Wilderness Barbarians

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hystrix
Champion

Wilderness Barbarians

Unread post by Hystrix »

I am soooo crossing my fingers for this little OCC that will be in World Book 26: Dinasour Swamp. This OCC should have been in Rifts from the beginning.

It should be good as long as Standard Equipment dosn't include an MD Laser Rilfe and Pistol of Choose with 5 extra eclips for each... :shock:
Hystrix, the Post Killer, Destroyer of Threads
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

You're jinxin' me, guys!
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Geronimo wrote:Welll, their weapons are probably made from Dino teeth (MD Knife or spear). Their armor probably made from Dino hide (MD loincloth).

You know, I could live with that to an extent, because those weapons (while MD in nature) are still low-tech. However, even though a weapon is made of MD materials it dosen't always do Mega-Damage (i.e. Neural Mace). Still I'm looking forward to seeing what Dinasour Swamp has to offer...
Todd Yoho
Adventurer

Unread post by Todd Yoho »

Tyciol wrote:Barbarian SAMAS, rail gun that shoots throwing axes.

I knew I left something out... :D

Dinosaur Swamp was written as very, very low tech. However, characters (and players) underestimating the region or its inhabitants because of that will be in for some surprises. 8)
Insert 400 character limit here.
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Todd Yoho wrote:
Tyciol wrote:Dinosaur Swamp was written as very, very low tech.

Rock on, Todd! That's what I wanted to here! :D
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

why do ya wanna see a barbarian OCC so darn bad?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

Pooh21 wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:why do ya wanna see a barbarian OCC so darn bad?

half nekkid barbarian chicks in bronto hide armor and pointy stick, being a pleasant change from half nekkid biker chicks in tech armor, with Naruni plasmacartridge miniguns :fl:

FINALLY!! We can see half nekkid barbarian chicks in bronto hide armor and pointy sticks AND their girlfriends, the half nekkid biker chicks in tech armor with naruni plasma cartridge miniguns!

Don't forget to mention that all barbs have auto-dodge. Why? So they never have to wear armor...and they all have austrian accents.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

DarkBrandon wrote:
Pooh21 wrote:

half nekkid barbarian chicks in bronto hide armor and pointy stick, being a pleasant change from half nekkid biker chicks in tech armor, with Naruni plasmacartridge miniguns :fl:

FINALLY!! We can see half nekkid barbarian chicks in bronto hide armor and pointy sticks AND their girlfriends, the half nekkid biker chicks in tech armor with naruni plasma cartridge miniguns!

Don't forget to mention that all barbs have auto-dodge. Why? So they never have to wear armor...and they all have austrian accents.

You're forgetting these are Deep South barbarians. [insert Deliverance joke here]
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Todd Yoho
Adventurer

Tinker Dragoon wrote: [insert Deliverance joke here]

A banjo "twangs" quietly in the distance...
The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Re: Wilderness Barbarians

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

Hystrix wrote:I am soooo crossing my fingers for this little OCC that will be in World Book 26: Dinasour Swamp. This OCC should have been in Rifts from the beginning.

It should be good as long as Standard Equipment dosn't include an MD Laser Rilfe and Pistol of Choose with 5 extra eclips for each... :shock:

You are SOO going to be disapointed.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Ahem!

Because it has always been a theory of mine that there where more primitive societies one Rifts Earth, even in North America. However, other than a short section in the Adventure Guide, there wasn't much on these simple people. Sure they may not be much of a challenge to you average player character (who are typically armed to the teeth), but they are there, and should had some color to the game. Besides, it could be the tribal medicine man who saves the PC from the vicious snike bite he incurred.

That, and I'm running a low-tech campain relitivly soon, and I'd like some more "canon" source material. Plus I wanna see another persons take on the Barbarian/Tribal.

Oh, and I though Spirit West was overdone, and wanted some toned down version of "low-tech" cultures.

That's why I want to see the Barbarian cultures... :)
Hystrix
Champion

Re: Wilderness Barbarians

Unread post by Hystrix »

The Artist Formerly wrote:
Hystrix wrote:I am soooo crossing my fingers for this little OCC that will be in World Book 26: Dinasour Swamp. This OCC should have been in Rifts from the beginning.

You are SOO going to be disapointed.

Why have you read the script?
LDMcFear™
Explorer

Unread post by LDMcFear™ »

Hystrix wrote:

Ahem!

Because it has always been a theory of mine that there where more primitive societies one Rifts Earth, even in North America. However, other than a short section in the Adventure Guide, there wasn't much on these simple people. Sure they may not be much of a challenge to you average player character (who are typically armed to the teeth), but they are there, and should had some color to the game. Besides, it could be the tribal medicine man who saves the PC from the vicious snike bite he incurred.

That, and I'm running a low-tech campain relitivly soon, and I'd like some more "canon" source material. Plus I wanna see another persons take on the Barbarian/Tribal.

