Does anyone actually play with the rules exactly as written?

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

bielmic
Dungeon Crawler

Does anyone actually play with the rules exactly as written?

Unread post by bielmic »

I've been painting some models and looking over the Robotech RPG books for the first time in a long time while paint dries and was trying to make sense of the combat rules as written again. Here was my first attempt:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=141878

This time around, I found a new passage that both clarifies and muddies the water in the previous thread again (sorry, didn't want to necro an old thread... year time limit and all). On page 157 (top left) it specifically lists the stuff you get in hand to hand combat skills as "bonuses" with the exception of your base attacks which are under a different subheading.

On page 159 (top right), it specifically says you do NOT add PP bonuses or HTH bonuses to modern weapons. So, does anyone actually play exactly as written? No attack bonuses for level when shooting with modern weapons (in or outside of mecha), no strike bonuses, no dodge bonuses (since they don't specificy whether with or versus), etc. Do things like boxing which clearly belong in HTH also follow the "spirit" of this rule? Every time I try to make logical 1+1=2 sense of the rules, I end up with 3 (and the common responses to that dilema is to instead use 2x3=7 from another game or book). Or do folks just tend to add up all the bonuses (like with previous games like original robotech/rifts) into one big pile unless specificed under that specific rule (like with WP's or weapon specific bonuses)?

I would really appreciate it if respondents who try to quote the rules to justify their answers please state the Robotech book (and ONLY robotech books) and page number of the text they're using. I know there are a myriad of other ways to "fix" this both from OTHER rpgs made by palladium as well as common house rule alternatives (like simply lumping it all together as stated above)... but I'm looking for an in game robotech rules solution to this if possible.
Congratulations, Palladium Books. You just threw away a customer of 28 years because of how you handled Robotech Tactics.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: Does anyone actually play with the rules exactly as writ

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

the group i play with plays with no houserules.

also, that "no PP or HTH bonus for modern weapons" thing has been part of palladiums core ruleset for the better part of 20 years.

only WP's, weapon systems skill, and bonuses given by MECT/the specific vehicle apply to modern weapons.

and you still add together your HTH and MECT.. you just have to keep seperate the bonuses for melee from the bonuses for the guns.

also the strike bonuses from hand to hand skills you get at levels have always been for melee combat only. they have never been applied to modern weapons like guns or missiles.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Arnie100
Knight

Unread post by Arnie100 »

Nope.
They can't see me...Right!?
bielmic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bielmic »

glitterboy2098 wrote:the group i play with plays with no houserules.

also, that "no PP or HTH bonus for modern weapons" thing has been part of palladiums core ruleset for the better part of 20 years.

only WP's, weapon systems skill, and bonuses given by MECT/the specific vehicle apply to modern weapons.

Does that apply to the big mounted single shot weapons like the hovertank main gun or the p-beam on top of the glaug officer's pod?
Congratulations, Palladium Books. You just threw away a customer of 28 years because of how you handled Robotech Tactics.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Why would those be any different?
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
bielmic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bielmic »

glitterboy2098 wrote:Why would those be any different?

Pg. 160 under single fire shots (which is the only type of fire those weapons are capable of). The mect/weapon system/weapon entry bonuses do NOT fall under WP or the table below it and the rule says NO additional bonuses apply. Whether knowingly or not, you have effectively been house ruling because you have two mutually exclusive rules sprinkled throughout the book. The weapons system skill rules say use it but the single shot rules say you can't. You either opted to house rule (if you knew about the exception) to go with the much more logical former (to include the bonuses for single fire weapons) or, if you didn't know about, it still illustrates the problem of conflicting rules sprinkled throughout the rulebook because of the haphazard way the palladium rules has slowly evolved over 30 years without anyone ever doing a major housecleaning... and you must NOW make a decision whether to house rule it to play as you have been or to instead play it with the nonsensical rules as written. The palladium rules, when you attempt to read them in a logical 1+1=2 fashion as written, simply don't work in many cases.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I think it'd be a neat house rule to add PP bonuses to guns in close-range combat since your personal agility and limb-moving seems to be more important there, whereas accuracy at longer distances is more of a micro-prowess issue than a macro-prowess issue.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

bielmic wrote:

Pg. 160 under single fire shots (which is the only type of fire those weapons are capable of). The mect/weapon system/weapon entry bonuses do NOT fall under WP or the table below it and the rule says NO additional bonuses apply. Whether knowingly or not, you have effectively been house ruling because you have two mutually exclusive rules sprinkled throughout the book. The weapons system skill rules say use it but the single shot rules say you can't. You either opted to house rule (if you knew about the exception) to go with the much more logical former (to include the bonuses for single fire weapons) or, if you didn't know about, it still illustrates the problem of conflicting rules sprinkled throughout the rulebook because of the haphazard way the palladium rules has slowly evolved over 30 years without anyone ever doing a major housecleaning... and you must NOW make a decision whether to house rule it to play as you have been or to instead play it with the nonsensical rules as written. The palladium rules, when you attempt to read them in a logical 1+1=2 fashion as written, simply don't work in many cases.

