Paladin Steel Storefront

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

taalismn
Priest

Re: Paladin Steel Storefront

Unread post by taalismn »

Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:
taalismn wrote:I've thought about Ice 9 bullets or something similar,,,,
I'd have to use Superpowers, though, and Mad Science to make something along tbose lines...endothermic munitions...
Beyond your usual ice bullets, a nasty endothermic round might be a crystal or substance that GAINS mass and density as it absorbs heat...so shooting somebody with such a substance is a triple threat...the bullet would draw life-sustaining heat from surrounding tissues(necrotizing frostbite), the expanding round would do additional damage to soft tissues, and it would also prevent the wound from healing....extra damage from bloodloss...nasty!

Okay...I've gotta think about this line of engineering...

Yah know, my projectile weapons lines are outstripping the energy types for meanness... :twisted:

I have always thought of projectile weapons as being meaner than energy ones. Apparently some Sci-Fi writers agree, as I recall reading somewhere that some alien civilizations decided that energy weapons were more humane.

Well, considering that we really don't have any practical energy weapons(or solid casualty experience) to provide an adequate comparison...Blindness, spot burns, or slow radiation poisoning(speculative)...yeah, explosive rounds, white phosphorus that burns in wounds(remember the episode of M.A.S.H. where they have to immerse a trace-shot soldier in water, then turn out the lights to extract the bullets?), 'clawed' bullets, and the like(all the accounts of Civil War actions where a cannonball whisks away somebody's arm or leg)...I'd agree with that assessment...
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Nah..I use blinding lasers on the paparazzi...THat is, if the claymore reactive armor on my car doesn't turn them into pizza sauce first...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

So can we pick up some of those APCs for Rift's earth? We at the Federated States are very interested in them. Also we'd like to put in an order with PS for a fair amount of that new incendary ammo.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

gadrin wrote:
taalismn wrote:yeah, explosive rounds, white phosphorus that burns in wounds(remember the episode of M.A.S.H. where they have to immerse a trace-shot soldier in water, then turn out the lights to extract the bullets?), 'clawed' bullets, and the like(all the accounts of Civil War actions where a cannonball whisks away somebody's arm or leg)...I'd agree with that assessment...

I remember when I was little, in Germany (or England) at some AFB (my dad was AF); I was running a 104+ fever (no gunshot wounds) and they gave me the Luke Skywalker treatment, by dunking me in a tank of freezing cold water to break the fever.

Watching Dr Ball MD from the 2nd Robot Chicken Star Wars special, always makes me chuckle :lol: But it works.

>

Ack...That took some careful thinking....too cold, too long, and the poor immersee goes into shock...Not cold enough, and your patient's still slef-immolating....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Cybernetic implant; subdermal insulation weave... :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

Can the PS M2740 ‘Scootie” be equipped with PS Shield options?
Cost would be greater or multi units might be needed.
I hate it when my mind wonders,
Because I have no idea what it will bring back with it.

taalismn says -- Librarians assume the role of scholar-priest-kings in an increasinly illiterate society...

taalismn says -- Abtex...Unofficial archival mole for the fictional arms industry again with the sites that make you blink... :shock: :-D
taalismn
Priest

abtex wrote:Can the PS M2740 ‘Scootie” be equipped with PS Shield options?

:shock: Sure...why not?
Though if you're going to be driving through blazing infernos, I suggest extra-heavy tires and heat-shielding the entire vehicle...

I just have this image of a little four-wheel scootie looking like a mini-Roman phalanx or Viking ship with shields lining its sides... :fool:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Veritas476
Adventurer

Unread post by Veritas476 »

I can't remember. Is Paladin Steel a multi-dimensional company? If so we at Wildstorm Industries might have some business for them.
taalismn
Priest

Veritas476 wrote:I can't remember. Is Paladin Steel a multi-dimensional company? If so we at Wildstorm Industries might have some business for them.

Increasingly we are...it's actually easier for us to trade with other dimensions than with nations on the other side of our own planet!(but we're working on that)....In fact, a good number of our smaller factories and resource facilities are in other dimensions, either because they can supply materials not easily found/accessed at home, or because they're safely beyond the reach of (most of) our terrestrial rivals and opponents(our logistical 'ace in the hole' and insurance that at least part of our company and nation-state will survive if the rest of it gets rolled over by somebody like the Splugorth, or nuked by the Coalition States).
Of course, in other dimensions we sometimes have to assume a cover name for our operations, but in other places we can operate quite openly.
Despite our growing interdimensional network, we still regard ourselves as Rifts Earthers...Sure, we complain about our homeworld being as nasty, rotten dangerous place full of misery, but would we move anywhere else? Nah...in true New England fashion, we reserve the right to complain at length about the old homestead, but we love it anyway...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Veritas476
Adventurer

Excellent. Our customer service representative will be looking over the current catalog, and contacting you soon. :-D
taalismn
Priest

Veritas476 wrote:Excellent. Our customer service representative will be looking over the current catalog, and contacting you soon. :-D

It's good to see an old account re-openned :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

taalismn wrote:

Though if you're going to be driving through blazing infernos, I suggest extra-heavy tires and heat-shielding the entire vehicle...

I just have this image of a little four-wheel scootie looking like a mini-Roman phalanx or Viking ship with shields lining its sides... :fool:

Removing image :thwak:

Options, not shields their selves. Well maybe Armored wind Shield and side shields. Extra-heavy tires, good body armor and HIGH speed option, but there is not one :-( Heavy weapon with extra linked payloads on a pinle mount with gun shield on the bed or exo servor Arm and a couple PDW style lighter weapons large payloads on the wind Shield and Wilk clip fed mini-missiles launchers mounted the sides. Spare tires and a very good medical kit.
"Come home driving on your shield, My Child, Not being carried by it."

What is the cost for:
an Armored wind Shield [AWS] with side shields and weapon mounting ports and side mounts
Could the Main Body bed be replaced with a Shield, the MDC is a little greater than 10 MDC
Heavy Shield Weight: 18 lbs, MDC: 90, Cost: 18,000 Credits
Extra Heavy Shield Weight: 25 lbs, MDC: 180, Cost: 24,000 Credits
Or would the AWS be part of the Main Body?

High Speed
extra-heavy tires
very good medical kit

Some Shield Options for the whole Scootie and Armored wind Shield might be:
Thermal Resistance Cost: 10,00 Credits
Laser-Ablative Cost: 12,000 Credits
Viewport Cost: 600 Credits
Gunport Cost: 200 Credits,
Crystal-Transparent --- Available only to Light and Medium Shields, this constructs the entire shield of transparent material. CANNOT be combined with Laser Ablative or Thermal Resistance. Cost: Increase base armor shield cost by 30%
Just a section of the AWS not the whole thing.
Forcefield Shield and Repulsor Field generators
Claymore Reactive Armor Cost: 600 Credits per mine
Any more?

