Board index » MDC Worlds » Rifts®

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:10 pm

Knight

Comment: Eat More Chicken
The Rifts RPG is host to countless languages thanks to the many alien beings that inhabit it, nevermind the many languages of humanity alone. I am attempting to compile a list of all of the languages in Rifts so that characters who claim to be linguists have as large a selection as possible available to them.

Feel free to point out languages that I miss and I will edit them in after a quick confirmation. All languges are listed in alphabetical order and double entries (like Dragonese/Elven) will be listed twice. I think many of the entries will come from obscure R.C.C.'s. As such, languages restricted to singular or a very few races will be listed in italics. Languages known to singular races but which can be spoken by other races are listed normally. Language names that actually represent a group of distinct languages and are not actual dialects in their own right are listed in green. The member languages of such language groups are usually mutually intelligible (meaning that they can understand each other, if only barely), but when selecting these languages you should do a little research, pick a specific member language, and apply standard dialect penalties when conversing with other sub-languages within the overall group.

Occassionally a language will show up in the books that contradicts the setting and seemingly has no rhyme or reason. Such languages will be listed in red.

REAL LANGUAGES (of importance)
Afrikaans
Akan
Algonquian (includes Algonquin, Blackfoot, Cheyenne, Mahican, and many others)
Amharic
Arabic
Arawakan
Azteca/Nahuatl
Babylonian
Bantu
Berber
Caddoan (includes Pawnee and Wichita)
Cariban
Chichewa
Chinese
Creole
Egyptian
English
Farsi/Persian
French
Fula
Ge
German
Greek
Hausa
Hindi
Ibibio
Igbo
Iroquoian (includes Cherokee, Mohawk, Seneca, and many more)
Inuit
IsiNdebele
IsiXhosa
IsiZulu
Japanese
K'iche' Mayan (listed as Quiche Mayan in Pantheons of the Megaverse)
Kinyarwanda
Kiowa-Tanoan
Kirundi
Kongo
Korean
Malagasy
Mongolian
Muskogean (includes Creek, Seminole)
Nahuatl/Azteca
Old Norse
Olmec
Oromo
Paiute/Ute
Penutian (includes Nez Perce and others)
Persian/Farsi
Portuguese
Proto-Celtic
Pygmy
Quechua
Russian
Salishan (includes Flathead)
Sango
Sepedi
Sesotho
Setswana
Siouan (includes Sioux, Lakota, Winnebago, and many more)
Siswati
Somali
Southern Athabaskan (includes Apache, Kiowa Apache (but not Kiowa!), Navajo, etc)
Spanish
Swahili
Swazi
Tigrinya
Toltec
Tshivenda
Tupian
Ukrainian
Ute/Paiute
Uto-Aztecan (includes Nahuatl/Azteca, Shoshone, and many smaller languages)
Xitsonga
Yoruba
Zulu

FICTIONAL LANGUAGES (if based on a real language, that language appears in parenthesis)
Aboriginal (could be any of countless Australian Aborigine languages)
Adoran
Agogwe
Amaki
American / Australian / Trade Tongue 4 (English)
Arkhon
Ashada
Avian (chirps, whistles, a similar sounds that beaked-mouth speakers can follow)
Atlantean (Ancient Greek)
Australian / American / Trade Tongue 4 (English)
Blucie
Canadian (found in Rifts Arzno and listed distinctly from American, this might be French)
Crab Warrior
Dakir Common
Demongogian
Dolphin/Whale
Dragonese/Elven
Dwarven
Elven/Dragonese
Elemental
Euro (composite blend of Russian, German, and Polish)
Faerie Bot
Faerie Speak (related to Dragonese)
Giantese/Troll
Gobblely
Gosai
Gromek
Hawrkin
Iktec
Kaejor
Kittani
Kreeghor
Kremin
Krog
Kwarla
Lanotaur
Larhold
Lizard Man
Lyn-Srial
Lyvorrkian
Maxpary
Mokoloi
M'Raghiile
Mucker
Necrol
N'mbyr
N'retan
Nunnehi
Obsedai
Ogre
Pogtalian
Posluznik
Promethean
Pucara ("Pucara" is Quechua for "Fortress", so this may be related to the Incan language)
Quorian
Roane
Shadow People (related to Faerie Speak and Dragonese)
Shaydorian
Simvan
Spinne (German)
Splugorth (appears in Rifts Sourcebook One, but not even the Splugorth speak Splugorth - this language has been listed distinct from both Atlantean and Dragonese, the two languages that the Splugorth and their minions do use the most)
Techno-Can (written programming language, possibly related to languages like SmallTalk and/or a higher level UML-style code documentation)
Thin Ones
Thumper TK-Pulse
Tirrvol
Tokanii
Trade Tongue 1
Trade Tongue 2
Trade Tongue 3 / Wolfen
Trade Tongue 4 / American / Australian (English)
Trade Tongue 5
Trade Tongue 6
Tree People
Troll/Giantese
Vallax
Were-Dragon
Whale/Dolphin
Wolfen / Trade Tongue 3
Xiticix

