Clarification on the automatic dodge.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

no. they get PP bonuses, as well as specific bonuses to AUTOMATIC dodge as opposed to regular dodge. to date the only thing that provides that is Hand to Hand Commando. that's the offical rule.

also, I rule that OCC bonuses are also added to autododge, because otherwise the juicer is a lot less effective.

also, any magical or psionic bonus to dodge also applys to autododge, but again that's just me.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

It allows you to dodge an attack without using a melee attack, and doesn't use the normal dodge bonuses from a high PP score. It does however get its own bonuses, listed as a specific bonus to Automatic Dodge in the description of whatever OCC, power, device, etc. is providing the ability. If no bonus is listed, then it is just a straight roll.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

DrakhanValane wrote:GMG pg.33 "How does an Auto-Dodge Work?" Specifically states you *do* get PP bonuses.

You're right, I remembered wrong.

Sometimes it's hard to keep track of all the different versions of Auto-Dodge between Rifts, HU, N&S, etc. :P

My above post should be amended thusly:

It allows you to dodge an attack without using a melee attack, and doesn't use the normal dodge bonuses provided by hand to hand combat skill, physical skills, etc.

It does however get a bonus from a high PP score, and any specific bonuses to Automatic Dodge listed in the description of whatever OCC, power, device, etc. is providing the ability. If no bonus is listed, then it is just a straight roll.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Nightshade wrote:I think that either the pp bonuses or occ bonus has to be used in the case of juicers. Otherwise, a CS special forces guy will have a better or equal bonus to dodge as the juicer. Seems a bit paradoxical to me.

Thanks Drakhen Valane, for the page number.

I give them them BOTH. it's how they were in the begining, and frankly they rocked because of it.

I think the only confusion came with the Commando, where they ment to imply that the Commando only got specific bonuses to autododge rather than normal ones becasue, frankly, a normal, unenhanced human moving that fast really is damn near impossible and only training that helps would help them.

but it unintentionally hurt juicers and the like that had it beforehand. . .
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Atramentus wrote:
Tyciol wrote:You know, in all interests of making sense, they should go back to what it was originally, which was simply dodging using normal bonuses without taking an action. The whole bonuses specifically for auto-dodge thing is rather recent I believe... has anyone seen it before CWC?

Is there even such a thing in Rifts as an auto-dodge before the CWC came out?

yes. . . the juicers in Rifts main book had it as an OCC ability.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

the only complaint i have with autododge is that it has no limits. you can do it forever.

thats why i assume you have as many Auto-dodges as you have normal attacks, and once you out of Auto's, you have to use normal ones. you still don't use attacks to auto-dodge, but it adds a "fatigue Factor", where the person can only dodge so much.

this makes juciers and others with the ability less munch.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

TechnoMancer wrote:I would imagine auto-Dodge would work the way they altered Auto-parry.

IE you can do it as long as you have attacks... once you are out of attacks you are in trouble.

when did they alter auto-parry?

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

TechnoMancer wrote:I think it's in the GM guide, but I'm not sure. I could have sworn I read a new rule that states once you are out of attacks, you are out of parries.

nope, though that is a houserule in some areas, probablly then, but it was never changed.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

TechnoMancer wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
TechnoMancer wrote:I think it's in the GM guide, but I'm not sure. I could have sworn I read a new rule that states once you are out of attacks, you are out of parries.

nope, though that is a houserule in some areas, probablly then, but it was never changed.

Nope not a house rule... found it.

http://www.palladium-megaverse.com/ques ... bat13.html

13: How many times can a character parry? Can John parry(automatic) an attack from bill and mike and still have his attack to use?
Answer: A character can parry equal to their number of attacks (actions) per melee round. If they have automatic parry then can also still attack.

So you can only parry a number of attacks per round equal to your base number of attacks.

sadly, even that is unoffical material. while it is Palladiums FAQ and Q&A, the answers are still unoffical, handed by a friend of palladium but are still not offical. much like the Rifters are unoffical. santioned by palladium but still optional and are not cannon.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

TechnoMancer wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:sadly, even that is unoffical material. while it is Palladiums FAQ and Q&A, the answers are still unoffical, handed by a friend of palladium but are still not offical. much like the Rifters are unoffical. santioned by palladium but still optional and are not cannon.

So the information on the Palladium Official FAQ is unofficial. Hmmm.... can you direct to a place where they state it's not Cannon? Otherwise I have to admit to having a REAL hard time following your logic.

What you are suggesting is kinda like Palladium going... "Uh.. here is some rules.. but they aren't right.. hehehe..."

that's it. it's not done by palladium at all. it was done by a friend who decided to take up some slack.

as to where I got this information, it's from Maryann. and she was right there while all this was going on.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

TechnoMancer wrote:So Palladium posted wrong information on their web site... for what? Fun and laughs?

I'm not sure why a company would post bad information on their website. Sure if it's wrong and they don't know that's cool... they should take it down if it's not right. The fact it's been up there for something like 6 years seems to suggest...

1. They have the laziest web admin in the world who after 6 years still hasn't gotten around to doing their job by removing bad info.

2. They support it.

3. For some bizzare reason, they still don't realize it's there.

no it dosnt' make much sense.

but they did.

and if you won't take my word for it, ask.

Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

TechnoMancer wrote:So Palladium posted wrong information on their web site... for what? Fun and laughs?

I'm not sure why a company would post bad information on their website. Sure if it's wrong and they don't know that's cool... they should take it down if it's not right. The fact it's been up there for something like 6 years seems to suggest...

1. They have the laziest web admin in the world who after 6 years still hasn't gotten around to doing their job by removing bad info.

2. They support it.

3. For some bizzare reason, they still don't realize it's there.

None of the above. The old FAQ was simply a fan attempt at providing answers to various rules questions. It was provided as a courtesy to other fans, but was still at best only semi-official. It was also discontinued months ago and the FAQ link on the Palladium website now points to the Q&A forum here on the message boards. Of course, it is no more or less official either, as the only available source of information is the books themselves, which inspire the questions to begin with.

Return to “Rifts®”