Trying to get taalismn's images out of my head :frust: :frust:
Last edited by abtex on Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

taalismn says -- Librarians assume the role of scholar-priest-kings in an increasinly illiterate society...

taalismn says -- Abtex...Unofficial archival mole for the fictional arms industry again with the sites that make you blink... :shock: :-D
Aramanthus
Monk

So does that count for an item price check? :D
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

abtex wrote:
taalismn wrote:

Removing image :thwak:

Options, not shields their selves. Well maybe Armored wind Shield and side shields. Extra-heavy tires, good body armor and HIGH speed option, but there is not one :-( Heavy weapon with extra linked payloads on a pinle mount with gun shield on the bed or exo servor Arm and a couple PDW style lighter weapons large payloads on the wind Shield and Wilk clip fed mini-missiles launchers mounted the sides. Spare tires and a very good medical kit.
"Come home driving on your shield, My Child, Not being carried by it."

What is the cost for:
an Armored wind Shield [AWS] with side shields and weapon mounting ports and side mounts
Could the Main Body bed be replaced with a Shield, the MDC is a little greater than 10 MDC
Heavy Shield Weight: 18 lbs, MDC: 90, Cost: 18,000 Credits
Extra Heavy Shield Weight: 25 lbs, MDC: 180, Cost: 24,000 Credits
Or would the AWS be part of the Main Body?

High Speed
extra-heavy tires
very good medical kit

Some Shield Options for the whole Scootie and Armored wind Shield might be:
Thermal Resistance Cost: 10,00 Credits
Laser-Ablative Cost: 12,000 Credits
Viewport Cost: 600 Credits
Gunport Cost: 200 Credits,
Crystal-Transparent --- Available only to Light and Medium Shields, this constructs the entire shield of transparent material. CANNOT be combined with Laser Ablative or Thermal Resistance. Cost: Increase base armor shield cost by 30%
Just a section of the AWS not the whole thing.
Forcefield Shield and Repulsor Field generators
Claymore Reactive Armor Cost: 600 Credits per mine
Any more?

Trying to get taalismn's images out of my head :frust: :frust:

I'm kinda afraid to ask what you're planning on doing with this Gocart from Hell... :shock:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

taalismn wrote:I'm kinda afraid to ask what you're planning on doing with this Gocart from Hell... :shock:

The Merc unit "Texas Rabbit Hunters" need a little something for hunting and other stuff. Easy to transport, cheap [just take the Options and weapons off wrecked ones and reuse on a new one] and they are not as nosily as hovercycles with a better cargo load. Their imports as well, not local rides.

Aramanthus
Monk

Sounds like a cool Merc Unit. Any chance we could possibly see their order of battle? I'm interested in them.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

abtex wrote:
taalismn wrote:I'm kinda afraid to ask what you're planning on doing with this Gocart from Hell... :shock:

The Merc unit "Texas Rabbit Hunters" need a little something for hunting and other stuff. Easy to transport, cheap [just take the Options and weapons off wrecked ones and reuse on a new one] and they are not as nosily as hovercycles with a better cargo load. Their imports as well, not local rides.

How big rabbits are we talking? :D

As long as you're not hunting Ninjabunny...kinda got a non-aggression pact with him and all that...

Might wanna go for extra sprung suspension for hauling over rough terrain and rabbit warrens... :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Veritas476
Adventurer

taalismn wrote:
abtex wrote:

As long as you're not hunting Ninjabunny...kinda got a non-aggression pact with him and all that...

Might wanna go for extra sprung suspension for hauling over rough terrain and rabbit warrens... :D

Is it bad that I just got an idea from this exchange? Heaven help you all if WI starts getting into the genetic engineering field.
taalismn
Priest

Veritas476 wrote:
taalismn wrote:
abtex wrote:

Is it bad that I just got an idea from this exchange? Heaven help you all if WI starts getting into the genetic engineering field.

You got ideas?
EXCELLENT!
Then our efforts haven't been in vain! :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

There basely four kinds of Rabbits:
1) The ones they are shooting at
2) The ones they have shot and do not get up again
3) The ones that are trying to get away
4) The Rarest kind is, The ones that think they got away today.

A Rabbit hunt is the name for a hired to finish contract. A 'Rabbit' is someone, critter or thing they were hired to stop or remove from the area.

post away, Veritas476

Sounds like a cool Merc Unit. Any chance we could possibly see their order of battle? I'm interested in them.

Sorry Aramanthus. That would have to be something that I would have to do. I have used them as a named force, that about all. Will have to think about it, some.

taalismn
Priest

Very well...I'll open up a file on them. maybe a corporate account...You can't have too many hired guns on speed-dial after all... :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Veritas476
Adventurer

abtex wrote:Sorry Aramanthus. That would have to be something that I would have to do. I have used them as a named force, that about all. Will have to think about it, some.

Well crap. That about kills the idea that I had.
Aramanthus
Monk

Oh well. I'd look forward to seeing your genetic manpulations Harold! Please post away. I'm always looking forward to seeing mew material from PS.

HH....FIE
Veritas476
Adventurer

All I could think of for some reason was a horde of mutant rabbits terrorizing the countryside.

The PSA-11's look excellent in terms of raw flexibility for multiple roles. What would the cost be for a platoon of 20 that are geared for installation defense?
Aramanthus
Monk

PS gives discounts for buying in quanity.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Veritas476 wrote:All I could think of for some reason was a horde of mutant rabbits terrorizing the countryside.

The PSA-11's look excellent in terms of raw flexibility for multiple roles. What would the cost be for a platoon of 20 that are geared for installation defense?

Depends what you consider 'installation defense'...close range weaponry(mix of SDC weapons for shooting where and when you don't want to damage your own buildings, MDC long range stuff for those clear fields of fire, heavy applique armor for close quarters fighting, maybe some big shields?)...Personally, I regard blowing up my opposition as they step out of their barracks to muster for their attack mission to be 'installation defense'.

But A's right...pick out a line-up weapons, add 'em all up...we'll give you a 10% discount...20-25% if there's a tech-swap or licensing agreement in return...Go as low as 50% or maybe even indefinite Lend-Lease if there's a corporate/military treaty involved...Entirely possible since Wildstorm's central New York Rifts Earth outlet(s) effectively guard the GNE's southwest flank....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

Veritas476 wrote:
abtex wrote:Sorry Aramanthus. That would have to be something that I would have to do. I have used them as a named force, that about all. Will have to think about it, some.

Ok what needs to be changed so your idea works.
Rabbits leave a track of pellets as crap.

Veritas476
Adventurer

abtex wrote:
Veritas476 wrote:

Ok what needs to be changed so your idea works.
Rabbits leave a track of pellets as crap.

Dog Boy-style Rabbit Soldiers was the idea that flashed through my mind.
Veritas476
Adventurer

taalismn wrote:
Veritas476 wrote:All I could think of for some reason was a horde of mutant rabbits terrorizing the countryside.

Depends what you consider 'installation defense'...close range weaponry(mix of SDC weapons for shooting where and when you don't want to damage your own buildings, MDC long range stuff for those clear fields of fire, heavy applique armor for close quarters fighting, maybe some big shields?)...Personally, I regard blowing up my opposition as they step out of their barracks to muster for their attack mission to be 'installation defense'.

But A's right...pick out a line-up weapons, add 'em all up...we'll give you a 10% discount...20-25% if there's a tech-swap or licensing agreement in return...Go as low as 50% or maybe even indefinite Lend-Lease if there's a corporate/military treaty involved...Entirely possible since Wildstorm's central New York Rifts Earth outlet(s) effectively guard the GNE's southwest flank....