W.P. Heavy Mega-Damage Weapons. "Includes plasma ejectors, M.D. rail guns, rocket launchers, mini-missile launchers, and weapon turrets and cannons built into or which are a key part of giant robots, tanks, aircraft and other combat vehicles.
The VHT main cannon would fall under this heading. Along with just about any other built-in weapon system. External Hand-Held gunpods/weapons would be covered by WP skills to.
bielmic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bielmic »

ShadowLogan wrote:
bielmic wrote:

W.P. Heavy Mega-Damage Weapons. "Includes plasma ejectors, M.D. rail guns, rocket launchers, mini-missile launchers, and weapon turrets and cannons built into or which are a key part of giant robots, tanks, aircraft and other combat vehicles.
The VHT main cannon would fall under this heading. Along with just about any other built-in weapon system. External Hand-Held gunpods/weapons would be covered by WP skills to.

Yup, I agree and have never stated otherwise. The WP bonuses and the modifiers from the table below the single fire rule are NOT at issue. Everything else is disallowed by the rule and if you use them then you're not playing the rules as written (RAW).
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

I've played rules-as-written all of maybe twice... at which point the red ink pen came out and things started getting streamlined and corrected.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

I try to play RAW - but it is very hard, when the game is not internally consistent. Which is a huge pet peeve for me.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

We play pretty much RAW in terms of stats and rules, though sometimes have houseruled clarifications. I think the only houserule that stands out though is the character creation process and the number of d6 rolled (we roll 4d6, re-roll 1s and drop the lowest unless the 3highest allow for a bonus roll). We also check other PB line rule books if the current line we are playing in is unclear or non-existent and possibly to expand options (in 1E skill list was so short that porting additional skills from other lines helped give characters more variety).

bieimic wrote:Yup, I agree and have never stated otherwise. The WP bonuses and the modifiers from the table below the single fire rule are NOT at issue. Everything else is disallowed by the rule and if you use them then you're not playing the rules as written (RAW).

Except that the WP description themselves allow for it's inclusion on mecha/vehicle weapon systems. And specific systems can provide additional bonuses. Sometimes the rules will state something, but later you will see an exception that will over rule it.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

bielmic wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:
bielmic wrote:

Yup, I agree and have never stated otherwise. The WP bonuses and the modifiers from the table below the single fire rule are NOT at issue. Everything else is disallowed by the rule and if you use them then you're not playing the rules as written (RAW).

Except that the rule is in regards to Modern Weapons being fired with W.P.s thus a rule about hand weapons would not apply to a mecha weapon in the first case, and the second case the statement 'no additional bonuses or penalties' would mean that it is not penalized like a called shot nor gains a bonus like an aimed shot. This is especially made evident because some of the 'except for the following' bonuses specifically call out that sniping and WP modify.......
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Tiree wrote:I try to play RAW - but it is very hard, when the game is not internally consistent. Which is a huge pet peeve for me.

Agreed. There are some things that you just have to house rule to make them work. The RAW may work for most instances, but there are situations when two rules seem to work against each other, mechanics that should work one way for one rule, ends up working a different way for another rule (example, adding bonuses for Auto Dodge vs adding bonuses for Auto Parry; or DC by location for tech vs static single value for organic). Id just like to see consistency.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

I will say in my group we thought we were playing RAW in fact we had numerous house rules.

the adjusted dice rule is IMO a fairly common house rule to give chars a slightly more "epic" feel
and first it was roll 4 dice drop the lowest, then when one person got several 3-5 stats even with that... it became reroll 1's, and on occasion reroll 1's and 2's

with that said to "simplify" things we did tend to apply the pp bonus across the board as to us it made more sense that someone with naturally better reflexes is going to be better at ALL aspects of combat than someone who is less "gifted"
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

guardiandashi wrote:I will say in my group we thought we were playing RAW in fact we had numerous house rules.

the adjusted dice rule is IMO a fairly common house rule to give chars a slightly more "epic" feel
and first it was roll 4 dice drop the lowest, then when one person got several 3-5 stats even with that... it became reroll 1's, and on occasion reroll 1's and 2's

with that said to "simplify" things we did tend to apply the pp bonus across the board as to us it made more sense that someone with naturally better reflexes is going to be better at ALL aspects of combat than someone who is less "gifted"

Using the new Quick Stat Chart, it makes things easier. You just roll 1 die and have a bonus.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”