Character Question re:Robotech

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darkdrake87
Newb

Character Question re:Robotech

Unread post by darkdrake87 »

So I'm in the process of setting up a game in my in-home group, running just prior to the launch of the SDF-3 (set mid-2022 for the start at the least), and I was intending to create an NPC to run with the part that was half-Zentraedi. Unfortunately, the only Zentraedi template I could find would be the Micronized Zentraedi. Is there a template somewhere else that I might be able to use for a child of a human and a Zentraedi, or would the Micronized Zentraedi creation still work for a half-breed?
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: Character Question re:Robotech

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

2E or 1E Robotech?

2E Robotech the rules can be found in the "New Generation Sourcebook" on page15 (essentially it is Book 4, though they don't number anything like they used to).

1E Robotech it isn't covered anywhere IIRC because they are treated as practically non-existent (Dana Sterling being the only example I can recall).

The old Macross 2 RPG (main book IINM) does cover the issue of mixed parentage. Not this is not part of Robotech, but in many respects is the closest your going to come. Generally Palladium doesn't cover 1/2 Breeds, the rare occasions where mixing occur result in the off spring being essentially one or the other (ie if a Zent and Human had a child, the child would be for game purposes either a Zent. or human) not some mix (RT line being the exception).
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

darkdrake87 wrote:So I'm in the process of setting up a game in my in-home group, running just prior to the launch of the SDF-3 (set mid-2022 for the start at the least), and I was intending to create an NPC to run with the part that was half-Zentraedi. Unfortunately, the only Zentraedi template I could find would be the Micronized Zentraedi. Is there a template somewhere else that I might be able to use for a child of a human and a Zentraedi, or would the Micronized Zentraedi creation still work for a half-breed?

Well... the absence of a template may be intentional on a couple levels.

Mainly, in (canon) Robotech, human-alien hybrids are all but unheard-of... with only two presented thus far. Neither of which appear to have any unique or distinctive traits that set them apart from baseline humanity. It would appear, on those grounds, that normal character templates for humans would also be used for Human-Zentradi hybrids in Robotech.

(The situation is somewhat different in Macross, where hybrids are relatively common and many of them do retain some of the Zentradi genome's traits... like greater physical resilience, superior resistance to g-forces, increased aggression, pointed ears, minor predisposition to pallid skin tones and a large build, or some odder traits like prehensile hair. There are downsides too, like possibly being unable to use a micloning machine safely, or having anger management issues.)
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Chronicler
Adventurer
Comment: "... and that is why you should never put a spork in a toaster."
-Over heard conversation in highschool

Unread post by Chronicler »

Seto Kaiba wrote:
darkdrake87 wrote:So I'm in the process of setting up a game in my in-home group, running just prior to the launch of the SDF-3 (set mid-2022 for the start at the least), and I was intending to create an NPC to run with the part that was half-Zentraedi. Unfortunately, the only Zentraedi template I could find would be the Micronized Zentraedi. Is there a template somewhere else that I might be able to use for a child of a human and a Zentraedi, or would the Micronized Zentraedi creation still work for a half-breed?

Well... the absence of a template may be intentional on a couple levels.

Mainly, in (canon) Robotech, human-alien hybrids are all but unheard-of... with only two presented thus far. Neither of which appear to have any unique or distinctive traits that set them apart from baseline humanity. It would appear, on those grounds, that normal character templates for humans would also be used for Human-Zentradi hybrids in Robotech.

(The situation is somewhat different in Macross, where hybrids are relatively common and many of them do retain some of the Zentradi genome's traits... like greater physical resilience, superior resistance to g-forces, increased aggression, pointed ears, minor predisposition to pallid skin tones and a large build, or some odder traits like prehensile hair. There are downsides too, like possibly being unable to use a micloning machine safely, or having anger management issues.)

Don't forget Klan Klang's "little" problem. :roll:
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

details are found on page 15 of The New Generation Sourcebook. the section about human/zentreadi and human/tyrolian hybrids, with minor attribute mods depending on what the alien parent was. for example if your mom was a female warrior elite zentreadi, you'd get a small boost to your PP, if you dad was a male one it's to PE, but in both cases you also suffer a small penalty to ME and MA.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

Sadly this is not possible, not even using, OSMlogic like Seto here.

Using the very game system/story line of Robotech. Dana Stering is the very first Human/Zentraedi Hybrid and she is only like 9 or 10 years old when the SDF 3 departs with the rest of the Pioneer Fleet. Even if you found another Zentraedi male or female to breed with a human and produce off springs right away, they would be way to young to enlist.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

on the otherhand, by that point you could have a micronized zentreadi who only has UEDF training..
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Lt Gargoyle
Champion

glitterboy2098 wrote:on the otherhand, by that point you could have a micronized zentreadi who only has UEDF training..

this would be the route I'd take.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

if you need a backstory, just have the NPC be one of the last clones created on the factory satellite the UEDF captured.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

Lt Gargoyle wrote:

