Just wondering

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Larsen
Adventurer

Just wondering

Unread post by Larsen »

Hi i was just wondering if anyone has actually gotten their character to lvl 15? the highest i ever got a character was lvl 10 before they died. And now that i look back he shouldn't have gotten that far the GM was being too generous and i was too new to realize it.
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Unread post by Drakenred®™© »

16th level fire Dragon

And yes It took a long time.

at least it took a lot of time in the real world, the way that campain ran it took just under three years In game time
冠双
Preacher
Hero
Comment: My Thermonuclear level defense of Palladium is neither condoned nor endorsed by Palladium Books.

Unread post by Preacher »

Nope. To give you a little insight into my games level advancement. The group that I GM for (Now on pause) has been using the same characters for almost five years now and most of the team is about half way through 8th level.
ImageImage Yeah I like guns. Image
I pledge allegiance to this flag, if that bothers you well that's too bad!!!
LDMcFear™
Explorer

Unread post by LDMcFear™ »

My Highest level character is an 11th lvl Mind Melter. But i've been playing him since 1993
RoadWarriorFWaNK
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: on a death march

Unread post by RoadWarriorFWaNK »

ive never had a character get above 4th level. Our groups always break up first, or i get bored and play someone new.
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

12th level fallen cosmo-knight, he's still my fave character yes... I don't understand why it takes to long to advance in Rifts with some gm's... guess they don't know what they're doing with xp awards. :-P
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Vrykolas2k wrote:12th level fallen cosmo-knight, he's still my fave character yes... I don't understand why it takes to long to advance in Rifts with some gm's... guess they don't know what they're doing with xp awards. :-P

it may just be me, but i'm a huge fan of nice, even numbers with zeros at the end.

money and XP I award in increments of 100
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Vrykolas2k wrote:12th level fallen cosmo-knight, he's still my fave character yes... I don't understand why it takes to long to advance in Rifts with some gm's... guess they don't know what they're doing with xp awards. :-P

I love to hear you tell that to big Kev... seeing how he created Rifts...
Hystrix, the Post Killer, Destroyer of Threads
Vrykolas2k
Champion

Hystrix wrote:

I love to hear you tell that to big Kev... seeing how he created Rifts...

What does that have to do with how gm's award/ don't award xp? I've caught one awarding LESS than minimum xp, and it was a very tough night.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

High level characters == too powerful

Unread post by Subjugator »

Actually, I was going to say I guess they *do* know what they're doing. In a game that tends to lend itself to Monty and his Munchkins, experience points are one point where most GMs do a pretty good job of NOT going overboard.

The highest level character I've ever had in ANY Rifts game was eighth level and it took me four years to get there playing about ten hours a week. We ended up retiring that campaign for one reason...despite the fact that we were actually holding pretty steady on equipment (no Munchies) we were still too powerful. At high levels, RPA pilots get insane numbers of attacks while in their armor. Imagine a Glitter Boy with twelve attacks per round combined with a Line Walker who has Carpet of Adhesion or Magic Net and you'll see where I'm going.

Strangely, one of the most powerful classes there is to start out with has declining marginal utility at higher levels...specifically, the Conservator. Statewise, they're pretty much as powerful as they're going to get. Increases in rank, cash, equipment, and the like will make them more powerful as they advance, but ultimately they remain fairly close to what they started out as.

Face it, Rifts is a game that tends toward the use of low to mid level characters. It's not bad for that (in fact, it's my favorite RPG)...it's just one that becomes a bit top-heavy at high levels. I have to think that the sole reason adult dragons are the way they are and the fact that we have stats for Nxla is because of high level characters.
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
Vrykolas2k
Champion

Re: High level characters == too powerful

Subjugator wrote:

Actually, I was going to say I guess they *do* know what they're doing. In a game that tends to lend itself to Monty and his Munchkins, experience points are one point where most GMs do a pretty good job of NOT going overboard.

The highest level character I've ever had in ANY Rifts game was eighth level and it took me four years to get there playing about ten hours a week. We ended up retiring that campaign for one reason...despite the fact that we were actually holding pretty steady on equipment (no Munchies) we were still too powerful. At high levels, RPA pilots get insane numbers of attacks while in their armor. Imagine a Glitter Boy with twelve attacks per round combined with a Line Walker who has Carpet of Adhesion or Magic Net and you'll see where I'm going.

Strangely, one of the most powerful classes there is to start out with has declining marginal utility at higher levels...specifically, the Conservator. Statewise, they're pretty much as powerful as they're going to get. Increases in rank, cash, equipment, and the like will make them more powerful as they advance, but ultimately they remain fairly close to what they started out as.

Face it, Rifts is a game that tends toward the use of low to mid level characters. It's not bad for that (in fact, it's my favorite RPG)...it's just one that becomes a bit top-heavy at high levels. I have to think that the sole reason adult dragons are the way they are and the fact that we have stats for Nxla is because of high level characters.

I don't know, my 12th level fallen cosmo still has a tough time against a LOT of threats which certainly aren't on par with an adult dragon or Nxla... and the rest of the group is 11th-13th levels. Then again, none of us are "power gamerz" as such, so Monty and his Munchkins don't usually show up... we tend not to like munchkins, and either evict them when they show up or they adapt to the way we do things. I never understood how you could get a workable gb with carpet of adhesion unless the mage stayed close enough to cast the spell on the gb... after all, it being environmental and I remember a rule staing that magic can't be used by the wearer of an environmental armour, the user him/ herself couldn't activate the spell...

Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Re: High level characters == too powerful

Unread post by Subjugator »

Vrykolas2k wrote:I don't know, my 12th level fallen cosmo still has a tough time against a LOT of threats which certainly aren't on par with an adult dragon or Nxla... and the rest of the group is 11th-13th levels. Then again, none of us are "power gamerz" as such, so Monty and his Munchkins don't usually show up... we tend not to like munchkins, and either evict them when they show up or they adapt to the way we do things. I never understood how you could get a workable gb with carpet of adhesion unless the mage stayed close enough to cast the spell on the gb... after all, it being environmental and I remember a rule staing that magic can't be used by the wearer of an environmental armour, the user him/ herself couldn't activate the spell...

Actually, re: carpet of adhesion, I was thinking of a secondary player (Line Walker or something) getting close enough to cast carpet of adhesion on one's targets, so you have a captive audien...err...target. Nail a borg with that so he's facing the wrong way and open up on him with the boom gun and I'm willing to bet you see cooperation and surrender pretty quickly.
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
Shadyslug
Hero
Comment: Ding ding ding there goes my wagon...

Re: Just wondering

Unread post by Shadyslug »

Larsen wrote:Hi i was just wondering if anyone has actually gotten their character to lvl 15? the highest i ever got a character was lvl 10 before they died. And now that i look back he shouldn't have gotten that far the GM was being too generous and i was too new to realize it.

The highest I ever got someone was 10th...that was my Rahu Man Linewalker...

But that's also a couple years of gaming with the same guy.

Since then...I usually either start at level 3 or 4 and end up at 5 or 6, or we just make characters based on what we needed...
Often times, we must atone for the sins of the father...

Return to “Rifts®”