Dog Boys and OCCs

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darthauthor
Hero

Dog Boys and OCCs

Unread post by darthauthor »

Want to know.

Are Dog Boys restricted to the Dog Boy RCC?

Or can they be free born and begin as any OCC?

Or "just" adventurer OCCs?

If they are a CS deserter, can they pick another OCC?
darthauthor
Hero

Re: Dog Boys and OCCs

In part to answer my own question I came across the terms
Feral Dog Boys

born of two parents instead of being created in a CS genetic’s laboratory.

It is mentioned in one of the vampire books. They feel the pull to fight vampires in Mexico or wherever.

So a Feral Dog Boy has had no training through CS Basic and MOS school.
I figure they must keep their detection abilities and carry them over to whatever OCC they start with.

What I don't know is what, if any, limits there should be on what a Dog Boy race can play. The obvious choice would be a vampire hunter or monster hunter of some kind. In the extreme I would if they guys can play a ley line walker or warlock. It seems like, in theory, they could be anything. The reality is they would not want to give up their psionic powers with bionics/cybernetics
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

Ferals are rogue soldiers shot on sight, free borns were never in the CS army and may just be harassed when in the company of humans (WB 13, pg 38).

WB13, pg. 38-39, outline free born dog boys in detail. Also there have been a couple discussions before about natural abilities as the entry is not explicit, but I seem to recall that the consensus is free borns get all the same abilities. There is an updated mutant abnormality table on pg 38 for dog boys and it would make sense to me that free borns raised outside a controlled lab setting may differ slightly from the factory models.

Re occ in short, 50% of free borns learn the dog boy occ from family/friends and the rest can be anything, particularly of a combat or outdoor nature, except avoid magic, MOM, juicers, or bionics. Female free borns tend to occs with more learning. Secondary skill selection is modified regardless of occ selected.

It's been suggested that magic occs are avoided as they would smell nothing but their own mystic stench, negating some of their abilities and maybe the abilities of other dog boys in close proximity.
darthauthor
Hero

Grazzik,

Thanks for the reference pages for WB 13

Your reply is intelligent.

It makes sense they would avoid magic using classes.

Since they come with built in psionics I feel that they would also be excluded from psychic classes like Mind Melter.

Likewise, cybernetics/bionics, would ruin their own psionics.

I think there is a thing with Psi-stalkers and a mom and/or juicer conversion so it might be debatable if such a thing would be allowed for a Dog Boy.

From RUE:

What about a Dog Boy Cyberknight? Could a Free-born Dog Boy be a cyberknight? How would the psionics work?

Robot pilots?

Can completely be a Vagabond or Wilderness Scout.

Body Fixer? I feel yes.

Rogue Scholar? Too book learned?

Rogue Scientist?

Operator?

From the New West: The Cowboy, various gunfighters, bounty hunters and such as well as law enforcers (Sheriff Deputy, Justice Ranger, etc) and adventurers like saloon bum or something. Saddle Tramp, Professional Gambler, etc.

From Mercs: Safecracker, Super-Spy, Freelance spy, Smuggler, etc
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

darthauthor wrote:From RUE:

What about a Dog Boy Cyberknight? Could a Free-born Dog Boy be a cyberknight? How would the psionics work?

WB13 says it's a rumor that it happens, but doesn't explain how.

darthauthor wrote:Robot pilots?

THIS is the interesting one. You would assume no, but NG has built the Thunder Hound Power Armor (WB 34, pg 154) that is specifically designed for dog boys. The helmet is designed to flip open to allow the dog boy to use its natural abilities. It mentions freeborns in merc companies. So :ok:

darthauthor wrote:Body Fixer? I feel yes.

Rogue Scholar? Too book learned?

Rogue Scientist?

Operator?

The book specifically calls these all out as tending to be female free borns, but I would say open to all.

darthauthor wrote:From the New West: The Cowboy, various gunfighters, bounty hunters and such as well as law enforcers (Sheriff Deputy, Justice Ranger, etc) and adventurers like saloon bum or something. Saddle Tramp, Professional Gambler, etc.

