Race vs. RCC

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

If every Human on the planet were farmers but for a few rare exceptions then they would be an RCC.
They are not. It's just a job. One of many and thus an OCC.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

A uniform definition would be nice.
Dooms' guidelines are pretty much on target.

Human is a race. Humans get basic skills at level one(depending on the setting/game).
Wolfen is a race. They get skills at level one, as well as racial attribute bonuses.
Psi Stalker is an RCC.
Dragon is an RCC.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Vinny
Adventurer

Unread post by Vinny »

An RCC can't get an OCC but a race can.
The Phoenix is Coming!
Vinny
Adventurer

Unread post by Vinny »

K20A2_S wrote:Some R.C.C's can get O.C.C's, but it will state which ones.

True, some RCC have OCCs available, but it tells you which you can choose. If you are an RCC you are limited what you can do. There are exceptions to everything.
The Phoenix is Coming!
Vinny
Adventurer

Unread post by Vinny »

I distinguish between natural ablilities and RCC skills and abilities. I think you should only get those RCC skills if you were brought up in that enviornment (unless it's instictual).
The Phoenix is Coming!
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

In some of the older systems they had OCCs and PCCs the PCC or psychic character class in rifts became RCCs because those psychics are born with the latent ability to use psychic powers. They then grow up concentrating on their powers, skills and abilities. So a Burster that decides to get an OCC instead looses most of his burster powers because he never concentrated on learning them so instead he is simply a master psionic with the particular OCC, since technically the psychic RCCs are basically humans. Just as a dog boy who choses to become some other OCC would probably loose it's ability to stalk supernatural since it is a learned skill, however like other animals they would probably still have a sixth sense vs. supernatural.

I could have sworn that there was some rule somewhere that stated they lost all special abilities of the RCC and half the skills and only gained half the skills of the OCC but I don't recall where I saw that.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Think of it in reverse it's actually in order to get x powers you can only select these RCC's who are locked with these skills. Otherwise that Dogboy with another OCC is simply a mutant dog go to TMNT, AtB or HU and make one up. A burster or mindmelter without the dedication to hone their powers is just a random master psionicist. A dragon hatchling... well you can't be much else if all your knowledge is genetically stored anyway.

Basically like someone else said there ways of keeping the PC from getting too munchy by limiting their skills for special powers.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

To start back from scratch

a race is a species of sentient being, with more or less consistent attributes, appareance, and possibly powers and abilities.

A race is not necessarily tied to an occuppation, and is usually allowed to choose an OCC , possibly with restrictions.

An RCC is a character class, with skill package, and possibly special abilities and powers, that is specific to a given race. In many cases, members of a given race are also member of an RCC (possibly the one RCC) tied to that race.

The confusion between the two comes from the fact that in many cases, the race and RCC are one : all members of the race belong to the RCC too... but that isn't necessarily the case.

For instance, I'll take examples from Splynn D market ; the Plant People and Rulian Translators systematically belong to the one RCC tied to their races, there is perfect confusion between race and RCC. On the other hand, Octomen and Pythonans, while they have special abilities from their races, also systematically take an additional OCC, within specific guidelines.

Alternately, such "OCCs" as the Noro Mystic Warrior and Noro Psychic, or the True Atlantean Vampire Slayer could be regarded as RCCs, because no members of other races ever take them, or can belong to them.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
TechnicDragon
D-Bee

Re: Race vs. RCC

Unread post by TechnicDragon »

Okay, may I offer this for a defining difference? RCCs have experience tables for leveling, whereas Races do not.
Eagle
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Eagle »

This basically goes back to old school D&D. Back in the old old old days, you had character classes for "Elf" and "Dwarf". You could be a 6th level Elf. No character class other than 6 levels of being an Elf, with Elf style abilities.

An RCC is like that. It's representative of the "average adventurer" member of that race. They will appear most often as an opponent. Think of it as a custom OCC that is only available to members of that race.
While there may be variations within the race that don't fit the RCC (in Star Trek I'm sure there are Klingon farmers, and janitors, and day care workers), but you're generally not going to encounter them.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

Rise thread of old.... RISE! And let us see if this too shall fall to the Paladins of the Mod Team, turned and sealed behind the forever lock!
Oderint Dum Metuant.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

TechnicDragon wrote:Okay, may I offer this for a defining difference? RCCs have experience tables for leveling, whereas Races do not.

The three Hawrk species in WB2 are listed as RCCs but have no experience tables for them.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Topic Locked.
NMI wrote:In order to put a current issue to rest

Necro-Posting:
Necro-Posting wrote: [modified] The act of posting in a forum thread that has served it's purpose.
Usually by new, inexperienced members of the board.

A common trait of someone necroposting is not to only bring one old thread back from the last page before deletion, but to fill up the entire first page with threads that only they seem to think have relevance to anything.

Necro-Posting is an annoying act throughout the interwebs. In some places it may be more sociably accepted than others. Here on the Palladium Books - Forums of the Megaverse, it is not. Until such a time that we, the moderation team have the ability to auto-lock topics, we ask that you refrain from necroposting.

If a topic is 12 months old, please start a new topic and if you need to, either:
  1. Quote the original topic and/or
  2. link to the original topic
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.

Return to “Rifts®”