Notes: Yes, there is a very similar post in the Palladium Q & A forum which was getting no attention whatsoever. My initial list comes from truding through the Rifts main book, Atlantis, Splynn Dimensional Market, Rifts D-Bees of North America, Rifts Dimension Book Two: Phase World, and the Rifts Conversion Book One as well as recollections from a smattering of other books (such as remembering that the Mechanoids knew the Kittani language). Please help me build this list. Note that the existance of an R.C.C. is not sufficient for them to have their own language in this list. The language must be stated to exist somewhere. For example, Bruutosaurs have adopted Spanish and God-only-knows what their original language was, hence there is no Bruutosaur entry here.

In the case of real languages, I check all entries against Wikipedia for accuracy. Hence "Celtic" was altered to be "Proto-Celtic", etc.

Last edited by Zerebus on Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:20 pm, edited 24 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:17 am

Champion

Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?
where is Gaelic?

I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:27 am

Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.
Why is Arabic important? I don't recall it being mentioned, except, maybe, in the description of the one Muslim NPC.

All Palladium Articles
Two Tales of Tellene

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:33 am

Knight

Mark Hall wrote:
Why is Arabic important? I don't recall it being mentioned, except, maybe, in the description of the one Muslim NPC.

Uh... this list started as a multi-game list. For Rifts, Arabic has yet to be significant. I'll strike it from the list. I was actually thinking of the Persian gods from Rifts: Pantheons of the Megaverse. However, that'd be Persian/Farsi, not Arabic. As it is, though, the gods in that section magically speak all languages so there's just no point.

csbioborg wrote:
where is Gaelic?

Where is Gaellic used? I skimmed over Rifts England but didn't see it.

EDIT: I added Persian/Farsi because of the Persian pantheon and the presence of Angrar Robotics. While they don't have to use it, it's their real world ethnic origin so it's worth listing.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:13 am

Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.
Zerebus wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:

Uh... this list started as a multi-game list. For Rifts, Arabic has yet to be significant. I'll strike it from the list. I was actually thinking of the Persian gods from Rifts: Pantheons of the Megaverse. However, that'd be Persian/Farsi, not Arabic. As it is, though, the gods in that section magically speak all languages so there's just no point.

Ok. Just making sure I hadn't missed anything.

All Palladium Articles
Two Tales of Tellene

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:05 pm

Comment: on a death march
As luck would have it, I was going through Rifts South America 1 the other day, and noticed this on page 145:

"Four main languages are spoken by the humans: Awarak, Cariban, Ge and Tupian. Creole is used as a universal trade language between tribes and used to communicate with strangers"

It also says they speak Spanish. So that's five more languages to add to your list, depending on how obscure you want to get.

follow me on tumblr: http://nileskane.tumblr.com/

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:44 pm

Knight

Good eye.

I'm looking at these languages and trying to figure out which ones are real and which ones are not. You never can be sure with this game.

Creole is real.
Tupian is a language group.
Cariban is another language group.
Ge was hard to find, but it's mentioned at the bottom of the Cariban article.

And then Awarak.... is not spelled correctly in the book. The language is Arawakan.

Consider them all added.

EDIT: I wish I could explode all the language groups out, but for now I'm afraid that would flood the list... I'm going to add terminology for language groups instead.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:44 pm

Adventurer

You forgot Ukrainian

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:47 pm

Knight

vampire_hunter_D wrote:
You forgot Ukrainian

Don't get me started.

Ahem.

I just added a number of "major" native american language families that I could readily find online. Listing individual languages would basically be just reproducing the tribe lists found in Spirit West. Instead, I hope I've pointed out how a lot of those tribes have related languages.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:15 pm

Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.
There is also the language that the Cetaceans (Dolphins and such) use, as well as non-magical Whale Songs.

