the name of the game

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mike Taylor

Unread post by Mike Taylor »

I never really named my campaigns. It was just Rifts or AD&D or Call of Cthulhu or whatever I was GMing at the time.

When Conversion Book 2 came out, I was going to do something I called "Princes of the Universe". In this campaign, certain ordinary people who were alive during the Great Cataclysm found themselves transformed by Ley Line energies into Godlings after dying. There the similarity to Highlander ends, though. No Quickenings or anything like that.

The campaign never got off the ground, though.
Uncle Servo
Champion

Unread post by Uncle Servo »

In my RL gaming, I never really named my campaigns. We always defined them as "Tony's Rifts World," etc.

In PBEMs, however, you see campaign names a whole lot more... I've been involved with such names as X-Patriots, Defense Of The Innocent, Steel Rifts, and Shadow & Flame. There are others, but I can't remember their names.

In csyphrett's "Nightspawn Unlimited" campaign, he has specific 'chapters' which has their own individual names... some of which has been Man Of Constant Sorrow, On The Road Again, Pancho & Lefty, The Prisoner, The Girl Who Was Death, Disasters, just to name a few.
My Artwork Samples Set on Deviant Art
Hi! I'm Danger, but today I'll be Uncle Servo's Sock Puppet. -- Danger
US <Uncle> saves the day again. -- RockJock
And Servo has engineered another good idea. -- Sentinel
Reelman
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Eliminating that not so fresh feeling from the world of role playing.

Unread post by Reelman »

Our current Rifts campaign is called "The Rolando Saga". It is about a feral Kill Hound(Rolando) who has formed an "army" of feral Dog Boys to exact revenge on the CS. It is going on 2 years now and shows no sign of ending anytime soon.
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

I remeber in one game session our group was called 1-800-Kick-A**. It was one our best games. Not an orignal or classy title. Then again we were not going for original or classy.
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

The group I GM recently dubbed themselves "The Righteous Cleansers" they are mercenary bounty hunters whose cover is an industrial cleaning company. They have a truck bearing their logo and all the cleaning gear. A classic tactic is to turn up to the scene of a battle they have just finished disguised as cleaners, there to clean it up and charge the local community for the service.
They are very competent killers, but not very good cleaners. I told them if they wanted to actually be good at cleaning then they would need to take it as a skill, that did not go down well.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

The only campaign that i've ever named is the one I'm currently runnung. it's called "Broken Dreams"
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Uncle Servo
Champion

VvMagnusvV wrote:We had three "named ones" that I ran, each had the same central NPC but with the PC's (different for each campaign) working different sides of the issue each time, until the final one which was the (oh god I cant spell this word...) denoument.

1 - Artificers Crusade
In this one, the PCs lead by a pair of twin demi gods (Twilight and Dawn), defended the earth from a dimensional overlay/take over by star trek borg like or mtg phyrexian creatures all the while the two brothers close at first grew more distant and pronounced in their personalities (good and evil, you can guess which was wich) ending with the disappearence of the good brother and the installation of the other into a major kingdom as its leader elect for life (kingdom was a personal creation that springs from campaign to campaign out of the old island of new york)

2 - Gathering Dark
The PCs in this one were agents of twilight and were duped into doing seemingly inncent or benevolant acts that brought Twilight to power at the costs of others though those costs were never obvious at first. Ended when the PCs confronted their former employer and were broken (only 2 survivors out of 7) though their final act was to locate and free Dawn from his prison, Twilight was unaware of this.

3 - A new dawn
The PCs played part of a rebel faction against twilight, eventually contributing to his ousting from power, and in the final climax Twilight and Dawn joined to create a new god Eclipse

Now I really like this idea. Were the players the same ones only with different characters?
Uncle Servo
Champion

VvMagnusvV wrote:Yes Same player group (well we added one more player but gave her the print ups of all the previous history as background)

Excellent. I'm a big fan of story-rich campaigns, and the idea of one campaign becoming the next one's backstory is a great idea indeed. :ok:
Esckey
Adventurer

Unread post by Esckey »

We've never had any good named campaigns. Our big HU one was "Powers for Pay" cause that was the name of our detective/cop/merc company. The big PF one was simply named "Evil" cause we were playing all races that were asspciated with evil such as a goblin, wolfen, orc, and a necromancer gargoyle. And a MiO/PW named "Pit Fiends" simply because that was the name of our of pirate group.

We never came up with any good names simply because the basic plot always changed. Especially the "Evil" campaign, geez when I joined in(the gargoyle) we had all been captured the broke loose and randomly targeted nearby human villages(burning them to the ground and killing almost everyone in them) simply because.....well I don't know why we just did.

Our campaigns may not be epic(the highest level anyone has attained in game was like 8th) but they sure are damn fun and memorable
God says he loves me, but I suspect he's just in it for the sex

Never underestimate someone as insane as I am

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it

"Come Filthy Assistants!!"- Spider Jerusalem
Syndicate
Adventurer

Unread post by Syndicate »

I usually give general terms to may campaigns. Only a few are deserving of a genuine name (which they received).
"What began as a gathering, ended as an organization."
Dysphunkional

Unread post by Dysphunkional »

Uncle Servo wrote:In PBEMs, however, you see campaign names a whole lot more... I've been involved with such names as X-Patriots, Defense Of The Innocent, Steel Rifts, and Shadow & Flame. There are others, but I can't remember their names.

I was in that game too. If I remember right that game kind of died before it really got going.
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

Though I loved to name the individual adventures I made and ran, while my group was still active, we never realy got into long protracted campaignes. I personally would have loved to, but the others were never really receptive to the idea. They prefered a more episodic feel to the games we played. Shame.
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]

Return to “Rifts®”