Which of the listed PSA-11 options can be mounted on the shoulders?
taalismn
Priest

Veritas476 wrote:[

I believe I've separated the shoulder/back mounts from the forearm and egenral systems options...If you really have to, in order to mount a BTNBFG, you could drop the jet/jump pack and mount the cannon there...

Hmmm...Catalogue updates may be in order for the PSA-11. ,maybe after I finish the Mongrel, a souped-up NEMA Bulldog, with scads more options...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Veritas476
Adventurer

I look forward to seeing what develops for the PSA-11 and other PS designs.
taalismn
Priest

Considering that I'm rebuilding what was an inventory heavily based on conversions for its major lines(heavy vehicles, spacecraft, robots, etc...) to one of wholly new material based on what I'd seen online and what I've learned as a creator, it's an undertaking..I've certainly plowed a lot more than I expected into small arms and light vehicles...so adding some heavy units would be a wise choice...as well as adding, as Abtex has openned the door to, diversity in biotech...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

Veritas476 wrote:Dog Boy-style Rabbit Soldiers was the idea that flashed through my mind.

If the CS created Dog Boys , that is not reason that they did not do so with Rabbits so the Dog Boy would have someone to play with :lol: :D

So go for it. After the Bomb has some rabbit folk in it. Ask the posters of new Mutants on the AtB Forum might get so Kick Doggie Hindies combat ones or some Special Op one with tricks. Which could be different to very scary.

abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

taalismn wrote:Considering that I'm rebuilding what was an inventory heavily based on conversions for its major lines(heavy vehicles, spacecraft, robots, etc...) to one of wholly new material based on what I'd seen online and what I've learned as a creator, it's an undertaking..I've certainly plowed a lot more than I expected into small arms and light vehicles...so adding some heavy units would be a wise choice...as well as adding, as Abtex has openned the door to, diversity in biotech...

Goody, more stuff to play with....I did WHAT? :shock:
Creating new material based on what you find online...List of things to do and do and do.....
The never ending list. Have fun. We are waiting.

Veritas476
Adventurer

abtex wrote:
Veritas476 wrote:Dog Boy-style Rabbit Soldiers was the idea that flashed through my mind.

If the CS created Dog Boys , that is not reason that they did not do so with Rabbits so the Dog Boy would have someone to play with :lol: :D

So go for it. After the Bomb has some rabbit folk in it. Ask the posters of new Mutants on the AtB Forum might get so Kick Doggie Hindies combat ones or some Special Op one with tricks. Which could be different to very scary.

As I don't have the AtB game I can't really pursue this.
taalismn
Priest

abtex wrote:
taalismn wrote:Considering that I'm rebuilding what was an inventory heavily based on conversions for its major lines(heavy vehicles, spacecraft, robots, etc...) to one of wholly new material based on what I'd seen online and what I've learned as a creator, it's an undertaking..I've certainly plowed a lot more than I expected into small arms and light vehicles...so adding some heavy units would be a wise choice...as well as adding, as Abtex has openned the door to, diversity in biotech...

Creating new material based on what you find online...List of things to do and do and do.....
The never ending list. Have fun. We are waiting.

If time would allow...no sooner do I get a weekend to myself, but I sit down to write...the phone rings and off I go to substitute...yeesh....
Well, can't complain too much...I'm paid for it, not like what I do here... :D
Yeah, you openned it up with the Cambridge Forest...combined with the influx of refugees familiar with various Atlantean sciences...I'd be a fool not to exploit that poissble avenue of development....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Veritas476 wrote:[

Ah...now I see the source of your confusion...
The shoulder/back options and general systems options were split off in a second post right after the first one....They're there all right, just the next one down on the page....
;)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Veritas476
Adventurer

taalismn wrote:Ah...now I see the source of your confusion...
The shoulder/back options and general systems options were split off in a second post right after the first one....They're there all right, just the next one down on the page....
;)

Doh! My mistake. I neglected to look at the next post.
taalismn
Priest

S'right...after paging through 13 pages of previous post, anybody's eyes get scroll-weary...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Veritas476
Adventurer

After looking the PSA-11 entry over here is WI's purchase order.

PSA-11 order for Paladin Steel from Wildstorm Industries (Rifts Earth)

Quantity: 20 units

Enhancements:
  • M7 on all right arms
  • C7 on all left arms
  • S3 on 2 units
  • S4 on 6 units
  • S6 on 4 units, paired with S2 (10 shot)
  • S9 Dual on 4 units

B1 packs are requested on the remaining 4 units. If there are any conflicting requests for these four units preserve the B1 option please.

Other Options:
  • All Units: Laser Ablative Armor, Thermo-Camouflage, Chameleon/Chameoline
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

taalismn wrote:
abtex wrote:
taalismn wrote:as well as adding, as Abtex has openned the door to, diversity in biotech...

Yeah, you openned it up with the Cambridge Forest...combined with the influx of refugees familiar with various Atlantean sciences...I'd be a fool not to exploit that poissble avenue of development....

I did not!! :x you came up with Cambridge Jungle, I came up with MITForest. :-D Well you were half right. Do not make me go find my GEM postings, [Genetically Engineered Microbes] I will do that on my own. [Damn I make too must noise about things that i found on the Web] But only the ones the I posted computer crash ate 4-5 years of stuff, the rest is on paper in piles.
Last edited by abtex on Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

taalismn
Priest

abtex wrote:
taalismn wrote:
abtex wrote:
taalismn wrote:as well as adding, as Abtex has openned the door to, diversity in biotech...

I did not!! :x you came up with Cambridge Jungle, I came up with MITForest. :-D Well you were half right. Do not make me go find my GEM postings, I will do that on my own. But only the ones the I posted computer crash ate 4-5 years of stuff, the rest is on paper in piles.

it's a fiorest when it's managed...it's a jungle when it runs wild... :P
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Veritas476 wrote:After looking the PSA-11 entry over here is WI's purchase order.

PSA-11 order for Paladin Steel from Wildstorm Industries (Rifts Earth)

Quantity: 20 units

Enhancements:
  • M7 on all right arms
  • C7 on all left arms
  • S3 on 2 units
  • S4 on 6 units
  • S6 on 4 units, paired with S2 (10 shot)
  • S9 Dual on 4 units

B1 packs are requested on the remaining 4 units. If there are any conflicting requests for these four units preserve the B1 option please.

Other Options:
  • All Units: Laser Ablative Armor, Thermo-Camouflage, Chameleon/Chameoline

Order processed and ready for shipping...You want paper or plastic?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Veritas476
Adventurer

taalismn wrote:Order processed and ready for shipping...You want paper or plastic?

:-P Bad..

