ASC MOS Question

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

thorr-kan
Adventurer

ASC MOS Question

Unread post by thorr-kan »

ASC characters gets an MOS from list and can chose a supplementary one chosen from a specified list. The Fast Learner General Aptitude gets to pick an additional MOS. Is the Fast Learner MOS limited to the primary list, the supplementary list, or *any* MOS?

Expanding the question, what about OCCs that don't use MOSs, such as Civilians or New Generation OCCs?

(I know what I'd do; I'm looking for discussion.)
I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
-The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/ ... challenge/
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Re: ASC MOS Question

Unread post by Tiree »

First we need to understand Fast Learner, and where it comes from.

Fast Learner comes from TSC. TSC has set defined MOS's per OCC. This means that Fast Learner is only related to the OCC List. As to the question of which list, I would say in most cases they are one and the same. Looking at the TC as a base, and not wanting someone to take two Special Forces MOS, I would direct you to the Secondary list.

For your Expanded Question: OCC's that don't use the MOS system - I don't use them. I find the ones from New Generation to be horrid. They don't conform with the OCC/MOS system found in previous books. They don't fit. But the if I'm not mistaken (and I could be easily), the Urchin has a Fast Learner capabilities built into the class. I would use that as a replacement if no MOS is available.
thorr-kan
Adventurer

Unread post by thorr-kan »

Tiree wrote:First we need to understand Fast Learner, and where it comes from.

Fast Learner comes from TSC. TSC has set defined MOS's per OCC. This means that Fast Learner is only related to the OCC List. As to the question of which list, I would say in most cases they are one and the same. Looking at the TC as a base, and not wanting someone to take two Special Forces MOS, I would direct you to the Secondary list.

For your Expanded Question: OCC's that don't use the MOS system - I don't use them. I find the ones from New Generation to be horrid. They don't conform with the OCC/MOS system found in previous books. They don't fit. But the if I'm not mistaken (and I could be easily), the Urchin has a Fast Learner capabilities built into the class. I would use that as a replacement if no MOS is available.

OK, how'd I ever let this one slip by?

Fast Learner also shows in Masters Saga. Most of the MOS lists aren't the same, though I see your logic.

And just dug up, from Dead Reign of all places, Fast Learner, which give 1d4+2 Elective skills to OCCs w/o an MOS. So, a possibility, this being a megaversal system, and all.
I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
-The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/ ... challenge/
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

While i Agree with Tiree that the Generations OCCs blow, i do not think they should have MOS skills in the first place. They were not Military soldiers so they would not have that training. And I am all for retired soldiers to pick up arms and fight, but they would be their previous OCC with their MOS selection.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

What about just giving the civilian a Skill's Package like N&SS/HU2E use instead of an MOS. Essentially the MOS is nothing more than a Skill Package anyway.

The Macross SB also has Civilians in them to, just allow them to select a 2nd occupation (without the 2ndary skills or Elective/Other Skills)
Lt Gargoyle
Champion

ShadowLogan wrote:What about just giving the civilian a Skill's Package like N&SS/HU2E use instead of an MOS. Essentially the MOS is nothing more than a Skill Package anyway.

The Macross SB also has Civilians in them to, just allow them to select a 2nd occupation (without the 2ndary skills or Elective/Other Skills)

well I would be willing to let the civilians from Macross SB, play into the other parts of the game. If a player wanted to actually run a civilian. I do not have a problem of them having career skills instead of MOS packages, that suited their civilian lives either.

ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Lt Gargoyle wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:What about just giving the civilian a Skill's Package like N&SS/HU2E use instead of an MOS. Essentially the MOS is nothing more than a Skill Package anyway.

well I would be willing to let the civilians from Macross SB, play into the other parts of the game. If a player wanted to actually run a civilian. I do not have a problem of them having career skills instead of MOS packages, that suited their civilian lives either.

But how would you hand the MOS thing for a civilian OCC with the Fast Learner General Aptitude? Civilians don't get an MOS. So giving them a skill package seems the best solution, but has to be pulled from another line unless we view their various "jobs" as skill packages (which they are basically, though will need to omit the secondary/related skills from the 2nd "MOS")
Lt Gargoyle
Champion

ShadowLogan wrote:
Lt Gargoyle wrote:

But how would you hand the MOS thing for a civilian OCC with the Fast Learner General Aptitude? Civilians don't get an MOS. So giving them a skill package seems the best solution, but has to be pulled from another line unless we view their various "jobs" as skill packages (which they are basically, though will need to omit the secondary/related skills from the 2nd "MOS")

Instead of calling them MOS we call them career packages. We design the packages for them to be exactly that. Career orientated. So a doctor would have skills to practice his trade. If they rolled the fast learner, they could has a second career package. I am thinking its time to add age to the MOS and in the case career package. Since a doctor would be in school and internship for 8+ years.

sirkermittsg
Explorer

Unread post by sirkermittsg »

in my last game, we allowed MOS's from other OCC's the thing to think about is cross training or mid carrier changes. in RL various individuals have over the years attended schools from other branches of the military. the coast guard especially often sends people to navy schools. I would definitely allow military people to use the JOAT / fast learner rules to take a civilian profession for example....I know a great many people that had a carrier before going into the military.....or after leaving it. My grandfather for example pretty much always had a second job while in the military....he drove cab, he owned a resturaunt, was an appliance repair man (each at various times in his life and when off duty)

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”