Robotech Campaign ideas

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Kagashi
Champion

Robotech Campaign ideas

Unread post by Kagashi »

So, we have all been on board the SDF-1 and worked our way to Skull Squadron. We have all piloted hover tanks and defended Earth from the Robotech Masters. We have all conducted asymmetric warfare against the occupying Invid force. Many of us have also liberated Sentinels planets and even cross swords with other humans in the form of Anti-Unification rebels, EBSIS, or Invid sympathizers. Many of us have inevitably found our way to Rifts Earth as well.

So I just described 90% of my Robotech role playing experiences...so what are some other campaigns that break the mold?

Some examples I can think of are:
- A mixed special forces unit of Tirolian and Zentraedi soldiers sent out to the various Sentinels planets (and perhaps smaller mostly unheard of aliens from Aliens Unlimited perhaps) keeping the peace, subduing insurrections, and defending the empire from Invid incursions.
- BEING anti-unification rebels, EBSIS, or Invid sympathizers (depending on the era). Not everybody likes big government, wants to control their own land, or think their current overlords provide enough to survive.
- Defending Earth from a fifth alien invasion (Kittani, Mechanoid, Arkhon, Kreeghor...take your pick).
- Humanity overcomes the latest threat from the Haydonites and becomes THE dominant power of the universe and begins to go down the path of the Robotech Masters, colonizing inhabited planets, growing the flower of life, etc...
- A Splicers situation where a supercomputer declares war on humanity and is on the verge of unleashing a nano-bot plague...
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Re: Robotech Campaign ideas

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

Kagashi wrote:So I just described 90% of my Robotech role playing experiences...so what are some other campaigns that break the mold?

Hmm... actually, the only Robotech campaign I've ever run didn't fit any of those examples.

My one relatively short-lived Robotech play-by-post game was set well apart from the events of the series proper. The players were part of a newly-established fighter squadron that had been assigned to a still-incomplete ARMD-class space carrier, which had "missed" the Zentradi's bombardment of Earth and the entire battle that followed because it had been on a sublight test flight around the moon when the storm finally broke. The players had their own problems to deal with, and generally stayed out of events from the TV series itself... fighting various Zentradi stragglers and so on, but we never resolved the story because the players found the Macross II RPG and decided they liked the designs and such from that a lot more.

The resulting Macross II: Lovers Again RPG took on a life of its own and lasted a whopping SEVEN YEARS as a play-by-post game. It was glorious... the best experience I've ever had as a GM. That was pretty much THE factor that got me translating Japanese source material, updating the RPG, and finding the continuation novels, prequels, and all that other stuff.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

Seto Kaiba wrote:
Kagashi wrote:So I just described 90% of my Robotech role playing experiences...so what are some other campaigns that break the mold?

Hmm... actually, the only Robotech campaign I've ever run didn't fit any of those examples.

My one relatively short-lived Robotech play-by-post game was set well apart from the events of the series proper. The players were part of a newly-established fighter squadron that had been assigned to a still-incomplete ARMD-class space carrier, which had "missed" the Zentradi's bombardment of Earth and the entire battle that followed because it had been on a sublight test flight around the moon when the storm finally broke. The players had their own problems to deal with, and generally stayed out of events from the TV series itself... fighting various Zentradi stragglers and so on, but we never resolved the story because the players found the Macross II RPG and decided they liked the designs and such from that a lot more.

The resulting Macross II: Lovers Again RPG took on a life of its own and lasted a whopping SEVEN YEARS as a play-by-post game. It was glorious... the best experience I've ever had as a GM. That was pretty much THE factor that got me translating Japanese source material, updating the RPG, and finding the continuation novels, prequels, and all that other stuff.

Ok, know I want to know more about that campaign.
parkhyun
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by parkhyun »

There's the Mauve Squadron setting I developed by accident. Look at the Mauve Squadron thread, the thread on Morlocks, and Paranoia With Veritechs.
tobefrnk
Adventurer

Unread post by tobefrnk »

Here are two of my more approacahble campaigns.

The Betrayal of Zor: It took place in the past in Master's Empire. The players were Zentraedi or Tirolians loyal to Zor. They were much of the combat was against Invid, rouge factions, "keeping the peace" between the Sentinels worlds. The heavy character roleplaying involved them keeping their cover, recruitment to the cause of Zor, eventually leading to the stealing of the Matrix/SDF-1.