I'll have a Road Train accompanied by a Tactical Response Unit in full gear sent over to get them.
taalismn
Priest

Wait...we ship 'em in MDC connex containers....Great for improvized field garages and buildings....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Paladin Steel ‘Arcos’ MultiPurpose Medium Utility Robot
“Just got word from the Seventeenth; they’ve engaged a group of Deevils ---the same ones that burnt Seethton...They’re still fighting them and their Deevil Dragon command, but they know a few of them, and what they figure is a company’s worth of Shock Dragons, slipped around their flank and are making a beeline for the valley communities...We’re the only ones between them and Tsuton...Regular Army’s got reinforcements coming, but the’re still four hours away...the Deevils will hit town in two...We got one hour to get set up, and the damn weather’s got even our ‘all-weather’ aircraft flying blind, so we can’t count on air support....We’re it...We’ll meet’em up by the old ruins and show those demonic freaks what GNE militia do to trespassers...We got eight industrial robots, a Bardolph, a company of AFVs, plenty of blasting explosives, and the resources of every construction site this end of the valley so we can really ruin their day if we keep our wits about us ...Jorge? You said earlier a few ideas for using industramecha in defensive positions? While they’re finishing mounting the artillery on your ‘bot, tell me what you have in mind...”

The Arcos is intended as a ‘budget’ multi-utility robot for the general market. ‘Budget’ meaning a wide range of options, no exclusive or proprietary technologies, and a low cost. The Arcos isn’t as capable as most of Paladin Steel’s other robots, such as the Pathfinder, Jackalope, or Mantis, but it can hold its own against older CS models and Cyberworks products.
The Arcos looks like a stockier, blockier, version of the Pathfinder, with thicker, slab-sided armor, and larger foot-pads. The torso is particularly pronounced in its bulk, the better to accommodate the larger, less expensive powerplant systems and less sophisticated control arrangement. A separate head has been done away with altogether, with instead a caged canopy/cockpit in the forward-facing side of the torso(this limits all-around visibility somewhat, compensated in part with mirrors and cameras). The hands are large, four-clawed, and not designed with fine manipulation in mind. It is slower in speed than most robot vehicles, but tends to be less prone to instability problems and is engineered for reliability. Its big market strengths are its low cost and easy maintenance. Of course, PS then began to ply the design with add-ons and modular accessories.
The Arcos has the distinction of being one of the few robot vehicles that has the option of being conventionally powered by electric or liquid fuel engines, though these systems tend to be heavier and lack less endurance than nuclear systems(and, in the case of the liquid fuel engines, require massive amounts of fuel held in large obvious fuel tanks), but are far cheaper to buy and maintain than the longer-lived fusion systems. The liquid fuel system uses a ‘flex fuel’ system that can burn just about anything(but works best with high octane gasoline or diesal fuel), while the electric version can be recharged by a community powergrid, nuclear powerplant, solar/wind recharge station, or stationary internal combustion generator.
The Arcos is aimed at second- and third-echelon military ranks, garrison forces, and corporate operations, such as factory security, logging, and mining work. In combat, it’s best used against low-tech opponents, or as a support unit, bringing up the rear with long range gunnery.
Type: PS-MPR-08 Arcos
Class: MultiPurpose Medium Robot Vehicle
Crew: One, plus room for 1-2 passengers
MDC/Armor by Location:
Main Body 380
Reinforced Crew Compartment 100
Arms(2) 100 each
Hands(2) 45 each
Legs(2) 190 each
(Liquid Fuel versions only) External Fuel Tanks(3)---120 each
Height: 15 ft
Width: 8 ft
Length: 7 ft
Weight: 25 tons
Cargo: Small space in cabin for a few personal possessions, side arms, and survival gear.
Physical Strength: Robotic P.S. of 38
Powerplant: Liquid Fuel engine w/24 hour full power endurance(also add 1.3 tons to weight), OR Rechargeable Electric Batteries w/ 48 hour full power endurance(add 1 ton to weight), OR Nuclear Fusion w/ 10 year energy life.
Notes: Liquid Fuel-powered versions require air to support the internal combustion engine; if crossing underwater, these vehicles will require a snorkel or compressed air supply to keep the engine going.
Speed:(Running) 50 MPH
(Leaping) Not possible, but can step over objects/obstacles 7 ft tall or smaller
(Flying) Not possible
(Underwater) Can walk along the bottom at HALF normal speed. Maximum depth of 250 ft
Market Cost: 8 million credits for liquid fuel, 10 million credits for electric, and 13 million credits for nuclear
Systems of Note:
Basic Robot Systems
Weapons Systems:
1) Backpack/Shoulder Hardpoint(1)---The broad flat back can be used to mount a weapons mount or systems turret; typically a bank of lights, a guard-railed inspection platform, or bullhorn bar is mounted, but a turret can be mounted instead.
a)PS-B 120 mm Autocannon
Weight: 2 tons + 1 ton of ammunition
Range: 6000 ft
Damage:High Explosive(HE): 1d6x10 MD to 20 ft blast radius
High Explosive Anti-Tank(HEAT): 2d6x10 Md to 10 ft blast radius
Armor Piercing(AP) 1d4x10 MD, no blast radius
APSD: 2d4x10 MD, no blast radius
Rate of Fire: 3 times per melee
Payload: 100 rds

b)Gatling Cannon---PS-HSGC-AAM-11 20mm Six-Barrel Super Vulcan Cannon
Range: 7,000 ft
Damage:(Proximity-fuzed High-Explosive) 4d4 MD single shot (2 ft blast radius)
1d6x10 MD per 5 rd burst
2d6x10 MD per 10 rd burst(but -1 to strike)
6d6x10 MD for a 40 rd burst(takes THREE attacks and is -3 to strike targets smaller than 20 ft long)
Rate of Fire: EPCHH
Payload: 4,000 rd drum
Penalty: If more than 4 full 40-rd bursts are fired consecutively, there is a +10% cumulative chance per additional burst of the weapon overheating and seizing up....Takes 1d6 melees to purge the coolant system and unjam the mechanism. Firing multiple lower-volume bursts incurs NO penalty.
Cost: 250,000 credits

c) Mini-Missile Launcher----32

d) Short Range Missile Launcher----16

e) Medium Range Missile Launcher---8

f) Long Range Missile Launcher---1

g) Heavy Laser------A fairly standard Black Market heavy laser design, although with slightly better range and price due to more effective PS-manufactured superconductor systems used in the manufacture.
Range: 6,000 ft
Damage: 1d6x10 MD per blast
Rate of Fire:EGCHH
Payload: 350 shot battery for conventionally powered models. Effectively Unlimited w/ nuclear powerplant
Cost: 1.7 million credits

h) Heavy Ion Cannon
Range: 4,000 ft
Damage: 1d6x10 MD per energy burst
Rate of Fire: EGCHH
Payload: 400 shot battery for conventionally powered models. Effectively Unlimited w/ nuclear powerplant
Cost: 60,000 credits

i) Heavy Plasma Cannon---Adapted from PS’s PPR-3 Serap Heavy Plasma Projector. The weapon also has the option of firing ‘hot shots’ of deuterium-enriched plasma feeding from a pressure cylinder
Range:(Plasma Stream) 2000 ft
(Plasma Bolt) 1500 ft
Damage:(Plasma Stream) 1d6x10 MD per blast*
*Can be increased by 50% with a ‘hot shot’ injection of deuterium gas
(Plasma Bolt) 1d4x10 MD to 8 ft blast radius
Rate of Fire: Single shot, ECHH
Payload: Effectively Unlimited
Deuterium Gas Reservoir has enough gas under pressure for 45 shots.
Cost: 100,000 credits, plus 1,200 credits per deuterium ‘hotshot’ cartridge.

