Who else would want to see this?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Pox
Dungeon Crawler

Who else would want to see this?

Unread post by Pox »

I know this isn't the proper channels, but I just want to get an idea of who would want this:

A Rifts Tech Manual

Showing front, side, and back shots (as opposed to before seen illustrations), Size comparisons, and crew compartment locations (using shadow forms and empty spaces to show)

Kinda like the pic of the Ulti-Max in the NGR and the Sky Cycle pic in the front of the Index volume 1.

Of course, having cockpit setups for vehicles would be great also, but I figure one step at a time.
we forgive you pox - Lord Cherico
You mah main Damie, Pox - el magico -- darklorddc
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

to much effort for not enough gain. i'd never even consider buying a book if pitcures like that was all it had. the pictures are somewhat nice of them I suppose, but other than the big one that shows it all I'm not intersted in how the cockpit looks. the all angels pitures are nice but I can gennerally imagin most of it from the fornt.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

Yeah that would be fantastic but I doubt it would ever happen. I don't think every piece of tech would stand up to that kind of analysis. I can't see how some PAs would work once you put space for a pilot inside, still you can almost explain anything with nano technology.
Also PB usually dosen't want to get too specific in case it contradicts either something it has already published or things from peoples campaigns. That's why they're unwilling to publish detailed maps of ley lines, cities etc. IMHO.
I would like to see where the crew compartments are on various robots and APCs though.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Adam of the Old Kingdom
Adventurer

Unread post by Adam of the Old Kingdom »

I sugested a CS Field guide about 3 years ago. haven't seen anything yet
Munchkin Cat Minion
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Adam of the Old Kingdom wrote:I sugested a CS Field guide about 3 years ago. haven't seen anything yet

Have something in the works now for a Rifter submission
Temporalmage
Hero

Unread post by Temporalmage »

ya know, I always wondered somthing... Where's the door on the spider skull walker? How do you get in and out? Same thing for several other bots and vehicles. Kinda hard to know where to plant the fusion block...know what I mean? :demon:
http://world8.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=190003553
And TemporalMage went to the last page, Refusing to follow the trend." Ode to the Teleport Thread by The Fifth Business
And remember, "Book, Page number, and Quote", not, "Proclaim, Posture, and Belittle all those who think otherwise". Dead Boy
Pox
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Pox »

Temporalmage wrote:ya know, I always wondered somthing... Where's the door on the spider skull walker?

There is a hatch on top of the aft CR-4T laser turret, I always assumed that was the only entry point.

UAR-1 Enforcer-I go with a armored hatch on the back of the bot

O.G. SAMAS-Air intakes and head piece swing up to 90 degrees, chest piece swings down to 90 degrees

any others you want my personal two cents on?
Temporalmage
Hero

Unread post by Temporalmage »

Pox wrote:
Temporalmage wrote:ya know, I always wondered somthing... Where's the door on the spider skull walker?

There is a hatch on top of the aft CR-4T laser turret, I always assumed that was the only entry point.

UM...so ya have to climb that thing to get it? No problem at base, I'd assume they'd have moving steps like at the airport. But what about entering and exiting out in the field?? I always figured that hatch was more for peeking your head out of to use binoculars. Not actually being the main hatch. It just seems way too small for 8 peaple in armor with packs and weapons to be using, besides it doesn't say anything about SAMAS not being able to go inside a Skull Walker. And you have that 6x6x6 foot area for storage too. What are you possibly gonna get in through that little hatch to store in that area?? Come'on, the Skull Walker is way too big inside for just a teeny tiny hatch!! IMHO.
http://world8.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=190003553
And TemporalMage went to the last page, Refusing to follow the trend." Ode to the Teleport Thread by The Fifth Business
And remember, "Book, Page number, and Quote", not, "Proclaim, Posture, and Belittle all those who think otherwise". Dead Boy
GhostKnight
Adventurer

Unread post by GhostKnight »

So how about if a drafter/student spends a year doing it and submits it as a multi-part Rifter series?
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

In regards to the door to the Spider Skull Walker, I think there would be a hatch underneath the head, or a lowering platform.
A book like this would solve a lot of these questions, but it would also raise more. At least at this forum we can discuss it and make up our mind for ourselves, but a book would have hard and fast stats which many of us would not like.
What if a book like that came out and the hatch of the Spider Skull Walker was at the top? We would be having the same coversation now but it would be a winge about how stupid PB are (again).
With a good GM I don't think it really matters where the hatch on a Spider Skull Walker is.

What I really want to know is do the crew actually look through the eyes or do they just look at monitors?

The reason I ask is that once I GMed a group who came up against a Spider Walker and decided to take out the eyes, thinking they lead straight to the crew. I said the MDC for the eyes were only for the search lights and they would still have to blow through the crew compartment. They said that was silly coz all an enemy would have to do to take one out is disable the cameras/sensors and it would be blind. We reached a compromise and said that the crew compartment consisted of an MDC window that looked out but had all the MDC of the rest of the crew compartment.

It is usually only in these tricky situations that the specific details are needed.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Pox
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Pox »

MorganKeyes wrote:
Temporalmage wrote:
Pox wrote:

UM...so ya have to climb that thing to get it? No problem at base, I'd assume they'd have moving steps like at the airport. But what about entering and exiting out in the field?? I always figured that hatch was more for peeking your head out of to use binoculars. Not actually being the main hatch. It just seems way too small for 8 peaple in armor with packs and weapons to be using, besides it doesn't say anything about SAMAS not being able to go inside a Skull Walker. And you have that 6x6x6 foot area for storage too. What are you possibly gonna get in through that little hatch to store in that area?? Come'on, the Skull Walker is way too big inside for just a teeny tiny hatch!! IMHO.