Enemy of My Enemy: The SDF-2 wasn't the only ship the UEDF was constructing. There was also another Super Dimensional Fortress under construction on the moon. This SDF-1 class vessel, while not nearly as complete as the SDF-2, it was far enough along to be rushed to a suitable flight and combat status. Christened the SDF-Bushido, she served as part of the Pioneer Mission to find the Tirol. During the search, the Bushido would come across a possible lead to the Disciples of Zor. The Bushido's mission would then change to trying to follow the leads and track down the Disciples of Zor.
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Alpha 11 wrote:Ok, know I want to know more about that campaign.

Which one?

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

The PbP Macross era game I started back in 2006 'shadowed' the last few episodes of the Macross Saga.....

The characters were stationed on Breetai's flagship in orbit above Earth. The characters encountered part of a Zent Fleet that arrived in Sol System. Some were captured after the first encountered with this Zent fleet and ended up on the Robotech Factory. Those who were not captured boarded a Zent Scout ship (from the same fleet) and retrieved it's navigation data (which had the location of said Robotech Factory).

The characters were then part of the operation to capture the Robotech Factory and with intel provided by a Zent defector (a player who actually killed a few other PC's but realized she was working for the wrong side) the PC's rescued some of their captured comrades and prevented a Zent warlord from gaining control of the Robotech Factory via an auxiliary command center. Unfortunately the players were unable to kill the Zent Warlord and he escaped from the Robotech Factory taking with him several Zent ships there were stored there.

The last finale had the PC's participating in a massive space battle that took place at the same time Khyron attacked the SDF-1. In my Robotech universe the SDF-2 was not positioned back to back with the SDF-1 (if it really WAS we would have seen the SDF-2 in the TV show). Instead the SDF-2 was in orbit and on her way to link up with the SDF-1.

The PC's managed to prevent the SDF-2 from being destroyed in orbit (although two PC's had to sacrifice themselves to do so), but Breetai's flagship was destroyed.

Anyhow the campaign lasted about 4 years.....and the player are currently in their second campaign set on Earth.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

Seto Kaiba wrote:
Alpha 11 wrote:Ok, know I want to know more about that campaign.

Which one?

The 7 year one.
Seto Kaiba
Knight

Alpha 11 wrote:The 7 year one.

Ah... probably better to cover that one via PM, since that was Macross II rather than Robotech.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

this forum is still home to macross II RPG stuff, even if it is no longer supported game. so unless you start posting game stats or something , i think you'd be safe discussing it.

though if you want to go in to a lot of detail, a dedicated thread might be in order, to avoid cluttering up this one.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Of The Funk
D-Bee

Unread post by Of The Funk »

One of the 1E adventure books had a section on Mecha Su-Dai, where people of the New Generation era use old mecha for gladiatorial combat. Unless they were full-sized Zentraedi - then they just waltzed into the ring all by themselves. That always sounded like a fun idea to me. I think they even talked briefly about the idea of making it the main thrust of a campaign, instead of just an amusing detour.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

jedi078 wrote:The PbP Macross era game I started back in 2006 'shadowed' the last few episodes of the Macross Saga.....

The characters were stationed on Breetai's flagship in orbit above Earth. The characters encountered part of a Zent Fleet that arrived in Sol System. Some were captured after the first encountered with this Zent fleet and ended up on the Robotech Factory. Those who were not captured boarded a Zent Scout ship (from the same fleet) and retrieved it's navigation data (which had the location of said Robotech Factory).

The characters were then part of the operation to capture the Robotech Factory and with intel provided by a Zent defector (a player who actually killed a few other PC's but realized she was working for the wrong side) the PC's rescued some of their captured comrades and prevented a Zent warlord from gaining control of the Robotech Factory via an auxiliary command center. Unfortunately the players were unable to kill the Zent Warlord and he escaped from the Robotech Factory taking with him several Zent ships there were stored there.

The last finale had the PC's participating in a massive space battle that took place at the same time Khyron attacked the SDF-1. In my Robotech universe the SDF-2 was not positioned back to back with the SDF-1 (if it really WAS we would have seen the SDF-2 in the TV show). Instead the SDF-2 was in orbit and on her way to link up with the SDF-1.

The PC's managed to prevent the SDF-2 from being destroyed in orbit (although two PC's had to sacrifice themselves to do so), but Breetai's flagship was destroyed.