j) PS-L-CIWS Vulcan Chain Gun(aka “Button Gun”)---This installation was originally developed as a mecha turret gun and for shipboard use as PS’s standard light maritime weapons system. The system is a very compact and neat installation that takes up little space, and has been compared to the pre-Rifts Russian ADMG-630 30mm Gatling CIWS that saw extensive service aboard Russian warships. The PS-L-CIWS is often called the “Button Gun” because of its squat, flattened dome-like turret.
Damage: 1d4x10 MD per 20 rd burst(can only fire bursts)
Rate of Fire: EGCHH, as an automated defense system linked to a radar/sensor system, the “Button Gun” has a +2 to strike, and four attacks per melee.
Payload:8,000 rd drum(200 bursts)
Cost: 95,000 credits

k)Crane/Derrick Assembly---Includes a 20 ft deployable boom, 300 ft of MDC cable, and a winch capable of hauling up to 15 tons.
Weight: 1,000 lbs
Cost: 400,000 credits

l) Chemical Sprayer
Range: 300 ft
Damage:Varies by chemical carried; Some examples:
(Water)None, if carrying water, but human-sized beings struck with the stream but roll versus the ‘cannon’s To Strike roll, or be bowled off their feet. Does 2d6x10 HP to vampires per blast

(Gloop) PS’s sticky goop---This material is used in constuction, as well as to firm up the walls of tunnels and damaged structures. It is also used to cocoon valuable and delicate objects for moving. Each half-gallon application of this quick-set plastic covers about 5 cubic feet, and to cover a human sized target completely, the attacker must roll a 12 or better on the Strike roll. Anyone caught in the goo must have a supernatural or robotic P.S. of 30 or better to escape; otherwise, the target is stuck until released by an outside agency. Gloop has 2d4 MDC per application, and breaks down after 1d4 days of exposure, unless treated with a special binder chemical, and allowed to cure for 1d4 hours, in which case it stabilizes and has an MDC of 2d6+1. Gloop costs 70 credits per half gallon(single application)
A variant of this gunk, ‘Boro-Slime’, is a quick-setting slurry of lead-powder and boro-silicate glass suspension, which is sprayed on leaking radiation sources, forming a thick crust to simultaneously trap radioactive materials and seal it inside a crusting shell for later safe removal. Best used to contain small (power armor and vehicle) reactor breaches and water leaks; larger reactor leaks will require more drastic measures. ‘Boro-Slime’ is otherwise identical to standard Gloop, and costs 120 credits per half gallon(single application)

(Kera-Tech Riot Foam) Alternatively, the cannon can be filled with Kera-Tech’s patented KTX-17 Riot Foam, which is stronger, but more expensive, than the Gloop. This stuff takes a robotic or supernatural PS of 40 or greater to break free. Creatures with a greater strength can break free in 1d4 melees. The foam hardens in less than 2 seconds, and can take 30 MDC per cubic meter(a humanoid typically needs at least two meters to be totally enveloped). A special enyzme spray will dissolve the foam in 1d4 melees. This stuff costs about 800 credits per pound of the stuff, which is enough to fill a 4m( roughly 12 square ft) area to a height of 1.8 m(6 ft)

(Slip Spray)---rather than trap, this makes it impossible for people and many vehicles to gain purchase. A single application(a tablespoon) will cover nearly four square feet. Slipspray is very nearly water-resistant----it takes ALOT of water, roughly 6-10 gallons, to wash away an ounce of slipspray---or regular industrial solvents will do the trick. Slipspray breaks down after 1d4 hours of exposure to air.
Effects: Anyone trying to move across slipspray must make a roll under their Physical Prowess at -8 or go out of control at full speed. Vehicles, power armors, and light robot vehicles travelling in ground contact across sufficently large patches of slipspray will be at -15% to their piloting rolls..failure means the vehicel goes out of control and takes on the chaarcteristics of a giant hockey puck. Depending on the hardness of the surface(must be a hard surface, not a permeable surface like dirt or gravel), certain heavy vehicles and robots(like the Skull Smasher or Behemoth Explorer) will be unaffected, as they simply stomp the effected surface into the subterrean. Hovercraft are NOT affected either. Cost: 40 credits per ounce(covers 8 square ft...so a gallon’s worth will cover 1,024 ft! Instant ice rink anyone?)

Rate of Fire: ECHH
Payload: 200 gallon internal tank, or can be attached to a trailer holding up to 600 gallons
Cost: 10,000 credits

m) Lance Scanner---Looks like a long lance, antennae, or a weather-domed bulge protruding from the armor of the ‘bot. The Lance Scanner contains a magnetometer and a short-range microwave radar for groundsearching minefields(in theory, the ground radar sound be able to detect even non-metallic mines, but takes twice as long).
Range: The magnetometer has a range of 4,000 ft and can detect vehicles and other metallic structures with 80% accuracy. Active fusion nuclear powerplants(and their magnetic containment fields) and active rail guns can be detected at DOUBLE that range.
The ground radar has a range of 3,000 ft, and has a 90% chance of detecting metal-cased mines, 60% chance of detecting non-metallic ordinance.
Cost: 40,000 credits

2) Forearm Hardpoints(2, 1 each forearm)
a) Heavy Vibroclaws---Three heavy vibroclaws, doing 2d6 MD each(total of 6d6 MD on a punch, plus regular punch damage). Cost: 10,000 credits

b) Vibro Disc Saw
Weight: 100 lbs
Range: Melee
MDC per Blade:45
Damage: 6d6 MD per slash, 2d4x10 MD per full melee cut
Cost: 150,000 credits

c) Plasma Cutter---A precision cutting torch that can be adjusted from a torch fan 3 feet wide wide to as small as an inch wide.
Range: 10-30 ft
Damage: 2d4x10 MD per 15 seconds of cutting
Payload: 1 hour battery for conventionally powered models. Effectively Unlimited w/ nuclear powerplant
Cost: 95,000 credits

d) Pulse Laser--Standard PS pulse laser
Damage: 6d6 MD per pulse blast
Payload: 1,000 shot battery for conventionally powered models. Effectively Unlimited w/ nuclear powerplant
Cost:12,000 credits

e) Ion Blaster---A copy of the ion weapon in the M-90 “Beach Stormer”, samples of which were acquired by Paladin Steel West, though with slightly less damage due to differing production methods.
Damage: 1d6x10 +7 MD per energy burst
Payload: 100 shot battery for conventionally powered. Effectively Unlimited w/ nuclear powerplant

f) Plasma Blasters(1x2)---Twin plasma rifles
Range: 1,600 ft
Damage: 6d6 MD single shot, 1d6x10 +10 MD double shot burst
Payload: 100 shot battery for conventionally powered models. Effectively Unlimited w/ nuclear powerplant
Cost: 50,000 credits

g) Rail Gun----PS-RG-44 Rail Gun(a copy of an imported Russian design)
Damage: 1d4x10 MD per 20 rd burst
Payload: 3,000 rd drum
Cost: 75,000 credits

