1st ed Books vs New books

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

GrimmReaper
D-Bee

1st ed Books vs New books

Unread post by GrimmReaper »

New to this forum but not new to Robotech or Rifts. I have recently purchased TSC main book as well as pre order for the UEEF Sourcebook (Haven't got them yet) I have looked at a pdf version though it is said it isn't the full book. My question is I have all or most of the1st ed in paperback are there differences or additions of mecha and or vehicles in the new source books. I love the old books and I am too broke to buy the new ones at this time. So can anyone give me a heads up on what Im missing and where to find stats if they are improved or not. If all else fails email me and if you want thanks.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: 1st ed Books vs New books

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

This comes up every so often.

There are a lot of differences and additions in the new books. The various mecha/equipment from the core setting in 1E (Bk1-5) have seen re-stating and revision when they are covered again. Stats are more in-line power wise with Rifts, and in general the stats are what HG says they are based on the OSM (which personally shouldn't be used to the extent). Skills list has been drastically expanded and overhauled to be compatible with Rifts. OCCs have also been revised, they use an MOS system, but its not like the MOS system in Bk4 of 1E. Skill selection as a result is more limited than in 1E, so you have a lot of "cookie cutter" characters as a result IMHO when OCC/MOS are the same.

TSC book contains the Silverback VT "jeep", Condor Battloid, Conbat Fighter, REF Bioroid Interceptor and an Invid Veritech which are new to the RPG. Condor/Combat are from the show, but the rest are from more recent products that tie into the current RT-verse.

Macross Saga SB doesn't have much "new" per say, most of it just revisions from stuff in BK1-3 in 1E.

Masters Saga SB has the new "light" VHT, the various nt-Battloids in 1E (EBSIS and ASC) have all been revised into ASC nt-Battloids and nt-Power Armor. Starship/shuttles are also revised, and more clear than 1E. EBSIS as an organization is gone.

NG SB and Genesis Pits SB (really could have combined them into one book), fill in the NG equipment that wasn't addressed in the TSC main book that appear in the series, most of which wasn't in 1E. Then you have the Franken Mecha rules and a few examples (which personally seem to violate the spirit of Franken mecha and are just shadowy "new" mecha IMHO), and Invid Experiments (most of which are a bit over powering compared to 1E).
GrimmReaper
D-Bee

Unread post by GrimmReaper »

Cool Thats what I wanted to know. I Ordered TSC in paperback So waiting for it but if they did beef up the mecha to rifts thats awesome I mix the two alot. Had a character playing a a young dragon I decided to fry his ass with plasma missiles. Just to teach him that he wasn't as bad ass as he thought. Thanks for the info though guess i might have to wait an order the others seperately
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Game mechanic wise, 2d edition has a lot more auto dodge bonuses associated with various mecha than 1st edition did. (Invid mecha apparently lost their auto dodge, cyclones are way more refined, and others gained conditional auto dodge...like Zentraedi battle pods, VF-1, Logans, and AJAX while flying...)

2d ed also incorporates data link bonuses from command mecha/ships as well as some really nice quantifiable electronic attack rules from various jamming platforms. I really like that aspect.

It is of note that all the source material either is in the show, the Shadow Chronicles movie, LLA movie, and/or the *Wildstorm* comics. All other comics have been decanonized and Tommy Yune will not allow anything from previous comics or 1st ed RPG to be reprinted in the new game.

The skills are mostly based off of Rifts Ultimate Edition and most mecha are more on par with Rifts as far as damage and MDC is concerned.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”