Oh, and I though Spirit West was overdone, and wanted some toned down version of "low-tech" cultures.

That's why I want to see the Barbarian cultures... :)

I totaly agree with Hystrix on this topic, Tribal/barbarians in Rifts should resemble something like what we saw in Fallout 2 RPG from Interplay / Black Isle Studios.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

while i agree with you guys, rifts needs more "primitive cultures" (in quotes because all things are relative), i would recommend not referring to them as barbarians.

the term "Barbarian" originated with the romans, and meant wilderness dweller, or anyone who didn't live in a roman city.

it took on the meaning of Primitive due to the romans arrogance, their belief that they where the pinicales of creation. it encouraged the view that because they where different, these other cultures where less advanced.

many historical "barbarian" groups where actually more advanced than the cultures that dubbed them barbarian.

the people of Europe called the Muslims "Barbarians" during the crusades, but the Muslim culture was far more developed than those of europe.

China and Japan were referred to as barbaric when the first Europeans arrived, because the asian cultures had choose to retain elements of their ancestry.

the Norse (often called the Vikings), are the most well known "Barbarians", but they had advanced metallurgy and seafaring technology well ahead of their contemporaries, and while they never created a single empire, their influence affected France, Germany, Russia, England, much of the Mediterranean, and even into Asia. the cultures of these area's would not have existed as we know them with out Norse Influence.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Todd Yoho
Adventurer

glitterboy2098 wrote:while i agree with you guys, rifts needs more "primitive cultures" (in quotes because all things are relative), i would recommend not referring to them as barbarians.

the term "Barbarian" originated with the romans, and meant wilderness dweller, or anyone who didn't live in a roman city.

The use of the term "barbarian" in Dinosaur Swamp is built on several references in other canonical publications. Further, it's as much a contextual reference to how people would view the natives of the south east in the Rifts world as it is the classical Roman use of the word as you point out. It all depends on the point of view. You've cited one in which it is used as a perjorative, and I am quite aware of it. Like many words, it can be used in a derogatgory sense or it can simply serve as an identifying marker.

In fact, it's much like the term "D-Bee." To the Coalition, it's meant as a racial slur. To others, it's a generic adjective. To some, it could even be a mark of pride.

I did put a little bit of though into the language of the book you know. ;)
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

i know you know, but does everyone who reads this thread know?

many people use such terms because it is an accepted part of the language, and give no thought, or know nothing of a words or terms origins.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

glitterboy2098 wrote:i know you know, but does everyone who reads this thread know?

many people use such terms because it is an accepted part of the language, and give no thought, or know nothing of a words or terms origins.

please give us SOME credit Nimmy
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

That's not Nimmy, that's just the same avatar Nimmy uses.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Tinker Dragoon wrote:That's not Nimmy, that's just the same avatar Nimmy uses.

bah, that's what I get for starting to read people by avatars than names. that, and the post sounded like him

sorry glitterboy. my bad

Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

glitterboy2098 wrote:i know you know, but does everyone who reads this thread know?

Most people aren't anal enough to care about the semantics. In gaming terms when people see "barbarian" they think of Conan. It's a gaming archetype, not cultural bigotry.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

i know, but better knowledge than ignorance.

personally i try to avoid the term barbarian as a class name, though using it as a descriptor in characher works.

(for example, i call the D&D barabarian class a beserker, since thats what the stats indicate.)

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

glitterboy2098 wrote:i know, but better knowledge than ignorance.)

shhhhh :quiet:

keep talking like that and the whole game will break. I mean, if you try to apply stuff like phisics and aerodynamics and military tactics to RIFTS, the whole game system collapses.

Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

glitterboy2098 wrote:i know, but better knowledge than ignorance.

personally i try to avoid the term barbarian as a class name, though using it as a descriptor in characher works.

(for example, i call the D&D barabarian class a beserker, since thats what the stats indicate.)

It isn't ignorance, it is a valid definition of the word.

Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Tinker Dragoon wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:i know, but better knowledge than ignorance.

It isn't ignorance, it is a valid definition of the word.

And it's all off topic!

Anyway, the point I was trying to make is that these Barbarians sound cool, and I'm interested to see what Todd has whipped up. I also like how he said on this thread that his book was very low tech. Kinda like a reverse (or a balence) of the power creep.

BTW, Todd is the book done?
Todd Yoho
Adventurer

Hystrix wrote:BTW, Todd is the book done?

Oh, yes. I turned the manuscript in back in February. Hopefully the June press release will have a definite date for it to hit the stands.
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Todd Yoho wrote:
Hystrix wrote:BTW, Todd is the book done?

Oh, yes. I turned the manuscript in back in February. Hopefully the June press release will have a definite date for it to hit the stands.

Sweet! I have a good feeling about this book! :D
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Yep, I'm jazzed for it, and I don't normally even buy Rifts books. :D

Return to “Rifts®”