Movement

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Movement

Unread post by sHaka »

Hi Guys!!

I'm new to this forum, so apologies if this topic has been tackled before (though a search yielded nothing).

How do you Handle Movement in your games - I mean regarding Vehicles. Characters have a Spd attribute, so that's ok - but how do you factor in the acceleration, turning and speed of vehicles such as the Sky King or SAMAS. Knowing that something is travelling at 350 mph is all good, but it has often given me headaches regarding combat.

Anyone have any solutions/house rules that make this issue easy to manage?

Thanks,

Shaka. :)
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Way I'd do it is if it's rocket propelled, it can reach top speed in a matter of seconds...assuming the pilot is strapped in...if not, limit it to 30mph accelleration - that should be more than enough to have him / her holding on for dear life!

If it's wheeled, limit accelleration to 2.5mph per second to 30mph per second, depending on size, and engine power:weight ratio (ie: what would be reasonable).

If it's jet powered, it can accellerate in a progressive matter (starts slow and builds - like a rocket, but slower!)

etc...

In any case, it's up to YOU, and you will have to be even handed and consistant about it. :D
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

First off, welcome to the boards.

secondly, I never really worry to much about exatcs. I recommend that you stay away from exact calculations. I just say it generally takes a melee to reach top speed and it takes 1 melee action to tur it around. even if the exact times differ it's all close enough. keeps the action moving and the calculations to a minimum, and that's the important thing.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

Well, given that the Speed Attribute can be quantified as Feet Per Second, when dealing with vehicles that have their speeds measured in MPH, I just whoop out my calculator and back-track that MPH in to ft/sec. I jot that down in the book right next to the speed section of the given vehicle/PA for future reference. With two easily compairable values, I can now mix apples and oranges (or people and power armor as the case may be).

As far as acceleration, deceleration, and turning radii go, I keep it simple. Though it may not be 100% realistic, I allow the Speed attribute reflect the person or thing's ability to get up to speed. And as for turning, a long as they're not making 90-degree, right angle turns that would be impossible for anything to make, I'm pretty liberal about what's permissable.
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

ok cheers for the help you guys!! and thanks for the warm reception!!!

Return to “Rifts®”