Anyhow the campaign lasted about 4 years.....and the player are currently in their second campaign set on Earth.

That sounded fun. I like how the SDF-2 made a presence in the game. Did you just assume the same stats for the SDF-2 as the published SDF-1? Or did you beef up the stats like the "japanimation" notes described the SDF-2 being bigger than the SDF-1? Ive always assumed the SDF-2 was airborne/spaceborne (otherwise...not by the SDF-1) when it was destroyed as well...wreckage then taken back to what would be known as Reflex Point.

tobefrnk wrote:Here are two of my more approacahble campaigns.

The Betrayal of Zor: It took place in the past in Master's Empire. The players were Zentraedi or Tirolians loyal to Zor. They were much of the combat was against Invid, rouge factions, "keeping the peace" between the Sentinels worlds. The heavy character roleplaying involved them keeping their cover, recruitment to the cause of Zor, eventually leading to the stealing of the Matrix/SDF-1.

Enemy of My Enemy: The SDF-2 wasn't the only ship the UEDF was constructing. There was also another Super Dimensional Fortress under construction on the moon. This SDF-1 class vessel, while not nearly as complete as the SDF-2, it was far enough along to be rushed to a suitable flight and combat status. Christened the SDF-Bushido, she served as part of the Pioneer Mission to find the Tirol. During the search, the Bushido would come across a possible lead to the Disciples of Zor. The Bushido's mission would then change to trying to follow the leads and track down the Disciples of Zor.

Those are cool too.
Updated Aug 2015
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

Kagashi wrote:
That sounded fun. I like how the SDF-2 made a presence in the game. Did you just assume the same stats for the SDF-2 as the published SDF-1? Or did you beef up the stats like the "japanimation" notes described the SDF-2 being bigger than the SDF-1? Ive always assumed the SDF-2 was airborne/spaceborne (otherwise...not by the SDF-1) when it was destroyed as well...wreckage then taken back to what would be known as Reflex Point.

The SDF-2 was just a backdrop and it only fired it's main gun once or twice. I had four player groups running during that last big battle. I am working on converting the campaign over to RPG Tactics.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
parkhyun
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by parkhyun »

Check these out and consider trying it for your next campaign. I'd really love to hear how it turned out:

http://www.palladium-megaverse.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=141923

http://www.palladium-megaverse.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=143422

http://www.palladium-megaverse.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=145053

Never really tried pbp, but I'd seriously consider it to do this.
Lorindor
D-Bee

Unread post by Lorindor »

I have an adventure that I’ve had in my mind for a long time but have not been able to play yet. It’s not the typical kind of adventure, I guess.

Basically, it’s based on some parts of the original script for Robotech: The Untold Story, the one that was set during Macross Saga with Rick Hunter’s cousin as the main character. The players would be regular civilians, but have relatives on Macross Island. When the government covers up the disappearance of the island, blaming it on an Anti-Unification League terrorist attack, the players start investing this conspiracy. I haven’t had it all planned out, but they would come across and deal with an AUL terrorist cell, find them sneaking into a UEDF research lab, and eventually find out the truth about the alien invasion.

I want the players to face a moral and ideological dilemma and choose a path for themselves. Do they stand on the side of idealistic unification or do they believe in nationalistic superiority? Both the UEDF and AUL surely use questionable methods, so the question is of course, do the end justify the means?

In the end, I see it be more of a hard-boiled techno thriller actually, probably with a few shootouts and chase scenes here and there. But no mecha battles, which must be kind of unique, isn’t it? :p
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

You could even tell the players it is going to be a ninjas and superspies, BTS2, or HU2 game to get them to think "SDC". Then start throwing in the Robotech elements. BTS2 and Dead Reign have excellent "civilian OCC" sections in them.

You could tell them there was recently a series of wars across the globe and there is now a push for a global government for some reason, but avoid from referring to it as its Robotech name (UEG)
Updated Aug 2015
Lorindor
D-Bee

Unread post by Lorindor »

Kagashi: Yeah, actually, if I ever get a chance to play this adventure, it will most likely be with players that do not know much about Robotech. And I might not tell them it's based on Robotech, because that may just scare them away. :p But because of this, I hope they get genuinly shocked when they stumble upon a giant robot or perhaps some kind of Zentradi specimen, like a preserved giant skull in a tank. :D
The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

