Meditation and the new Manhunter book

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

elecgraystone
Adventurer

Meditation and the new Manhunter book

Unread post by elecgraystone »

In the new book they 'Revisited & Clarified' meditation as a skill and a psionic power. great so for... So I'm looking through the skill part and it goes into how it works for those with PPE, ISP and even those without both. Which leads to my question. It's a skill but they don't give it a category or say if it can be taken as a secondary skill: all it does is say psychics get it for free but doesn't mention how other get it. This seems a pretty big omission for "definitive and simplified rules for Meditation".

Now on to advanced meditation. Under Master Psychics it says they recover 6 I.S.P. per 30 minutes unless indicated otherwise (more or less) under
a Psychic O.C.C./P.C.C. Later it says If no I.S.P. amount is specified, 4 I.S.P. are recovered per 30 minutes... So if it doesn't say is it 6 or 4?
Impeesa
D-Bee

Re: Meditation and the new Manhunter book

Unread post by Impeesa »

On the first point, China 2 has it under Physical. For non-psychics, that might be the best you're going to get. On the second point, it's a little visually misleading because it's a new paragraph after a page break, but the 4/30 min rate seems to be specifically for the Mystic and other similar hybrid OCC/RCCs. What I'm more interested in is that every single human with even a single minor power can now get 8 hours of rest in just 4 hours of meditation (give or take a few skill roll retries). Yes, a substantial portion of the human population are now D&D elves. I'm sure the ramifications of this for productivity will be addressed in the future.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Dead Regin's Main Book has the Meditation skill under the Technical Category. Which is the only place I've seen it as a selectable skill.

The only place in Rifts where I have even seen it as a skill off-hand AFAIK is in World Book 8 Japan for the Bishimon, Shoei, and Yamabushi OCCs and Palladium Fantasy 2E's Warrior Monk OCC where it is presented as a specialized skill (and at different rates) for their respective OCCs. That doesn't mean other OCC/RCCs don't have it, just that I can't think of any.

I don't have Manhunter (not interested either in another CS-love book either) so cannot comment directly, but it would seem based on your OP that you have to spend an Other/Related Skill and it is open w/o restrictions regardless of initial printings for the OCC in whatever Skill Category it does end up in.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

That meditation can be substituted for sleep has long been hilarious, and I assume that, even though it's made explicit that non-psychics can take the skill and there are no exceptions made for the replacement, that Siembieda doesn't think that a large percentage of the CS population just don't sleep. The stealth nerf to Mystics specifically was a nice touch, because that was the practitioner of magic OCC that really needed taking down a peg.

The thing I like the best about this depiction of Meditation is this line under Restorative Properties of the Meditation Skill: Practitioners of Magic: Recover 6 P.P.E. per level of experience per hour of meditation, unless their O.C.C. description states a higher or lesser amount.

This is not repeated under the Meditation, Advanced ability, and it's stated that "A psychic with both will always use Meditation, Advanced." I haven't gone through the different OCCs to find which ones both don't have the Meditation psionic power and don't list their PPE recharge rate per hour of sleep or meditation, but figure bad editing gave a stealth buff somewhere unexpected, presumably to make up for shafting Mystics.
elecgraystone
Adventurer

Impeesa wrote:On the second point, it's a little visually misleading because it's a new paragraph after a page break, but the 4/30 min rate seems to be specifically for the Mystic and other similar hybrid OCC/RCCs.
I'm referring to the Master psychic above the Mystic entry. The Mystic entry is for "Mystics, dragons, and any character who possesses both psionic and magical abilities". The section I'm referring to is specifically for Master Psychic O.C.C./P.P.C.'s where at the start it says they recover 6 per 30 min if it doesn't mention a recovery rate while at the end is says the default is 4 per 30 min.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

There is an 's' at the end of that title. The other one is a book they don't sell anymore.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
elecgraystone
Adventurer

Zer0 Kay wrote:There is an 's' at the end of that title. The other one is a book they don't sell anymore.

I would think the addition of "new" would be enough to alleviate any confusion between the recently released Palladium book and one that was released in 1994 by Myrmidon Press.

Return to “Rifts®”