City of Whykin

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RoadWarriorFWaNK
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: on a death march

City of Whykin

Unread post by RoadWarriorFWaNK »

So there's a paragraph in the main book and a some more info in Juicer Uprisings. Has anything else been written on Whykin?
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Aftermath, page 144. Though its nothing new. Some additional text there on Missouri may have some effect on Whykin however.
Shin Kenshiro

Unread post by Shin Kenshiro »

Question: Is Whykin an actual city in Missouri or is it a ficticious creation? I'm curious, and the net's acting funny so I can't check Mapquest, nor do I have any US Atlas's lying around. Thanks, I appreciate it.
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Shin Kenshiro wrote:Question: Is Whykin an actual city in Missouri or is it a ficticious creation? I'm curious, and the net's acting funny so I can't check Mapquest, nor do I have any US Atlas's lying around. Thanks, I appreciate it.

I think it was built over another city, the name escapes me now. Poplar Bluff is what I'm thinking but that might be Kingsdale.
MADMANMIKE
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

Kingsdale was built on the ruins of West Plains, Whykin on the ruins of Poplar Bluff.

..I've got a proposal for a source book on Whykin, with a detailed history and background, as well as several OCC ideas, but I don't have the time to follow up on it.

..Something to consider however is it's location puts it in the proposed path of a new superhighway set to be built in around 2015 or so; it's supposed to have a couple of freight lanes with minimum speed limits of 85mph.

..If this were to be built, the city would have a boom before 2089 when the rifts hit, making it a major population center.

..Of course, it's less than 70 miles from the New Madrid fault line, so the original city is likely to be reduced to rubble by the cataclysm's earthquakes, but that doesn't mean there wouldn't be a huge population of "survivors" trying to make a stand in the ruins.

..perhaps it's proximity to the magic zone and the Gateway Arch would make it a several generation life and death struggle against the monsters, explaining their anti-D-bee stance.

..My background has an ironic twist to it, but I think I'll keep that to myself for the sake of a potential future project...

-Mike >8]
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

I'd love to see that, Mike. :)
Hystrix, the Post Killer, Destroyer of Threads
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Re: City of Whykin

Unread post by Dead Boy »

RoadWarriorFWaNK wrote:So there's a paragraph in the main book and a some more info in Juicer Uprisings. Has anything else been written on Whykin?

Yea, I wrote a massive section on Whykin in my Missouri project that I'm trying to get submitted. However, unless it actually gets published, it's not canon.

Dustin Fireblade wrote:Aftermath, page 144. Though its nothing new. Some additional text there on Missouri may have some effect on Whykin however.

Unfortunately that is not canon material. Those are only possible adventure suggestions.
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

I've used Whykin as a setting a couple of times. Kind a dirty town with black smoke bleching factories and a intense political situation. They manufacture a few bits of MDC technology, laser rifles (L-20 from Rifts Main) and simple body armors, as well as are armed with cast off CS stuff. Of course, every bad thing that happens can be blamed on Kingsdale.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
RoadWarriorFWaNK
Comment: on a death march

Unread post by RoadWarriorFWaNK »

the NPC*slash*PC i had who was from Whykin was killed by Mechanoids in our last session. So i guess it's not really important anymore :-(
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Dead Boy wrote:
Unfortunately that is not canon material. Those are only possible adventure suggestions.

Since when is Aftermath not canon?

And isn't Whykin a kingdom? Not to be technical, but is it only a city or is it a kingdom with "huge tracks of land..." ?
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

Hystrix wrote:
Dead Boy wrote:

Well Damn it! I know I read one little, easily overlooked line in that book that said that the material was optional and not rock solid. But do you think I can find it now? Of course not. I should have hit it with a hi-liter. :-x
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Dead Boy wrote:
Hystrix wrote:
Dead Boy wrote:

Well Damn it! I know I read one little, easily overlooked line in that book that said that the material was optional and not rock solid. But do you think I can find it now? Of course not. I should have hit it with a hi-liter. :-x

Wow! I don't know Dead Boy. I kinda think Aftermath might be canon. Otherwise what was the purpose of the book. It certainly wasn't an "alternate" setting.

Return to “Rifts®”