h) Grenade Launcher--- 40mm Grenade Launcher
Range:7,000 ft
Damage: (Fragmentation) 4d6 MD to blast area of 12 ft
2d6x10 MD to blast area of 40 ft w/ 10-rd burst
(Armor Piercing) 1d4x10 MD to blast area of 3 ft
3d6x10 MD to blast area of 8 ft w/ 10-rd burst
Rate of Fire: Standard
Payload: 250 rds
Cost: 50,000 credits

i) 20mm Autocannon---The 20mm Taskin Rifle, mounted in a vehicle
Range: 3,000 ft
Damage:(20mm) 1d4 MD single shot
4d6 MD per 5 rd burst
1d4x10+4 MD per 10 rd burst
(PSX-II) 4d4 MD single shot
1d6x10 MD per 5 rd burst
2d6x10 MD per 10 rd burst
(Wood Rounds) 6d6 SDC single shot (1d4x10 HP to vampires)
2d4x10 SDC MD per 5 rd burst (2d4x10 HP to vampires)
6d6 MD per 10 rd burst (3d6x10 HP to vampires)
Payload:500 rd box
Cost: 20,000 credits

j) Flamethrower
Range: 500 ft
Damage:3d6 MD per burst, plus does an additional 2d6 MD per melee for 1d6 melees
Payload:100 bursts

k)Goopblaster(Manipulator Hand Module)----Fires an expanding ball of rapid-set quickdry megadamage epoxy ‘goop’ that can blind an enemy’s sensors, lock up limbs, plug leaks, or block internal corridors.   Each application covers about five cubic feet,. To completely cover a human-sized target, the attacker must roll a 12 or better on the strike roll, otherwise only a limb is glommed. Anyone caught in the goo must
have a supernatural or robotic PS of 30 or better to break free; otherwise they are stuck until the goo is somehow removed.
   The epoxy sets within seconds, and can be used underwater. Unlike the
industrial strength Goo used in the Goo Gun, the Glooper uses a weaker, cheaper, bio-degradable grade of MDC cement, more like a thick lather or foam, for building temporary structures and filling corridors. The foam typically breaks down after exposure to air for 1d4 days, or faster(4d6 hours) under the effects of severe weather. If the foam structure is to be permanent, then the foam must be treated with a spray sealant that hardens the foam and stops its breakdown. However, the sprayed epoxy needs 1d4 hours to properly cure, at which point it attains its maximum strength. Once the two tanks are emptied, the twin bottles, which are
sold and attached together as a pair, can be quickly exchanged for fresh ones in one melee action, like changing an e-clip. For larger jobs, a backpack tank holding additional chemicals is available.
The Goop Blaster can also be used to generate a much lighter mass of bubbles that don’t have as much overall strength as a normal ‘blob’ of the cement, but which expands to fill up more space(15 square ft per application). This mass of bubbles will only slow down augmented or power armored troops(reduce speed by 50%), but will most effectively contain/restrain anyone without a supernatural or robotic PS of 30 or better..this mode is designed to effectively neutralize ship crews by blocking corridors and sealing access without damaging the vessel’s structure. A special solvent spray can be used to dissolve the bubble mass in 2d6 melees.
Mega-Damage: None, Gloop has 2d4 MDC(1d4 MD in ‘bubble mode’) per application, but if treated with the binder solution, hardens to 2d6 +1 MDC after curing for 1d4 hours. Gloop has a strength of 1,000 lbs per cubic foot.
After 1d4 days(depending on local conditions), reduce the MDC of the Gloop by 25% per 24 hours until you're into SDC, at which point the Gloop is so brittle it flakes away into dust.
Rate of Fire: Spray
Range: 500 ft
Payload: 100 applications per arm tank.
Cost: 50,000 credits for the sprayer, 8,000 credits per 100-application tank.

3) (Optional) Total Arm Replacement---This option replaces one or both of the arm assemblies with a weapons mount; one of the following:
a) Mini-Missile Launcher---24 missiles

b) Short Range Missile Launcher---12 SRMs

c) Black Talon L-SAM Launcher
Range: 3 miles
Damage: 3d4x10 MD to 40 ft blast radius
Rate of Fire: Volleys of 1-4(all)
Payload: 10
Bonus: +5 to strike, and gets TWO attempts to strike the target(agile enough to loop back on a target and try again)
Cost: 50,000 Cr, missiles cost 1,000 credits each

d) ‘Copperhead’ Anti-Tank Missile Launcher
Range: 1 mile,
Damage: High Explosive 2d4x10 MD,
Rate of Fire: Volleys of 1-6
Payload: 6,
Bonuses: +5 to strike
Cost: 90,000 Cr, missiles cost 600 credits each

e) Medium Range Missile Launcher---4 MRMs on a quad mount.
Cost: 80,000 Cr, missiles cost extra

f) 2x40mm Anti-Aircraft Cannons
Range: 13,000 ft
Damage:(Proximity Fuzed Fragmentation) 3d6 MD to 15 ft blast radius
(Armor Piercing Tracer) 5d6 MD single shot
(High Explosive Tracer) 4d6 MD to 10 ft blast radius
Payload: 200 rounds
Cost: 300,000 credits(ammunition costs extra)

Hand to Hand Combat:
Use the Titan Light Combat Robot combat stats for ELITE skills in piloting the Arcos.
Restrained Punch 1d4 MD
Punch 2d6 MD
Power Punch(2 attacks) 4d6 MD
Kick 2d4 MD
Stomp 2d6 MD
Body Block/Tackle 1d6x10 MD
Options:
*Applique Armor
*Light----Adds 10-100 MDC main body, 10-30 MDC to arms, 10-50 per legs, + 1-3 tons, without movement penalties
----Cost: 15,000 credits per 10 MDC
*Medium---Adds 110-200 MDC main body, 50-60 MDC to arms, 50-80 per legs, +4-6 tons, but with a reduction in top speed of 25%
----Cost: 16,000 credits per 10 MDC
*Heavy----Adds 210-360 MDC main body,60-100 MDC to arms, 80-110 per legs, +7-10 tons, but with a reduction in top speed of 50%
----Cost:18,000 credits per 10 MDC
*Laser Ablative Armor(Option)---PS laser-ablative ceramic, based on alien materials. Lasers do HALF damage. VFLs can NOT adjust to compensate. As an added bonus, Arkhon triphase weapons do 1/10 less damage.
----Cost:+3 million credits(Rarely available to outsiders)
*Thermal Resistant Heat-Refractory Tile Armor(Option)---Special heat-resistant materials designed originally for reentry vehicle shielding. Heat and plasma-based attacks do 1/4 damage
----Cost: +2 million credits
*Chemical-Resistant HazMat Armor----This material is slicker than Teflon, and resists chemical corrosion as well as adhesives. Paint, glue, and other chemicals simply refuse to stick to this stuff, and corrsoive chemicals just slide off, doing NO damage.
Cost: 1.8 million credits

*Armored Cockpit---This reinforces the crew compartment, adding more armor plate, replacing the large cockpit windows, and incidentally making the pilot more dependent on external sensors. Particularly popular with hazmat crews, due to the added radiation shielding. Adds 150 MDC to the crew compartment.
----Cost: +1 million credits

*Heavy Leg Pylons---An oversized version of the Glitterboy stabilization pylons;---Tired of being knocked over by concussion blasts, or being rolled over by a giant’s kick? This interesting little system uses Glitterboy-style pylon technology to las and hydraulically drive six stabilizer jacks up to 7 ft into the ground, even through concrete and metal gratings, within 5 seconds, affixing you like a barnacle, and able to stay upright in even hurricane-force winds. System can disengage in 2 seconds, for that speedy getaway.
Cost: 90,000 credits

*Heavy-Duty Spotlights---2 triangular armored mounts can be added, looking somewhat like ‘ears’ on the Arcos. These are both IR/Normal light projectors, and each has 10 MDC.
Cost: 30,000 credits for a pair

*Ground Radar---Useful for locating underground pipes, cables, hidden bunkers, basements, and for testing the stability of the ground(can determine if the underlying soil is sandy and soft, or hardpacked and firm). The ground radar has a range of 3,000 ft, and has a 90% chance of detecting metal-cased mines, 60% chance of detecting non-metallic ordinance.