We had one (first edition) set in Europe after the Invid Invasion. A group of human grown zentraedi/tyrolian style clones who were programed after earth's great conquerors. Alexander, Attila (Taffy), Beo-Wulf, Harold, Genghis, Katherine, Richard, Ivan, Napoleon, Ra-Moses, Darrius, and several of our other clone brothers and a few sisters. We PCs woke up in a room in Lyons France, and were immediately thrust into a war between survivor groups. We slowly recovered the city, then built an army, fought our siblings for control of Europe and eventually Africa, and forced the Regis to back off to the Americas or we'd detonate sufficient atomic weapons to blot out the sun for a decade and irradiate the earth killing all of the rest of the FoL. Because if Attila can't have it, BURN. Alexander was a far, far greater enemy then the Regis.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
Devjannz
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Devjannz »

I had an adventure I came up with a while back (before the Shadow Chronicles came out) where I brought in a old Palladium Books bad guy to put the Robotech team up against: The Mechanoids. Here is the little overview I wrote for it:

"Years ago the Tirolian Empire became locked in a deadly conflict with a small group of invaders from another galaxy. The invaders came without warning and seemingly without reason. They were known as the Mechanoids, a race of cybernetic life forms who along with advanced technologies, had vast psychic abilities at their disposal and were dedicated to the complete and total eradication of all human and humanoid life in the universe. In the early stages of the conflict, the Mechanoids seemed to overwhelm the Tirolians with their powerful psychic abilities, ferocity and insane hatred of humanoid life forms. The Mechanoids would often win a battle by using their psychic powers to take control of the Tirolian battle craft and making them turn on and attack their own forces.

The turning point in the conflict came through the creation of the science of Robotechnology by the Tirolian scientist Zor, made possible by his discovery of a unique energy source which he called Protoculture. It seemed that when a Robotech device was powered by Protoculture Energy, the energy created a psychic bond between it and the mind of pilot and acted as a shield to the psychic abilities of the Mechanoids. This allowed the Tirolians to not only create advanced military battlesuits called Bioroids, but when they combined it with the knowledge of genetic engineering that they had gained from studying captured Mechanoids, it allowed them to create the Zentraedi Military Force. The Zentraedi were a genetically-engineered race of 50ft humanoid giants, armed with advanced Robotech weapons. They would serve as guardians for the Tirolians (who now called themselves the Robotech Masters). The combination of the advances made through Robotechnology and the almost zealot-like devotion to victory that the Zentraedi were programmed with allowed them to defeat the Mechanoids and seemingly eradicate this fearsome foe from the galaxy.

Soon after the war with the Mechanoids had ended a new conflict began. The race called the Invid (from whom the secrets of Protoculture were stolen) attacked the Robotech Masters in retaliation for the destruction of their homeworld, Optera. The conflict with the Mechanoids was quickly forgotten as the Masters focused their attention on their new enemy. When a research facility that housed some of the captured Mechanoids was attacked by the Invid, the Tirolian personnel were forced to flee. One scientist stayed behind to make sure that the captured Mechanoids did not escape. To insure that none of the Mechanoids escaped, they were kept unconscious and placed in stasis in the deepest levels of the facility. All records of their existence were wiped out for fear that someone would attempt to use them and their technology against the Masters. The upper levels of the facility were to be set for self-destruction, but the scientist was killed by an Invid Scout before he could set of the explosives. The facility has remained abandoned all this time waiting for the return of the Robotech Masters. That is until a team of REF Scientists came and took the specimans back to their own base. Little did they know what they ahd brought back with them or what the concequences of those actions might be.

Now a group of REF Military Personnel have come in response to a distress call from the base. What the team sent in to investigate will find when they get there is yet to be seen"
"Hurry, were running out of time!"

"Cannot run out of time. There is infinite time. You are finite; Zathras is finite; This....is wrong tool.

Susan Ivonnova and Zathras, Babylon 5 'War Without End'
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

We had a lost Zentradi fleet from a few hundred years back, old school gear, got cut off from the armada and forgotten (with a 4+ million ships, how could this NOT happen?)...they, well...they took over a few solar systems and over the course of a few hundred years started to develop culture (after a civil war that nearly wiped them out). They bounced back, started having babies, and learned to repair their tech.

They became truly terrifying.

We found them with our third generation group and they had 300 MDC regults with automated attack bits. Their power armors were waaaaaay worse. Especially the quadranos. it was basically a clearing house for our old characters, no original character survived that campaign.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”