Are there any magic super weapons detailed in any book?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Are there any magic super weapons detailed in any book?

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

I just noticed in Merc Town theres a magic quarter near the weapons quarter and one of the shops allegedly has a vast array of magic weapons, including large powerful devices used to level whole cities. But the shop does not mention a single magic weapon by name or book. All of a sudden it occurred to me that in this setting there have to be at least a few supremely powerful weapons of magic, but darned if I can remember any being detailed in a book I've read so far. I seem to recall a few very large constructs coming out of Tolkeen during the war. Thats all.
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.
Aermas
Explorer
Comment: There are two kinds of people in this world, those who quote people, & those who people quote

-Aermas

Re: Are there any magic super weapons detailed in any book?

Unread post by Aermas »

A Dominator's Pistol from Phaseworld is pretty devastating
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Shorty Lickens wrote:I just noticed in Merc Town theres a magic quarter near the weapons quarter and one of the shops allegedly has a vast array of magic weapons, including large powerful devices used to level whole cities. But the shop does not mention a single magic weapon by name or book. All of a sudden it occurred to me that in this setting there have to be at least a few supremely powerful weapons of magic, but darned if I can remember any being detailed in a book I've read so far. I seem to recall a few very large constructs coming out of Tolkeen during the war. Thats all.

Got a reference on the "level whole cities" bit? There's several magic weapon dealers in the Mystic Quarter, but none that say they sell stuff that destroy cities.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

I don't think most of the weapons of that scale are for sale, tech or magic. If you are looking for magic weapons of that level I think there are several in the War on Tolkeen series.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Warshield73 wrote:I don't think most of the weapons of that scale are for sale, tech or magic. If you are looking for magic weapons of that level I think there are several in the War on Tolkeen series.

Nope. Tolkeen didn't have any city-destroying super weapons. Which is also why they didn't use them to win the war.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

in one of our campaigns My character (who after a while was "the Goddess of High tech warfare" had several "super weapons" that could devastate cities and even planets. if she chose to.

two of her weakest weapons were: a couple Syncro Cannons.
one was mounted in a "bent space pocket" inside a shemarrian railgun shell.
the other was shoulder mounted on a 75ton mecha.

the next one she had and only used it once was a thermite/plasma anti-starship mine that was designed to take out large capital starships (she disguised it as a Fusion block roughly the size of a paperback book) but in actuality the bomb inside was a plasma mine that did something like 1d6X 10,000 MDC to a significant area.

her Last "super weapon" was a starship 1600m long with multiple weapons batteries including space to ground bombardment capability.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Even a device built around a Spell of Legend only really does about city block-worth damage.
So, what you gotta do is work on packaging a multi-casting of some really destructive spell like Meteor Strike or Hale Storm to cover a larger area(and in the case of storms, 'soak' an area in destruction for a while). I had some MIRV TW spell warheads that could sock an area with multiple tornados, tsunamis, or earthquakes, and level a good-sized chunk of city, and a few space-based warheads that could EMP a planet or melt a space station.

Another approach would be to use the Rifts themselves as a weapon of mass destruction....find a way to remotely open a rift to a set deadly environment, like the coronasphere of a star or the hell-atmosphere of a Venus-style planet and let superheated solar plasma or high-pressure poison gas do the trick. Find a way to phase-drop TW warheads with the Annihilation spell under the streets of a city(If you don't wanna just airburst the place) and detonate them underground to start dropping buildings.

Tech-wise? The closest you can probably get is buy a Naruni super-suicide supertank(Naruni Wave 2), then find somebody stupid or angry enough to strap in and go on a revenge-run. Hope you don't live anywhere nearby.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Shorty Lickens wrote:I just noticed in Merc Town theres a magic quarter near the weapons quarter and one of the shops allegedly has a vast array of magic weapons, including large powerful devices used to level whole cities. But the shop does not mention a single magic weapon by name or book. All of a sudden it occurred to me that in this setting there have to be at least a few supremely powerful weapons of magic, but darned if I can remember any being detailed in a book I've read so far. I seem to recall a few very large constructs coming out of Tolkeen during the war. Thats all.