Source: Underseas

~ Josh

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:37 pm

Knight

Dolphin/Whale is listed as a single language.... And races like the Horune and Naut'yll don't have languages of their own that I can find.

See page 52 of Rifts Underseas for proof of Dolphin/Whale.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:53 pm

Rifts® Trivia Master

in regards to techno-can, IIRC it is said to double as a programming language. which means "L33T" can't be it.

i suspect this kind of thing is more likely. i can just see a bunch of cityrats sitting in front of terminals, chatting in computer code while their non-techno-can speaking friends sit nearby with blank looks on their faces.

likewise euro is said to be a mixture of german, polish, and some others. German shows up as it's own language in the NGR citizen basic skill set.

* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Last edited by glitterboy2098 on Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:54 pm

Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!
Zerebus wrote:
vampire_hunter_D wrote:
You forgot Ukrainian

Don't get me started.

Whats wrong with Ukranian? There are examples of its existence in the Russia books. Its more of a dialect than a language, but I would say that there are enough differences to list it. My mom speaks it, since she emigrated from the Ukraine and her mother was Ukranian (father was russian but they spoke ukranian at home) and my sister speaks russian since that is what she studied in school.

Ninjabunny wrote:
You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote:
The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:
Because DINOSAURS.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:57 pm

Knight

Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt
Have you thought about doing something like Language groups ala Hero System - Hero Games.

I love their language chart, and it shows relationships between languages and similar languages. Each offshoot would be additional skill penalties for understanding (or in Hero makes it easier to learn). Just a thought.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:21 pm

Knight

In no particular order:

Techno-Can as SmallTalk? I hate SmallTalk. And by that I mean I DESPISE SmallTalk! I do not support attempts to unify the perfection of well written code with the vagaries of English grammar. But yes, I'll remove the 1337 stuff.

Nothing is wrong with Ukrainean. I just haven't gotten around to that side of the planet yet. I once had a character rolled up under Ninjas and Superspies that spoke on the order of 16 languages, including Ukrainean and other languages from that region. I learned a lot about Turkish languages while making that character.

Regarding the Hero system, I'd rather not reinvent the wheel just yet (or in this case bootstrap a wheel onto an axel that wasn't built for it). There are already dialect penalties in the language skill description. These penalties can be switched to bonuses when learning a related language.

EDIT: I've made adjustments. Techno-Can, from my perspective, would probably be a SmallTalk (which I hate) based programming language since you can actually converse in SmallTalk if you absolutely have to. UML is a written way of documenting program structures that also doubles as a standardized system of charting how things work. UML can easily be adapted to mechanical schematics and virtually any other engineering task, making it a good candidate as being part of the Techno-Can language. The hitch is that both SmallTalk and UML are copyrighted and I don't want to get caught in an IP conversion trap. :p

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:51 pm

Knight

Here's an interesting one: Splugorth. Rifts Pantheons of the Megaverse includes the Splugorth language in some of the deity descriptions, notably in Zeus' skill section.

Language: Splugorth, however, has a bit of a problem: the Splugorth don't speak it. The Splugorth R.C.C. specifically lists a series of languages and then states "they use magic to speak to all others". As for the Splugorth minions, their common languages tend to be Dragonese, Atlantean, and Demongogian, in that order of likelihood. So what to do with Language: Splugorth?

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:59 pm

Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.
Zerebus wrote:
Here's an interesting one: Splugorth. Rifts Pantheons of the Megaverse includes the Splugorth language in some of the deity descriptions, notably in Zeus' skill section.

Language: Splugorth, however, has a bit of a problem: the Splugorth don't speak it. The Splugorth R.C.C. specifically lists a series of languages and then states "they use magic to speak to all others". As for the Splugorth minions, their common languages tend to be Dragonese, Atlantean, and Demongogian, in that order of likelihood. So what to do with Language: Splugorth?

Misprint, gaffe, or whatever you'd like to call it.

If you want to turn a blunder into a plot point, you could say that they speak the language that the Splugorth have long since abandoned in favor of more "multi-dimensional tongues." Heck, that may have been what C.J. or Kevin originally intended.