Using the very game system/story line of Robotech. Dana Stering is the very first Human/Zentraedi Hybrid and she is only like 9 or 10 years old when the SDF 3 departs with the rest of the Pioneer Fleet. Even if you found another Zentraedi male or female to breed with a human and produce off springs right away, they would be way to young to enlist.
well depending on your take on how the cloning works, and if you allow for an accelerated growth and "training cycle" for the "clones" it might be possible to get a human zentradi crossbreed that was "growth accelerated" in the cloning apparatus but as mentioned that would be rather iffy to explain
Lt Gargoyle
Champion

guardiandashi wrote:
Lt Gargoyle wrote:

well depending on your take on how the cloning works, and if you allow for an accelerated growth and "training cycle" for the "clones" it might be possible to get a human zentradi crossbreed that was "growth accelerated" in the cloning apparatus but as mentioned that would be rather iffy to explain

Well the Robotech side (and not Macross, since this is a Robotech question), has the humans still not fully understanding their technology, and unable to clone on their own. ANd before you can jump in Seto, I have never once in the many year of watching reading do we see or hear them say they can clones. So that would be a GM call for story line effect

But technically would this process not just make this a Zentraedi with some new DNA mixed into the genetic pool and have no real alteration. Since they are gonna manipulate the cells to give them the best engineered soldier.

But its a story line for the GM to chose in his or her game.

Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Lt Gargoyle wrote:Well the Robotech side (and not Macross, since this is a Robotech question), has the humans still not fully understanding their technology, and unable to clone on their own.

Debatable... the canon comics do indicate the "protoculture chamber" is the Zentradi cloning apparatus, so at least they demonstrably had the means if the GM wants to go that route.

No clues are given as to how fast the process is in Robotech though. It's VERY quick in Macross. (Of course, the original Macross version also includes features that would absolutely break the plot of Robotech's middle saga...)

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Lt Gargoyle
Champion

Seto Kaiba wrote:
Lt Gargoyle wrote:Well the Robotech side (and not Macross, since this is a Robotech question), has the humans still not fully understanding their technology, and unable to clone on their own.

Debatable... the canon comics do indicate the "protoculture chamber" is the Zentradi cloning apparatus, so at least they demonstrably had the means if the GM wants to go that route.

No clues are given as to how fast the process is in Robotech though. It's VERY quick in Macross. (Of course, the original Macross version also includes features that would absolutely break the plot of Robotech's middle saga...)

Its why i said its a GM call. But the humans in macross era of Robotech do not have a full grasp on alien technology. watching the anti gravity pods rip out of the SDF hull is funny. how hard would it really be to secure your ships lifts to it. I would think from an more realistic point the ship being ripped apart as each of them pulled in different directions.

ShadowLogan
Palladin

Seto wrote:No clues are given as to how fast the process is in Robotech though. It's VERY quick in Macross. (Of course, the original Macross version also includes features that would absolutely break the plot of Robotech's middle saga...)

Yes and No. The cloning process involved in the resizing of a Zentreadi is shown to be fairly fast in the show. It isn't given in hard quantifiable terms, but it is fairly fast given the incidents depicted, and the process is stated to be "re-cloning" and depicted w/2 bodies in the different sizes tubes.

Now in terms of growing a new being as opposed to resizing, there is no indication one way or the other. We can can infer through from the resizing process that it can be done quickly from a physical standpoint, though the mental aspect is in question.
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

Lt Gargoyle wrote:
Seto Kaiba wrote:

Its why i said its a GM call. But the humans in macross era of Robotech do not have a full grasp on alien technology. watching the anti gravity pods rip out of the SDF hull is funny. how hard would it really be to secure your ships lifts to it. I would think from an more realistic point the ship being ripped apart as each of them pulled in different directions.

I always felt part of the reason the anti gravity units ripped out was "shock loading" due to the way they were activated. if you pay attention to the dialog, (if I remember right) gloval's orders were essentially like in the star trek movie where the command "full impulse" out of the spacedock was given, where regs are you are supposed to use thrusters until you are a certain distance away.
so if the agrav units as they power up release an expanding field (that didn't have time to expand properly) that might help explain why there were "issues"
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

its also possible they misunderstood the principle those pods operated under.. assuming some area field effect when instead they operate as just point source reactionless drives for example. (or perhaps it was a field effect, but didn't extend as far as expected, etc) and the redesign just didn't include robust enough braces.

though that would be hard to rectify with the apparent use of antigravity systems to fly Daedalus troopships and Prometheus carriers into earth orbit prior to the zentraedi arrival.

so perhaps the reconstruction of the SDF-1 had some shoddy work done at points, or a contractor slipped in substandard materials..

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Chronicler
Adventurer
Comment: "... and that is why you should never put a spork in a toaster."
-Over heard conversation in highschool

Unread post by Chronicler »

glitterboy2098 wrote:its also possible they misunderstood the principle those pods operated under.. assuming some area field effect when instead they operate as just point source reactionless drives for example. (or perhaps it was a field effect, but didn't extend as far as expected, etc) and the redesign just didn't include robust enough braces.

though that would be hard to rectify with the apparent use of antigravity systems to fly Daedalus troopships and Prometheus carriers into earth orbit prior to the zentraedi arrival.

so perhaps the reconstruction of the SDF-1 had some shoddy work done at points, or a contractor slipped in substandard materials..