I think this is one of those "We got this coool picture. And look! We made some killer stats too! What is 'Rationale Thought' you speak of? :?: :erm: "

Maybe it crouches down and a hatch like you'd find on an APC/IFV opens in the back of the skull.

Never thought of any back hatch for the Spider-Skull. Unfortunately, there is no height for the skull unit itself and is just listed as 28'9", but in its standard walking croutch, it seems that the skull is half the height of the vehicle as a whole giving it 14'4.5". So lets just give the crew compartment a height of 12 ft or 10' if you like. So with legs folded up, I'd make the height 16' total. Giving that you could just climb up on fold-down/kick-in steps (a la F-14s) on the power plant/leg hub and then a ladder to the above hatch.

As for the insides, the width is 13' and the length is 15' so giving it 6 feet both ways isnt asking for too much for that storage space. I would just put the 8 additional passengers in jump seats in two rows of 4 facing each other with the weapons locker on the back wall between the two seats or under the seats themselves in drawers (whatever).

As far as the size of the hatch being too small, just look at the hatch that tank drivers have to squeeze into on the Abrams. Its the military--comfort isnt a consideration.

Also, I would just put the nuclear power plant under the neck joint in the structure between the legs, since it is the only place I can think of and there is that vent there for cooling.

I wouldn't allow SAMAS inside for the fact that it wouldn't fit and is never mentioned as being allowed.

Pooh: I'll get back to ya on the Abolisher, I already have some ideas...just need to find my compass for perfect circles. :)
Pox
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Pox »

Pooh21 wrote:
Pox wrote:
Pooh: I'll get back to ya on the Abolisher, I already have some ideas...just need to find my compass for perfect circles. :)

Cool , thankfully my Gm decided it was a multiple comparted type deal when the party blew open the hatch and tossed my Shifter trhough to capture it based on the fact none of the others could fit through the hatch withen a few melee rounds, Praxian Shifters rock.

Well...I can't find the before mentioned compass for laying this out on graph paper, but here are my ideas

Giving that the Abolisher is only 14 ft. across that leaves 13 ft for the main body after the shoulder joints. Also, the total height is 30 ft. and with rough math and VERY liberal eyeballing of the only good picture, I figured the main body is 18 ft from the top hatch to the gooch (sorry couldnt help saying that)

Then I always take at least 6" for Main Body armor plating, conduits and wiring, and reinforced pilot compartment.

That being said we have 11 ft. across and 17 ft. for inner workings.

My idea was to break up into 3 levels connected by a central ladder shaft

level 1-ladder corridor is 4 ft across for SAMAS unit and 6 ft tall (3.5 ft wide-not spacious but hey, war is a bi*$h) with the ladder being set to the side, the rest of the crown is dedicated to ammo storage and mechanics for the 6 C-144 Auto Cannons and the sensor suites for the tower. (I almost thought about putting the 4x4x4 storage area here, but felt it was tight as is)

level 2-ladder corridor is choked down to 30 inches (about the width of a door(31") if you think it is tight)) that opens to the back and front of the abolisher since the arm motors dig into the crew space (leaving only 2ft between wall and the ladder shaft). With the inner shell wall, this leaves 4.25 on all sides of the chute. The Three gunners have their stations on the back half, while the pilot, copilot and possible 2 passengers have the front half. The height is 7 ft inside the pilot compartment.

level 3-ladder corridor stays at 30 inches and bottoms out here. Leg servos, the abdominal rotary engine, and the nuclear power plant dominates this area. Also there is the power plant for the CR-3T laser turret. Here is where I thought about putting the storage space also, but I still cant decide whether L1 or L3 is better.

Hope ya like it, if ya have any others you'd like me to hash out, just let me know.

my brain hurts. :)
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Re: Who else would want to see this?

Unread post by Dead Boy »

Pox wrote:I know this isn't the proper channels, but I just want to get an idea of who would want this:

A Rifts Tech Manual

This came up on the boards about two years ago. And now, as it was then, this is a great idea. The only problem would be it would require Palladium to nail down exactly how thier tech works in Rifts. And beleive you me, that is a lot of area to cover.
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
Adam of the Old Kingdom
Adventurer

Bestarium wrote:Now if that Tech Manual had complete rules for repairing, upgrading, researching, developing, and constructing Rifts Tech, black market information, and a couple new skills/tech oriented O.C.C's and settings...maybe we'd have a title.

Oh god please no!
if you have seen or can get your hands on the REF Field Guide for Robotech, thats the sort of thing we should have.
We have enough OCCs aleady and lets not over define the tech, chances are in a few years some one will look like a fool. (see computer memory in rifts main book)

Dustin Fireblade wrote:Have something in the works now for a Rifter submission

Rifter?
not interested in the thing.
Munchkin Cat Minion
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Adam keep a eye on the Think Tank site....you'll likely see much stuff there in the future.
Adam of the Old Kingdom
Adventurer

Dustin Fireblade wrote:Adam keep a eye on the Think Tank site....you'll likely see much stuff there in the future.

OK :ok:
Munchkin Cat Minion

Return to “Rifts®”