Robotech book size

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The problem with world is all the people.

Robotech book size

Unread post by Tags »

So I got three of my Robotech books in today, but I was shocked see that the core book and the Master Saga book are physically smaller and the Macros Scoure book is the size of a normal Palladium book, wondering why they made these two so small. Like 7.5" by 5" and the other book is 11" by 8.5"
I am disillusioned enough to know that no man's opinion on any subject is worth a damn unless backed up with enough genuine information to make him really know what he's talking about.

H. P. Lovecraft
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Re: Robotech book size

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

Tags wrote:So I got three of my Robotech books in today, but I was shocked see that the core book and the Master Saga book are physically smaller and the Macros Scoure book is the size of a normal Palladium book, wondering why they made these two so small. Like 7.5" by 5" and the other book is 11" by 8.5"

The initial release of the core book and first two sourcebooks was in the smaller "manga" size... after they ran out of inventory, they reprinted in their standard 8.5x11" format due to complaints about the smaller size from fans.

AFAIK, they just haven't run out of stock on the Masters Saga book yet, and thus haven't ordered a reprinting at normal size.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Welcome to the "manga sized" debate.

Basically, the books sucked so much, the next run they do will be full sized. To get the Shadow Chronicles full sized, order the Deluxe version. It fixes a bunch of stuff the Manga sized one dropped the ball on.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The problem with world is all the people.

Unread post by Tags »

I am thinking thinking about picking the Gold Edition up this weekend... It threw me for a moment when I saw it... Odd fit with the rest of the collection but oh well... Guess I could order another source book but I figure better to wait and hope they run out of Manga size...

Well I have an excuse to get gold edition. ;>
I am disillusioned enough to know that no man's opinion on any subject is worth a damn unless backed up with enough genuine information to make him really know what he's talking about.

H. P. Lovecraft
Chronicler
Adventurer
Comment: "... and that is why you should never put a spork in a toaster."
-Over heard conversation in highschool

Unread post by Chronicler »

Yeah I got the Macross saga manga edition right before the announced the change, the masters however I snagged at the Comic Shop in the nearby city because it had a slight discount on it (dude who ordered ditched it and about 2 years back log on three different comic series).

Other than that I have the regular sized ones.

Also any changed in the Macross book?
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

nah, Macross Manga vs standard size have identical material.
Updated Aug 2015
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
SRoss
Knight

Unread post by SRoss »

I remember Mike Pondsmith was actually considering doing the new MEKTON in the manga format. Palladium's experience with that was the main reason he decided not to.
Arnie100
Knight

Unread post by Arnie100 »

The only book left in the manga size is The Masters Saga.
They can't see me...Right!?
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

There are still some non-deluxe tSC books out there. I dont think they are considering a full sized, non-deluxe.
Updated Aug 2015
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Arnie100 wrote:The only book left in the manga size is The Masters Saga.

No, in the Palladium Books website store the only two books left are the TSC Main Book (Cat. # 550, fullsize are 550HC/5500HC and the Masters Saga SB (Cat. # 552) in Manga size. Both product pages say they are manga-size though if you read them fully.

Once they are out, yes they are out, but both books are still available for order from Palladium Books in the Manga size. When they run the replacement print run it will be full-size (if it ever happens).
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

Yes TSC is Manga, TSC Deluxe is Hard Cover. The TSC Deluxe has additional information that wasn't printed in the Managa (some space ships, and a motorcyle, I can't remember what else), and is basically the second printing of the Manga which fixes some spelling and picture errors.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Tiree wrote:Yes TSC is Manga, TSC Deluxe is Hard Cover. The TSC Deluxe has additional information that wasn't printed in the Managa (some space ships, and a motorcyle, I can't remember what else), and is basically the second printing of the Manga which fixes some spelling and picture errors.

Gives the correct art for the Wolverine Assault Rifle and stats out the Wolf Modular System (which is the picture they used for the Wolverine in the Manga sized). Removes the Regiss as a "mecha". Provides attacks per melee for the Haydonites. And stuff like that. Pretty important stuff if you actually want to play the game.
Updated Aug 2015
ilexgarodan
D-Bee

Unread post by ilexgarodan »

Honestly, the theory behind the manga graphic novel-sized books is sound. The books take up less space on your shelf and, due to their size, have more pages than the standard 8 1/2" x 11" books. The execution, however, was lacklustre. I like having my RPG books open for easy reference on the table. Because of the manga format, the books tend to close themselves when they're on a table. This can be rather frustrating when you're constantly re-opening the book to the same page over and over.

It was a neat idea, and I have to give Kevin props for it, but what works for graphic novels doesn't necessarily work for roleplaying books. Fortunately, from the New Generation sourcebook and onwards, the books returned to the standard 8 1/2" x 11" format.
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

If they ever get around to reprinting The Masters War sourcebook in regular size, quite a few things need to be corrected.....
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Rabid Southern Cross Fan wrote:If they ever get around to reprinting The Masters War sourcebook in regular size, quite a few things need to be corrected.....

Id like to see a Deluxe version of Masters. Lots of missing things mentioned but not statted out in the manga sized. Like Triton's HIR-44 Ion Carbine and head mounted ion cannons.

To be clear, a Deluxe version is where they correct things. A full sized version is the manga sized simply reformatted, like the Macross book was.

If I were to do a Deluxe, the book would prolly be the size of The Shadow Chronicles Deluxe. Include Tokugawa (original and refit), Battle cruisers, Vulture Fighters, and Master Transport ships, character bios, and fix the art on the Myrmidon along with all the other missing tidbits mentioned by not statted out.

I would also use this as an opportunity to print UEEF items like the Tiger Destroids, Wolfe flashback fighters, Wolfe flashback armor, Wolfe flashback carbine, SDF-3 (original and refit) and so on. Yeah, I know they fall outside the scope of Masters...but all the other books are basically a smattering of all eras as well. Genesis Pits has a huge identity crisis. But these UEEF items would have been around during that era (minus the refits), so they fit, and it helps cage the reader into realizing what the UEEF was doing during that time period. Might be a good time to put that MAC III from the other thread too. Afterall, the UEDF/UEEF were still present in Robotech canon when the Masters arrived, just as a very diminished capacity since most left with the Pioneer mission.
Updated Aug 2015

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”