You have to cut corners sometimes.

Contractor: "So what is our budget for this reconstruction?"

UEDF bean counter: "High, but not high enough."

Contractor: *looks over papers* "Well we'll have to cut some corners. How impotent is this gravity drive, what ever the hell that is."

UEDF bean counter: "Eh, probably nothing."
Lt Gargoyle
Champion

Well whatever the reason the SDF-1 was not ripped apart as the pods tore through it and exited the top of the hull, its primary purpose was that the humans did not completely understand the technology yet.

I am not saying you cannot mix the DNA and push it through the cloning chamber, I am just thinking you would have made an Zentraedi. Perhaps a weaker version. One who you would have to program with skills and knowledge. otherwise you would have a cute little baby Zentraedi which would still be to young for the OPs original question.

ShadowLogan
Palladin

glitterboy2098 wrote:its also possible they misunderstood the principle those pods operated under.. assuming some area field effect when instead they operate as just point source reactionless drives for example. (or perhaps it was a field effect, but didn't extend as far as expected, etc) and the redesign just didn't include robust enough braces.

Yeah the flying Daedalus/Prometheus ships cause issues with why they could get it to work there, but not with the SDF-1. Something that might explain it is that the system was improperly scaled by humans, so the smaller ships they got right, but the bigger ship...

It should also be noted that Gloval calls for "Anti-Gravity: Full Thrust" (or something akin to that in dialogue). So the AnG pods may have simply generated too much "thrust" for the situation and ripped free. The reworked gravity control system the SDF-1 utilized there after (mentioned in "Bye Bye Mars" and "Bursting Point") apparently had limits and reliability.
Seto Kaiba
Knight

Lt Gargoyle wrote:Its why i said its a GM call. But the humans in macross era of Robotech do not have a full grasp on alien technology.

That's true for pretty much any era of Robotech...

Lt Gargoyle wrote:Well whatever the reason the SDF-1 was not ripped apart as the pods tore through it and exited the top of the hull, its primary purpose was that the humans did not completely understand the technology yet.

In Robotech, yes... the reason was rather different in the original.

Lt Gargoyle wrote:I am not saying you cannot mix the DNA and push it through the cloning chamber, I am just thinking you would have made an Zentraedi. Perhaps a weaker version. One who you would have to program with skills and knowledge. otherwise you would have a cute little baby Zentraedi which would still be to young for the OPs original question.

From the look of things, in Robotech the "cloning chamber" is an artificial womb of sorts... and the clones actually have to be grown to adulthood in it. (We see a growing fetus in the chamber in "Love and War".)

It's a pretty big departure from the original, wherein the chambers could crank out a new body in under half an hour... fully grown, with a downloaded personality/memories.

Lt Gargoyle
Champion

Seto Kaiba wrote:
Lt Gargoyle wrote:Its why i said its a GM call. But the humans in macross era of Robotech do not have a full grasp on alien technology.

That's true for pretty much any era of Robotech...

yea It is, And since i am discussing Robotech, i will use Robotech and not Macross.

Seto Kaiba wrote:
Lt Gargoyle wrote:Well whatever the reason the SDF-1 was not ripped apart as the pods tore through it and exited the top of the hull, its primary purpose was that the humans did not completely understand the technology yet.

In Robotech, yes... the reason was rather different in the original.
[/quote]

Yea.

Seto Kaiba wrote:
Lt Gargoyle wrote:I am not saying you cannot mix the DNA and push it through the cloning chamber, I am just thinking you would have made an Zentraedi. Perhaps a weaker version. One who you would have to program with skills and knowledge. otherwise you would have a cute little baby Zentraedi which would still be to young for the OPs original question.

From the look of things, in Robotech the "cloning chamber" is an artificial womb of sorts... and the clones actually have to be grown to adulthood in it. (We see a growing fetus in the chamber in "Love and War".)

It's a pretty big departure from the original, wherein the chambers could crank out a new body in under half an hour... fully grown, with a downloaded personality/memories.
[/quote]

Yea sadly I have not watched love and war yet. After the shadow chronicles i did not really want to be disappointed again.

ShadowLogan
Palladin

Lt. Gargoyle wrote:Yea sadly I have not watched love and war yet. After the shadow chronicles i did not really want to be disappointed again.

Canon Comic Mini-Series (non animation) since the reboot:
From the Stars
Invasion (Side story: Mars Base One)
Love & War (Side Story: Little White Dragon)
Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles

Canon Animation post85ep since the reboot:
-The Shadow Chronicles
-Love Live Alive
Lt Gargoyle
Champion

ShadowLogan wrote:
Lt. Gargoyle wrote:Yea sadly I have not watched love and war yet. After the shadow chronicles i did not really want to be disappointed again.

Canon Comic Mini-Series (non animation) since the reboot:
From the Stars
Invasion (Side story: Mars Base One)
Love & War (Side Story: Little White Dragon)
Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles

Canon Animation post85ep since the reboot:
-The Shadow Chronicles
-Love Live Alive

Sorry I meant love live alive (which i have)
I have the prelude comics
From the stars 1 -6
I have read the invasion comics awhile ago.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”