From Mercs: Safecracker, Super-Spy, Freelance spy, Smuggler, etc

Mercs, vagabonds and spies definitely, but no mention of others. However, I would say yes if the occ played to the dog boy innate sense of protecting humans.

However, one question that comes to mind is, for western occs, whether horses would have problems being ridden by a canine? Anyone with any insight into how horses and dogs interact?
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

technically a Dogboy can be ANY OCC that is not really a RCC

so a dogboy cannot be a dragon for instance

with that said if you read the lonestar it says that dogboys CAN be any OCC like RPA elite, and robot pilots, any psychic class, I would say NO to psy stalker, they would as mentioned avoid crazy, borg, juicer and similar
operator sure, mage classes I would say they could but most wouldn't because it would require fighting instincts and similar.

lone star mentions that some dog boys were trained as other occ's as experiments., but the reality is if you compare occ's the standard dogboy occ is essentially a grunt
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

darthauthor wrote:Want to know.

In RUE, Looking at it intelligently,
The psi-hound is a race listing now with a OCC label slapped on it (much like how in the older books the race listing was slapped with a RCC label on it and mushed it with the RCC (racial class)), but having a RCC (listed an OCC) listed with & mixed up with the race listing.

CS born/made DogBoys can have any of the OCCs listed as for Psi-hounds. I know of two, the typical psi-hound Class, and the Sea hound class. there might be a DB the INSET class for psi-hounds.

Freeborn/Feral: the only limitation placed on them is...they tend to stay away from Magic. So in essence...if the GM is randomly rolling for a class for a Freeborn PH then they should weight their rolls against the PH from having a magic Class. But if the Player is picking the class...no restrictions other than that they can learn the class before they die of old age.

If a deserter, No, they can't. There are no canon changing class rules in rifts. The GM would have to make a house-rule to import the PF canon changing class rules from the HighSeas book.
Footnote: Some people will point out the ""changing class rules" in the cutting room Floor, these rules are both "optional" till they are published (as in in a gamebook) and they are still for the PFRPG game & Not Rifts rules. All of which still requires the GM to make a house rule to import them into the Rifts Game. Even then they are not canon for the rifts game. Saying this truth will irk some people here who will state that said rules are rifts canon even when they are not.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

The psi-hound is a race listing now with a OCC label slapped on it (much like how in the older books the race listing was slapped with a RCC label on it and mushed it with the RCC (racial class)), but having a RCC (listed an OCC) listed with & mixed up with the race listing.

CS born/made DogBoys can have any of the OCCs listed as for Psi-hounds. I know of two, the typical psi-hound Class, and the Sea hound class. there might be a DB the INSET class for psi-hounds.

Freeborn/Feral: the only limitation placed on them is...they tend to stay away from Magic. So in essence...if the GM is randomly rolling for a class for a Freeborn PH then they should weight their rolls against the PH from having a magic Class. But if the Player is picking the class...no restrictions other than that they can learn the class before they die of old age.

If a deserter, No, they can't. There are no canon changing class rules in rifts. The GM would have to make a house-rule to import the PF canon changing class rules from the HighSeas book.
Footnote: Some people will point out the ""changing class rules" in the cutting room Floor, these rules are both "optional" till they are published (as in in a gamebook) and they are still for the PFRPG game & Not Rifts rules. All of which still requires the GM to make a house rule to import them into the Rifts Game. Even then they are not canon for the rifts game. Saying this truth will irk some people here who will state that said rules are rifts canon even when they are not.

I know this is still your position but there was a FAQ or a question about changing OCC's in rifts and it explicitially said to use the rules from the cutting room floor (which was cut due space) and they haven't decided to put it in a core book
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

Your comment reads as if you believe people are NOT looking at it "intelligently". Please watch the tone of your posts. I would not want to issue you a warning.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I tried the word objectively before and was harassed by by other posters when using that word when talking about the about how poorly the formate Psi-hound text was written.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

No Lone star has alternate occ for dog boys and feral are known to be non dog boy OCCs.

As long as the OCC is not restricted so generally yes.

Given there are examples of non adventure occs like a dog boy cyber knight no they are not limited as such.

It would be dependent on dual class rules, officially listed in PF high seas.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.

Return to “Rifts®”