Variants:
*Arcos-Hemi---This is simply the upper torso of the Arcos mounted on a lower-riding chassis like a tread propulsion unit or wheeled tractor. This has the advantage of greater stability, but less mobility.
Changes/Modifications:
MDC/Armor by Location:
Treads(in place of legs)(4) 90 each
OR
Wheels(in place of legs)(4) 45 each
Height: 10 ft
Length: 14 ft
Speed: (Treads) 32 MPH
(Wheels) 60 MPH
Cost: (Treads) 8.6 million credits for the base model
(Wheels) 8.3 credits for the base model

*Arcos-Aqua---Underwater operations model, capable of handling depths of down to 3,000 ft
Changes/Modifications:
HydroThrusters(4) 35 each
Speed:
(Underwater) Can walk along the bottom at HALF normal speed. Maximum depth of 3,000 ft
Can also ‘swim’, albeit very slowly, at about 8 MPH, using the thrusters
Systems of Note:
*Sonar----15 mile range
*Nuetral Bouyancy Chambers---Various floatation chambers and compartments spaced about the robot give it neutral bouyancy
*Emergency Ascent Lift Bags----In an emergency, the pilot can deploy special gas-lift bags around the robot, filling them from gas cartridges, that will carry the robot to the surface much more rapidly. There are about six lift ballons, each made of a tough megadamage fabric(15 MDC apiece). Note that the crew cabin is maintained at sea-level pressure, so decompression isn’t an issue.
Cost: + 1.2 million credits
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

Nice new bot, different from war machines.

Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Unread post by Ziggurat the Eternal »

*Copy-Paste Seal of Approval.*

*Seal of Post Count Plus 0n3*
Balabanto wrote:Well, something called The Devastator should Devastate things. 1d6x10 couldn't devastate your mother in Rifts.

amodernheathen wrote:If, in one posting, I can increase the hellish chaos of even a single planet seven-fold, then I believe that I have done my duty as a Game Master to the widows and orphans of that world. By increasing their number. Drastically.
taalismn
Priest

abtex wrote:

Nice new bot, different from war machines.

Yeah...I figured a gas-powered giant robot could be fun... :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Pinching this link from Runebo because I already had something like it in the works.... :D

http://www.gizmag.com/two-seater-hummel ... age/11586/

Paladin Steel VTOL-8C ‘Flitter’ Light VTOL

“’Flying call boxes’ is what we call them in the ‘force...pure brute force aviation, with those two big engines being all that’s keeping you aloft...The grease monkeys call them ‘cement mixers’ because those big engines can ingest just about any sort of flying debris....dirt, salt spray, dropped tools, pigeons, and keep supplying lift....Hope that’s true, because if those thrusters cut out on you at altitude, you got zip aero-lift to drop you to a safe landing, and damn little time to bail out...if you bothered with strapping on a ‘chute in the first place!”
---Captain Twillen Morantz, Vermont Free State Civil Aviation

“I am constantly asked why we at Paladin Steel produce so many vehicle designs that would seem to be redundant ....too many designs serving the same purpose....especially in our military, where a flattening of logistical demands would appear to be in order..
I remind such questioners that we are a COMPANY, and that we produce not solely for the military needs for the GNE. We must constantly keep our eyes on our profit margins, and to maintain that, we must produce products that people both CAN and WILL buy. We are not the only arms manufacturers on the market, not even the best, and we cannot devote ourselves to producing only high end military hardware that only a few prosperous nation states can afford and maintain.
However, by virtue of those high end systems, those states and surrounding communities have seen a bloom of emerging commercial activity, and the return of a middle class and population working at more than subsistance. It is this emerging segment of the global population whose potential we seek to tap, for who we design most of our products.
Transportation is one of our most important products; with larger communities and growing trade, secured trade routes and the stabilization of regions once dominated only by chaos, travel, and the infrastructure to support it, is again becoming a dynamic in our societies and in our world. A dynamic we will serve and foster, towards the establishment of common global civilization. Starting with the individual traveller. “
----Deneva Khalane, Paladin Steel CEO