~ Josh

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:26 pm

Knight

I was thinking of making it sort of like a Trade Tongue used between different Splugorth lords' minions for those Splugorth lords on the fringes with minions other than the standard fare of Kydians, Kittani, High Lords, and friends. But that's all noncanonical in an otherwise very canonical list.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:48 am

Knight

I'm afraid to look. How many different dialects of Chinese are used in the two China books?

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:30 pm

lol none.

It lists Literacy: Chinese, and Literacy: Ancient and Classical Chinese, but no languages.

I assume everyone just speaks "Chinese".

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:58 pm

Mandarin Chinese or another dialect?

Ninjabunny wrote:
You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote:

ALAshbaugh wrote:
Because DINOSAURS.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:51 pm

Knight

Hey, if the setting assumes that the Chinese government stomped out everything but Mandarin then at least it simplifies the setting.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:09 pm

It could also be a similar situation like in Europe, where all the languages and dialects coalesced together into a modern Rifts version of "Chinese".

When I run games in China, I have all the demons speak "Ancient Chinese". It's like regular Chinese, but thousands of years older.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:51 pm

Knight

thats a lot of damn languages

The wisdom of Man is foolishness to God and the Wisdom of God is foolishness to Man

We are Jason Richards. Lower your boffer weaponry & defensive devices. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. We will add your role-playing expertise to our own. Your gaming systems will adapt to our own.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:13 pm

Zerebus wrote:
I was thinking of making it sort of like a Trade Tongue used between different Splugorth lords' minions for those Splugorth lords on the fringes with minions other than the standard fare of Kydians, Kittani, High Lords, and friends. But that's all noncanonical in an otherwise very canonical list.

Excellent idea though.

:ok:

~ Josh

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:16 pm

Knight

Ok, added the Rifts Australia languages.

Including those with multiple entries (like American, Dragonese, etc), we've got 58 fictional language entries.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:52 pm

Knight

Just went through Madhaven. I was surprised and disappointed to learn that the Onion Heads didn't speak their own language. I really wanted to have Language: Onion Head as a skill. :p

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:56 pm

I don't see why they wouldn't. It will not cannon until "WB 78: Onion Head Uprising"

Ninjabunny wrote:

Marrowlight wrote:

ALAshbaugh wrote:
Because DINOSAURS.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:11 pm

Knight

Little did anyone suspsect that the final great danger would come from that of the lowly Onion Heads, who year after year sowed the seeds of their breatheren throughout the nearby cabbage patches of the Coaliton States..........

Naruni Wave 2 cleared.
I'm looking at Rifts Africa, page 72 of the original edition. The African witch speaks their own native language, but it doesn't say which ones those could be.

EDIT: Ack! The language section of that book.... this could take a while.

Ok, so Rifts: Africa isn't too specific on what languages survived, so I've listed every official nationalized language in Africa and every language with at least 10 million speakers, plus a smattering of others. That should cover most of the post apocalyptic Rifts Africa, but no doubt there will be some random tribes that speak their own language and can't communicate with outsiders. As for the rest, Rifts Africa points out that a lot of the locals apparently know Euro in addition to their native tongue. There's also a sizeable Chinese speaking population, which raises some interesting questions and sets the groundwork for possible campaigns.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:44 am

Megaversal® Ambassador

Comment: Palladium fan from overseas
From Wb28 Arzno. The Thumper language based on TK pulses. Do you think a psyquic with TK powers could learn it?

I received a *Nekira Seal of Approval*...Once! :P
"always remember; the Splugorth can do anything" - everloss
Sorry for my bad English! :o

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:16 pm

Knight

mobuttu wrote:
From Wb28 Arzno. The Thumper language based on TK pulses. Do you think a psyquic with TK powers could learn it?

They might be able to learn to shout out short phrases, but they'd never be able to receive TK pulse information without the Thumper's feelers. So it'd be a one way conversation at best.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:50 pm

Knight

ACK!

I was just looking at Arzno and the Thumper R.C.C. and decided to comb the rest of the book for language entries. Check out Sir Lunais the Brute's languages, page 152.

Yes, that's right.

Language: Canadian

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:25 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Comment: Just an old dude Gamer (GM and Player) who had the honor of gaming with several great groups of folks over the years.
Good list. Any chance of including Rifts book source & page number references?

Note: there is a similar list here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=35812&hilit=languages

If not overly informative hopefully it was at least mildly amusing. Munchkin Clown Away! <fwoosh... honk, honk>

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:43 pm

Rifter® Contributer

Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"
Zerebus wrote:
In no particular order:

Techno-Can as SmallTalk? I hate SmallTalk. And by that I mean I DESPISE SmallTalk!

