Ghost Squadron

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

DocTom
Megaversal® Ambassador

Ghost Squadron

Unread post by DocTom »

I need some help from the hive mind. What if anything do we know about Ghost Squadron. I think most od the info is in the McKinney Novels and the Sentinels comics, but is there anything one what Ghost was doing during the First Robotech war?
Alpha 11
Palladin

Re: Ghost Squadron

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

DocTom wrote:I need some help from the hive mind. What if anything do we know about Ghost Squadron. I think most od the info is in the McKinney Novels and the Sentinels comics, but is there anything one what Ghost was doing during the First Robotech war?

I think there is a real Ghost unit in the Navy. And I know Lisa said, "Ghost team is clear, Skull team pre pare for take off." (IIRR) Now that Ghost team could have been the unmanned fighters that had just taken off, or another VF team that had taken off, off screen. So either way, it looks like there was a Ghost team on the SDF-1.
DocTom
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by DocTom »

Cool, that helps.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i suspect that the Ghost "team" was the QF-3000 drones. especially since she later chews out Rick (after he takes an armored battloid out to intercept the zent recon ship) by reminding he's "supposed to be flying Ghost support", a line which makes more sense if the ghosts in question are drones (he'd be flying backup/control for the AI planes) and not another squadron (which given no other fighters launch, seems an unlikely) likewise if they were a squadron, you'd expect the line to be more like "your supposed to be flying support for Ghost squadron"

that said there probably was a "ghost squadron".. but i'd suggest it wasn't on the SDF-1 at all, but rather it was a unit edwards commanded at Alaska Base/the grand cannon.. and that Edwards, after escaping the ruined base and recovering from his injuries, used his rank to get the UEDF to rebuild the squadron.. into which he recruited people with similar views as himself. and it was that "rebuilt" Ghost squadron which went to tirol as part of the UEEF.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

DocTom wrote:I need some help from the hive mind. What if anything do we know about Ghost Squadron. I think most od the info is in the McKinney Novels and the Sentinels comics, but is there anything one what Ghost was doing during the First Robotech war?

Did it even exist back then?

The Ghost unit in the Macross Saga is likely a unit of actual QF-3000E Ghosts.

The only references to a Ghost Squadron that leap to mind are the unit that was under the command of General Edwards in the Sentinels arc, which turned traitor alongside him and were presumably wiped out during the battle on Optera.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

glitterboy2098 wrote:i suspect that the Ghost "team" was the QF-3000 drones. especially since she later chews out Rick (after he takes an armored battloid out to intercept the zent recon ship) by reminding he's "supposed to be flying Ghost support", a line which makes more sense if the ghosts in question are drones (he'd be flying backup/control for the AI planes) and not another squadron (which given no other fighters launch, seems an unlikely) likewise if they were a squadron, you'd expect the line to be more like "your supposed to be flying support for Ghost squadron"

that said there probably was a "ghost squadron".. but i'd suggest it wasn't on the SDF-1 at all, but rather it was a unit edwards commanded at Alaska Base/the grand cannon.. and that Edwards, after escaping the ruined base and recovering from his injuries, used his rank to get the UEDF to rebuild the squadron.. into which he recruited people with similar views as himself. and it was that "rebuilt" Ghost squadron which went to tirol as part of the UEEF.

I won't argue. You could be right.

Seto Kaiba wrote:

Did it even exist back then?

The Ghost unit in the Macross Saga is likely a unit of actual QF-3000E Ghosts.

The only references to a Ghost Squadron that leap to mind are the unit that was under the command of General Edwards in the Sentinels arc, which turned traitor alongside him and were presumably wiped out during the battle on Optera.

And, you also could be right. I might be getting some fanfic info mixed up in all this.
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

Ghost Squadron is Edwards boys and girls in the sentinels, as far as the novels go. They did turn traitors with him and fled to Optera with Edwards.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

glitterboy2098 wrote:i suspect that the Ghost "team" was the QF-3000 drones. especially since she later chews out Rick (after he takes an armored battloid out to intercept the zent recon ship) by reminding he's "supposed to be flying Ghost support", a line which makes more sense if the ghosts in question are drones (he'd be flying backup/control for the AI planes) and not another squadron (which given no other fighters launch, seems an unlikely) likewise if they were a squadron, you'd expect the line to be more like "your supposed to be flying support for Ghost squadron"

"flying Ghost support", I do agree it was in relation to the QF-3000 given we are shown them deployed already in the episode in question IIRC. I think it might be odd to call the Ghost Drones a "ghost team" IMHO.

Ghost Squadron/Team though may be a full on manned unit of Valkaries (or some other manned platform). IIRC there was a PA/radio announcement concerning them. Really in RT most VF units have color names in TMS aside from Skull, Wolf, and Ghost.
veritech_ace
Newb

Unread post by veritech_ace »

Ghost Squadron I believe is mentioned in Blue Wind. Lisa is on the PA during a fighter scramble. I have to see it again, but thats all I remember.
smkeyes
Wanderer

Unread post by smkeyes »

You are correct Ghost squadron is mentioned in episode blue wind
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

We figure in that 'Ghost Squadron' as Edwards commands it counts his own handpicked ground support, security, and support personnel, and not just the air crews(Edwards using his influence to pad the unit's roster above the size of units like Skull and the Wolff Pack?)?
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Lt Gargoyle
Champion

Ghost Squadron in the novels was a veritech squadron, but seemed like a personal army. So i think Taalismn is on the right track there.

taalismn
Priest

Admittedly when he made his breakout, he had the big force multiplier of the Inorganics under his command, but he still seems to have been able to stymie the UEEF ground forces up until then, though one also has to factor in the other force multipliers of a pre-fortified position, his men already having an active plan and no compunction about firing on fellow Terrans, and that the large numbers of troops surrounding his men didn't yet realize what he was up to and how nasty a piece of work Edwards and his lackies were collectively.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Lt Gargoyle
Champion

taalismn wrote:Admittedly when he made his breakout, he had the big force multiplier of the Inorganics under his command, but he still seems to have been able to stymie the UEEF ground forces up until then, though one also has to factor in the other force multipliers of a pre-fortified position, his men already having an active plan and no compunction about firing on fellow Terrans, and that the large numbers of troops surrounding his men didn't yet realize what he was up to and how nasty a piece of work Edwards and his lackies were collectively.

Dont forget he had several council members in his pocket and one of Langs competitors working with him.

taalismn
Priest

Ah yes, the morphic Doctor Zand....the McKinneyist cabalist or the Shadow Chronicles' bald and faithless brainiac leading his men right into an ambush by Hunter's landing party.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Lt Gargoyle
Champion

ah yea, Dr. Zand, I could not remember his name as its been forever since i read the novels.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”