Power, we need more power, Cap'n!!!!

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Lazrous wrote:Just remembered that in South America 2 is the Megaversal Legion that uses a cool new power supply. Only problem is the only ones that know it's design is the Megaversal Legion.

well, ya know, ANYTHING can be stole, plans, people, even thoughts right out of their heads if you do it right. . . :D
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
R Ditto
Hero
Comment: It is hard to be alone. I was 18 when dad died, 38 when mom died. No grand kids or daughter in law for mom. Why, God, why?

Unread post by R Ditto »

Don't underestimate internal combustion.
High capacity power storage systems would work nice, and a small portable gas powered generator would be handy for recharging.

Sound crazy?
A single horsepower is equal to 750 watts of power.
That means a small 5 horsepower engine, with a generator that was a measly 50% efficient, could generate 1875 watts of power.
Now, if a 1500 horsepower tank engine had only 150 horsepower diverted into powering an electric generator that was 90% effecient, it could put out a good 10 kilowatts of power.

A thermal-electric generator 'fueled' by radioisotopes might need to improve power output by about 100 times or more (compared to todays RTGs) for a PA sized power source with an output of just a few kilowatts.
Stirling engine tech could improve that by a good amount.

An actual nuclear reactor with steam turbines is another matter entirely. A nuke sub has steam turbines rated upwards of 30,000 horsepower. That's a good 20 years of a power output up to 22 megawatts.

While some sort of high efficiency power storage system might have limited operational time, it could easily operate at levels that can't be matched by nuke powered PA/vehicles stuck with 'lower output' thermo-electric or striling engine based generators.

Electrically powered stuff. Cheap, effective, dozens of things useable to recharge them. A simple bike pedal system connected to a generator can generate a nice 125 watts of power.
Never Give Up, Never Lose Hope, Never Surrender!
The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance!!
Boldly going forward, 'cause I can't find reverse.
Dr. Watson; Proving that being wrong is one step closer to being right.
It is hard being alone.
Capt. Meschievitz
Explorer
Comment: You are the greatest project you will ever work on... never give up.

Unread post by Capt. Meschievitz »

watching TV and getting fit on the exercise bike nice...
after 20 odd years of the same character time has come......
Adam of the Old Kingdom
Adventurer

Unread post by Adam of the Old Kingdom »

Energon, the answer is energon!

seriously though, the gel is a nice idea.
Fusion reactors are nice and easy, no worrying about fuel, the cost of it, where to get it in outer reagions, the infrastructure to distribute it. easy to do fusion.

But this has gotten us used to the somewhat improbable minifusion reactor in a PA.

Do if you want to bring that sort of fueling detail, more power to you.
Munchkin Cat Minion
R Ditto
Hero
Comment: It is hard to be alone. I was 18 when dad died, 38 when mom died. No grand kids or daughter in law for mom. Why, God, why?

Unread post by R Ditto »

I dug up some info on RTGs.

NASA has used the tech since the 1970's, and still uses and advances the tech. One newer system uses 18 separate units, each 5x10cm, to generate a total of 290 watts. A single 5x10cm unit, with a stirling engine, could produce 55 watts (compared to roughly 16 watts for a non-stirling engine unit). The 'lifespan' is supposed to be just shy of 30 years.

Now imagine that after 94 more years of advancement. They've already gone from a few dozen watts to 290 watts in just 30 years, and new breakthroughs in the thermal electric converters are supposed to be right around the corner, if not already here. By 2098, there will probably be 5x10cm units that can easily put out over a thousand watts.

For fusion tech... the only place I see that is alien cyborgs listed as decades ahead of anything on Rifts Earth, big fusion drives on MiO spaceships, and at very advanced places like Phase World...
Oh, I can't forget about Heroes Unlimited 2ed... a few million bucks and you can cram a micro-fusion reactor in a freaking dog sized/shaped robot... but then again, there are alien influences coming out of the wood work there...