I hate small talk too. I just want to skip the date and get straight to the sex. :bandit:

Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:50 pm

Monk

I noted Klingon is missing from both the lists.

Crimson
Eleven
Delight
Petracor

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:27 pm

Rifter® Contributer

Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"
Btw you missed "Cockney" Its a new secret code language used by the slaves in London of Splynn (or Splyndon as we call it) in the world of "Ley Line Drifts" - Rifts

Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:12 pm

Supreme Being

Comment: This space for rent.
random_username wrote:
Good list. Any chance of including Rifts book source & page number references?

Note: there is a similar list here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=35812&hilit=languages

Uhh... compare the date of your post with the one above it.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:36 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Comment: Just an old dude Gamer (GM and Player) who had the honor of gaming with several great groups of folks over the years.
Was hoping that either the original person was still around and might be able to quickly list the sources or someone else might take the list and be able to provide the references.

If not overly informative hopefully it was at least mildly amusing. Munchkin Clown Away! <fwoosh... honk, honk>

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:33 pm

Dungeon Crawler

How about Gullah. It may have died off by the time of the Rifts, but it would be interesting if a party finds a video or something in that language.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:36 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Zerebus wrote:
ACK!

I was just looking at Arzno and the Thumper R.C.C. and decided to comb the rest of the book for language entries. Check out Sir Lunais the Brute's languages, page 152.

Yes, that's right.

Canadian could have evolved from French and English. They could have merged together when people who spoke both started talking.
My mother and I both speak Japanese, but routinely inject English words when we talk.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:34 am

Adventurer

Comment: Ruadh gu brath
ICHIBAN11 wrote:
Zerebus wrote:
ACK!

Yes, that's right.

Canadian could have evolved from French and English. They could have merged together when people who spoke both started talking.
My mother and I both speak Japanese, but routinely inject English words when we talk.

Who's to say it evolved from French and English? Maybe it evolved from Blucie, Grackletooth, and Gobbley? Humans aren't as common as D-Bees in most of western canada.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:35 am

Adventurer

Comment: Ruadh gu brath
And what about Esperanto? It would be a shame if Rifts Earth humans couldn't enjoy the collected works of... William Shatner? Ok, nevermind on the Esperanto.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:27 am

Champion

Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.
Laux the Ogre wrote:
And what about Esperanto? It would be a shame if Rifts Earth humans couldn't enjoy the collected works of... William Shatner? Ok, nevermind on the Esperanto.

In my BTS game I decided Esperanto would be the language vampires use. Of course I run my vampire differently then PB.

Also, I noticed Zentraedi and Tyrolean was left off the list....

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:56 pm

Champion

Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!
Zerebus wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:

csbioborg wrote:
where is Gaelic?

Where is Gaellic used? I skimmed over Rifts England but didn't see it.

EDIT: I added Persian/Farsi because of the Persian pantheon and the presence of Angrar Robotics. While they don't have to use it, it's their real world ethnic origin so it's worth listing.

Gaelic is the "Celtic language", esp. if referring to Scotland or Ireland, if you really want to get technical you can add Welsh and Cornish as well.
You forgot Ancient Egytian ala the Mutant cats in South America, their two Gods speak and read it.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:36 pm

Knight

Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.
I'd like to recommend this thread is made "Sticky", as it is a fantastic resource.

The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:46 pm

Rifts® Trivia Master

any chance we could get this list broken down by geographic region? at the very least, by continent? many of the languages/language groups listed are basically 'tribal' languages of fairly limited geographic scope, so it would be nice to know which ones are from where, to make picking languages for characters easier.

* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:17 pm

Hero

how about ghost speak? (you know for electronic voice phenomina?)

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:26 pm

Rifts® Trivia Master

EVP is usually in a regular language, not its own thing.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:46 pm

Hero

glitterboy2098 wrote:
EVP is usually in a regular language, not its own thing.

maybe on our end....

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:06 pm

Priest

Static is not a language. If it's deliberate distortion meant to conceal true meaning, it would come under Encryption and Scramblers.
A signal that was hashed by static, and is subsequently cleaned up, would either come under the appropriate Language skill(GM's perogative at what penalty, for trying to parse meaning from what few legible words can be made out) or cleared up using a Radio skill to finetune the reception.

For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.