Despite their rather different designs, this VTOL design, together with its cousin, the Boston Aviation PHS-11a, have become so ubiquitous, buzzing around the cities and territories of 5ST, that many people in the Greater New England region often confuse them, ascribing them to be variants of a common design, which, given the fact that both vehicles shared a common development team, isn’t too far from the truth.
The PS/VTOL-8C is a light Vertical TakeOff and Landing vehicle designed to fill the role of a light helicopter or private plane. The vehicle consists of a reinforced crash-cage and glassite crew compartment squating on a fixed tripod-landing gear, with two large turbofan engines swivel- mounted atop, and to the rear of, the crew cabin. The PS/VTOL-8C is a brute-force, directed-thrust aircraft that relies entirely on engine thrust to remain aloft; it has effectively no aerodynamic lift in event of engine failure(a large parachute deployed from the roof of the cabin provides some measure of hope in an emergency ditch). Fortunately, the Flitter relies on the PS-Alison-118C Turbo-Fan, an extremely reliable design whose various variants have been in service in both civil and military use for over a decade now.
The ‘Flitter’ is noisy and short-ranged, and ill-suited for aerial combat, but it is easy to fly, reliable, and inexpensive to operate. Its sturdy crash-cage design and reinforced nacelles can take a surprising amount of punishment, either from enemy action or undue buffeting and debris ingestion/impact. Though it’s not really intended for combat, the VTOL does have two light hardpoints on the lower front of the hull, intended to carry searchlights, camera pods, and sensor modules, but which can accomodate light gunpods, rocket pods, and energy weapon modules.
The ‘Flitter’ has become an extremely common air vehicle in the Greater New England region, and it is starting to make inroads into theregular commercial market. The VFS/CoM use these machines as forestry patrol craft, traffic monitoring, internal security, and light transport, while an increasing number of allied nation-state citizens, with large amounts of disposable income, have acquired these craft as personal transport.
Type:PS/VTOL-8C
Class: Light General Purpose Directed Thrust Vertical TakeOff and Landing Craft
Date of Introduction: 105 PA
Crew: One, plus 1-2 passengers
MDC/Armor By Location
Main Body 90
Lift Thrusters(2) 50 each
Landing Legs(3) 5 each
Length: 10 ft
Width: 15 ft(Folds to 7 ft)
Height:10 ft(15 ft w/ fans raised in lift position)
Weight: 1,800 lbs
Cargo: Small 2x2x3 ft bin space behind the seats for internal stowage, and can carry additional cargo on the external hardpoints(up to 400 lbs)
Powerplant: Liquid Fuel, Electric, or Nuclear(w/ 5-year energy life)
Range: 300 miles w/ Liquid Fuel and Electric
Speed: Hover to 300 MPH, maximum altitude 15,000 ft
Market Cost: 75,000 credits for the liquid-fueled version, 85,000 for electric, 600,000 credits for nuclear.
Systems of Note:
*Radio---100 mile range
*Mini-Radar---20 mile range
*Altimeter, air speed guage, standard small craft instrumentation
*Landing Lights
*Small directional spotlight--300 ft range
*External loudspeaker
*Cabin Environmental Control and Air Filtration
*Emergency Descent Parachute---Deploys from the top of the aircraft to slow its descent.
*Crash Protection Systems(crash cage, auto-lock belting and restraints, airbags)---Reduces crash damage to occupants by HALF.
Weapons Systems:
None standard, but has two small external hardpoints(2), each one of which can hold ONE of the following:
a) Cargo Pod---Can carry 200 lbs, or a stretcher pod
b) Sensor Pod---Optical Pod, Forward-Looking InfraRed, Radiation Detector, or Molecular Analyzer.
c) Heavy Spotlight---500 ft range
d)Sprayer/CropDuster Pod
Range: 200 ft, covers a 15 ft area
Damage: Varies by chemical used; if using water a blast does 1d4x10 HP damage to vampires.
Payload: Tank with 20 blasts of chemical/water
Cost: 5,000 credits
e)Micro-Missile Pod---The advent of long-ranged 15mm and 20mm micro-missiles has made it possible to fit the Flitter with a more compact ‘sting’:
*15mm Micro-Missiles---Vehicle-mounted version of the McMLR-14 MMRifle, with 14 rd cassette.
Range:
Pattern-1A 5,700 ft
Pattern-1B 6,000 ft
Pattern-1C 6,000 ft
Pattern-1D 7,000 ft
Pattern-1E 7,500 ft
Damage/Bonuses:
Pattern-1A---1d4 MD to 2 ft blast radius
Pattern-1B---1d6 MD to 5 ft blast radius
Pattern-1C---4d6 MD to 4 ft blast radius, or 1d4 MD to a 10 ft blast radius in fragmentation mode
Pattern-1D----6d6 MD to a 5 ft blast radius, or 2d6 MDC out to a 18 ft blast radius in fragmentation mode
Pattern-1E---1d4x10 MD to 3 ft blast radius
Bonuses:
Pattern-1A (None) Spin-Stabilized
Pattern-1B (None) Gyro-Compass Chip
Pattern-1C (+1 to strike, in addition to W.P. Heavy bonuses. The Pattern-1C can also be set to be a ‘beam rider’, following a laser illuminator ‘painted’ on the target for an extra +2 to strike. However, this requires expediture of an extra attack per melee on the part of the gunner to keep the laser illuminator on target) Gyro-Compass Chip, Laser-Sensor Microchip, Radar Trigger Chip.
Pattern-1D (+2 to strike, in addition to W.P. Heavy bonuses. Like the Pattern-1C, the Pattern-1D can ‘beam-ride’...again, this requires the gunner to maintain target-lock at the cost of an additional APM, but the -1D is better able to remain on target if the lock is broken. Furthermore, the missile can be keyed to lock on to the laser illuminator of other gunners...done with a pre-determined key-chip...allowing squadmates to ‘paint’ targets for fellow soldiers with micro-missile launchers). Gyro-Compass Chip, Laser-Sensor Microchip, Radar Trigger Chip, Image Sensing Chip.
Pattern-1E(+4 to strike, in addition to W.P. Heavy bonuses, Same ‘beamrider’ capability as with Pattern-1D. ) Gyro-Compass Chip, Laser-Sensor Microchip, Radar Trigger Chip, Image Sensing Chip, Infra-Red Sensing Chip.
Cost:
Pattern-1A 25 credits per McM
Pattern-1B 32 credits per McM
Pattern-1C 60 credits per McM
Pattern-1D 95 credits per McM
Pattern-1E 220 credits per McM

*20mm Micro-Missiles---Adopted from the 20mm ‘Fire Orchid’ ML-SAM launcher system;
Range: 8,000 ft for all types
Damage: (Pattern-2a) 4d4 MD to 2 ft blast radius
(Pattern-2b)6d6 MD to a 5 ft blast radius, or 2d6 MDC out to a 18 ft blast radius in fragmentation mode
(Pattern-2c)(Incendiary)2d4 MD to 5 ft blast radius, does an additional 1d4 burn damage for 2d4 melees
Rate of Fire: Volleys of 1, 3, or 9
Payload: 9-shot clip
Bonuses:(All Patterns)(+3 to strike airborne targets, +1 to strike ground targets) Gyro-Compass Chip, Laser-Sensor Microchip, Radar Trigger Chip, Image Sensing Chip, Infra-Red Sensing Chip.
Special Features:
*Sensor Package---The sensor package includes an IR/Thermal sight, laser rangefinder(2 mile range) and directional mini-radar(2 mile range) with audio-alarm to notify the gunner of target-lock.
Cost: 28,000 credits (3,000 for the launcher assembly, 25,000 for the sighting package)
(Pattern-2a) 90 credits each
(Pattern-2b)130 credits each
(Pattern-2c)150 credits each

f)Mini-Missile Pod---7 shot pod
g)Short-Range Missile Pod----4 shot pod
h)Medium Range Missile---1
i)Light Pulse Laser
Damage: 2d6 MD single shot, 6d6 MD triple pulse burst
Payload: 100 shot battery for conventionally powered models. Effectively Unlimited for nuclear
Cost: 24,000 credits

j)Light Machine Gun---7.62mm GPMG
Range: 9,900 ft
Damage: 6d6 SDC per single round, or 4d6x10 SDC(1d4 MD) per 10 rd burst
Rate of Fire: Standard
Payload: 3,000 rd belt
Cost: 4,000 credits

k)Light Rail Gun---Copies of the Coalition’s own C-200 ‘Dead Man’ rail gun.
Damage: 1d4 MD single rd, 4d6 MD per 20 rd burst
Payload:6,000 rd drum(300 bursts) per gun

Options:
You really didn’t think we wouldn’t have at least a FEW options, did you?

*Pontoons---Fits the Flitter for landing on water. Each pontoon has 7 MDC, and the whol rig adds an additional 180 lbs of weight. Reduce maximum speed by 20% due to drag. Cost: 4,000 credits.

*Remote Control---This outfits the Flitter with an auto-pilot and remote control, allowing the unmanned aircraft to be piloted from a control rig(a flip switch under the dashboard enables this system from the onboard manual controls). Range limited only by communications range. Cost: 20,000 credits

*Silent Running---Specially designed turbofan blades, bearings, and ducting reduce the noise generated by the ‘cement mixers’ by as much as 80%(effectively giving the Flitter a Prowl ability of 60% by auditory cues alone); perfect for urban operations(those complaining neighbors), covert surveillance, or gray ops. Cost: 110,00 credits
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Rifts®”