Where did the new mecha come from?

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

thorr-kan
Adventurer

Where did the new mecha come from?

Unread post by thorr-kan »

I'm familiar with the ASC power armor being misinterpeted as battloids in 1ED.

But where do the two new Valkyries (VF-1R and VEF-1) come from? For that matter, there are references to the VE-1E Loki; typo?

What's the source for the Devestator and the Silverback? (I'm passingly familiar with the Protoculture Addicts Cyclone and the Shadowdancer.)
I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
-The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/ ... challenge/
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: Where did the new mecha come from?

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

they appeared in the background of various scenes. the VEF-1 shows up in some pan shots as a VF-1 with a radome, obviously a sensor vehicle. many of the details and the art is based on original macross development materials. as for references to another name? probably typo or missed edition.. originally the VEF-1 was going to be called something else by the author, to avoid problems with the official OSM name, but he was overruled. thus why it's called the VEF-1 "funny chinese" (evidently due to how in battloid mode the radome is over it's head like a giant hat.. evidently the macross creators thought it looked like a negative-stereotypical Chinese farmer.. )

the VF-1R shows up in one of the last macross era episodes. it was probably originally an animation error (it was a VF with a head that featured from both the -1A and the -1J) but HG latched onto it to create a new variant, which they established in their supplemental materials as being an effort to modernize the VF-1 after the rain of death.

the silverback appeared in the wildstorm comic series "prelude the shadow chronicles" where it played a part in the attack on Optera. (this is where the bioroid interceptor came from as well)

the "devestator" was a fan creation based on the piecing together of various concept elements from MOSPEADA's development.. the devestator appeared in a fan magazine, and grew to have a following by the fans. though sometimes i suspect many of those fans didn't realize it wasn't official art.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

VF-1R appears in the animation in Ep32 "Broken Heart".

The VEF-1 appears in Ep27 "Force of Arms".

The Silverback is from the Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles Graphic Novel/Comic series. We only see it in vehicle mode (one config) in the story, but the extras in the GN show alt modes/configs.

The VR-057 Super Cyclone , aka "Devestator", in the TSC book can be seen in The Shadow Chronicles OVA as the Cyclone Vince Grant pilots, while Scott Bernard is left with a standard VR-052. The "Devestator" name has been connected with other Cyclone designs previously (IINM it also is assigned to a different cyclone variant in "Invasion" video game, on top of the fan design).
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

thorr-kan wrote:But where do the two new Valkyries (VF-1R and VEF-1) come from?

The VF-1R Valkyrie is based on an animation error in the 32nd episode of Super Dimension Fortress Macross, in which a VF-1A was mistakenly drawn with a VF-1J's laser configuration. Tommy Yune made his own line art that had the same basic configuration, and it was added to Robotech: Battlecry to pad the game out.

The "VEF-1 Electronic Attacker" does not appear in any Robotech animation or comic book. It is a Palladium-made design that was apparently inspired by the VEFR-1 Electronic Warfare Valkyrie, which briefly appears in Macross episode 27. I suspect Palladium had to come up with a new design because the line art was not included in the series basic design packets and has thus far only been published in two sources, neither of which Harmony Gold has any legal access to.

thorr-kan wrote:For that matter, there are references to the VE-1E Loki; typo?

Probably. Where is that in the game books?

I suspect it'd probably meant to be an earlier name for what became the VEF-1, based on the designation of the design the VEFR-1 was replaced by in Macross: Do You Remember Love?: the VE-1 ELINT Seeker.

thorr-kan wrote:What's the source for the Devestator and the Silverback? (I'm passingly familiar with the Protoculture Addicts Cyclone and the Shadowdancer.)

The Silverback is an original design created by Tommy Yune for Robotech: Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles.

The VR-057 "Devastator" Super Cyclone is a design created for the Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles movie. It's loosely based on a rejected heavy weapons Ride Armor design study from the development of the original Genesis Climber MOSPEADA.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Seto wrote:The VR-057 "Devastator" Super Cyclone is a design created for the Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles movie. It's loosely based on a rejected heavy weapons Ride Armor design study from the development of the original Genesis Climber MOSPEADA.

Per Art of TSC entry on the Cyclone in question, "Devastator" is a series of Cyclones that also include VR-055.
thorr-kan
Adventurer

Unread post by thorr-kan »

Seto Kaiba wrote:
thorr-kan wrote:For that matter, there are references to the VE-1E Loki; typo?

Probably. Where is that in the game books?

No book with me, so no pages. But VE-1E Loki is referenced in the electronic warfare section of the Stalker. VE-1E is also referenced in the EWO MOS for the Technical Officer. Both are in the Macross book.

I just think an shapeshifting ELINT fighter named Loki is HILARIOUS.
I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
-The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/ ... challenge/
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

thorr-kan wrote:No book with me, so no pages. But VE-1E Loki is referenced in the electronic warfare section of the Stalker. VE-1E is also referenced in the EWO MOS for the Technical Officer. Both are in the Macross book.

Ah, OK... yeah, that's probably meant to be what was called the VEF-1 in the final version of the book. Likely they decided not to use the DYRL?-style designation of VE-1, and went with something closer to the designation of the series design they didn't use.

thorr-kan wrote:I just think an shapeshifting ELINT fighter named Loki is HILARIOUS.

Wouldn't be the first time something like that happened... one of the postwar VF-1 Valkyrie upgrade variants that is discussed in the Variable Fighter Master File: VF-1 Valkyrie Vol.2: "Space Wing" book is the VF-1P Freyja Valkyrie, which was a product of the performance improvement/service life extension "Slepnir Program".
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”