On a side note, so called "steam-punk" stuff comes to mind.
45 pounds of water (6 gallons?) per hour converted to steam (900 btu per pound of water heated to useable steam?) to produce a single horsepower to generate 750 watts of energy. Get a nice steam engine/piston system with a 300 horse power rating, and we're talking crazy stuff like a steam powered mech that has a good 250 kilowatts of energy output... or perhaps taking an old steam locomotive and converting it into a steam powered mech... a few thousand horsepower worth of all mighty steam power. A steam powered mech with power hitting the megawatt range...
Behold, the power of steam! :eek:

Who needs nuke power?!?! Give me a TW/Elemental powered steam engine! :lol: :demon:

Or how about removing the nuke material from an RTG and using the fire warlock spell of "eternal flame" as the heat source? 75 PPE for a heat source that will last a few thousand years. :D

Or rigging a lightning rod to a bunch of quick charge capacitors and power transformers and then hitting the setup with some good old fashioned all natural lightning. Then use all the stored energy for who knows what.

And now I realize I should have gone to bed over an hour ago... looks like I have to much steam myself right now. :D
It is hard being alone.
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

R. Ditto started speaking of Sirling engines... What's that? is it Rifts stuff I don't know about, real world technology, or something out of SF that I've yet to come across? (huge holes in my culture, I have to admit)

As for TW steam engines... what were the Tolkeen Juggernauts all about? ;-)

and since there have been figures quoted as to the enregy output of some engines... anybody know the energy needed to power a bot or suit of PA?

also... I'd go much more easily with micro fusion reactors being around than with the idea or having a SAMAS carrying a micro *fission* reactor (the text says "nuclear" so it has to be either of those), good for 20 years without refueling... given the rate a modern nuclear reactor has to be refueled, even if great progresses are made in reactor efficiency, I can't believe that fission can fit the bill : not so small, nor for so long. Then again, since Rifts earth may very well be the direct heir of HU earth, ther is nothing to say that there were no alien influences in our mastering fusion technology.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Uncle Servo
Champion

Unread post by Uncle Servo »

R Ditto wrote:Electrically powered stuff. Cheap, effective, dozens of things useable to recharge them. A simple bike pedal system connected to a generator can generate a nice 125 watts of power.

For some reason, my head is now filled with images of a gritty, tough-guy merc pedalling furiously on an exercise bike that's connected to his SAMAS battery.

Merc #1:"Hey Skullbuster, wanna beer?"
Skullbuster:*pant* "No thanks..." *pant* "gotta..." *pant* "charge.. up..." *pant* "my suit..." *pant* "for the raid..." *pant* "on the..." *pant* "supply depot..." *pant* "tomorrow..." *pant*

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
My Artwork Samples Set on Deviant Art
Hi! I'm Danger, but today I'll be Uncle Servo's Sock Puppet. -- Danger
US <Uncle> saves the day again. -- RockJock
And Servo has engineered another good idea. -- Sentinel
R Ditto
Hero

Unread post by R Ditto »

DarkWarriorKarg wrote:"Steam! The world shall be saved by steam!"

- Prof. Steamhead, Ninja High School

Yep, I had something like that in mind. That and something from an anime called Robot Carnival, with two big 'mechs' fighting in Japan around 16-1700's (IIRC). I think one was steam powered, the other was a walking battery stockpile and the pilot was a mad scientist with pedal bike hooked up to a generator...
I can see a steam powered mech packing more energy weapons than a nuke powered robot. :D

svartalf wrote:R. Ditto started speaking of Sirling engines... What's that? is it Rifts stuff I don't know about, real world technology, or something out of SF that I've yet to come across? (huge holes in my culture, I have to admit)

Stirling was some guy from long ago who created an interesting system kind of called a "hot air" engine that operated simply by having a hot side and a cold side. It was meant to be an alternative to steam engines, since boilers back then had a habit of exploding.
One recent version actually worked just off the heat of a human hand. (although it was more of a novelty than anything else.)

Stirling Engine info sources
http://www.stirlingengine.com/
http://www.stirlingengine.com/faq/one?scope=public&faq_id=1

As for TW steam engines... what were the Tolkeen Juggernauts all about? ;-)

I haven't looked in any SoT books much, at least not in a year at least (except the one with CKs).
I was thinking as an alternative power source for various things, I never really though about the IJ's.

and since there have been figures quoted as to the enregy output of some engines... anybody know the energy needed to power a bot or suit of PA?

