What do you think will be the next Robotech,s Book?

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

gaby
Knight

What do you think will be the next Robotech,s Book?

Unread post by gaby »

What do you think will be the Next Robotech,s?

I think it will be about the Zentraedi.

What do you think?
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Re: What do you think will be the next Robotech,s Book?

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

gaby wrote:What do you think will be the Next Robotech,s?

The Expeditionary Force Marines book was originally pitched/marketed as being two volumes, so that may still be coming...

Has Palladium actually announced anything new since Marines came out, tho?
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
SRoss
Knight

Unread post by SRoss »

Probably the second Marines book, but I hope Keven will take another stab at doing the Ships books.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Seto Kaiba wrote:
gaby wrote:What do you think will be the Next Robotech,s?

The Expeditionary Force Marines book was originally pitched/marketed as being two volumes, so that may still be coming...

Has Palladium actually announced anything new since Marines came out, tho?

Not that I can recall, and there isn't anything in the Press Release. Marines dropped reference to multiple volumes in the title and catalog awhile back though.
Arnie100
Knight

Unread post by Arnie100 »

According to the back of The Macross Saga sourcebook (the 8.5 x 11 version), its The Zentraedi Protectorate. Their version of The Malcontent Uprisings, perhaps?
They can't see me...Right!?
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Spaceships. Hopefully. I dont understand the reluctance to give the fans what they want. Especially after publishing the mention of the book in three different previous books.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

Kagashi wrote:Spaceships. Hopefully. I dont understand the reluctance to give the fans what they want. Especially after publishing the mention of the book in three different previous books.

It's a writer who has the chops to write a book.

But the problem with Robotech - Palladium will only put a published freelancer on a project. Not a fan submitted piece of work. Even though the Fan would probably do a better job than some of the Freelancers that have been published for Robotech.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i disagree. the impression i've got from kevin S. back in the gateway to the megaverse days, and when i've talked to the company more recently, i don't think that that printed vs unprinted matters.

i think they're looking for quality of writing. they want an author that can make the book fun to read and interesting.

also, in regards to "fans".. keep in mind that the most problematic book for the RPG so far was written by a "devoted fan" (as kevin S described him), which is why the book has so many errors and problems.. he ignored the HG material to do his own thing, resulting in a complete mess.

not to mention, that Jason marker was also a big fan. who volunteered to write the first few books because of that.

lack of fans is not the problem.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

glitterboy2098 wrote:i disagree. the impression i've got from kevin S. back in the gateway to the megaverse days, and when i've talked to the company more recently, i don't think that that printed vs unprinted matters.

i think they're looking for quality of writing. they want an author that can make the book fun to read and interesting.

also, in regards to "fans".. keep in mind that the most problematic book for the RPG so far was written by a "devoted fan" (as kevin S described him), which is why the book has so many errors and problems.. he ignored the HG material to do his own thing, resulting in a complete mess.

not to mention, that Jason marker was also a big fan. who volunteered to write the first few books because of that.

Don't forget, HG gave the green light to these books. So in the end, I think HG would be the one to blame. As for The Zentraedi Protectorate book, if they do it, maybe they can put some Zentraedi ships in it and kill 2 birds with one book.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Harmony Gold is largely more concerned with legal concerns rather than line by line continuity editing. given how well the previous 5 books had stuck to HG's establish canon while expanding on it, i doubt they expect marines to be any different.

you can bet that Palladium and Hg will be paying more attention going forward in the future.

and shifting the blame to HG doesn't change the fact that we had an author which, because he was a "fan" decided to ignore HG's continuity and write his own stuff that conflicted.

to be an RPG writer you need to be more than just a fan.. you need to be willing to follow what has already been set out by the franchise (in this case both palladium and HG), and be willing to set aside your own biases and perspectives on the setting and system to fit that material. while injecting enough fun and balance into the resulting product that people want to actually use it, and that it doesn't overpower the game.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

glitterboy2098 wrote:i disagree. the impression i've got from kevin S. back in the gateway to the megaverse days, and when i've talked to the company more recently, i don't think that that printed vs unprinted matters.

Marker's work was near perfection, fan or not. The only thing that lacked was incomplete data because the idea of a Spaceship book was in the works. Now the book, which was promised with the Palladium banner, has been canceled, forever leaving a giant continuity gap in the line.

Jackson on the other hand, whom is also apparently a fan, was lazy with Marines; extremely lazy. He didnt even reference his own earlier work with New Gen and Genesis Pits (which were no where near the quality of Marker's works) or bother to read the canon comics and watch LLA or tSC movies.

Being a fan or not really has very little to do with it. You are either a good RPG writer or not.
Updated Aug 2015
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

Kagashi wrote:Marker's work was near perfection, fan or not. The only thing that lacked was incomplete data because the idea of a Spaceship book was in the works. Now the book, which was promised with the Palladium banner, has been canceled, forever leaving a giant continuity gap in the line.

