is all kinds of awesome. It sounds very, very serious. Especially when they use that reverb effect for "alien speech".
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

I think its just a product of the times it was made in (ie early 80s) that explains why seatbelts were not worn.
SRoss
Knight

Unread post by SRoss »

The real answer is that Dana thinks spitting bugs makes her look cool.
taalismn
Priest

"Sean, keep your tongue in your mouth and put your helmet back on....You're leaving a slobber contrail."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Arnie100
Knight

Unread post by Arnie100 »

Marie: "Is that someone's slobber on my canopy?!"
They can't see me...Right!?
The Artist Formerly
Champion

ShadowLogan wrote:

I think its just a product of the times it was made in (ie early 80s) that explains why seatbelts were not worn.

Undoubtedly, you are correct. I watched an old episode of Starski and Hutch, super wild car chase. No one is wearing seatbelts, The G-forces alone should have thrown the driver (the blonde guy) into the lap of the passenger (the other guy) a couple of times. Mythbusters has really damaged my ability to enjoy these things. :(

;)
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Mythbusters has only enhanced my amusement, really.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I'm not certain if a no comment about the wind screen I pointed out is a good or bad thing.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”