I've estimated a PA might need a few hundred to a few thousand watts to operate at full capacity, perhaps another few thousand watts for multiple or high power energy weapons.
Larger vehicles and robots probably need a few times as much or more, perhaps a few dozen times more for heavier ones or ones packing a lot of energy weapons.

also... I'd go much more easily with micro fusion reactors being around than with the idea or having a SAMAS carrying a micro *fission* reactor (the text says "nuclear" so it has to be either of those), good for 20 years without refueling... given the rate a modern nuclear reactor has to be refueled, even if great progresses are made in reactor efficiency, I can't believe that fission can fit the bill : not so small, nor for so long. Then again, since Rifts earth may very well be the direct heir of HU earth, ther is nothing to say that there were no alien influences in our mastering fusion technology.

Can't fit the bill?
Technology is always advancing, and during the golden age, it will likely have advanced at an even faster and greater rate.
If we have man sized systems putting out 290 watts using a bunch (18 total) of 2x4in "General Purpose Heat Sources" (each containing 4 iridium-clad Pu238 fuel pellets), then 94 more years of advancement, including a few decades of rapid advancements, makes it seem even more possible to me that such a system could be made both small and very efficient.

Another factor is that nuclear material is expensive, and some nuke powered things seems to cost millions upon millions of dollars more than non-nuke ones, indicating a nuclear power source with a dangerous and not to common fuel source (which needs a lot of time and care to handle safely). Those high prices are not of some small, clean efficient power source that has potential fuel sources being more common than dirt.

Some civilian vehicles in Rifts have no energy weapons, and nuke powered ones only cost a few hundred thousand credits more than other versions, which makes sense for something that doesn't need that much power at all, needing little nuclear material. For military vehicles, I've seen nuke powered ones costing a good 10-20 million credits more compared to gas/electric ones costing a few million or less.

For fusion power... well, considering you have to maintain and contain a reaction with temperatures into millions of degrees and extremely high pressures, I think such a thing is poorly suited for things like PA and such, especially since a powerful "magnetic bottle" and insulation against neutron radiation is needed to make it work "safely".
Any fusion power plants in Rifts that are based on "native human tech", IMHO, would be limited to bases, cities, larger naval ships, and perhaps really BIG vehicles (Like the CS Firestorm or original DHT), or perhaps a CS APC (the original one) that has been converted into a mobile fusion power plant.

RTG = size of a man, and in use for 30-40 years. Excellent potential power source in 90 years. (BTW, Russia actually used these things on a large scale, that is, modern day russia has like 1000 nuke powered lighthouses with aging RTGs! I'm not making this up!)

Fusion Reactor (found a pic of one) = bigger than a house, a test "pulse" generated 16mw... but required 23mw just to create that energy. One goal I saw was to get one to run for 400 seconds...

Hmm... Man sized to smaller than shoe box size in 90 years? Or bigger than a house and no fully sustainable to smaller than a shoe box and lasting 20 years in 90 years?
The RTG setup still seems more likely to me.

RTG info sources.
http://www.uic.com.au/nip82.htm
http://me.eng.sunysb.edu/~mec290/rtgs/page5.html

And yes, I'm stuborn and persistant at times... and I have nothing better to do... :demon:
It is hard being alone.
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

You know Mr Ditto... I'm the same :thwak: ... and I like to get to the bottom of things.

My point, whether you agree or not... is that in all likelihood, we're reaching the bottom line of what can be achieved with fission style reactors : given the elements we're using as fuel, and the amount of shielding necessary to avoid leaking hard rays all over the landscape, I'm not sure we can improve what we've already got *much* in the way of compactness, energy output, ease of use and safety... or the nuclear industry would be marketing its progresses much more aggressively than the great unwashed public knows yet.

on the other hand, fusion is yet in its infancy... it can't help *but* improving, and getting more powerful, more compact and more practical.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
NoJack
Explorer

Unread post by NoJack »

Then there is the nuclear (gamma ray really) reactor the airforce is looking to put in their global hawks.

It is as simple as firing x-rays through a material that is normally used to controll fission reactions(can't remember the name of it right now) The result: Gamma rays and a lot of heat. The heat they plan on piping staight into the Jet turbine.

It is fairly compact, not shoebox sized by a far cry, but for a larger bot, or an APC the amount of shielding wouldn't be all that bad.
Dude... It's a tall guy dressed in black, with a weird, glowy weapon thing, and we're a couple of guards in matching shiny armor...

Return to “Rifts®”