There are actually very few Super-Weapons, tech or magic that actually get stated. Making a TW device powerful enough to fall into the Super-Weapons category shouldn't be too difficult per say. And there are spells that would be ripe for use in a weapon of such classification in a TW device of suitable device level (most could be cast alone and be a danger to a part of a "city"):
-Annihilate (Level 14 Wizard),
-Collapse (Level 13 Wizard)
-Summon & Control Storm (Level 13 Wizard, Level 7 Water Elemental version)
-Firequake (Level 11 Wizard, Level 8 Earth Warlock)
-Tidal Wave (Level 8 Water Elemental), limited in where you can cast it, but at 10th level you would be talking about a 2,000ft long by 100ft high Tidal Wave. Damage might not be great, but the secondary effects of a Tidal Wave hitting should not be discounted.
-Hurricane (Level 6 Water Warlock, Level 7 Air Warlock)
-Snow Storm (Level 5 Water Warlock, Level 6 Air Warlock)
-River of Lava (Level 7 Fire Warlock, Level 7 Earth Warlock)
-Earthquake (Level 7 Earth Warlock)
-Tornado (Level 7 Air Warlock)

taalismn wrote:Tech-wise? The closest you can probably get is buy a Naruni super-suicide supertank(Naruni Wave 2), then find somebody stupid or angry enough to strap in and go on a revenge-run. Hope you don't live anywhere nearby.

Tech-wise you're probably looking at Nuclear Weapons (found in CS Navy, not the wimpy ones on the missile table). If you pull from Robotech, Syncro-Cannons and Reflex Cannons. The Rifter of course has Giga-Damage weapons (vol. 9.5), but no one seriously uses those do they?

You can make extremely powerful weapons out of Naruni Plasma Cartridges or CFT Cartridges if you lay enough of them out in a large enough array to fire simultaneously... Let's just say 1x 2E RT standard SRM diameter (190mm) worth of CFTs doing this could destroy a stock NEW USA G10 Glitterboy on anything but a minimum damage roll (unless laser resistance is a factor with the CFT energy). Old Topic: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=179139
Rifter11
Wanderer

Unread post by Rifter11 »

Page 12 of the Vampire Sourcebook details a Doomsday Machine that CAN be a nuke, depending on the foe.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Rifter11 wrote:Page 12 of the Vampire Sourcebook details a Doomsday Machine that CAN be a nuke, depending on the foe.

Depending on GM's call more like. It's a Macguffin and it explictly says nobody knows what happens when it is turned on. Which I guess means that sure, magical nuke is as valid as any other thing the GM says it does.

Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Rifter11 wrote:Page 12 of the Vampire Sourcebook details a Doomsday Machine that CAN be a nuke, depending on the foe.

Depending on GM's call more like. It's a Macguffin and it explictly says nobody knows what happens when it is turned on. Which I guess means that sure, magical nuke is as valid as any other thing the GM says it does.

I just reread the description and it says that Reid, and by extension NPCs and PCs in game, don't know but we as GMs and players can clearly see the description and if it had been used on Chitown it would created a nuclear explosion generating a 1D4 mile crater. So against tech enemies, yep it's a nuke.
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Warshield73 wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

I just reread the description and it says that Reid, and by extension NPCs and PCs in game, don't know but we as GMs and players can clearly see the description and if it had been used on Chitown it would created a nuclear explosion generating a 1D4 mile crater. So against tech enemies, yep it's a nuke.

Ah, that was in the section *above* the one I was reading.

Okay, so it's described as "A pre-Rifts nuclear device"

So...now i'm just confused why it was brought up in a thread about Magical super weapons. This is clearly an ordinary technological one. The only unknown is if a Vampire Intelligence is immune or not.

Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

Ah, that was in the section *above* the one I was reading.

Okay, so it's described as "A pre-Rifts nuclear device"

So...now i'm just confused why it was brought up in a thread about Magical super weapons. This is clearly an ordinary technological one. The only unknown is if a Vampire Intelligence is immune or not.

No keep reading. but spoilers so don't read it if your GM is going to use it.

Spoiler:
It is a magical device that Tolkeen was going to use on Chitown. Against that enemy the sphere would have chosen to mystically generate a massive nuclear explosion. Against vamps blinding ball of sunshine that vaporizes vamps and leaves normal people mostly unharmed. You could imagine it working differently against demons and deevils. In Phase World I have been trying to imagine how it would work against Promeatheans.
EliBenedict
Wanderer

Unread post by EliBenedict »

A kind of wierd, niche option, but if you had a greater rune weapon and a magic cauldron of destruction (Rifts England), and didn't mind waiting a couple hours, you could effectively smuggle in, and suddenly release a grumpy alien intelligence into the middle of an unsuspecting city (but they'd have to be at a ley line nexus and you could only do it at a solstice.) That is, of course, assuming you interpret the cauldron to release the captured essence of a rune weapon when that weapon is destroyed. If you found the right rune weapon, with the right alien intelligence in it (ideally one that's especially belligerent, and can't easily teleport away,) that could be pretty devastating.

Return to “Rifts®”