Jason Marker's work was a vast improvement over what we had in 1st Edition, but a lot of that can be attributed to the fact that 2nd Edition had a much larger body of material to lean on. He didn't have to guess wildly based on the animation and minimal Japanese source material publications, he had an official Harmony Gold canon and ready access to a decade-plus of fan translations of various OSM publications on the net. Of course, that combined with the order the books were written in to cause problems of its own... like getting a little too enthusiastic with copying whole cloth from OSM reference sites and accidentally copying over weapons that don't exist in Robotech.

Kagashi wrote:Jackson on the other hand, whom is also apparently a fan, was lazy with Marines; extremely lazy. He didnt even reference his own earlier work with New Gen and Genesis Pits (which were no where near the quality of Marker's works) or bother to read the canon comics and watch LLA or tSC movies.

I don't think Irving Jackson was lazy... I think he suffered a massive, MASSIVE sourcing failure. He was tasked to write a book for the Sentinels arc, and had literally NOTHING to go on in official canon because Harmony Gold has scrapped every detail from the existing depictions of Sentinels except for the "broad strokes". So he referenced what material he had, and nobody in an actual position of authority caught the problems with what he'd done until it was too late.

If he's writing the next book, he needs his editor to keep him on the shortest of leashes and check his work.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
mech798
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by mech798 »

Seto Kaiba wrote:
Kagashi wrote:Jackson on the other hand, whom is also apparently a fan, was lazy with Marines; extremely lazy. He didnt even reference his own earlier work with New Gen and Genesis Pits (which were no where near the quality of Marker's works) or bother to read the canon comics and watch LLA or tSC movies.

I don't think Irving Jackson was lazy... I think he suffered a massive, MASSIVE sourcing failure. He was tasked to write a book for the Sentinels arc, and had literally NOTHING to go on in official canon because Harmony Gold has scrapped every detail from the existing depictions of Sentinels except for the "broad strokes". So he referenced what material he had, and nobody in an actual position of authority caught the problems with what he'd done until it was too late.

If he's writing the next book, he needs his editor to keep him on the shortest of leashes and check his work.

For any project dealing with an established IP, failures are at least as much the responsibility of the editorial staff as they are the writer. If something gets out that isn't in line, the question is: okay, didn't the editor catch it in the first read through? That's part of their job.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

mech798 wrote:
Seto Kaiba wrote:

For any project dealing with an established IP, failures are at least as much the responsibility of the editorial staff as they are the writer. If something gets out that isn't in line, the question is: okay, didn't the editor catch it in the first read through? That's part of their job.

Yeah. With as much supposed micro managing that goes into the editing at Palladium (according to former authors), you would think these mistakes would have been caught. Especially since die hard fans all bought the raw edition and were critical about it and they still published this rubbish. Really, there was no excuse for the product we saw to be published, from Jackson, Palladium, and HG.
Updated Aug 2015
devillin
Adventurer

Unread post by devillin »

Seto Kaiba wrote:

While the nitty gritty details of the Sentinels arc wasn't there, the broad strokes were. He specifically went against the broad strokes and decided to use sources and ideas that were kicked out of the canon almost a decade ago. I will grant that he was probably given free reign, and not told specifically, "Follow this." The worst part was that he contradicted ideas that have been in the rpg for the last 5 years. So while it is forgivable that he went against guidelines that probably weren't established, it is inexcusable that he gave every indication of not even having read the previous RPG material.

I will grant him this, what he wrote was a load of fun to read. But when you start analyzing it, the problems were glaring.
Moderator 3 of 6, Rec.Games.Mecha Newsgroup for Robot Games Discussion.
10th Lyran Guards, The Revenants.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

devillin wrote:
Seto Kaiba wrote:

While the nitty gritty details of the Sentinels arc wasn't there, the broad strokes were. He specifically went against the broad strokes and decided to use sources and ideas that were kicked out of the canon almost a decade ago. I will grant that he was probably given free reign, and not told specifically, "Follow this." The worst part was that he contradicted ideas that have been in the rpg for the last 5 years. So while it is forgivable that he went against guidelines that probably weren't established, it is inexcusable that he gave every indication of not even having read the previous RPG material.

I will grant him this, what he wrote was a load of fun to read. But when you start analyzing it, the problems were glaring.

He not only contradicted existing RPG material from previous writers, but he didnt even bother to read or watch the Yune canon comics or movies, which should have been the priority. They didnt even use the word "Sentinels" which is even in print in Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles, with an illustration with all the Sentinels races in the same panel. What little material we did have, wasnt even really mentioned.

But the aliens proper, I didnt have a problem with. As a matter of a fact, most of the source material as individual entries were actually pretty good, even the mecha. When looking at each entry on it's own, they stand up as decent pieces of material, gaps were filled where needed to make a complete product. But when comparing those individual entries to other elements, even within the same book (for example, the Bioroid Interceptor and the Z Series Destroids histories do not meld together), they fail due to extreme laziness in research on the part of the author and the editors. Whats worse, we even got a RAW preview and many people expressed their opinions and somethings were fixed, but most were not in the final version. But when he needed to fill gaps, he didnt bother to look at previous material. The timeline was the biggest sin.
Updated Aug 2015

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”